Cheese Admiration and Celebration

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,388 Member
    @BarbaraHelen2013 i had to look that up. That sounds extremely interesting!
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    I went to a cheese paradise today. I wanted something of everything! I only ended up getting aged smoked Gouda, dill havarti and some Brie bites. I really wanted some Michigan tomato basil but there were only big chunks and I’m saving my money for an overseas trip in December.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    edited August 2022
    joans1976 wrote: »
    I went to a cheese paradise today. I wanted something of everything! I only ended up getting aged smoked Gouda, dill havarti and some Brie bites. I really wanted some Michigan tomato basil but there were only big chunks and I’m saving my money for an overseas trip in December.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! (Assuming we're talking Horrocks, since you said you planned to go there today. It's also pretty much a produce paradise, a beer/wine paradise, in season a garden plants paradise, and more.)
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    @AnnPT77 It is a paradise! I got some lovely peaches too. So so so much candy to look at. I’m more of a savory person. I did get my plant collector/hoarder friend an adorable and healthy Venus Fly Trap.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,321 Member
    I’m going through a squeaky-cheese phase. The UK has been suffering a heatwave and we’re not good at this kind of heat, so I haven’t wanted to eat anything heavy. Dry-fried halloumi with fresh tomatoes and melon, drizzled with lemon olive oil and some black pepper has been gorgeous 😀 it’s only from the local supermarket so not the best quality, but still delicious.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    Before vegan.. Goat cheese, the soft kind. OMG. If I did decide to include dairy it would be goat cheese! It's so creamy good. My past roomate used to have rice cakes with goat cheese and avocado. I wish there was a plant based one. That was quality like the high end farmers market.

I also loved loved loved my great grandma's Mac and cheese. Wow. Soo much cheese, cooked with a bit of crunchy on top from browning cheese. She was old world Lithuanian

My dad's side is Sicilian. My Aunt made A-Mazing manicotti and baked ziti, lasagna and chicken parmesaun.

Yes I has an abundance of cheese in my childhood.
    Not to forget the REAL New York pizza...mmm
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Today's snack was dedicated to cheese (about 1/2 of the wedge). No crackers or other distractions, as it was delicious as it was.
    rlezf6ey1mdf.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Today's snack was dedicated to cheese (about 1/2 of the wedge). No crackers or other distractions, as it was delicious as it was.
    rlezf6ey1mdf.jpg

Yum! Coincidentally, I ate a small wedge of cranberry Wensleydale last night myself - the last delicious bit of it I had on hand. Like you, I ate it plain: In my case, sliced ultra-thin into sheets that would melt on my tongue, to make it last and savor it as long as possible. So good!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I can't eat cheese anymore for health reasons but-
    I grew up in a Sicilian family on my dad's side. Growing up we were in New York and got the BEST CHEESE EVER! It was truly authentic (1970's) whole parmesaun we would grate ourselves, mozzarella, hard cheeses and ricotta.
    I would take a ball of provolone and melt it in microwave on a plate and just eat it.
    One of my favorites was my mom's grilled cheese. She would use swiss, provolone and American on buttered bread. I also loved pimento cheese sandwiches.

I'm plant based now but have managed to find specialty vegan cheeses at the farmers market near me. They are made from cashew , sunflower or pumpkin seed. Nothing like store brands. They are really expensive but I treat myself every few weekends

I used to do that microwave thing with a thin layer of grated parmesan-type hard cheese, too: Made a nice crispy, delicious, lacy-looking round, if I watched the timing carefully.

I'm glad you're finding tasty vegan cheeses: I've mostly only had those as an ingredient in foods, like in tacos or sandwiches or something like that at restaurants. They were tasty, but I don't know much about the brands and such in that context. Those cheeses are welcome on this thread, too, in posts of a personal-enthusiasms nature. 🙂

I have a glass cooktop now, so it's harder to use my cast iron. It used to be my go-to cookware for everything. Sometimes when the pan was hot from cooking and I wanted to cool it off, I would toss in a few chunks of sharp cheddar cheese. It would melt, then it would bubble and get crisp on the bottom. A careful flip, and next thing you know there's this crispy, cheesy goodness. There was always oil left in the pan when done - perfect for keeping the season on the cast iron. And yes, it wasn't just to cool the pan. Sometimes I'd just make it because it was so good. I used to have a name for it.

I haven't had a microwave since the early '90s.

And, I just have to say:
    • Cambozola - sometimes described as "Blue Brie," although it's not.
    • Humboldt Fog - if you haven't had this goat cheese, take out a home equity loan and go buy yourself a few ounces because.... <drool>

I'm actually going to pick up some string cheese tomorrow for the raft trip. It doesn't really need to be refrigerated, so it makes a handy snack I can keep in one of the dryboxes near my legs in the rower's bay.

