Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

1757677787981»

Replies

• accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Hi all

I've been fasting for quite a while usuallaround 18:6 but I thought that is like to try OMAD more seriously. Please feel free to front request me.
  • CrankyGoat2
    CrankyGoat2 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm 50+ and weigh around 250 lbs; otherwise healthy and physically active with love of the outdoors; exploring the OMAD lifestyle with a Low Carb component to help truly kick in the weight loss. Beside, much of the research I've explored indicates it is a good lifestyle choice to make when in the 50+ category and physically active.

Seeking like-minded MFP "Friend" to help encourage; educate; and support each other along our respective journeys
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    I came across the Eat Like A Bear program of intermittent fasting. So I thought I’d try it. What else do I have to lose? I’m just concerned with how to fast ALL day so I can have my meal with my family in the evening….will be a learning curve but I’m ready.

I am so embarrassed by my weight and ashamed of myself. I absolutely hate my body- if I could trash it I would!!! But I can’t so….here we go! Lol

Background is like so many here- I have been dieting since 9/10 years old (when I didn’t need to even think that way- thanks a lotMa). I’ve done just about every diet possible in about 40 years. Thankfully I have an amazing husband and kids who love me and think I am perfect just the way I am. Great support.❤️

My goal loss is 60 pounds. Maybe a bit more but I’ll see when I get there.

I can’t wait to meet you guys!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I came across the Eat Like A Bear program of intermittent fasting. So I thought I’d try it. What else do I have to lose? I’m just concerned with how to fast ALL day so I can have my meal with my family in the evening….will be a learning curve but I’m ready.

I am so embarrassed by my weight and ashamed of myself. I absolutely hate my body- if I could trash it I would!!! But I can’t so….here we go! Lol

Background is like so many here- I have been dieting since 9/10 years old (when I didn’t need to even think that way- thanks a lotMa). I’ve done just about every diet possible in about 40 years. Thankfully I have an amazing husband and kids who love me and think I am perfect just the way I am. Great support.❤️

My goal loss is 60 pounds. Maybe a bit more but I’ll see when I get there.

I can’t wait to meet you guys!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Hey there.

Been a little slow here, but we are around.
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 282 Member
    188lbs
    5'6"
    3 leaky heart valves, weak lungs after (the bug that must not me named), digestion issues, inability to eat meat after (the bug that must not be named), prediabetes, high blood pressure, over all weakness that the doctor can't explain and sometimes my blood pressure is very low and sometimes it shoots very high unexpectedly and they won't tell me why on that either, but I can't take pills for my BP because of that...Sweet Jesus I sound a hot mess. Yeah...family members be planning my funeral already but they can back off. I'm shrugging off this mortal coil just yet.
    Goal weight: 120 - or as low as I can get it so maybe I'll stay alive and stuff. Medically what are they going to do, really? It's not like pills are going to fix me.

Just started OMAD, but previously over the winter did alternate day fasting, so didn't eat for 36 hours at a go. I got out of the habit and the holidays came up and so forth, but it did make me feel better and have more energy so I'm going back to fasting but this time OMAD because I cook dinner every night regardless.

Having some trouble with headaches this go if anyone has suggestions! I think I might need more sodium. Also I'm new on MFP, if you can add me as a friend that would be awesome, my health keeps me pretty isolated. I don't have enough energy to even digest food let alone deal with mainstream social media. :smile: So any friendships welcome! I'll post my one meal a day as a comment everyday if you want to follow. Because of my digestion issues I can't just eat any ol' thing, so apologize it won't be low-carb. I can't digest meat anymore.

I have two kittens and love cats.
    I have a new mountain bike and a classic old road bike and love bicycles - I want to get strong enough to ride again.
    I love to hike and take photos
    I love the video games, 'Animal Crossing New Horizons' and also 'Yakuza Like a Dragon'
    I've always lived out in the sticks and never in a city.

Cheers!
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,813 Member
    edited June 2023
    Wow! This looks like a great group with a lot of helpful information but it's hard to tell how active the group is....
    I will jump in and see if there's any traction... maybe we can resurrect.

I am 62, been "dieting" off and on for forever...at least seems that way. I'm currently ~214 and looking to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 150.

I've been on the weight loss rollercoaster for years. You name it, I've probably tried it. I do believe that most plans will work, as long as you do it. So I have to find something that I can comfortably live with for the rest of my life. I was doing CICO staying between 1200 and 1400 calories per day, while making good food choices. The scale wasn't moving and clothes didn't feel any looser (possibly tighter) and I had to take another look. "Making good food choices" was the key. I was staying with my range but the choices were not the best from a nutritional stand point. So it was time to make a change.

