WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2022

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited September 2022
    Kim - I would consult him throughout, every step. We usually agree on colour schemes etc. and make a good team. I think I just assumed it was money that was stopping us getting the house finished. I'm expected to pay one third of the cost.
    Could you just chill one room, say the bedroom, in a heatwave, as a retreat. My DDIL has a portable ac unit for her boiling hot shed, where she works, which vents out of the window. She says it works quite well. They are available on Amazon. I have thought about getting one, but they are a bit pricey for me. I can get by with fans.

Had a nice chat to G this evening, before our lovely dinner of pork and cider stew. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    This is my brother's latest artwork. I love this one.

y1aiepztetrs.jpg

Karen - was your brother trained as an artist? Beautiful work!

Lanette
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Karen- you know me and my love of Great Blue Herons!! That is just beautiful!!!!
    Kim- my DD and DSIL just had mini splits put in.. and financed them and are getting a rebate.. there house was built in 1940 and has the old radiators and there furnace is as old as the house and on its last legs.. this will do the trick..they put them in each of the bedrooms one in the dining room and one in the mudroom and that will cover the whole house..
    Ya'll have spurred me,a little at a time going through boxes and organizing and getting rid of stuff..
    Luckily i did that in the bathroom and hall closet and it does make it so much easier..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited September 2022
    Well done Allie! Keep it up. Just a bit at a time. <3
    I need to tackle my bathroom small cupboard next. After I've finished the skirtings and picture rails and beneath and behind furniture downstairs. :o The oven door is getting there. I do a bit every day. Some people recommend using a razor! I'm finding the dishwasher tablet pretty effective. I must say, it's nice to be able to see what's cooking again. I want spotless glass. ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member

y1aiepztetrs.jpg

Karen - was your brother trained as an artist? Beautiful work!

Lanette

Yes, he received a BFA degree from University of Nebraska in 1977. But he's been drawing and painting since he was a toddler.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Today has been 5 yrs that our dear Gloria has been gone...

Five years! And I did not remember that her death coincided with 911.

She was a dear.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    Karen - So beautiful. Your brother is truly gifted.

Debbie - Love the Christmas ornaments. JanetR, who hasn't stepped into this thread for a long time now, and is sorely missed, made these over-the-top, gorgeous, beaded Christmas ornaments as well. Don't know if you were with us yet when she showed those pictures. So pleased to see all the beautiful things people make.

It's been a good day... Stayed around 70 degrees all morning, overcast, a lovely cool breeze blowing. Corey and I cut trees down, trimmed others back and in total, made a complete mess of it out there. I'll be dragging brush to the brush pile for a few hours in the morning. Still under a burn ban, so it will be a bit yet. It was just so nice to work for nearly two hours and not feel like I needed to lay down and recuperate. Indeed, I was able to change out the bed linens and vacuum the living room as well.

Like you, Heather, I'm learning to do what I can and then stop. I don't have to finish a task that is perfectly fine if I wait until tomorrow. It's a large step for me, that kind of self-realization.

Ack! I have to get my dang pills sorted for the week. That one I DO have to finish today. :smiley:

Later,
    Love
    Lisa

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    edited September 2022

y1aiepztetrs.jpg

great picture- \- I am enjoying seeing the egrets(a few different types) every day on my walk. A few are at the same spot each day.

not sure if I am walking with my friend this evening- most likely we will-
    I walked MIL's dog for half an hour this afternoon- cooler today but humidity is higher than we are used to.

Will be cleaning up the living room tonight. Have company coming and I have let things go beings dh has not been here much the last 3 months plus have the new kitten's pen in here which takes up a lot of room.
    My former brother in law is coming to town. His oldest brother lives here in town too but he wants to hang out with us(we're more laid back and fun than former brother in law and his wife, so Tracy says).
    I didn't know if he was coming to town- he came to the west coast to go to his class reunion in Reno and just decided he will come down and see his brother and us(wants to spend more time with us and not his brother). He will be in town,staying at his brother and sister in laws beings they have an extra room for him(his own floor) but will be hanging out with us. Mostly dh- this is a great distraction for him, time away from his mother. They both like to eat so dh has already planned at least a few things- I will be included when I can.
    It is great that I am still close with all of my former inlaws as well as former hubby and dh gets along with the ones he has met.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited September 2022
    Our bedroom. New scatter cushion covers. :p
    x4oj503vib4u.jpg

Next door guest bedroom where I go early morning to read this thread. :D New scatter cushion covers. :D
    li7lbh4qatpz.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

Nice colours! :heart:
  • Machka9
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals;

Beth – thinking of you.
    Fire danger areas – thinking of you! Please start packing if needed – you can always unpack if you don’t have to evacuate.