• AnnPT77
    edited August 2022
    @mtaratoot, the Humboldt Fog's already gotten some coverage on this thread (it's one of my favorite cheeses, too - sometimes Whole Foods even knocks a couple of bucks off the per-pound), as has Cambozola. Black label Cambozola got a specific recommendation. I admit I haven't tried the Cambozola yet, though @Nicoles0305 reported on making her own, in this very thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/46710430#Comment_46710430

I like some of the other Cypress Grove cheeses, too (Lamb Chopper, Midnight Moon, the chevres - especially Psychedillic) but the Humboldt Fog is extra good.
  • missmeggg
    missmeggg Posts: 8 Member
    Cheese is my love language. I'm a Wisconsin girl, and cheese is like it's own separate food group. Always worth the calories! My favorite is any kind of cheese from Henning's, but especially their aged cheddar and fresh squeaky cheese curds (we get them right from the factory on the day they're made). If I'm really trying to watch my intake, I'll have nonfat cottage cheese.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    @mtaratoot, the Humboldt Fog's already gotten some coverage on this thread (it's one of my favorite cheeses, too - sometimes Whole Foods even knocks a couple of bucks off the per-pound), as has Cambozola. Black label Cambozola got a specific recommendation. I admit I haven't tried the Cambozola yet, though @Nicoles0305 reported on making her own, in this very thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/46710430#Comment_46710430

I like some of the other Cypress Grove cheeses, too (Lamb Chopper, Midnight Moon, the chevres - especially Psychedillic) but the Humboldt Fog is extra good.

I am going to buy a lottery ticket today. If I win, I'll buy some Humboldt Fog. Lamb chopper is good, but... Ya know what? I'm going to buy some today even if it is almost $30 per pound. Just a tiny sliver.

Trader Joe's usually has a good price for Cambozola.

I used to get a cheese called Dry Jack. It was shelf-stable so could go on backpacking trips. Today I'll buy some <gasp> string cheese because it also can be OK without refrigeration for a week or two. I can stash some in the drybox by my legs to snack on while on the river without needing to open the cooler and let the heat in. We generally only open the cooler once it cools off a bit in the evening unless we just have to get supper going while it's still excessively hot. Good cooler management means you can have ice after ten days or more. One poor fellow on our trip can't eat cheese. I feel for him.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    edited August 2022
    ANNPT77, mtararoot- These are the exceptional top notch nut and seed cheeses for anyone sensitive- but even if you love cheese these are incredible!
    Very$$$ but they are a treat for me 💜 udujgjwfghys.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    ANNPT77, mtararoot- These are the exceptional top notch nut and seed cheeses for anyone sensitive- but even if you love cheese these are incredible!
    Very$$$ but they are a treat for me 💜 udujgjwfghys.jpg

@VegjoyP, I'll have to keep my eyes open at the places locally that stock non-dairy cheeses - there are a few. I will try them if I see them. I admit, I do love my dairy cheese, but I like to try things, and am open to liking a non-dairy option. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,867 Member
    I put a twice baked smoked gouda souffle on the menu as an appetizer and has turned out to be very popular. I smoke gouda myself from a local cheese maker. Normally I'll use a comte from France but wanted something a little different and more local. Cheers.
  • AnnPT77
    I put a twice baked smoked gouda souffle on the menu as an appetizer and has turned out to be very popular. I smoke gouda myself from a local cheese maker. Normally I'll use a comte from France but wanted something a little different and more local. Cheers.

@Neanderthin, that sounds pretty wonderful: I'm a fan of both souffle and smoked gouda.

Which reminds me, it's been an age since I made souffle. It's one of the things that has (IMO) an exaggerated reputation for being near-impossibly difficult to make. My late husband was good with it, and liked to make it to impress dinner guests who - for some reason - tended to be surprised that he could cook (WTHeck?), let alone that he could make (gasp) souffle. 🤣
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2022

@Neanderthin, that sounds pretty wonderful: I'm a fan of both souffle and smoked gouda.

Which reminds me, it's been an age since I made souffle. It's one of the things that has (IMO) an exaggerated reputation for being near-impossibly difficult to make. My late husband was good with it, and liked to make it to impress dinner guests who - for some reason - tended to be surprised that he could cook (WTHeck?), let alone that he could make (gasp) souffle. 🤣

Hahaha that's funny and so true that people are impressed when a souffle is presented and good for your late husband that he had the touch. The reputation for being difficult I believe is from a souffles inability to stay inflated and collapse relatively soon after removal from the oven, which can't be helped and why a souffle waits for no one.

I also sautee some minced shallot and thyme in butter and add to the base as an added dimension to the smoked cheese as well as a little nutmeg and of course some salt for balance.

EDIT TO ADD: I use a local full fat organic goat milk, but a regular cows milk is fine and normally used as I'm sure your aware. Cheers.
  • AnnPT77

Hahaha that's funny and so true that people are impressed when a souffle is presented and good for your late husband that he had the touch. The reputation for being difficult I believe is from a souffles inability to stay inflated and collapse relatively soon after removal from the oven, which can't be helped and why a souffle waits for no one.

I also sautee some minced shallot and thyme in butter and add to the base as an added dimension to the smoked cheese as well as a little nutmeg and of course some salt for balance.

EDIT TO ADD: I use a local full fat organic goat milk, but a regular cows milk is fine and normally used as I'm sure your aware. Cheers.

Nutmeg is underappreciated as an add to savory/cheese dishes. My mama taught me about that. The thyme sounds like a good add, too, and I have some out in the garden. Hmm, you're inspiring me here! (We'll see if my energy level supports that inspiration, though. 🤣)
  • neanderthin
    Well if you do make one don't forget the cheese sauce to drizzle into the souffle which is basically just cheese melted into some milk and a little nutmeg there as well wouldn't hurt. Cheers.