"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Replies

• esmereldah
    esmereldah Posts: 1 Member
    Newbie here!

I am a person who needs people to ask me how my workout went/if I did a workout, or I'll tell myself that I can ditch out on my own goals. I know that I shouldn't ditch my own goals, but I'm embracing what is true about my personality, instead of wishing it were different.

So, I'm going to start posting my workout info here and hope it works for me, accountability wise. Feel free to follow up with me! I will appreciate it!

Cardio: aerobics - 32 minutes (242 cals)
    Strength: 0 (except the squats in the aerobics)
    Assessment: yesterday was pretty good - completed intermittent fasting at 11, stopped eating at 8pm, within my window. Ate slowly, which is a challenge for me. Healthy salad for lunch, healthy Indian for dinner. A good rest day.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    Saturday

Cardio:
    Elliptical - 5km (430 calories)

Strength: Full Body

Deadlifts 5x2
    Hack Squat 3x10
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 3x10
    DB Front Raise <triset> DB Lateral Raise <triset> DB Rear Lateral Raise 3x10
    DB Curl <superset> Lying DB Extension

Analysis: What a glorious workout! Sweat was pouring, weights were flying up, and after the workout my scale said I weighed 189.6, the first time in years I've been in the 180's. I haven't actually been trying to lose weight, just make sure to hit my protein goals each day. But I have cut out lunchtime dessert most days, as well as cutting back sodas from 3 times per week to once.

Monday

Cardio:
    N/A

Strength: Leg Day

Squats 4x20
    BB Step-Ups 3x10
    Leg Press 5x5
    Glute Press 2x10
    Seated Calf Raise 3x10

Analysis: I'm thinking it's time to increase the difficulty of my step-ups, but am debating how, whether I should increase the weight while keeping the step height the same, or keep the weight the same while increasing the step height. Any opinions, @ninerbuff?

Food: Lunch - brown sugar ham with sweet potatoes, Dinner - home grilled burgers

Life: My wife is feeling MUCH better. Her pain is all but gone, while her appetite continues to improve. She's now able to eat whatever I prepare for the family, just a smaller portion than her usual, while looking with jealousy at everybody else pigging out.

Life 2: Welcome to the thread, @esmereldah!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    esmereldah wrote: »
    Newbie here!

I am a person who needs people to ask me how my workout went/if I did a workout, or I'll tell myself that I can ditch out on my own goals. I know that I shouldn't ditch my own goals, but I'm embracing what is true about my personality, instead of wishing it were different.

So, I'm going to start posting my workout info here and hope it works for me, accountability wise. Feel free to follow up with me! I will appreciate it!

Cardio: aerobics - 32 minutes (242 cals)
    Strength: 0 (except the squats in the aerobics)
    Assessment: yesterday was pretty good - completed intermittent fasting at 11, stopped eating at 8pm, within my window. Ate slowly, which is a challenge for me. Healthy salad for lunch, healthy Indian for dinner. A good rest day.
    welcome!
  • ninerbuff
    nossmf wrote: »
    Saturday

Cardio:

Deadlifts 5x2
    Hack Squat 3x10
    DB Front Raise <triset> DB Lateral Raise <triset> DB Rear Lateral Raise 3x10
    DB Curl <superset> Lying DB Extension

Analysis: What a glorious workout! Sweat was pouring, weights were flying up, and after the workout my scale said I weighed 189.6, the first time in years I've been in the 180's. I haven't actually been trying to lose weight, just make sure to hit my protein goals each day. But I have cut out lunchtime dessert most days, as well as cutting back sodas from 3 times per week to once.

Monday

Cardio:
    N/A

Strength: Leg Day

Squats 4x20
    BB Step-Ups 3x10
    Leg Press 5x5
    Glute Press 2x10
    Seated Calf Raise 3x10

Analysis: I'm thinking it's time to increase the difficulty of my step-ups, but am debating how, whether I should increase the weight while keeping the step height the same, or keep the weight the same while increasing the step height. Any opinions, @ninerbuff?

Food: Lunch - brown sugar ham with sweet potatoes, Dinner - home grilled burgers

Life: My wife is feeling MUCH better. Her pain is all but gone, while her appetite continues to improve. She's now able to eat whatever I prepare for the family, just a smaller portion than her usual, while looking with jealousy at everybody else pigging out.

Life 2: Welcome to the thread, @esmereldah!
    Do both on the step ups. Some days I do a higher step and other days I use a heavier load for lower step height.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule today and kbox class. Counting down the days till I'm back as a yard duty. A lot of my teacher friends have already headed back to the classroom.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (150 calories)

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine chest press, cable crossovers, machine dips. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Lamb and salad. I have a client who ALWAYS brings me pie. So I indulged in a little banana cream pie yesterday.

