Cheese Admiration and Celebration

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    @MelodiousMermaid, thank you for reporting back, especially with photo illustrations. Yummy!

Frankly, just that strawberry rhubarb fruit spread sounds good, let alone complemented by the rich cheese and toasted bread. Can't go wrong with garlic/herb/cheese, either. (I was torn between clicking "like" in appreciation of the photo report, and "inspiring" based on the yum.)

I've been thinking back to the discussion earlier in this thread about smoked cheeses with tart/sweet jelly/jam/syrup kinds of things, and also about how good some pomegranate molasses was on vanilla ice cream the other night.

It may be time for some more cheese+sweet/tart experiments at my house, too. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    ...I might have a bit of a cheese problem lol.
    rcla39tbzxic.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    @MelodiousMermaid, if I were nearby, I'd be willing to share your problem, so it's less burdensome, y'know? 😉😋

Gotta admit, though - my cheese drawer is pretty full, too. (Yes, I have a cheese drawer in my fridge.)
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    I would be willing to help with this problem! I must admit, my cheese drawer is not up to my size standards so I also have a cheese shelf. In my next, richer life I will have a cheese fridge and a cheese room.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Tried the cremont last Thursday and the fontina today. I couldn't bring myself to like the cremont. Maybe it was because it is partially goat's milk? Not sure, but oh well... never know unless you try.

The fontina cheese was a win today. Since I read that it is most often served melted/combined with other ingredients, I decided to go for the same sourdough combinations I'd used for the camembert a few weeks ago. This was very much successful. I think I like the fontina more than the camembert, but they're pretty close either way!

Another cheese I tried today was Beehive red butte hatch. It was a very tasty cheese to have on its own.

Anyone else tried something tasty lately?
  • AnnPT77
    Tried the cremont last Thursday and the fontina today. I couldn't bring myself to like the cremont. Maybe it was because it is partially goat's milk? Not sure, but oh well... never know unless you try. \

Did it taste "goat-y" to you, in a way you don't like? Or was there something else about it?
    The fontina cheese was a win today. Since I read that it is most often served melted/combined with other ingredients, I decided to go for the same sourdough combinations I'd used for the camembert a few weeks ago. This was very much successful. I think I like the fontina more than the camembert, but they're pretty close either way!

Another cheese I tried today was Beehive red butte hatch. It was a very tasty cheese to have on its own.

Anyone else tried something tasty lately?

I'm mostly hanging out with old favorites, such as the idiosyncratic goat feta from a local farmstead outfit, the same guys' sort-of-like aged goat tomme (it's full fat, which I gather makes it not legit tomme? I don't care), plus I just bought a small piece of Cypress Grove Midnight Moon today that I haven't opened yet.

I did get a small piece of truffle gouda (I forget whose) the other day, and ate half of it. I'm not really a truffle gouda fan based on past samples, but one of my friends was all gaga over truffle gouda recently so I got some for a retry. I'd still prefer plain gouda, with the long-aged ones particularly desirable to my tastes.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    I picked up a few hunks of delicious cheese today while doing my shopping. I decided that I shouldn't bring any of them home this time as I'm at the top of maintenance range, and cheese would help me stay there.... I picked up some Champignon, put it back. Picked up Cambazola. Put it back too. Picked up a tiny, tiny piece of Humboldt Fog. The price tag made me put that one back. Looked at a few kinds of brie and didn't even pick any up. Thought about goat feta.

I bought ripe melons instead. There's some really delicious local ones right now.

Although I have some fresh basil and ripe tomatoes, so maybe I should get some real mozzarella and make a Caprese.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Tried the cremont last Thursday and the fontina today. I couldn't bring myself to like the cremont. Maybe it was because it is partially goat's milk? Not sure, but oh well... never know unless you try. \

Did it taste "goat-y" to you, in a way you don't like? Or was there something else about it?

I'm not sure what I would call goat-y, as this was my first foray into anything goat related. It was ...tangy, I suppose? Just a really strong twist to what I'd come to expect with the few fancy cheeses I've tried.

Truffled gouda, huh? I'd try that. Though I think I'd try it in some sort of baked/cooked format. I once made chicken breasts stuffed with a cooked spinach, garlic, and 18-month gouda mixture, then wrapped them in bacon before baking them in a closed dish. That was delicious.
  • AnnPT77
    Saturday night, and I'm hitting the cheese drawer hard. 😆

I'd forgotten how good Cypress Grove Midnight Moon is. It's an aged goat cheese, rich taste, pale color, mostly very smooth but with a bit of those protein crystals that some aged cheese get (pleasant). I bought just a little chunk. That's probably a good thing, because even though I can usually moderate cheese . . . 😋.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited September 2022
    gp6asu59p6go.png
    I like the individual servings, but they're so hard to find. The store usually orders them for holidays. I buy as many as I can and dole them out. I don't have any, but these will have to do.
    76s5kx0npck2.png

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Why is it called Midnight Moon?
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2022
    joans1976 wrote: »
    Why is it called Midnight Moon?

