Calling all rowers!

It's August which means that it's Concept 2's "Dog Days of Summer" challenge.

Row 10K metres (not necessarily all at once) this week, 20K next week, 30K the week after and 40K the last week for a total of 100K metres.

I've already done 10K this week with 4 more rows planned, the last week may hurt a little....

https://log.concept2.com/challenges/dog-days

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I dunno.

On-water meters count, and a normal week would be about 4 x 7k in boats, so it's pretty much all gravy up through week 3, if the weather cooperates (I'm already short one day this week because of weather).

I think it's Not Nice that they count rowing on water or machine, skiing on snow or machine, but only BikeErg (not actual bike). I'd be golden all 4 weeks if regular biking counted, and (of course!) it's all about me, y'know? 🤣

I think I'll see how I feel about the daily (x5 days) extra 2-3k machine row or 4-6k ErgBike in week 4, when it gets closer. On the one hand, that's not that much extra; on the other hand, I'm kinda old and lazy. 🤣

Cheering you on from the sidelines, in any case, @BrianSharpe!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'll have to pass. Summers are brutal in Tucson and I row out in my garage (with an evap cooler next to me). Though it's been a bit cooler because of the rain than normal -- it's been averaging only around 94 for the daily high and around 91 when I do my row at lunch -- I'm enjoying cutting back the massive meters that I do the rest of the year. Working on strength work currently and only doing around 6K a day in meters. I'm not far off those numbers but only doing around 30K a week currently.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I dunno.

On-water meters count, and a normal week would be about 4 x 7k in boats, so it's pretty much all gravy up through week 3, if the weather cooperates (I'm already short one day this week because of weather).

I think it's Not Nice that they count rowing on water or machine, skiing on snow or machine, but only BikeErg (not actual bike). I'd be golden all 4 weeks if regular biking counted, and (of course!) it's all about me, y'know? 🤣

I think I'll see how I feel about the daily (x5 days) extra 2-3k machine row or 4-6k ErgBike in week 4, when it gets closer. On the one hand, that's not that much extra; on the other hand, I'm kinda old and lazy. 🤣

We have a rowing club (on water) not far from my office and I've yet to be able to sign up for one of their beginner classes (they seem to sell out really quickly).

I think we're about the same age & you're definitely not lazy!
  • BrianSharpe
    I'll have to pass. Summers are brutal in Tucson and I row out in my garage (with an evap cooler next to me). Though it's been a bit cooler because of the rain than normal -- it's been averaging only around 94 for the daily high and around 91 when I do my row at lunch -- I'm enjoying cutting back the massive meters that I do the rest of the year. Working on strength work currently and only doing around 6K a day in meters. I'm not far off those numbers but only doing around 30K a week currently.

I love it when people say "only 30K a week", even if that was your year-round average that puts you at about 1.5 million metres a year.
  • AnnPT77
    OK, we'll see. A lot depends on weather. My RowErg and BikeErg workouts tend to be more intense but shorter than on-water or bike. I need to manage total volume/intensity, in order to keep things fun. If I have decent weather in week 4, so I can row on water, I can probably add the short-ish bits of Erg to get to 40k, yet still keep the outdoor bike rides I enjoy. If the weather's bad and I have to substitute more-intense erg meters, I might not like the results.

For now: Week 1 is in the books. I rowed (a boat) 8,670m last evening, and 7004m this morning.
    I dunno.

We have a rowing club (on water) not far from my office and I've yet to be able to sign up for one of their beginner classes (they seem to sell out really quickly).

I'm 66, li'l ol' lady lightweight rower. I'm almost exclusively fun-motivated, and on-water rowing is very fun. The machine rowing isn't nearly as much fun. However, doing a bit of it in Winter means I don't need to start fitness from zero every Spring; better base fitness translates into more on-water fun over Spring to Fall, since there's less need to ramp up volume from a low level.

If I were only doing this stuff "because it's good for me", low odds I'd be doing it. By nature, I'm a pretty-lazy, hedonistic, aging hippie type. 🤷‍♀️ If you erg because it's good for you, you have Character. Kudos!

This is my happy place:

j0gebsap6gch.jpg

• BrianSharpe
    OK, we'll see. A lot depends on weather. My RowErg and BikeErg workouts tend to be more intense but shorter than on-water or bike. I need to manage total volume/intensity, in order to keep things fun. If I have decent weather in week 4, so I can row on water, I can probably add the short-ish bits of Erg to get to 40k, yet still keep the outdoor bike rides I enjoy. If the weather's bad and I have to substitute more-intense erg meters, I might not like the results.

For now: Week 1 is in the books. I rowed (a boat) 8,670m last evening, and 7004m this morning.
    I dunno.

I'm 66, li'l ol' lady lightweight rower. I'm almost exclusively fun-motivated, and on-water rowing is very fun. The machine rowing isn't nearly as much fun. However, doing a bit of it in Winter means I don't need to start fitness from zero every Spring; better base fitness translates into more on-water fun over Spring to Fall, since there's less need to ramp up volume from a low level.

