Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) I just came back from walking to deliver zucchini and cherry tomatoes to three of my neighbors

B) We have smoke here from fires on both sides of Puget Sound

:) My first thought about the new king was OMG he is only a few years younger than I am and how I would hate to have such a public job thrust on me now

<3 Barbie
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 176 Member
    Good evening friends..

Finally got caught up with what has been going on with all of you wonderful sneakers. I was so behind and I felt if I didn't catch up gradually I would miss so much not knowing about what all has gone on with everyone. So pleased to read that basically all is well with everyone and life is chugging along as they say.

It has been an interesting summer in more than one way. First our son and family sold their home and then moved to Tennessee at the later part of May. They just felt it was time to leave California like so many others have done. So number one child has flown the coup as they say and we sure miss not seeing all of them. Wished he hadn't moved clear across the US, but they are happy there. Our two granddaughters are liking their new school and my son has already gotten a promotion with his job, so he is doing well also. They just recently purchased a split level home, which they will move into next month. My dils mother will be living in the downstairs suite. More recently she fell and broke her wrist requiring a lot of help from her daughter. In due time our dil will also find a job to return to work too.

This has been a very hot summer for us in California with record highs this past week of temps between 105 and 111. We have lived in this part of the state for 48 yrs now never having temps like this summer. So we hibernate in the house to stay cool getting all errands run first thing in the morning. We thankfully had a new ac put in at the beginning of the summer, so between that and the ceiling fans we have managed to stay cool. Its a real juggling act because they want no appliances used and temps regulated at 78 between 4 and 9 pm due to power shortages. Never mind we dread this next months power bill. With water restrictions the plants aren't to happy either. If we were younger we would leave the state also.

The fires are growing in numbers the last 3 weeks. There is one at the most northern part of the state that has burned for days. About 3 days ago another started about a half an hour away. It has burned
    33, 700 acres now with zero containment. We have camped in this area, so it is so hard watching all of this. The smoke isn't too bad here thankfully, but you do smell it a bit and as you go east from our place you see the smoke intensifying. 89 today....wonderful !! Our daughter lives closer to the fire, but
    thankfully not too close and on the opposite side of the lg freeway.

I too have been watching whatever has been on tv about the queens passing. My grandmother was
    brought up living quite close to Buckingham Palace. She was a traditionally English has you get and I fondly remember the cups of tea as kids with her and the petite fours we enjoyed also. Anytime anything was on about the queen it was on tv and she loved Princess Diana. I have a special liking for all of this as my name is Diane Elizabeth.....just by chance...LOL Loved the poem Sandy sent and of course I shared it with my sister, who also is a royal follower. I too have only known of Queen Elizabeth. Thinking in particular of Anne and Jackie during this time. Sad times for all.....

Wish all of you the best as we gradually age. I too became one of those grey haired ladies during the pandemic period. So glad not to have to deal with that any longer. Trying hard to get back into a walking routine if only my feet and shoes would cooperate. The joys of getting older; with osteoporosis becoming a part of my life I have to change some of my ways.

Thinking of all of you. Please take care.....
    Diane

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,664 Member
    edited September 2022
    A leisurely start to my Sunday followed by a stroll with George and Betty. I took them in my car to a quiet local spot on the edge of the moor because I needed to drive into town for pet supplies. Lots of discounts on dog food and treats so we are stocked up! Lots of small tasks to get done today then I might do some gardening later if it remains dry. It’s currently overcast after early thick fog lifted. The pooches will be dropped off for their week holiday on Friday and I will drive on to my friend Pat in Gloucestershire. It’s impossible to gauge what clothing should be packed although generally it is always colder in Northumberland so I’ll go with warmth!

Hello Diane, what a treat to read your post and know you and your family are ok. I’m still contemplating the grey hair but have a spare box of the pink colour I used during our first lockdown should I panic! 😄

Anne, it would be grown up of Harry to be more understanding and supportive of his brother’s new duties but I think we won’t know if changes will happen until Meghan returns home. She will either continue her sniping at his family or hopefully have learnt about dignity and respect. Harry will do as he’s told!

Hello to everyone. I must do something constructive, even if only to sort through an ever growing pile of papers.
    Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Our garage door warped with the heat and wouldn't shut until it cooled down. The smell inside makes me think we have a mommy skunk making a home inside amongst Marks building supplies. I daren't look!

Anne.
  • JillyBurg7
    Oh, and the old man at the back must have run out of socks. I'm getting small plastic bottles now!
    Never a dull moment around here these days!
    Anne again.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,002 Member
    edited September 2022
    Happy Sunday! :) Rainy day here and quite gloomy. I am sitting for a couple of hours today so Rob and Lisa can clean their crawl space. Lisa has all her school supplies from when she was teaching and I think she is going to go through it all because she is applying for a new special ed job for preschoolers at her old school. I guess she wants to be ready if hired. She is also going for training for Catechism at 1:00. So my son asked if I could keep kids busy so they don't bother them. :p
    Babe will stay home to watch the Bears play football and I will be home to make dinner.

