What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2022
    Back to it today. Wasn't happy that my first day back in town was a harder day. Did the 5 X 30 X 3 workout today -- 30 reps of compound shoulders, legs, chest X 5 sets. Felt hard. Finished right before lunch (I break this up throughout my morning, starting at 6 AM, so it's not too brutal).

Right from last set into my hard interval row today -- 3 X 888m / 90 second recovery. Thought I could hold a 1:57 pace but couldn't. Ended up dying on the last one for a 2:00.3 average. Need to do this one over again when I'm fresher and, ideally, not right after the lift. Wasn't that hot for Tucson (around 86 at lunch) but was very humid for here -- right at around 45% humidity. Mostly just feeling sluggish from driving 6 hours yesterday and sleeping in a hotel bed for four days.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,688 Member
    The last set was awful on my shoulders and my back said we stop here...

Every leg day I always have bruises across my shoulders from the bar. My wife used to be concerned for me, but these days she just looks, grunts "must be leg day" and goes back to what she was doing, lol.
  • nossmf
    Speaking of leg day, I was able to knock it out today!

Squats, RDL, leg press, leg extend, lying leg curls

Will be sporting my usual leg-day-shoulder-bruises later, I'm sure, lol.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Every leg day I always have bruises across my shoulders from the bar. My wife used to be concerned for me, but these days she just looks, grunts "must be leg day" and goes back to what she was doing, lol.

For real, front- and backsquats equal shoulder bruises, cleans equal collarbone bruises, snatches equal thigh bruises from catching the bar. You can always tell what I did from the bruises I'm sporting 😂
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Elliptical 233 minutes for 16.47 miles. Skipped the weights today as I had errands to get done. My 6 days off is over, back to work Wednesday.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Sometimes I don't even know what I'm thinking. Sure, it was not as hot as sometimes, but it was hot enough (mid-80s F). Nonetheless, somehow it seemed like a plan to go for a bike ride, then go row at the open rowing session.

Fortunately (?), I got a late start on the bike ride, so only rode 16.4 miles, in order to get home, change, and have a snack before leaving for the boathouse. (I took a side trip on the bike ride to do my primary voting thing - my first "vote by bike" (sorta).)

I was smart enough at the boathouse to recruit a more youthful double partner (share the work!), but the water turned really lovely and flat (especially after the jet ski guys left), so we rowed 8.6k rather than just the usual 7k-ish bridge to bridge.

There was some Z3 in each of the bike/row, but the bulk of both was quite easy pace, Z2 and below. Like I said, it was still kinda hot. Now I'm hungry . . . and I have a couple of calories in my budget. 😉

@Djproulx, glad to see you're moving ahead on your rehab/progression. Wishing you steady recovery, in all senses of the word!

It's also nice to see some new participants in this thread - so interesting to see all the different things folks do to enjoy being active!
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    I had a good morning workout. I managed to eat a bit before going so my energy levels were okay.
    We did:
    3 min of max wall balls. For ever 5 wall ballls you could substract 50 meters from the aerobics stuff. I got 60 wall balls with a 4kg ball.
    1 min rest.
    Then 10 min to complete either 2K row, 1,5K ski or 5K bike minus the wall ball meters. So for me that was 900 meters of ski machine in 4:11. Not my strongest pace but considering I hadn't used the ski machine since I hurt my back I'm happy. Every minute felt like 5 minutes.
    The remaining time was rest.
    Then we had 10 min to get to a heavy double deadlift. Deadlifts were a big no with my back but I wanted to try to build up again so I started at empty bar (15kg), through 20kg, 25kg, 30kg and ended with 35kg. I was completely exhausted. My back felt okay but got tired way faster than it used to and my hamstrings had 't been used much either so I feel those and my hip flexors too.

After that I did part of the gymnastics homework. We were supposed tp do beatswings but my hands refused to cooperate. I tried to hang from the bar but just slid right off.
    So I did 3 sets of 10 banded lat pull downs and 10 banded rows.
    3 sets of 5 negative ring rows with the TRX.
    4 sets of 10 DB bent over row and DB bicep curls with a 5kg DB.
    And 3 sets of 20 banded lat pulldowns with a stick.
    I am done for the day. Might walk a bit around town but nothing strenuous.
  • AnnPT77
    Back to the usual 7k rowing bow of the double - under threat of a storm, but we got the row in. Did a group of steady 10 (stroke) hard, 10 moderate intervals once we got out of the area that was a little roller-y due to wind direction and intense due to wind strength (depending on whether we were going upstream/upwind or downstream/downwind). There were even a couple of minutes of Z4 in there, but still mostly below.

Between today's power intervals and yesterday's 16 mi bike/8.6k row, my quads/calves are a little bit "WTF, Ann?" but this, too, shall pass. 😆
  • nossmf
    Push Day in the weight room...

Bench press, incline bench press, decline machine press, seated overhead press, cable press-down

Have to laugh, @MikePfirrman how you equate 150 HR with "easy day". When I'm doing my elliptical sessions, my peak HR is around 150 also, but considering how much I'm huffing and puffing I'd hardly call them "easy!" lol

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, I suspect I don't get to 150 even when climbing hard. (Fitbit claims 130 max for my most recent session, although I suspect it is duff data.) Bouldering tends to be more akin to sprinting than endurance events. I don't really pay attention to the Fitbit; there will be periods between climbs of lying on the mats when I physically can't move.

I went climbing today. It was good, my best session for a while. I got three new projects in one room. The other room had been reset, and I got quite a lot of the new routes in it.

