This September I Will...

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,209 Member
edited September 2022 in Social Groups
vbl6si6dnt4d.jpg

Happy September, Everyone!

I hope you had a great, relaxing summer and are looking forward to the fall. With one third of 2022 still ahead of us, we have plenty of time to practice and implement new habits that will make us healthier, happier, and better able to cope with whatever life throws our way.

What's on your to-do list for September?

If you are joining us for the first time, a very warm welcome! We are glad you are here. Please make sure you’ve reviewed our Newcomer’s Guide as it will help you get started. Set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on.

If you are new to habit building, please start slowly with small, achievable daily steps that you can build upon. We want you to succeed at your goals and habits researchers are clear that the most successful path to any goal is through small, repeatable actions taken everyday. These repeatable actions grow into habits and good habits will change your life.

And if you're joining us midway through the month, just jump right in! No need to wait until October. Begin now and you'll be that much closer to achieving your goal. If you're looking for ideas, our list of previous challenges may come in handy.

Let’s make it a super September!

🌷Denise & 🌸Maddie
@themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

New to Habit Building?

Be sure and read our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building.

It will help you make your habit stick!

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    I am back after skipping last month.

This September I will share limited plates (two appetizers or one appetizer and one entree) with my partner when eating in restaurants.

This is important because we'll be on vacation from 6-17 September and I tend to gain a few pounds on vacation due to all the restaurant meals. By limiting the food I will be more likely to no gain any weight.

• jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 3,973 Member
    edited September 2022
    @MadisonMolly2017 Maddie - don’t be sorry. 💛 There isn’t a single person here who doesn’t wish you well and genuinely want to support you. 🥹 That all sounds like a lot. We have a mail thief in our area now too. We have video footage of the person from multiple houses — and he isn’t shy about showing his face (though he still hasn’t been caught). He rides a bike (and wears a safety helmet — and I honestly don’t know why I find that aspect so astounding 🧐). Car alarms go off throughout the night as I guess the “folks that will” check all the door handles to see if this is their lucky car. My car was ransacked last month (communication error after grocery pickup and it wasn’t locked). We are all disheartened it has come to this in our lovely quiet residential neighbourhood.

I am so glad to read that your husband is going to take a break with you and that you will be able to get away for the postponed anniversary trip! I am also glad to read that you are willing to seek out the help of a professional if this keeps on. I did. I only wish I did it sooner. 🥰 Take good care of your wonderful self.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    🐬🐳🐬🐙🐬🐳🐬
    🐳🐬 SEPTEMBER 🐬🐳
    🐬🐳🐬🐙🐬🐳🐬

Daily Solid Habits:
    👌🏻👌🏻3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    1. My goal for September (This September I will...")
    For September, I am continuing to clear out an old filing cabinet
    (Using ‘am’ as opposed to ‘I will … ‘ as it gives me less scope to cop out.
    2. The small actions I am taking to accomplish this goal
    a) Sort and declutter papers for 10 minutes.
    b) Store essential papers; shred/bin the rest
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit.
    Reminder on phone.
    4. How often am I doing my new September habit (daily is best if possible)
    Daily 🗑 or 🤦‍♀️
    🗑🗑3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 17 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    5. What reward am I immediately giving myself for doing my habit?
    I am doing a victory 💃🏼 and 🗑
    6. What help do you need from us?
    Click “Like” or any of the feedback responses so I know you are reading? Having this place to report in every few days and knowing someone else is reading is really helpful.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of September ?
    An empty filing cabinet.

• TerriRichardson112
    @MadisonMolly
    You can do this. Just take it one day at a time.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 3,973 Member
    edited September 2022
    This September I will continue my pre-tracking habit and take up #WalkingTowardsFall (as I did last year.)

1. I am a planner who pre-tracks her daily food consumption.

♥️ ♥️ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Success days are noted with a heart ♥️ and any missed opportunities with a 👎🏻

2. I am #WalkingTowardsFall and I purposefully walk outdoors every day to take in the sights and sounds of the change of the seasons.
    🍁 ☁️ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Success days are noted with a heart 🍁 and any missed opportunities with a ☁️
  • TerriRichardson112
    @jamcnewman That’s a very apt progression of habits Julie. 👌🏻
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited September 2022
    @MadisonMolly
    I went back and read your post. You have had a lot to deal with.

As for the health and fitness, going back to basics and preemptive tracking is a good place to start. The routine change from your son going might help too.

Try to enjoy that long overdue vacation with DH, an recharge the batteries. Concentrate on this positive experience.

We are here for you.

• kjemudder
    kjemudder Posts: 426 Member
    This September I will:
    1. Track everything I eat on MFP.
    2. Use new habit tracker daily.

Hi to my new group of friends and support! I have been struggling with increasing weight for years, and find that I give up too easily. Mostly I will snack on 'bad for me' stuff when I'm bored, or feel like I've earned a 'reward' for something. Ugh, it's a vicious cycle. I've tried paying for methods and apps with no sense of accountability. "It's my money", I'll eat if I want to, haha. Frankly, I am aging fast and need to take control. Thank you all in advance, as I start once again.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,680 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 , I’m so sorry that you’re struggling with so much. Hugs! I understand about the mouse - last year we had a rat in the house. Yuck, and it was stealing tomatoes from the dining room table. Eek! It really depressed me. We are still on tenterhooks trying to prevent any more from getting in the house. Another stressor you really didn’t need! I’m so glad you’re getting a trip. I hope it helps you feel better. Don’t underestimate the power of a vacation. As for your son being so far away - that must be so hard.

