Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,583 Member
    edited July 2022
    In my younger days I owned a single scull and used it for coastal open water rowing. Not competitive, just for fun. For a while it was my favourite sport - even more so than cycling. Then I crushed two thoracic vertebrae and I haven't really done much rowing since...my spine is my achilles heel as I've injured it badly on three separate occasions (once through mountain biking, once when trying to lift an obese man who'd fallen down some stairs, and once when I fell badly when rock climbing) so now I try to avoid anything that might aggravate it too much. But I do miss the open water, especially when it was a bit choppy... I used a Concept 2 occasionally at the gym, but I can't see me having another gym membership anytime soon. As you may have noticed, I like an adrenalin-edge to my exercise...can't beat a little fear to get the juices flowing. Which is why I prefer mountain biking to road cycling (unless I'm playing chicken with a combine harvester on a narrow country lane).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Err..... Have hubby sneak in behind you and yell boo.... there you go: safe adrenaline without hospital repairs! 😹
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Feed your body the way you would if you were slim and trim!

That being said, …..
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Never let a stumble in the road be the end of your journey ❤️
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Never let a stumble in the road be the end of your journey ❤️

What about a big deep pot hole?….asking for a friend!
  • Yoolypr
    Climb out, fill the pothole and move on. Oh - and don’t go down that road anymore.
  • PAV8888
    Climb out! , fill the pothole and move on. Oh - and don’t go down that road anymore.

Fixed it for you: since we're not going down that road who gives a kitten as to what happens to the pot-hole? You're out and you're moving on. That's all that matters! :kissing_heart:
  • Yoolypr
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Climb out! , fill the pothole and move on. Oh - and don’t go down that road anymore.

Fixed it for you: since we're not going down that road who gives a kitten as to what happens to the pot-hole? You're out and you're moving on. That's all that matters! :kissing_heart:

Sorry PAV - but you’ve got to fill the pothole too. Because that’s when you spend some time figuring out how deep it is, why you fell in, how to avoid potholes in the future. Move on too soon and you’ll fall into the same pothole again. Ask me how I know.........
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2022
    So I had several go-go-go days and between lack of time and extra activity there were zero issues with not over-eating, even with being thousands of Cal over with the Chinese Buffet. If anything I went down a couple of lbs.

It has only taken a week of being slightly more relaxed and reducing activity level to normal--or slightly normal below due to heat--while having SLIGHTLY more time to eat... to post solid +500 to +750 days and get right back to where I was! And I can feel it too: food is more interesting all of a sudden and I'm thinking of things to cook! :blush:

So what's the scoop poop (or would that be the poop scoop)? That especially after a loss there is NO RELAXING. Not right away. And especially NOT if you want to keep the loss. To the contrary the first few days/weeks/months/years--depending on length and degree of preceding loss--are where the game is gets played.

Loss is a necessary pre-condition, it's the time during which we accumulate tickets for the maintenance raffle. The more tickets we manage to collect by learning about ourselves and embedding helpful behaviors... the more likely we are to win prizes during the raffle.
  • Yoolypr
    Yup - relax a couple of days and those two or three pounds find you immediately.
  • Yoolypr
    e6znfib611cd.jpeg
  • Yoolypr
    yag4kwl01cel.jpeg
  • Yoolypr
    It’s been awfully quiet around here! Guess everyone is busy with end of summer fun. But I do miss the daily interaction.

Personally I cannot wait for summer to end. We are into day 60 of 100+ temperatures. Hottest and driest May, June and July on record. There are at least two more months of summer heat with not much respite in sight. And now we’re dealing with crazy close wildfires and smoke.

Looking forward to that first cool day when I can open the windows and not breathe “conditioned” air. Today should be 106F with a heat index of 112. ☀️🔥☀️🔥🔥
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    Sounds terrible, Yooly. We are having a relatively cool day here today only 85 - full cloud cover - no sun. But it is like walking in soup. Ten feet out the door and you can barely breath. Yuck.
  • PAV8888
    Today I broke out a JACKET (ok just a rain jacket but still!) The girl and I are expecting a range of 12 to 14C tonight! (54 to 58F-- no rain currently)
  • Yoolypr
    I hate you PAV!

Seriously considering emigration to Canada. But hubby might miss me?
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    Sounds beautiful, PAV.

I would love to walk in some soft cool rain .... aahhhh.

Maybe you should pack him with you, Yooly?
  • Yoolypr
    ghwhqxahynl2.jpeg
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,583 Member
    I came across this poem today and it really resonated for me... so applicable to a lifetime of trying to control one's weight! Apparently it's a really famous poem, but I've never come across it before.

An Autobiography in Five Chapters
    by Portia Nelson

Chapter 1
    I walk down the street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I fall in. I am lost….I am helpless.
    It isn’t my fault.
    It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2
    I walk down the same street.
    There is a deep hole in the side walk.
    I pretend I don’t see it. I fall in again.
    I can’t believe I am in the same place.
    But it isn’t my fault.
    It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3
    I see it is there.
    I fall in….it’s a habit…but my eyes are open.
    I know where I am. It is my fault.
    I get out immediately.

Chapter 4
    I walk around it.

Chapter 5
    I walk down a different street.