Weight going up after just 2 lifting sessions??? ugh!

Hi everyone!

I just started a new weight lifting program on Sunday (got 2 sessions in so far). I have not done any weight training in YEARS! so I am kinda brand new. I am so sore right now just after 2 workouts and my scale is already up by 3 lbs since my offical weigh in on Saturday morning.
I expected the scale to go up. I guess my question is how long will it go up for? How much more will it go up? It will eventually level out I am guessing. I still have about 40 more pounds I would like to lose, will building muscle help me lose the weight in the long run?

I keep telling myself to trust the process and be patient, but I am not a patient person (I have gotten better though)

I guess I just need some reassurance that I am doing the right thing, and the scale WILL go down LOL

Thank you.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Qbaimee wrote: »
    I still have about 40 more pounds I would like to lose, will building muscle help me lose the weight in the long run?
    With that much to lose, I'd suggest focusing on cardio first since that burns more calories in the same workout time. I'm not suggesting don't do resistance training at all btw. Just saying, if your primary goal is weight loss and if say 100% of your workout time is lifting weights (for example, I know you didn't say that), progress may not be as fast as you hope.

Having more muscle will help you burn more calories at rest but it's not substantial. Estimates are about 5 calories per pound per day, if you weigh the same and have exchanged X pounds of fat for X pounds of muscle.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    @sijomial is right on, as usual.

To add some commentary: intense weightlifting is a proven way to add muscle mass to your body. It's most effective if you do it at a time where you don't mind adding a few pounds. During a weight loss period (cutting), it can be a bit harder to do, I've found. My experience is that it makes me hungry, but it doesn't burn that many calories, so it tests my self-control.

So, if it is your goal to lose weight overall, I'd approach workouts with a very slightly different attitude. I'd up the reps and lower the weight, basically. I'd have days where you do cardio, mixing high and low intensity. It sounds complicated, but it can be as easy as getting on an elliptical trainer with both arms and legs. (Or many other activities, including jogging, cycling, stationary cycle, swimming, hiking. No end to the possibilities.)

Classes that focus on sustained full-body training within your capabilities are fantastic. I hesitate to mention CrossFit only because it is a very hard workout and many people get discouraged by it. But there are many full-body aerobic exercise classes at all levels on YouTube and at most gyms. They are fun when it challenges you just enough and particularly when you get to know some of the other participants. The main thing is to work up slowly to avoid being totally sore. Some soreness is fine and you need to find your level of (dis) comfort.

Best of luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Qbaimee wrote: »
    I still have about 40 more pounds I would like to lose, will building muscle help me lose the weight in the long run?
    With that much to lose, I'd suggest focusing on cardio first since that burns more calories in the same workout time. I'm not suggesting don't do resistance training at all btw. Just saying, if your primary goal is weight loss and if say 100% of your workout time is lifting weights (for example, I know you didn't say that), progress may not be as fast as you hope.

Having more muscle will help you burn more calories at rest but it's not substantial. Estimates are about 5 calories per pound per day, if you weigh the same and have exchanged X pounds of fat for X pounds of muscle.
    Burning more calories in a time span would matter if you wanted that, but the reality is you could resistance train and just eat a little less to equal calorie deficit needed to lose weight. Weight loss still is just about calorie deficit. And just doing cardio doesn't cause that to happen. Also, cardio doesn't have the same effect on resting metabolic rate as resistance training does (unless it's lit HIIT). And you burn the most fat at rest than doing any execise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png