Sorry I’ve been away from the group. I need to get back to my foundational habits, so for my habit, I’m going to do at least 30 minutes each of cardio, strength, and yoga. I really have slacked off for most of the summer. I’m not sure how to frame the habit. @jamcnewman I love the #WalkingToward Fall. - great idea!
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 2,977 Member
    edited September 2022
    Goals/ habits for September
    * Track honestly/pretrack 💖
    * Maintain weight 58 to 62 kg and build muscle 💖
    *Take measurements 2wkly 💖
    * Look for opportunities💖
    * De clutter 💖
    * In bed by 9pm! 💖
    * Focus on an attitude for gratitude💖

• donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 2,977 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 u got this!!! We believe in you and know how determined you are! U will get thru this. Love Donna. Xo
  • TerriRichardson112
    🐬🐳🐬🐙🐬🐳🐬
    🐳🐬 SEPTEMBER 🐬🐳
    🐬🐳🐬🐙🐬🐳🐬

Daily Solid Habits:
    👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    1. My goal for September (This September I will...")
    For September, I am continuing to clear out an old filing cabinet
    (Using ‘am’ as opposed to ‘I will … ‘ as it gives me less scope to cop out.
    2. The small actions I am taking to accomplish this goal
    a) Sort and declutter papers > 10 minutes.
    b) Store essential papers; shred/bin the rest
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit.
    Reminder on phone.
    4. How often am I doing my new September habit (daily is best if possible)
    Daily 🗑 or 🤦‍♀️
    🗑🗑🗑4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 17 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    5. What reward am I immediately giving myself for doing my habit?
    I am doing a victory 💃🏼 and 🗑
    6. What help do you need from us?
    Click “Like” or any of the feedback responses so I know you are reading? Having this place to report in every few days and knowing someone else is reading is really helpful.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of September?
    An empty filing cabinet.

So much unnecessary paperwork mounts up because it’s out of sight. I’m still working through old banking documents, shredding is creating lots of material for our compost bins. We have changed banks several times and some of them no longer exist!!! Why do we keep these things?

• TerriRichardson112
    edited September 2022
    @77tes Good to see you back with us.

Framing habits is a very personal thing. You could consider setting yourself up for success to start with and frame them positively.

Eg: for you physical ones, start with a lower target …

Cardio > 10 mins 5 times a week
    Strength > 10 mins 3 times a week
    Flex > 10 mins 3 times a week

Then you could review after a week or 2 and adapt.

Just a suggestion, but it worked a treat for me.

• themedalist
    jamcnewman wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 Maddie - don’t be sorry. 💛 There isn’t a single person here who doesn’t wish you well and genuinely want to support you. 🥹 That all sounds like a lot. We have a mail thief in our area now too. We have video footage of the person from multiple houses — and he isn’t shy about showing his face (though he still hasn’t been caught). He rides a bike (and wears a safety helmet — and I honestly don’t know why I find that aspect so astounding 🧐). Car alarms go off throughout the night as I guess the “folks that will” check all the door handles to see if this is their lucky car. My car was ransacked last month (communication error after grocery pickup and it wasn’t locked). We are all disheartened it has come to this in our lovely quiet residential neighbourhood.

I am so glad to read that your husband is going to take a break with you and that you will be able to get away for the postponed anniversary trip! I am also glad to read that you are willing to seek out the help of a professional if this keeps on. I did. I only wish I did it sooner. 🥰 Take good care of your wonderful self.

I have nothing to add to @jamcnewman’s post and Julie thank you for expressing it so beautifully! We all love you, @MadisonMolly2017 and I’m delighted to hear you’ll be taking a needed vacation. Sometimes a break from our home where the stress lives and our emotions get cued by our physical environment is just the reset we need!
  • themedalist
    Great September goals everyone. And a special welcome to new member @kjemudder and welcome back to @77tes. As you all know, I ebb and flow as to how participatory I am in our group. I would like to be here every day, but with my work commitments, taking care of my elderly parents, and volunteer work that isn’t possible. But I will check in when I can and I think of you all every day. Changing my daily habits is the only way I’ve kept 50 pounds off for 11 years now. Whatever habits you feel you need to change, change is possible and it’s well worth the effort! We are here to cheer you on!
  • themedalist
    I love @jamcnewman’s #WalkingTowardFall goal too! September is a beautiful month to be walking outdoors and since next month is Walktober, why not get a jump on outdoor walking now? We will be doing something for Walktober, still TBD. Unfortunately, I can’t coordinate another weekly virtual walk as we did through the UK last year. I am traveling a lot for work next month and I just can’t commit the time to make it happen. But we will do something special for Walktober and suggestions are most welcome!
  • TerriRichardson112
    @themedalist
    Thank you so much for keeping the group going. We appreciate all that you do,

RL is hectic at times, especially with family and work commitments. It’s not always practical to be here every day.

I totally get how much time you need to care for elderly parents.