Has Myfitnesspal helped anyone to lose weight?

2»

Replies

• natetogg
    natetogg Posts: 7 Member
    It's inevitable to loose weight if you have more calories going out than you have coming in.
  • JaneAero
    JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
    Im 63 female 5ft 4, not very active due to ill-health and I primarily log my food to keep an eye on it. I eat anywhere from 800-day if I'm not feeling hungry, right up to 1600 a day, usually around 1400.
    Since May the 1st ..3 months ago I have lost 25 lb without even trying, mainly because it's been so hot here in the UK that only thing I fancied was salads.
  • faux109
    faux109 Posts: 2 Member
    It 100% works, I bounced from 16stone to 13st 7 about 4 years ago, stopped logging and went back to 16stone 7 over the next three years now back on the journey of logging again and back to 13stone 13.

As soon as you honestly log calories over a sustained period it will move the scales, maybe not immediately, maybe not the same each day but it will move them.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    So I'm meant to be having 1,200 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week to get to my goal weight? Is anyone in the same position and actually lost weight from reducing your calorie intake? I need motivation I don't know if I'm doing the right thing.
    So I'm meant to be having 1,200 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week to get to my goal weight? Is anyone in the same position and actually lost weight from reducing your calorie intake? I need motivation I don't know if I'm doing the right thing.

The only way to really lose weight is to have a calorie reduction. If you don’t reduce calories and eat less than you burn, you won’t lose weight.

1200 isn’t accurate for everyone, but if you stick to it and log properly you should see a definite weight loss.
  • jmf552
    jmf552 Posts: 47 Member
    edited August 2022
    I have just finished two months using MFP and exercise to lose 18 pounds, a bit more than 2 pounds a week. I can only say what has worked and has not worked for me. I have tried and failed in the past, but now I'm on a roll.

Worked:
    • Making MFP and exercise a habit. There are a lot of books out there on habits, but I'm using Atomic Habits by James Clear and also using his Habit Journal. It has really worked for me.
    • I'm following the exercise plan in the Younger Next Year series of books. There are plenty of comparable routines, but that one is good for me. I'd say find what works for you and stick with it.
    • I have MFP set for one pound a week and I also get one pound a week (3500 calories) of exercise a week, and guess what? I have lost two pounds a week!
    • I track my exercise in MFP but I do NOT have it set to have exercise change my calorie requirements. I just make a record of it. It gets too confusing otherwise.
    • I have exercise options. I don't do the same cardio or the same strength training every day. I go for a comparable result each day, but I mix it up.

Didn't work
    • Setting my eating goals for more than one pound a week. I feel too deprived and give up.
    • Trying to load up my exercise into a few days a week. I look at all the exercise I plan to do in a week and space it out over seven days a week, so each day is roughly the same effort and doesn't feel like a marathon.
    • Getting upset about messing up a day, like going over on calories or not getting in exercise. It's gonna happen. You can't beat yourself up over it. Just stick with the process. And I never play "catch up." If I mess up a day, I just put it in the past. Like "Atomic Habits" says, "Missing one day is recoverable. Just never miss two in a row."
    • Paying too much attention to the scale. It will fluctuate. I pay attention to the process. That's the key for me.
  • PKDfighter74
    PKDfighter74 Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2022
    I started tracking in May 2020 and tracked faithfully for 5 months then was able to continue losing without tracking after that. I lost 90lbs in 10 months and have maintained that loss for a year. I now re-joined mfp and have been faithfully tracking for a week and am down 3lbs this week. It works for me.