• nossmf
    Strength: Pull Day

Pulldowns 2x10
    Chindowns 2x10
    High machine row 5x5
    Low machine row 5x5
    T-bar row 3x10
    DB Shrugs 3x10
    Preacher curls 3x10,12,15

Analysis: While doing the DB shrugs and barely avoiding dropping the weights on my feet, I was reminded about a MFP thread I was a part of about a year ago, somebody was asking how to improve their grip strength for deadlift. I tossed out the idea of heavy shrugs, whether BB or DB, along with farmer's walks. Another MFP poster jumped all over me, calling me a misleading liar and a bunch of other less than flattering names, insisting the only way to improve deadlift grip was through deadlifts. Considering the size of the guy in his avatar photo, I didn't choose to argue with him right then, but the thought has stuck with me ever since. I can understand the logic that a single-rep deadlift places different demands on grip than holding a lighter weight for a minute plus, but "liar" seems a bit excessive.

Food: Lunch - BK Whopper, Dinner - spicy peanut chicken with rice

Life: Some days my commute is only mildly annoying, but days like today are completely maddening. The city decided to do some road construction on the interstate, narrowing five lanes down to two. Of course they didn't do this work overnight, or mid-day, but rather during the middle of morning rush hour. And of course they don't have signs up warning drivers to take an alternate route far enough in advance to actually take one, but rather once you're actually already stuck standing still. Took me 45 minutes to go 3 miles, and turned my 1-hour commute into two. Sigh.

• ninerbuff
    nossmf wrote: »
    Strength: Pull Day

Pulldowns 2x10
    Chindowns 2x10
    High machine row 5x5
    Low machine row 5x5
    T-bar row 3x10
    DB Shrugs 3x10
    Preacher curls 3x10,12,15

Analysis: While doing the DB shrugs and barely avoiding dropping the weights on my feet, I was reminded about a MFP thread I was a part of about a year ago, somebody was asking how to improve their grip strength for deadlift. I tossed out the idea of heavy shrugs, whether BB or DB, along with farmer's walks. Another MFP poster jumped all over me, calling me a misleading liar and a bunch of other less than flattering names, insisting the only way to improve deadlift grip was through deadlifts. Considering the size of the guy in his avatar photo, I didn't choose to argue with him right then, but the thought has stuck with me ever since. I can understand the logic that a single-rep deadlift places different demands on grip than holding a lighter weight for a minute plus, but "liar" seems a bit excessive.

Food: Lunch - BK Whopper, Dinner - spicy peanut chicken with rice

Life: Some days my commute is only mildly annoying, but days like today are completely maddening. The city decided to do some road construction on the interstate, narrowing five lanes down to two. Of course they didn't do this work overnight, or mid-day, but rather during the middle of morning rush hour. And of course they don't have signs up warning drivers to take an alternate route far enough in advance to actually take one, but rather once you're actually already stuck standing still. Took me 45 minutes to go 3 miles, and turned my 1-hour commute into two. Sigh.
    While it's true that improving deadlift strength is to deadlift, I liken it to running. You have to run to get better at it, but doing other leg work WILL IMPROVE it optimally. Dude was probably on gear.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

Happy Humpday! Full schedule and it's my long day. Hoping the tendon in my ankle heals sooner than later. Had to wear a brace for it yesterday in my evening sessions.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, high cable curls 4x 12,10,6.

Assessment: Steak and bok choy for dinner. Had a really good chest day yesterday.
  • nossmf
    Strength: Push Day

Cable twist 3x15
    Bench press 5x5,4,3,2,5
    Incline DB press 3x10
    Decline cable fly 3x10
    Standing OHP 3x5,10,15
    Lying EZ-bar extensions 3x10,15,20

Analysis: Actually got 6 hours of sleep last night, compared to the 5 hours I'm normally getting during the week, so was hopeful my bench press numbers would go up. They didn't, in fact went slightly down (5 reps at max weight this time vs 6 two weeks ago), but otherwise a good workout.

Food: Lunch - buffalo chicken strips with Fritos, Dinner - spaghetti with side salad (no dressing)

Life: I really want M&M's, been craving them for a couple weeks, but my work snack bar is out of stock and I'm too cheap to buy them for $3 at a gas station. Guess that's one way to stay on point calorie-wise.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Full schedule and kbox class this morning. Hopefully my ankle holds up. Still a little gimpy from it.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (200 calories)

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns. 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Vietnamese for dinner. I had fresh shrimp roll and potstickers for dinner.
  • nossmf
    Cardio: Elliptical hill intervals - 60 minutes (583 calories)

Analysis: Not sure about these replacement headphones I bought for $10. Good news is they're cheap and produce sound. But as a workout progresses, any sweat at all on the side of my head causes them to slip around, as they are plastic sitting actually ON the ear, where my old pair fit OVER the ear. But I'm thinking the fact they're this cheap will keep me using them for a while longer.

Food: Lunch - leftover chili, Dinner - ???

