Pizza dough!

2»

Replies

• On Youtube look up, Poolish, a Pre-Fermentation Method <-- most amazing pizza crust ever. It's very basic, flour, yeast, a little salt. The secret ingredient is time and treating the dough like a beautiful baby. I talk to my dough, seems to help. The result is an amazing pizza dough. Light, fluffy, smooth as silk texture, that amazing yeast-smell.

I put a little high quality olive oil on the outside of the crust with garlic and pretzel salt. Tomato sauce on the inside, quality cheese and local organic pepperoni and the result brings tears to my eyes (cause' I really get into cooking, lol)

Sure it's low calorie. ;-P (j/k ... but because it's real food a single slice is very filling.) When I'm having guests or its a special occasion I'll make up this crust because of the superior flavor.

I don't have a pizza oven or anything, which I think would modestly improve the finished product, although - it's pretty darn good pizza. It makes it worth the calorie hit. It's better than any of the pizzerias nearby.
  • VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    I really like this coconut flour one. It's pretty low calorie since it takes so little flour. It's not exactly pizzeria crust, but it's pretty good and the one I end up going back to after trying others! https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/coconut-flour-pizza-crust/
  • https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/two-ingredient-pizza-dough-3542644

You can brush the edges with light butter and sprinkle garlic and/ or Parmesan cheese on it, it’s good.
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    edited July 2022
    singer201 wrote: »
    If you want to keep pizza crust as low carb as possible, consider a chicken crust. I've used a recipe similar to this one. https://www.ketoconnect.net/no-carb-pizza/ It's tasty, crisp enough to pick up, and easy. I used Costco/Kirkland canned white meat chicken. For an easy bread-type portion controlled pizza crust, I've also used Stonefire mini naan (the hand-sized ones). Two naans with toppings is an acceptable portion for me, with no tempting leftovers.
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been said but there's a trend going around on tik tok where people are using canned chicken to make pizza crust. Sounds kinda weird to me? I might try it lol. You add an egg and parmesan to the chicken and then smoosh it into a pizza crust shape and bake.

This is my go-to approach as well. Fellow MFP'r discjosh23 has a bunch of recipes and his low-carb chicken crust pizza recipe is my jam. It doesn't really taste like you're eating chicken - it's almost got a thin crust vibe to it. I highly recommend it!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2022
    singer201 wrote: »
    If you want to keep pizza crust as low carb as possible, consider a chicken crust. I've used a recipe similar to this one. https://www.ketoconnect.net/no-carb-pizza/ It's tasty, crisp enough to pick up, and easy. I used Costco/Kirkland canned white meat chicken. For an easy bread-type portion controlled pizza crust, I've also used Stonefire mini naan (the hand-sized ones). Two naans with toppings is an acceptable portion for me, with no tempting leftovers.

I am absolutely going to try this. It sounds wonderful. I don't do keto, but the idea of having a potentially lower calorie pizza crust made of protein 'n fat instead of mostly empty carbs sounds very appealing.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    I just saw this in the grocery store this week. Jiffy is a trusted brand down south. Don’t know why I’ve never seen this before, but I’m giving it a whirl tomorrow and will report back.

n4w190gzpnmw.jpeg

xz5nvp5dwc0g.jpeg
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    ijb7rb83v0kd.jpeg

Jiffy crust on a 14” pizza pan. 140/serving, box makes 5 servings. I used liquid whey leftover from yogurt making instead of water. Yeast based, five minute rise, not bad at all, especially for the calories. (It’s a fraction of the calories of my scratch pizza dough, even halving the recipe.)

Thumbs up from the husband.

Only thing I’d do different is prebake longer than 2-3 minutes suggested on the box til lightly browned before adding toppings.

Def a do-over!!!
  • soulo_ridah
    soulo_ridah Posts: 50 Member
    Im amazed what qualifies as "pizza dough" to many ppl here.

Make or buy pre-made pizza dough. Roll as thin as you can, dont overdo on the toppings and be done with it.

Or better yet, go out and get a nice fire oven baked pizza from a proper pizza place. Well worth it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2022
    azuki84 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Personally I'm just fine with a couple of slices and a salad...I have no idea how some people can eat a whole pie.

you must have a tiny stomach! I'm 5'4''- I just ordered this large supreme for me!!!
    tiajlfdn370j.png

I would be stuffed and I hate that feeling. Pizza is also typically an evening meal in my family and I've eaten plenty throughout the day. My wife and I typically eat around 8PM and we're in bed by 9:30 or thereabouts, so there's no way I'm stuffing an entire pizza into my stomach and hour before I go to bed.

I will also be 48 in a couple of months and definitely can't eat the way I ate when I was I was young and hungry regardless of how much I ate.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Homemade. Thin crust. Toppings, veggies, thin layer of sauce and fresh mozzarella. Two slices, under 300 calories.
  • happysquidmuffin
    I came back to say I made the canned chicken pizza crust, and it IS life changing. Totally delicious and worked super well. I doubled the recipe but just used one duck egg, and it made a large rectangular pizza on a stoneware pan. Didn't stick, came up easily. The crust held together, tasted delicious & savory, and I am absolutely going to make it again. It was 285 cal for 1/8 of the pizza. I put mini pepperonis on it since I knew my husband and kids would appreciate it, but honestly they added a lot of extra calories and fat and wasn't worth it for me (I am meh on pepperoni) so next time I'll just top it with sauce, cheese and veggies. Super filling too.
  • happysquidmuffin
    EDIT! It was two duck eggs. Not one. The canned chicken I used contained more chicken than the recipe called for, so I used duck eggs since they are larger than chicken eggs. I wanted to clarify in case someone else happened to want to try the exact same thing. The pizza keeps and re-heats well. I have made the recipe a second time now.