If I were only doing this stuff "because it's good for me", low odds I'd be doing it. By nature, I'm a pretty-lazy, hedonistic, aging hippie type. 🤷‍♀️ If you erg because it's good for you, you have Character. Kudos!

This is my happy place:

j0gebsap6gch.jpg

I was right, we're the same age.

Looks like you've got a beautiful spot to row. I need to get more organized and try to sign up earlier next year (my brother & SIL rowed for quite a few years and loved it)
  • AnnPT77

I dunno.

This is my happy place:

j0gebsap6gch.jpg

I was right, we're the same age.

Looks like you've got a beautiful spot to row. I need to get more organized and try to sign up earlier next year (my brother & SIL rowed for quite a few years and loved it)

DoItDoItDoIt!! 👍 😊
  • AnnPT77
    Week 2 is in, despite rain/storm-outs on Monday and Saturday.

I logged 11,503m on Tuesday (bow of a double during a coached row), 7,272m on Wednesday (bow of the quad); and on Friday 6,915m (bow of the double with a different friend in stroke) in the AM, and 5,783m rowing port-side stroke in the barge (2 stroke rowers, because 2-across seating) at a moonlight row party the club had in the evening. All meters per Garmin tracking.

If I typed everything right, that's 31,473m when I only need 20k this week. I'm sure a few hundred meters of that 31k+ were brief periods in multi-person boats when someone else was rowing but I wasn't, or times when I forgot to stop the workout before walking back to the boathouse, but there wasn't 11k of overstatement so I'm not going to worry about it. I'll be more meticulous when shooting for week 3-4 so I don't cheat.

This was a little more on-water rowing volume than usual this week, despite the weather issues that cancelled a couple of days rowing. It'd usually be around 26-28k, from my routine rows, if no weather issues. Week 3 & 4 are not a shoo-in.

If only I could count outdoor bike meters at the same 2 meters for 1 rate as BikeErg meters . . . . I've been running close to 40 miles in my 2 days of biking most weeks, when the weather cooperates. (Retirement leaves me time for this sort of thing, one of many reasons I'm loving it.)

How's it going, @BrianSharpe? I know the week's not over yet!

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member

I love it when people say "only 30K a week", even if that was your year-round average that puts you at about 1.5 million metres a year.

i routinely row 50k meters per wk (10k per day, 5 days a wk). Rowed 2.5 Million meters last year and am up to 750k meters this year so far

So, the August Dog Days Challenge really isn't much of a challenge for me.
  • AnnPT77
    Week 3 is in, thanks to fortunate weather conditions. I'm less sure about week 4, for the reasons mentioned before. I don't want to give up my Tuesday/Thursday bike rides outdoors if the weather is safe for it, plus there will probably be a group ride on Wednesday in addition to those.

Week 3:
    Monday, 6845m (2 seat of the quad)
    Tuesday, 9003m (bow of the double, coached row)
    Wednesday, 7001m (2 seat of the quad)
    Friday, 6582m (ditto)
    Saturday, 6955m (bow of the quad)

Total 36,386m.

Right now, the upcoming week's forecast looks pretty good for rowing. If that plays out, fitting in the minimal extra meters indoors should be tolerable, much as I dislike indoor meters in Summer(-ish).
  • AnnPT77
    OK, week 4 is in. Garmin's total was 45,948m, but I know that's a little overstated, because I forgot to stop the workout on my watch a couple of times, and got some boat-carrying steps in those meters. I'm sure that walking totaled to well less than 1000m, so I'm not going to worry about pinning it down exactly: For sure, I'm well over the necessary 40k. All of it, all 4 weeks, was on water, no erg. Yay!

This week, 6 days in a row of rowing daily, per Garmin:

Mon 8/22 - 7,002m, 2 seat of the quad
    Tue 8/23 - 10,003m, racing single (coached row)
    Wed 8/24 - 7,004m, bow of the double
    Thu 8/25 - 7,582m, recreational (wider) single, much of that row in a light rain
    Fri 8/26 - 6,957m, bow of the double
    Sat 8/27 - 7,400m, bow of the quad

While I didn't give up any of my regular bike rides to row, I did get a shorter ride than usual on Thursday due to poor time management. OTOH, I did a group ride on Wednesday, which is not a usual bike day, so I ended up with 41.2 miles on the hybrid bike, around the usual weekly total.

I'll be glad to go back to a lighter schedule next week. This was a manageable stretch goal, I admit, not punitive. However, I'm not motivated to keep volume that high normally - more a time issue than a fitness one, given that I bike slowly, and it takes time to drive to the rowing club and get out/put away boats and oars.
  • BrianSharpe
    vroxznowtit6.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Nice work, @BrianSharpe - congratulations on another "Dog Days" accomplished!
  • BrianSharpe
    Nice work, @BrianSharpe - congratulations on another "Dog Days" accomplished!

Thanks! It's been a couple of years since I've done this one.