Breakfast without or with low sugar

Hello, kindly I’m looking for new suggestions about salted or low breakfast. I’m tired of eating milk corn flakes or yogurt.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Bacon and eggs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I have an omelet or scrambled eggs most days.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2022
    I am a little confused by what you mean by "salted or low breakfast." Are you trying to reduce sodium and carbs, especially sweets?

If so, assuming you want about 300 calories and can handle 45 carbs:
    I'm all about a peanut butter and X sandwich for breakfast, on toast. Use a low carb bread. Not much X.
    Or any breakfast sandwich with two ounces of meat I've cooked, as opposed to processed lunch meat.
    Boiled eggs are lovely and easy to make ahead. Use little or no salt, but pepper is fine, I think.
    Microwave a small sweet potato, or half of a bigger one (about 4 ounces). I like them plain, but a dab of butter or cinnamon sugar makes it a treat.
    Berries are low carb in realistic portions (3-4 ounces). Cherries and blueberries are in season now. Grapes, on the other hand, are tiny little glucose bombs.
    Swiss cheese is fairly low sodium, as cheese goes. I buy the cheapest I can find, but I hear good things about Jarlsberg Lite. An ounce of ricotta is also low carb and low sodium. A tomato and cheese sandwich or low-carb wrap can be good.
    Avocado toast? Or guacamole toast, if you mash a bit of salsa or lime juice into your avocado.
    Half a pita round with some chicken salad, if you make your chicken salad without much salt added.

Basically, food is food, no matter what time of day you eat it. I almost always eat breakfast on my 45-minute commute, so most of these are car-friendly.

Some people swear by overnight oats. It's not car-friendly and I can't see the appeal of cold oatmeal, so I haven't tried it. But it would be a change from yogurt for you. And unsweetened oats have good nutrition, worth the carbs (but weigh your portion), and are actually heart-healthy.

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    @Alatariel75 yes! This! Once I had salad for breakfast, lol.
  • _Bettino1966_
    _Bettino1966_ Posts: 8 Member
    I am a little confused by what you mean by "salted or low breakfast." Are you trying to reduce sodium and carbs, especially sweets?

I'm all about a peanut butter and X sandwich for breakfast, on toast. Use a low carb bread. Not much X.
    Or any breakfast sandwich with two ounces of meat I've cooked, as opposed to processed lunch meat.
    Boiled eggs are lovely and easy to make ahead. Use little or no salt, but pepper is fine, I think.
    Microwave a small sweet potato, or half of a bigger one (about 4 ounces). I like them plain, but a dab of butter or cinnamon sugar makes it a treat.
    Berries are low carb in realistic portions (3-4 ounces). Cherries and blueberries are in season now. Grapes, on the other hand, are tiny little glucose bombs.
    Swiss cheese is fairly low sodium, as cheese goes. I buy the cheapest I can find, but I hear good things about Jarlsberg Lite. An ounce of ricotta is also low carb and low sodium. A tomato and cheese sandwich or low-carb wrap can be good.
    Avocado toast? Or guacamole toast, if you mash a bit of salsa or lime juice into your avocado.
    Half a pita round with some chicken salad, if you make your chicken salad without much salt added.

Basically, food is food, no matter what time of day you eat it. I almost always eat breakfast on my 45-minute commute, so most of these are car-friendly.

Some people swear by overnight oats. It's not car-friendly and I can't see the appeal of cold oatmeal, so I haven't tried it. But it would be a change from yogurt for you. And unsweetened oats have good nutrition, worth the carbs (but weigh your portion), and are actually heart-healthy.

Exactly. I would like to reduce carbs like added sugars. Thank you so much for the suggestions

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member

totally legitimate question (not being sarcastic or snarky, genuinely curious) - where did this assumption come from? I mean where are you getting those particular numbers?

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Carbs and added sugars aren't the same, of course.

If you want a lower carb breakfast, how about an omelet with various veg? I often have something like that with cottage cheese or half an avocado or smoked salmon -- all low carb. I also often have it with fruit, which isn't so low carb, but wouldn't have added sugar.

Steel cut oats with blueberries and peanut butter isn't low carb, but there's no added sugar.

Basically, you'll get different suggestions if you want low carb (and it would be helpful to know how low carb) vs no added sugar.

Today I had leftover Thursday dinner for breakfast, so no added sugar and it was actually pretty low carb, but isn't what some think of as breakfast.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    i love carbs with good protein. strawberries and yogurt, potatoes and eggs and ketchup all day everyday
  • Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    I usually have yogurt and fruit or a (homemade) smoothie bowl consisting of fruit & veg, usually blended with water or plant-based milk, then some nuts and seeds on top. Maybe not low sugar by everyone's interpretation but it's low in processed sugar; and the body processes the sugar in fruits differently, given the fibre.

For a "salted breakfast" alternative, I would agree with omelettes with veg, wholegrain toast with hummus or avo + tomato. If I have time, I also like to make a Mediterranean whole grain pita with roasted chickpeas (jerk seasoning!) and a beetroot tzatziki (just Greek yogurt mixed with finely diced cucumber, beetroot, dill, mint, and some lemon juice). Add some cucumbers for crunch. YUM!
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    I prefer protien shakes for breakfast. Protien powder of choice, almond milk and chia seeds.

On days where I do eat something in the mornings it's usually Kodiak pancakes topped with berries and sliced bananas. Or whatever I am craving that day.

Breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast" foods. You can enjoy anything you like.
  • natpalit1
    natpalit1 Posts: 3 Member
    Peanut butter on toast. Or if you're interested in something more exotic look up aloo paratha (spiced potato stuffed flat breads) or upma (semolina with potatoes, peas and spices).