Life: My youngest daughter's in the marching band, and will be hosting members of the school district board to come watch them. She seems to think this is a big deal, and has requested the right to choose tonight's dinner. However, as she's not sure when everything will be over, making dinner plans is difficult since planning when to start preparing food remains in question. We probably will end up ordering drive-thru from somewhere, not my first choice, but I still have a TON of calories to play with after my hour on the elliptical, so just about everywhere is in play.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy TGIF! Full schedule. Won't run today to give my ankle more rest and hopefully resume by Monday.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: McDonald's for me last night. And was down a pound this morning. Good thing I saved for the calories.

• Danmarnick
    Danmarnick Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2022
    OK...here goes. I'm another newbie. After crazy few months of life's curveballs I'm now back to a reasonably consistent routine. So, I'm also back to incorporating daily exercise for about a week now. I just need some accountability for consistency :-) I need to get in reasonable cardio condition before hockey season starts mid September.

Yesterday

Cardio: jogging/walking 1 minute intervals. 3.6 km (2.6km intervals, 1km walk to end). 30 minute. 250 calories.

Strength: none

Assessment: sausage, egg, hashbrown breakfast is an indulgence that I'll try to avoid in future. Generally try to keep to lean meat and vegetables (or that's what I've done consistently for lengthy periods in the past).
  • ninerbuff
    Danmarnick wrote: »
    OK...here goes. I'm another newbie. After crazy few months of life's curveballs I'm now back to a reasonably consistent routine. So, I'm also back to incorporating daily exercise for about a week now. I just need some accountability for consistency :-) I need to get in reasonable cardio condition before hockey season starts mid September.

Yesterday

Cardio: jogging/walking 1 minute intervals. 3.6 km (2.6km intervals, 1km walk to end). 30 minute. 250 calories.

Strength: none

Assessment: sausage, egg, hashbrown breakfast is an indulgence that I'll try to avoid in future. Generally try to keep to lean meat and vegetables (or that's what I've done consistently for lengthy periods in the past).
    welcome!

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Just workout today and then some rest for my ankles. Hopefully they recover soon so I can get back to moving around with out too much discomfort.

Strength: quads- leg press, squats, hack squats, leg extensions 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Panda Express for dinner. My usual vegetables and terriyaki chicken.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! A full schedule this morning. A little tired but ankle is doing well.

Strength: hamstrings- lying leg curls, seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: IHOP for dinner. I had the chicken florentine crepes without hollandaise sauce.

• ninerbuff
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kbox class tonight. A little up on scale after eating at my FIL bday party yesterday.

Cardio: walk/run - 30 min (350 calories)

Strength: shoulders- machine shoulder press, side laterals, machine rear laterals, facepulls, front dumbell raises 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Admiral's Feast at Red Lobster yesterday. Ugh, I wanted to keep my cals down, but caved to all the seafood. At least I had a light snack day.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule today and kbox class. After class my ankle was a little sore but feels okay this morning. I'll keep impact low this morning class too.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (150 calories)

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine chest press, cable crossovers, machine dips. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Steak and salad for dinner. Back to the good old grind again.

• nossmf
    Saturday:

Cardio:

Deadlift 5x2
    Hack Squat 3x10
    DB Front Raise <superset> DB Lateral Raise <superset> DB Rear lateral Raise 3x10
    DB Curls <superset> Lying DB Extend 3x10

Analysis: Solid workout. My wife gives me grief for spending 3 hours in the gym Saturday mornings, but without work and commute I feel free to get both cardio AND a full hour of lifting, plus hot tub time after.

Food: Lunch - tomato soup and grilled cheese, Dinner - McDonald's burger, nuggets and sundae

Life: Got home from the gym, had a plan for knocking out a bunch of chores, when my wife gets a call from our oldest son. He and a friend had taken a construction job out of state, rode there with a bunch of other guys, but for a variety of reasons were coming home early. This meant he was on his own to get a ride, and being under age 25 he couldn't rent a car, and his friend with him didn't have a driver's license so they couldn't get tickets by bus or plane. So suddenly I found myself driving up to get him and his buddy, driving 750 miles there, arriving 1am, lying down for 6 hours snooze, then turning around and driving 750 miles home. Not my most productive weekend getting chores done.
  • nossmf
    Monday:

Strength:
    Leg Day

Squats 4x10
    RDL 3x10

Analysis: Legs were incredibly stiff after driving for 22 hours in a 28-hour span over the weekend, so I knew going in that it wasn't going to be an incredibly productive leg day. Now on top of this I ended up using the new squat racks for the first time, with two observations: one, without a mirror to check my form, and with stiff muscles, I am quite aware my squat depth sucked; and two, the colored weights use a different color scheme from the other bumper plates used on the existing Olympic platforms -- yellow on one is 25#, on the other is 35#. After I butchered the RDL's I just called it a day. Unfortunately I had no time to soak in the hot tub and regain range of motion as I had to go help my daughters finish registration for high school (one senior, one freshman).

Food: Lunch - Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich, Dinner - parmesan chicken with baked potatoes