Anne, that old guy makes me laugh, does he not see your house and think it is an empty field?? Uh oh, be careful when moving things nothing worse than being skunked.

Jackie, since you are driving you can bring different seasons of clothes, lol. It is always a pain trying to get everything done before traveling but worth it in the end. I am sure the pups will be happy with Linda and her pups.

Diane, good to hear from you. It is hard when our children move out of state, I have two out of state and one in state that lives four hours away. Rob and his family are a half hour away so at least I get to see the little grandchildren. I am sorry about the heat and the fires and pray you stay safe as well as your daughter. Your name in perfect honoring both the queen and Diana.

Barbie, I think Charles has been preparing for this his whole life. I just wish Diana could have been queen.

Lin, sorry about the home page the only thing I can think of is to clear your browser and try again.
    We are getting rain today and tomorrow and cooler temps until the weekend.

Patsy, I feel as you and John do and was very sad to hear of the Queen's passing. She was well loved by most from what I read. Her funeral will be amazing and I wonder if Elton John will again perform his song for her.

Time to get moving and get showered. Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Because of the haze caused by the wildfires, our temps haven’t been bad. We were to get drizzle but so far that didn’t happen. Grateful for the reprieve of hot weather.

We woke up yesterday to very scary orange skies and a smoky smell. Naturally Damon called to say he had done as much research as he could and saw nothing threatening us. But we were to keep tuned in to the radio in case. He was to go sailing all weekend.

I have been preparing a packet of our children’s stories to shop around again. The funny thing is that just as we decide on one publisher, it goes out of business or is bought up by a larger publishing house. This is like playing roulette, the changes of wining is rather remote but fun to think about. I just want to see them in the form of a real book.

Writing these children stories reminds me of my days of gallery shows. The fun was planning and painting. The shows were a nightmare of anxiety. The gallery owners were always monster parasites who lived off the hard work of others. Okay! Unfair! I admit it. Consider it a rant from someone who has had way too much coffee.

Diane: indeed a delight to hear you are safe and somewhat comfortable. I would be a nervous wreck living so near the fires. Now they are predicting floods? Seriously? Interesting that Tennessee has become the new place to relocate. I did think it was beautiful and full of sweet people. I didn't feel I had much in common with them, but they were very cordial.

Back later…dish washer making an odd noise.
    Patsy☘️
  • barbiecat
    <3
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,047 Member
    Good evening.

Diane, so very happy to read your nice post. Very newsy! I am sorry for the conditions in California this year. I pray that you and your DH will remain safe and relatively comfortable. Have you received any texts about cutting back on electricity on some day(s)? That is a newer way to alert people to do something proactive to prevent brownouts. Long ago I remember we would hear an alert on the radio and/or television in certain circumstances. Sometimes the alerts were weather related. I am sure you miss your son and family. It would be a long trip to go to see them. A friend of mine would like to go to visit their son in California but they cannot agree on how they could get there. They both have increasing numbers of medical problems and are not sure they want to be on the road for a long drive for example when each of them has had problems requiring emergency rooms, tests, etc. this year.

Barbie, you must have some happy neighbors with today’s vegetable deliveries. 👍🏻👍🏻

Anne, oh my gosh, he’s run out of socks. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Watch yourself as the objects become less soft and harmless. Are the bottles full of something? Argh, skunk!!!

Jackie, it sounds like a nice day for you and the doggies. I hope you have another one tomorrow.

Sandy, I don’t know what was going on with MFP yesterday it seems it is one thing or another but the newsfeed went back to normal later on in the evening. I didn’t do anything different. Surprises.

Patsy, oh lovely, children’s stories. What fun. Well, the business part of things is probably not a lot of fun.

So I had some problems around here today and finally called the handyman who came a few hours later. All is well now.

I see I need to order more A and AAA batteries, looking for a sale!

I have several cards ready to mail, one for the friend who is in ICU and the other is a birthday card.

A good day overall. The rain stopped and it was rather chilly, so fall-like!

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

0t96vd1kh9mb.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Judy Watson posted this on Facebook. Loved it!❤️

b9b25vq9dy16.jpeg
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,664 Member
    edited September 2022
    6pqvybj5wl8e.jpeg

Lots of marmalade sandwiches left outside Buckingham Palace for the Queen’s journey. ❤️
    “No more Paddington bears please.” is the latest request from the Palace but sandwiches not mentioned!

Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    edited September 2022
    Hi everyone. I liked the drawing left for the queen, did anyone else see it? It showed the back view of her majesty walking towards heaven and from heaven; bounding towards her; all these joyous corgis rushing to greet her. The two remaining corgis she had at the end are off to live with Prince Andrew. He and his daughters gave her the puppies a year ago to try and cheer her up and he promised to take them should she die.

Regarding socks Mary jo came up with an interesting suggestion. Could the old chap be hurling them and bottles at the raccoons and skunks looking for winter quarters in our garages?
    That IS a possibility because some neighbours have experienced shingle damage in past autumns, and I don't really want the old lad to be suffering from some affliction. Nothing in our garage, phew.

Great to read you again Diane!