I went searching for a different focus. I considered just an overhaul and doing something like Nutrisystem (until I saw the price tag). I considered keto again...but just didn't feel it. A long time ago, I attempted the Mayo Clinic Diet (MCD). I still have the book and the journal. I should say something other than attempted, as I didn't get past day 2 in the journal. I pulled the book out again and started to read, then I looked at my journal, and it's obvious why I didn't get past day 2. I had not embraced the plan and find it funny that I even recorded the 2 days.

My search continued as again, I need something I can live with as well as works. Deprivation of food and drink that I like is not sustainable. Even if successful for a short time, once at "goal", a re- indulgence will simply bring back the pounds.

I looked into IF a couple of years ago but didn't pursue. After looking into a few other opportunities and seeing how they might fit for me... all roads lead me to an IF lifestyle.

I started with a modified 28 start as recommended from Gen Stephens, Fast, Feast, Repeat. I say modified as before read this book, I was already comfortably doing 16:8 since about mid April but just hadn't put a stake in the said as an actual "plan". I learned about fasting "clean" as I continued to put a half pack of splenda in my weekend coffee.

May 26, I started my "official" fast at 214. I immediately broke the rule by continuing to weigh daily but I also took measurements. Today will be 25 days and my weight has fluctuated as low as 211 but I have lost 2 inches on my waist.

The IF at 18:6 was working, but I saw an opportunity to do a "Power week" to "mix it up" which included a 20 hour fast and a 30 hour fast. I felt good about the 20 and succeeded. I was a little apprehensive about the 30 hours which was supposed to have ended this morning. I ended early last night and had dinner. I was only a little hungry but I didn't wasn't ready to sacrifice sleep due to hunger pains. In hindsight, I probably should have tried a 24 vs 30 or not changed what was working, 18:6!

Today, I'm going back to 18:6 and will simply stay the course while preparing to transition to OMAD. I am just looking for a place to ramble about IF and maybe learn some new skills, makes some new friends and really embrace this journey. Feel free to add me as a friend, but please indicate that you're from this group, so I won't ignore you! :)

Weight History
    1999 to 2002 - 4 years - Gained 30lbs (7lb to 8lbs each year) My Mom died in Nov 1998, I moved, extra responsibility of my disabled sister...yada yada yada
    2003 to 2004 - 2 years - No Gain
    2005 to 2013 - 9 years - Averaged 2lbs a year for a total of 18 more pounds
    2014 to 2014 - 1 year - Gained 8lbs - Got married in Feb, started cooking meals every day, going out to eat, pizza ordered in etc
    2015 to 2016 - 2 years - Gained 5lbs - Lost my job of 17 years, started commuting for new job 3+ hours per day
    2017 to 2017 - 1 year - Lost 15lbs - Keto for the first half of the year. 26 year old stepdaughter moved in
    2018 to 2019 - 2 years - Gained 15lbs - started new job but primarily sedentary and stress of house guest
    2020 to 2022 - 3 years - Lost 5lbs - Lost 5 - House guest moved out, covid Gained 6 - Back to in office, sedentary, Loss 6. Net 5lbs
    2023 to 2023 - 1 year - So far down about 10.
    Over the course of 25 years, I have gained 84 pounds and lost 36.

Tagging a few folks that I see have been to this group in the last 6 months and are active on MFP.

Curious if you all are still doing OMAD and/or IF
    @LemonMarmalade
    @Itadakimasu7
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Hi! I'm Alexandra or Alex, and I am a 51 year old cis woman. I started this journey in 2020 at 298 pounds, and took off 60 pounds with pure CICO. But it wasn't easy. I've never liked eating breakfast, and having severe morning sickness with my kids just made that worse. And I discovered that I'm no good at snacking. I like to eat quantities when I eat. Reading Dr. Fong on the insulin response and reading a lot of forums about it, I gave 16:8 a try. For me that's eat lunch, eat dinner, and be done with it. And it WORKED. I felt fine. It solved the evening munchies. And with time, I've tried OMAD, and that works great too. I've dropped 12 pounds in three weeks, and I don't see why I can't do this until I hit 150 or wherever down there I look good and feel good. My own practice is to plan for OMAD and if hormones or whatever are especially loud, default to 18:6. My big meal is dinner because that's when everyone's home. I have a good dinner, dessert, and then I'm done, and that is working well for me.

I don't exercise due to arthritis in weight-bearing joints, but I hope that as there is less weight on my joints my standing budget will increase. I want to be fit and healthy in my senior years, because it will be better for me and my family.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi, to both of you!