I have no idea, honestly. Maybe the pale color? Cypress Grove tends to name their cheeses: Humboldt Fog, Lamb Chopper, Psychedillic, Ms. Natural, . . . .
  • Nicoles0305
    Nicoles0305 Posts: 313 Member
    xgomgs4ntoib.jpg
    Any recommendations on how to enjoy this best? Open to snacks/meals... wherever it would best be experienced.

With really special cheeses - I'd guess this will be one - I just like to eat it plain, in relatively small pieces, savoring every bit. This may be a minority approach, though!

Report back on what you think of it, if you're willing?

So I went to try this on its own for snack yesterday... but found that it's overripe. No mold, but softer than cream cheese (gooey/sauce-ish when trying to cut into it). So I revamped the plan and heated it up on broccoli for supper. It turned out pretty decent, but it leaves me wondering what the flavor of a properly ripe wedge would be. Fairly disappointing regarding the snack, but at least it was salvageable.

Will be having a chat with the cheese island people about selling overripe cheese. I don't think it serves their purpose in trying to get people to buy more and varied kinds of cheeses. Or perhaps it might in my case, as it piqued my curiosity, but I'm somewhat annoyed to have paid money for the cheese.

I won't argue with your conclusion, because you tasted the cheese and I didn't, but one of the most transportational cheeses I've had was a locally-made farmstead Camembert style (so sort of Brie adjacent) that was ripe to the point of flowing out of its rind when cut. The flavor was utterly amazing. I can't describe it, but rich and luxurious.

I admit, that was hard to eat in slices (🤣), but a spoon would've worked. In practice, I spread it on the most neutral-tasting crackers or bread I had in the house at the time.

There's a tendency of some cheeses in this general style to develop a slight ammonia tinge to the aroma that's off-putting (wasn't true of the cheese described in my first paragraph, but of a later one). The cheesemaker suggested to me that letting such a cheese sit in the air at room temperature would allow that to dissipate, not interfere with the flavor. Was he giving me a sales job? Dunno. Haven't had an example to try this with, since.

He wasn’t just giving you a sales job. This is standard practice in cheese making, as I’ve learned. I’ve had a few lovely cheeses ripen with a slight ammonia odor, and typically airing them out clears it right up. I’ve had to throw one away though, because no matter how long I aired it out, the ammonia odor wouldn’t dissipate and I could taste it. Yuck.

I made a couple of cheeses over the summer while MIA from this thread- a Manchego and a white stilton. They were both “teacher” cheeses, as they taught me some lessons even though neither made it to the eating and enjoying stage. I learned summer brings flies, and flies love cheese. I was not aiming to make a casu martzu out of either one, so the sight of maggots meant the bin for them. Now that cooler temps are here, I’ll try again. I’m planning to make some cheeses for Christmas gifts, so they need started ASAP to make sure they get proper aging time. First up, a farmhouse cheddar this week!
  • Nicoles0305
    Nicoles0305 Posts: 313 Member
    rcla39tbzxic.jpg

Hey, quit raiding my fridge! 😂

I have no less than 10 cheeses in my fridge right now. In my defense- a cheese tray makes a nice keto friendly lunch.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    rcla39tbzxic.jpg

Hey, quit raiding my fridge! 😂

I have no less than 10 cheeses in my fridge right now. In my defense- a cheese tray makes a nice keto friendly lunch.

I think I'm sitting at about 12... It's just so good.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Today's grocery store run netted some tasty results

gxh90bbsb689.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    In a weak moment, I bought some cheese today I'd never heard of. Red Leicester. So far I've been able to keep my paws off of it, but we'll see how long THAT lasts.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    In a weak moment, I bought some cheese today I'd never heard of. Red Leicester. So far I've been able to keep my paws off of it, but we'll see how long THAT lasts.

Red Leicester is a fairly mild cheddar like cheese from the UK. I’d be surprised if it sets your world alight when you do get around to trying it. 🤷‍♀️

I don’t buy it often - it’s best use is providing colour to a béchamel based cheese sauce when colour is desirable. Mostly I’d use a mature cheddar plus a pinch of paprika if I was looking for depth of flavour plus colour.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    In appreciation of soft Goat's Cheese - specifically a Welsh Abergavenny - I had the first of the years Figs roasted with Goat’s Cheese, Thyme and a chilli infused honey tonight. Served in the centre of a big salad. This years addition was a bed of 50g (raw weight) of Pearled Spelt, as I’ve struggled with bumping the calorie count to be appropriate for this favourite dinner in previous years. Heaven on a plate!

nlrndppa8yv1.jpeg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I don't know if I posted this before, but there is this amazing licenced fromagerie in Melbourne called Milk the Cow. They do cheese and wine, it's their thing.

I left my job of 6 years a few months ago and my amazing EA, who knows me too well, was in charge of my going away gift. She got me a voucher for 2 people for a 4 course cheese degustation with matched wines AND another $135 in vouchers for cheese. SO MUCH CHEESE!!

Hubster and I were going to do the degustation tonight, but we've been sick and I'm just getting back on track, so we've pushed it off, but I can't wait. The vouchers I'm going to spend on their fondue kit - all the cheese for a fondue for 10 people plus a bottle of Reisling, and have a fondue night later in the year.