Losing Weight on Scales but look more lumpy and fat around the stomach

Options
osheaemily5523
osheaemily5523 Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Guys
I've lost about 9kg and have gone down in clothes sizes but in terms of looks I can see no change except my stomach looks bigger and now has more lumps and rolls then originally? Is this normal? How do I get rid of them ?
Thanks
Emily

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Right answer from lietchi! Our fat cells can give up fat from anywhere within an area of body fat - it doesn't come off the outside first and proceed neatly inward. As a result, the fat mass can be more lumpy, bumpy, squishy, floppy . . . and even hang more, since the remaining fat inside the skin conspires with gravity to hang down more. (Think about how a water balloon looks when full - firm and round - vs. when some of the water is taken out with no air to replace the water - squishier and floppier.)

It's part of the normal process. What you should do is keep on keeping on: As the fat continues to deplete (via weight loss), the area will eventually get smaller and less squishy. Some of that can continue even after reaching goal weight.

I get that it can be frustrating, but you have the stick-to-it-iveness to make this happen.

About the only option in the short run might be to wear an inner layer of some kind of close-fitting compressive clothing. I'm not talking waist trainers (too extreme!), but like a spandex/stretchy layer, maybe even Spanx or one of its competitors for dress-up - nothing extreme.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    And, hey, Emily. Have someone take some photos of you.

For many of us, it’s much easier to see and gauge change from photos than from the mirror.
  • lynz2137
    lynz2137 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    liquid collagen helps to firm up the loose skin.
  • osheaemily5523
    osheaemily5523 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone really helping with the insecurities
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    @IAmTheGlue what a great analogy!!!!!

So true!!!!!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options