At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Replies

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,264 Member
    I swore I'd never eat cauliflower anything, but I've found I can eat the Outer Aisle "pizza" crust as long as I cook it until it's crispy. Haven't ventured into cauliflower rice yet, but I'm inching towards it...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    I swore I'd never eat cauliflower anything, but I've found I can eat the Outer Aisle "pizza" crust as long as I cook it until it's crispy. Haven't ventured into cauliflower rice yet, but I'm inching towards it...

Trust me, as an added source for this: Cauliflower rice doesn't taste like cauliflower. (That's why I don't care for it, personally: I like cauliflower.) It doesn't have much taste at all, IMO: Very neutral.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,343 Member
    edited August 2022

Minute Rice with butter and salt used to be one of my weaknesses. I haven’t bought a box of minute rice since I started MFP, and thankfully no longer miss it.

I often mix cauliflower rice into rice dishes like stir fry, fried rice or red beans and rice. It adds a lot of bulk and is very filling and very neutral taste- much like rice.

We tried those much-touted Japanese shiburi or whatever noodles. They may be virtually zero calories, but yuck. We both disliked the smell and taste.

Some things are a no go, no matter how low.

I don’t bother to cook the cauliflowert. I just rice it in my little pull-string chopper. No joke, this thing is the greates thing since sliced bread:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010VDS8K4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member

I don’t bother to cook the cauliflowert. I just rice it in my little pull-string chopper. No joke, this thing is the greates thing since sliced bread:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010VDS8K4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

you have such awesome suggestions, @springlering62
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Last night, we complimented a guy in aquafit class on his noticeable weight loss. He was thrilled, and went on to tell us about this great app called My Fitness Pal, lol.

It’s nice to see it working for others IRL.

That is fantastic. 😂
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    So this month is BL’s one year anniversary month on MFP, and he had his second doctors visit this morning.

He was able to come off diabetes meds following his first visit, which was a major success right there.

He started at 1870 target calories per day, and his current target is 1910, not including exercise calories.

He had lost 40, but at his weigh-in at the doctor’s office this morning was only down 35.

He began with an average of 1874 steps per day and two Tai Chi classes per week.

He now walks at least 10,000 steps per day, does two Tai Chi, and five aquafit classes per week. He also does “Around the Church” (1.51 miles) walks with me and the High Anxiety Dog at least once a day, and takes the HAD for a spin around the block by himself a couple of times a day. He has also become very active in a couple of “Friends” of state parks groups, and does trail cleanup, painting, works on cabins, and is helping restore a blacksmith’s shop and move cannons and other reenactment and historical gear.

He got an Apple Watch about six months ago, and makes a concerted effort to close all his rings every day. He also dutifully gets up and moves when Siri tells him to. The Apple Watch has been very motivating.

He doesn’t pre-log his diary, but mentally calculates how much he’s got left.

Although he’s lost two pants sizes, he’s still 2.7 points into the obese range, and is frustrated he hasn’t lost weight in several months.

We had a long conversation this morning about him maybe having found his maintenance. Otherwise, is he weighing correctly (I try not to stand over his shoulder), is he recording everything, is he eating all or just part of his exercise calories (prevailing wisdom here is to not eat all in case there’s errors) ?

He feels like he is good on all points. So we discussed that the only thing left to try is to cut his calories a little bit.

He’s digging in his heels. He’s at a happy place with what he can eat, and his doctor told him he’s fine with him maintaining, but not to gain more.

He’s also waaaaaay more active and energized than he was this time last year, which is a win-win for both of us. He looks younger, obviously feels better, and has slimmed down, regardless of lengthy plateau.

I guess we’ll see what the results of his blood tests are, and see what he wants to do from there.

All in all, down 35 pounds in a year, off diabetes meds, feeling better, more active and more engaged.

But yeah, he had to give up Cheez-Its.

Fair trade.
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

What an achievement!! Congratulations to him!

I know you know this, but for his benefit (and others reading), he could perhaps do something like just cut 50 calories from his daily allotment. He will likely not notice, but it should result in a super-slow weight loss. I mean, what's the hurry right? If he wants out of the obese range, that might work.

Or, he could just be happy where he is. Chip clip belt and all. :D

• Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,440 Member
    Congratulations to BL (and to you for doing it again)! I've still to put my mind to 'good trade' on the Cheez-Its, I can happily mostly avoid, but I can't quite call it a good trade...YET.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    So this month is BL’s one year anniversary month on MFP, and he had his second doctors visit this morning.

He was able to come off diabetes meds following his first visit, which was a major success right there.

He started at 1870 target calories per day, and his current target is 1910, not including exercise calories.

He had lost 40, but at his weigh-in at the doctor’s office this morning was only down 35.

He began with an average of 1874 steps per day and two Tai Chi classes per week.

He now walks at least 10,000 steps per day, does two Tai Chi, and five aquafit classes per week. He also does “Around the Church” (1.51 miles) walks with me and the High Anxiety Dog at least once a day, and takes the HAD for a spin around the block by himself a couple of times a day. He has also become very active in a couple of “Friends” of state parks groups, and does trail cleanup, painting, works on cabins, and is helping restore a blacksmith’s shop and move cannons and other reenactment and historical gear.

He got an Apple Watch about six months ago, and makes a concerted effort to close all his rings every day. He also dutifully gets up and moves when Siri tells him to. The Apple Watch has been very motivating.

He doesn’t pre-log his diary, but mentally calculates how much he’s got left.

Although he’s lost two pants sizes, he’s still 2.7 points into the obese range, and is frustrated he hasn’t lost weight in several months.

We had a long conversation this morning about him maybe having found his maintenance. Otherwise, is he weighing correctly (I try not to stand over his shoulder), is he recording everything, is he eating all or just part of his exercise calories (prevailing wisdom here is to not eat all in case there’s errors) ?

He feels like he is good on all points. So we discussed that the only thing left to try is to cut his calories a little bit.

He’s digging in his heels. He’s at a happy place with what he can eat, and his doctor told him he’s fine with him maintaining, but not to gain more.

He’s also waaaaaay more active and energized than he was this time last year, which is a win-win for both of us. He looks younger, obviously feels better, and has slimmed down, regardless of lengthy plateau.

I guess we’ll see what the results of his blood tests are, and see what he wants to do from there.

All in all, down 35 pounds in a year, off diabetes meds, feeling better, more active and more engaged.

But yeah, he had to give up Cheez-Its.

Fair trade.
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

What a testimony!! Congratulations to him 🙂
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    @springlering62 I have really enjoyed reading the updates about your BL! He’s had such an amazing journey. I have been super inspired by both of you - these posts kept me going when things were really dark.

Anyway, I’m leaving MFP and just wanted to say thanks for your honest posting. No doubt y’all are going to be awesome for years to come. Rooting for both of you! 🌼

• coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    I can't believe it's been a year! Bravo to both of you. It's been fun watching the journey. :)