Pip – great job on the ride, the fund raising – and hang in on the meds issues

Carla – fingers crossed for you. I have been fired for lessor things, one of the reasons I like being my own boss.

Ginny – I’m with you I love to give gifts and find it hard when asked not too but I do honor others wishes, or just give the item for no reason at a random time.

Money spent on housing upkeep…. I am still willing and able to do a lot as DYI projects which can stretch a budget, but 10 days between 100 and 111 F (37.8-43.9 C) just brought me to my knees. My home is older, 1961, and while now has good ceiling insulation, double or triple paned windows; the walls and floor are not insulated, and it doesn’t have air conditioning. So I made it with ceiling fans and regular fans, pulling whatever cool air there was at night and closing down during the day, 3 of the days it was above 90 F (32 C) in the house by noon or 1 pm – there are cooling stations and other options for me, but nothing for my dog. So we took a few drives with the air conditioning on in the car; laid on the tile floor in the bathroom and wet ourselves down.
    There is a list of things stopping me from getting air conditioning, as this home would need the electrical system upgraded, a pad poured for a HVAC system, and duct work put in then the system itself and because the home has not had that before after it was installed there would be paint and stucco work inside and out to have it look finished. A rough guess in cost right now in CA is $60,000 usd…. A huge boat load of cash. But I was whining a bit to my DNephew and he reminded me of a home he rented for a short time that had a duct less system and I have googled it and while there is much more to investigate and to determine what parts of the install I could do myself there may be an answer for under $15,000 Still a boat load of cash but a much smaller boat… I think I could write some off on my taxes and I am sure get more for my home when I sell. I feel like it is worth looking into.

Heather – Max looks so grown up in his uniforms. I have to agree with DH if my spouse won the lottery and wanted to redo our home top to bottom, I would want to be considered and consulted. Granted I don’t have a spouse so don’t really know enough to comment.

Happy cooler days in N. California
    Kim

My parents got one that sits in the corner of their living/dining room. The duct part goes out a window, I think, but otherwise it's just plugged into the wall socket. I don't imagine it was more than $1000 and although it doesn't cool the back of the house much, the front stays nice and cool.

I see they sell them here too ... this one is $350 (AU):
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/products/lighting-electrical/air-conditioning-fans-heaters/air-conditioners/portable-air-conditioners
    fi5qslni3pll.png

If you could even get one or two rooms cool, it would be an improvement.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Weided my duster in the bedroom. :p Then I decided to tackle one of my drawers. Managed to throw away lots of old makeup and nail varnish that must be 10 years old. Or older. :o Made more sense of my costume jewellery. Found a whole lot of euros, about a hundred pounds worth, that will buy us a seafood lunch in Sète.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I did that when I cleaned out the bathroom about a year ago. Threw out all sorts of toiletries and organised the cupboards in the bathroom so that I can find stuff and so that it was easier to get ready for work in the morning.

I did, however, keep the nail polish because I've been using it for little art projects. :)

Carol, that might be a good way for you to start ... get rid of your personal stuff. Your toiletries. Your husband won't likely be able to find a use for that stuff.

1948CWB wrote: »
    For some crazy reason (maybe because Heather was dusting and cleaning) I decided to go through a book shelf full of various clutter and the top half of a hutch cabinet. Filled two garbage bags with the stuff. Then, DH came along and decided he had to go through the garbage bags and take out what he thought we should keep. Will probably not let me get rid of anything.

Carol in GA

Machka in Oz

this is one of the craft projects I use nail polish for-I also embellish glass Christmas ornaments- Using nail polish, nail tape and rhinestones -these were printed on a 3D printer then painted.

qsnal6pwohhf.png
    1eckqd1n36yd.png

want to get back into crafting again. Made all those to sell at the craft fairs then they all got shut down. Gave a lot as gifts but still have more left, especially the little ornaments

Debbie

Nice!

I get the pressed board shapes from a craft stores (department stores and dollar-type stores also sell them). Last Christmas, I got a whole bunch of stars that are about coaster size and painted them up with nail polish and some paint as well.

My mother changes her costume jewellery with nail polish much like you've done with the ornaments.

M in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Well ,like you said a little at a time so Im taking it in 5- 10 -15 minute increments and,i cleaned out a couple of boxes,cleaned up my medical box and consolidated some,had some electronics that I boxed up and put in the hall closet.
    So shelf by shelf.drawer by drawer.. ill get it done..
    And if need be ,if I hear of someone in need of furniture, that is getting out of an abuse situation or had a fire . I will donate my sofa,my wingback bed frame and my LED queen headboard to them because they are taking up space here and i havent been able to sell them..