See you all later. Its going to rain all day apparently so Mark and Mary Jo are buying paint and going to paint the tiny hall and stairwell. With warm looking wooden stair treads and bannister we've all agreed on a very pale taupe with a very slight pale green undertone. What with eye glasses ready this week and the basement stairs almost done I'm getting excited! Then to tackle the basement itself this winter. No big deal, I can close the downstair door to shut out the mess! Other than that MJ went home with a plastic bag full of tomatoes and my repotted geraniums are inside looking rather sad. Cross fingers!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    c0e42pxsypj5.jpeg
  • JillyBurg7
    THANK YOU LIN !!!!!! Anne.
  • linder4866
    i saw several more drawings which were so lovely.

a4yqiofuamik.jpeg

2pa4estjy524.jpeg

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Happy Monday! :) Love all the drawings!! <3 Today is the first anniversary of my brother's death. I can't believe it has been a year already. I of course, still miss him and always will. :'(
    I had fun with the kiddos yesterday, we had a dance party in the basement with strobe lights and everything. I was only there for about 3 hours so came home and made dinner. They asked me to sit tonight for volleyball and I agreed but it might be cancelled do to rain, so we will see. Tomorrow is my regular Tuesday sitting day and Wednesday is our 31st. wedding anniversary if you count the ten years we were separated. Of course we were together 13years before we got married so a total of 44 years.
    If Babe is up to it we will go for lunch as Bryanna is coming to color and cut my hair Wednesday night.
    I am having dinner with friends on Thursday.
    I ordered some new pillows so will be picking them up today, I just can't get comfortable when sleeping so I am hoping new pillows will help. I would really like that 360 bed that conforms to your body but it is so expensive.
    I going to put together a grocery list for a delivery either today or tomorrow as I am almost out of dinners. Also have to order a sandwich platter for our guests on Sunday. Keeping it simple as I don't think they will stay more than a couple of hours.

Judy did say to tell everyone hello. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited September 2022
    Hello friends.

I placed a curbside pickup order at Target where I have some gift card credit. I was able to get the needed batteries, the replacement Swiffer (those do break eventually) and wet and dry refills. I just picked up my order. They are very efficient but the parking lot is dangerous. I was almost in two accidents trying to get out of there. Eeeeck!

I also have placed online orders from different stores for a replacement carbon monoxide detector and some spot spray carpet cleaner.

All of that ordering and not one grocery item. 😄😃😄

Sandy, more busy days for you. Glad you are having fun with the kids. Congratulations on your anniversary, however you want to count it. You’re together now. ❤️❤️

Anne, happy days, so much progress being made on your house! Glad no skunks were found. If the gent is lobbing things at critters how is it that MJ has seen things come over the fence? It seems chasing away critters is more a sunset or evening activity. Well, whatever, as long as you are safe! I hope you like the paint color!

Jackie, countdown to vacation. Wow! You must be excited. 👍🏻😁👍🏻

Patsy, I hope you have a good day. My friend in Portland was in touch today and didn’t mention the smoke. I guess she had other things on her mind.

Look what lined the rural roads on the trip to Edinburgh.

4alsmesnjd8r.jpeg

bg21rq1mrhvr.jpeg

Be safe my friends.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

rigu2ae79s9d.jpeg

• JillyBurg7
    Thats very true LIN unless the old gent thought Mary jo was a pesky critter amongst the tomatoes, lol.

Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Our hazy skies are still with us. It really isn’t too bad. It moderates the temps yet we still have light. A bit if sun wouldn’t be too bad either. We are in the 70s.

I am cautiously optimistic about the Ukrainian situation. Maybe this is taking a turn for the better…regarding this appalling war. Interesting news about a demand in Russia for Putin to resign. History says that our troubles are not really new. But it feels new to me. Peace would be such a wonderful balm on the hurts suffered recently worldwide.

All of the drawings and affectionate remembrances of Queen Elizabeth remind me of how important those respected and admired people are. Especially during difficult times, someone strong and positive calms our fears. I believe she did that and more. In my very small way, I feel the need to add a little commemorative children’s story.

Anne: somehow your sock-throwing neighbor sounds like he has a loose hinge…so to speak. When that happens, reason and reality are in very short supply. I still maintain that you need to keep an eye out for this poor gentleman. Mental illness rarely gets better all on it’s own. One normally needs assistance of some kind. Be wary, just in case! Any further news about your neighbors? Who? What? Where?

Lin: so heart tugging! Those graphics tell so much. Thanks for sharing.

Sandy: congratulations! It is especially kind and loving that you have actually saved Babe’s life. He was going downhill fast until he moved in with you. And you have kept your other activities as well. All my best wishes to you both. Life is hard enough as we age. It is tolerable and even wonderful to share golden years with dear friends and family, if possible.

Jackie: not sure where You are going on your holiday. Scotland? Wales? We will enjoy hearing about your trip. It is lovely to feel your sweet fur and feathered family are well cared for in your absence. Have a wonderful trip.
    Patsy☘️

• barbiecat
    <3 What wonderful drawings about the queen and the corgis. We pet lovers think about meeting our beloved pets over the rainbow Bridge