What is something you eat that fills you as a snack?

I am curious bc I fill up a lot of my calories on snacks, most are healthy but just not filling so I eat Too much. I could use some tips or some advice on what to snack on to make it easier (and less hunger inducing) to stay on track for my calories.

Replies

• SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    edited August 2022
    I take a little baggie to work with 2 sticks of Grimm's mini turkey pepperoni, a stick of string cheese and 6 crackers, usually either Triscuits or pita crackers. Protein, fat, fibre, keeps me full for several hours for 200-some calories (exact number depends on which crackers).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I tend to eat bigger meals so I'm not hungry much between for snacks.
    If I do need something I usually go for something with fat and/or protein like boiled eggs, cheese sticks or mini meat (I keep grilled meat on hand for quick bites and meals).
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 95 Member
    I feel full for awhile after eating a whole carrot or a few ounces of sliced cucumber. They both have enough crunch to give my mouth a workout, but aren't so delicious that I crave more.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Apple slices. They sell a big bag at the store for like $6 already cut up. The whole bag has maybe 5 or 6 servings at 80 calories a serving. I eat them on and off over a couple days and I just make sure to log the total number of servings that is in the bag over those few days.

Cheese sticks. They are 70-80 calorie depending on whichever ones you get. I try to eat one for a morning snack with the apple slices.

Strawberries. A huge bowl of strawberries is maybe 200 grams and that’s about 65 calories.

200 grams of cucumber slices is 30 calories and I eat that with my own homemade hummus (so simple and delicious) that will definitely be under 200 calories.

A packet of instant oats (160 cal) and a 7 grams of ground flax seeds (45 cal) will keep me full for about 3 hours.
  • invaderbree
    invaderbree Posts: 27 Member
    I like putting a tablespoon of chia seeds in my yogurt and letting it sit in the fridge overnight (Does not need to be this long. Just until the chia seeds congeal). I would put less chia seeds and work your way up if you don't eat them regularly bc it's high in fiber. Peanut butter with fruit is another favorite.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I'm another that doesn't snack much because I eat filling meals.

But, when I do snack it's usually something like hummus and chips or vegetables. Satiating for me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,811 Member
    I eat twice a day and if I feel hungry I'll generally eat a hard boiled egg or 2, which I always have available.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Cottage cheese is very filling for me as a snack, and will often hold me over at work until I can get home and eat dinner. However, my new obsession is a sweet rice cake (can be chocolate, caramel, apple cinnamon, etc) topped with a tablespoon of nut butter and three squares of dark chocolate (been loving the Gatsby brand…only 60 calories a serving!) It’s amazing to bite into all that chocolatey, peanut buttery goodness!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    Cheese and crackers are probably the most filling of my snack rotation. I eat a slice of extra sharp cheddar (or sometimes Swiss) cut up and eaten on 6 woven wheat crackers (aka Triscuits). Typically comes in a little over 200 calories.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I stumbled onto something this week from a mistake in the kitchen ... I was roasting a baking sheet of cut up veggies and had to run out for a couple of hours .. .so I turned off the oven and left the tray inside. When I returned, those roasted veggies had turned into dried veggie bits ... and OH MY GOSH they were SO GOOD. I ended up putting them into a glass lidded jar and storing them in the fridge to eat as snacks.
  • natpalit1
    natpalit1 Posts: 3 Member
    Light babybel are good. Plain cashews and raisins. (Weigh out) I can't do vegetables and dip as I struggle with portion control. If you're in the UK Lidl do protein oat and honey flapjacks.
  • Floydy89
    Floydy89 Posts: 23 Member
    edited August 2022
    I like light cheese. Added bonus of it being able to sit in the fridge for a little while if you don’t feel the need to eat it (as opposed to something with a shorter date where you buy it in case you’re hungry and then either have to eat it/waste it).

Nut butters are good too but a bit too easy for me to overeat those. Sometimes just jars of beetroot/pickled onions for something low calorie which again you don’t need to necessarily eat straight away (goes well with the cheese too).
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,983 Member
    For me, understanding the macro ratio that kept me the most satiated overall was a key element to choosing the best snacks.

So in my case, I am the most satiated on a lower carb diet (~150 net carbs or less). Therefore, my snacks support that profile - cheese, meat slices, eggs, olives (so many to choose from!), nuts, fresh veggies. I also keep pickles on hand as a negligible calorie munchie that doesn't cost much either. While I sometimes include fruit, I don't find fruit particularly satisfying and it generally seems to leave me hungry.
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,187 Member
    The go to snack that fills me up is fresh raw veggies with a couple tbsp of hummus.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Baby carrots are my go to for snacking.
  • jje1967
    jje1967 Posts: 3 Member
    Personally, I eat watermelon, cantaloupe and fruit cocktail in natural juices (not in syrup). Or I grab a bag of Skinny Pop. Sometines I eat whole wheat Triscuits or Wheat Thins. If I'm really hungry I might grab a bowl of original Cheerios with unsweetened almond milk.
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Green bell pepper with red pepper hummus dip
  • xdinoduck
    xdinoduck Posts: 2 Member
    I’ve learned my healthy cholesterol is very low, so I am trying to be conscious of this as well with my eating habits. I get very tired of nuts and there is only so many things I can put avocado on through the day before I go crazy and stop eating it.

Best snack I’ve found that satisfies me and is really good on my cholesterol is 180 snacks nut and seed crunch!

Contains sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and pecans with a rice syrup. I found a recipe to make it at home once my bag is done, too!
  • mfp_sucks
    mfp_sucks Posts: 52 Member
    I eat 2 large eggs without the yolk, and 1 bar of Cabot white sharp cheddar cheese.