I only lasted 90 minutes. I did a lot more overhangs and dynos than usual, so I may have worked harder.
  • AnnPT77
    The thing is, though, that raw heart rate achieved in exercise isn't very meaningful. Percent of max, or percent of reserve, can be somewhat useful (maybe), assuming a person knows their true max (or has a good estimate - since the common age-based estimates can be way off for a fair fraction of people). IMU, max is more about genetics than training - it doesn't increase by training, though I've read that regular CV athletes hold onto a higher max as they age compared with people who don't exercise as much.

Even with accurate estimates, HR is more useful in cardiovascular exercise, and not so much so in things with factors that influence heart rate via mechanisms other than oxygen uptake. (For example, heart rate goes up in strength training through strain/pressure, so the cardiovascular benefit of X heart rate isn't the same, even in the same person. The strength-y-er the cardio modality, the more heart rate could mislead. In other scenarios, HR can go up for other non-oxygen-consumption reasons, like ambient heat.)

I think Mike's HR ranges are higher than mine, from memory, not sure. For me, 150 would be roughly 83% max, or 75% reserve. That's not that high - someone who does endurance CV ought to be able to hold that rate for quite a while.

I'm not dissing Mike's workouts when I say that - quite the contrary! He's getting a lot of power out of the HR levels he's hitting on the moderate steady state (HR limited) workouts.

The raw heart rate number that represents 75% or 80% of max or reserve will differ by HR max, and reserve will differ based on resting rate besides. Obviously, someone with a higher max will have a higher raw number as their 80% max, or a lower one with a lower max.
  • emailnumber308
    emailnumber308 Posts: 116 Member
    30 min hiit.
  • 40 minute strength ( upper body and core) and 1 hour run 😁😁👍🏻👍🏻
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2022
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The thing is, though, that raw heart rate achieved in exercise isn't very meaningful. Percent of max, or percent of reserve, can be somewhat useful (maybe), assuming a person knows their true max (or has a good estimate - since the common age-based estimates can be way off for a fair fraction of people). IMU, max is more about genetics than training - it doesn't increase by training, though I've read that regular CV athletes hold onto a higher max as they age compared with people who don't exercise as much.

Even with accurate estimates, HR is more useful in cardiovascular exercise, and not so much so in things with factors that influence heart rate via mechanisms other than oxygen uptake. (For example, heart rate goes up in strength training through strain/pressure, so the cardiovascular benefit of X heart rate isn't the same, even in the same person. The strength-y-er the cardio modality, the more heart rate could mislead. In other scenarios, HR can go up for other non-oxygen-consumption reasons, like ambient heat.)

I think Mike's HR ranges are higher than mine, from memory, not sure. For me, 150 would be roughly 83% max, or 75% reserve. That's not that high - someone who does endurance CV ought to be able to hold that rate for quite a while.

I'm not dissing Mike's workouts when I say that - quite the contrary! He's getting a lot of power out of the HR levels he's hitting on the moderate steady state (HR limited) workouts.

The raw heart rate number that represents 75% or 80% of max or reserve will differ by HR max, and reserve will differ based on resting rate besides. Obviously, someone with a higher max will have a higher raw number as their 80% max, or a lower one with a lower max.

Yep. All accurate. I think my max is like 194 or so. But I know some people that max out at over 200. 150 is really too hard for a steady state day (and like 80% of max for me). I don't use HRR that often, but if I did the math on it, it would likely (I'm sure) lower as a percentage of HRR. My RHR (resting heart rate) is like 50. Now, I've been doing massive amounts of cardio for years. When I started doing cardio, when I was obese, it was in the mid 60s. Just means my heart is much more efficient now.

Also, the 150 is from cardio drift. I likely had a pace too fast yesterday. My first 10 minutes is usually barely in the 120s, then the next 20 minutes in the 130s and low 140s. Only the last ten minutes did it reach 150, but on an ideal true "steady state" workout, it should rise to around 65% to 70% max and not exceed that (for me, around 143/144). If I had better discipline, because I'm a huge proponent of polarized training (keeping your easy days easy and your hard days hard), I wouldn't hit 150.

With that said, at 150, I can talk without a ton of effort and, when my wife isn't home, I might even sign along to songs on my Spotify -- need to get ready for Seniors Karaoke nights! Talking is actually a great way to check and see if you're working too hard. Singing is also a great way to check. If you can sing along while you're doing cardio, you're not working too hard. On hard days, I'm struggling just to breath and get oxygen to my brain by the last set. But that type of hard is something you acclimate to over time and really shouldn't do unless you have built up a solid base cardio program.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    I lifted, doing:
    Hangboarding. My fingers are pretty strongk at the moment.
    Weighted pull up I got +25 kgs, a PR.
    Bench 3 sets of 5, 50 kgs
    Deadlift 2 sets of 7, 100 kgs

I only got 12k steps in, making it (I think), the most sedentary day of the year so far.

One thing I forgot to log was a trip to the sea this weekend. My Mum wanted to watch the sunset from Hunstanton, so I drove her there. I was a bit under-prepared, so when I went for a swim I just wore my boxers. Normally, I last about 40 seconds, turn blue, and insist to onlookers that it's lovely once you're in. This time, it was genuinely a nice temperature, so I got a decent swim in.

b4eoa0i6nerk.jpg
    dhokz05pdg00.jpg

Love the fact that you swam in boxers. :) Nice stroke. High elbows on the return and head in the water. Think you must spend some time on the surface, not just underwater!