WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2022

Replies

• Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 432 Member
    Katla: I am so very sorry. Thinking about you and your family.

Lisa: I fell fall in the air in the morning in GA as well. Finally. I am looking forward to it.

Heather: I am so jealous you can walk to the various merchants near you. Great job on the oven door!

Michele: I always wanted to make yogurt.

Sue: I hope you get the okay on your ankle

Vickie: Congrats about the good news about your heart.

Thank you all for your support. Interview will be today and should go well. I did a little bit of a Get Fit With Rick video yesterday. I didn't leave the house, but plan to tomorrow!

Rosemarie from GA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    <3 Thanks to all of you. You are supportive and kind. Thank you. I am grateful.

I hope you are doing as well as possible and that your daughter is taking care of you.

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,344 Member
    edited September 2022
    On eating at night- Historically, there was a time of night when people would wake up and do chores, eat, have sex, etc. There was a name for it and it escapes me now. Maybe one of the other ladies will remember...
    KJ (Kelly)

It's called "second sleep," from a number of references in medieval sources that note it was part of life as they knew it. The rather unfortunate reference to the first sleep of the night was the "dead sleep." My own struggles with insomnia gave me time to research it, and the results were reassuring, on the whole. It's a good thing, because of late, it's been most nights for me. I can only seem to get more than two to three hours at a stretch if I'm using medication to assist, and even those lose their efficacy pretty quickly.

Came on to check on any further news from Katla. We are all with you, dear heart...

More later...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Sending love, prayers and hugs, Katla!

Off to work.

Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,185 Member
    edited September 2022
    I'm very much a minimalist and don't go in for curtains. A blind is what I will, go for. I've rarely had curtains in any houses, mostly not even blinds, apart from bedrooms. I'm still not sure if I will bother to replace the ones in the dining room. If it were not for the blinding light from the west in the summer, I wouldn't.
    I'm just hoping they can actually get the window panels out. :o Other companies I've called in haven't offered any hope! :'(
    I am of a mind to take down that horrible curtain rail right now. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

PS - I'm so loving having my watch back. I chose it because it is easy to see the time, even at a distance, and has a prominent second hand. When j was wearing DH's in the meantime, I had to really concentrate to see the time, and impossible in dim light.

egacwfulvvcu.jpg
  • Machka9
    Regarding grief ...

3l4vk73jrrxy.png

Very similar to life plans ...

20fs9aes9mgy.png

There is no "normal".

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    aimjolie wrote: »
    How does everyone deal with night eating? I have no problem trying to eat healthy and stay under the 1200-1300 calories limit to try and lose some weight. My problem is night eating. I get the munchies late at night around 11pm. I tried just going to bed but it’s difficult to sleep when you are a night owl and crave some junk to eat. I tried not to buy any junk food. If there is no junk to eat, I’ll grab a spoon and eat peanut butter out of the jar. I know this is a bad habit and it’s not good to eat late at night. I just find it difficult to get rid of this bad habit. Any suggestions?

:) My eating plan for each day includes an evening snack. I schedule my meals at intervals through the day so I'm eating regularly. My evening snack now is one serving of non fat plain yogurt.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    I'm very much a minimalist and don't go in for curtains. A blind is what I will, go for. I've rarely had curtains in any houses, mostly not even blinds, apart from bedrooms. I'm still not sure if I will bother to replace the ones in the dining room. If it were not for the blinding light from the west in the summer, I wouldn't.
    I'm just hoping they can actually get the window panels out. :o Other companies I've called in haven't offered any hope! :'(
    I am of a mind to take down that horrible curtain rail right now. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I like that curtain rod. I'd have something like that over all my windows if I could. :)

But it would probably take you less than 5 minutes to take it down. Lift the rod off and unscrew the brackets.

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,185 Member
    edited September 2022
    Curtain rail down and posted on Freecycle! :D:D:D

When I said I was going to do it, of course DH said he would. :p

Rosemarie - That was why we bought where we did and a large motivation for moving in the first place. We used to live in the countryside, 3 miles from the nearest shop. We found this area, fell in love with it, and two nearby houses fell through before we landed on this one. It took us 2 years to get this house and a lot of suspense and stress. Nail-biting stuff. But it was sooooo worth it. :D

Picking up Bea this afternoon. Weather miserable.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx [/b]
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,293 Member
    Heather ~ I like your unadorned windows! Sunlight is very important to me. But must say, DH is adamant about having blinds closed especially at night. My bedroom gets lots of beautiful sunlight early in the day, so I do enjoy that.

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    A friend of mine also has trouble cleaning out and letting go like me. We are trying to encourage each other and keep each other accountalbe. When we speak or see each other we disscuss what progress we have made. We both have inherited stuff that is hard to go through and part with. My mantra is once it is gone and found a new home be it trash or donation then I no longer have to deal with it. We are also encouraging each other to be mindful about the purchases we do make.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,344 Member
    Carol - I'm addicted to a light, bright house environment as well, it's one of the reasons I love this place. Your husband may see it as a privacy or safety thing at night, to have shades pulled down, but I realized this summer that we're going to need window covers of some kind due to the temperature swings and costs.

In summer mornings, my kitchen can become nearly unbearable just because of the direct sunlight. It's beautiful but nearly unusable without overstressing the air conditioner. In the winter, it's a good thing, because we can use the heat. In fact, I need to get some window covers that adjust easily for a number of rooms.

Because I purely despise curtains, I put privacy window clings on all the bottom panes of the windows in the bedroom and bath, so they get all the light but are still private. I'm also not fond of mini-blinds or others that have individual slats, and it's possible roman shades may be in our future. In fact, I think I'm going to drag my lazy behind into town this morning and walk through Bed Bath and Beyond and see what they've got. All Wally World has is the paper cellular shades that stick to the inside of the window and use clothespins to keep them open. A little tacky even for a temporary solution.

Heaving a big sigh, unfortunately, I also need to look at sheets - in the last two weeks, I put an elbow through one fitted sheet, and Corey put his foot through another. They were probably a dozen years old, so they had their run, but it leaves me with only one usable queen sheet set for our bedroom.

Off we go, onward and upward ladies,

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas...
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,778 Member
    Heather--Your oven door looks great. I need to do that to mine. I just don't cook a lot and so it is easy to not pay attention to. I hope they can fix the windows for you and a decent price. In the last year we have replaced all the windows in our house. We did it a couple at a time and the last ones took almost 6 months because of Covid and the price went up everytime. But it is done.
    Fovourite sound in nature; I love listening to the rain, Thunderstorms. Ocean waves.
    Have monthly managment meeting this afternoon, so that will take most the afternoon. I did stop at the gym on the way out of work yesterday and plan to today. It is easier when DH brings me to work and picks me up as he works just enough longer that I can go and be done before he gets off.
    Katla--sending prayers and hugs.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,317 Member
    Kelly, Another name for second sleep is biphasic sleep. Many people have this sleep pattern, even in modern times. Me, for one. If I don't get that second sleep I'm a zombie. I am currently quite sleep-deprived because I wake up and start thinking about everything there is to do, and decide to get up and get going. I have a feeling tonight will be a catch-up night for me because I'm "plumb knackered".

Karen in Virginia

Karen & Lisa - Thank you :D Yes. This is me. 5 to 6 hours a night, hopefully peaceful, then 1/2 hr nap later in the morning or between 12 and 1 unless I have a ton of energy.

I'd been beating myself up for not getting the recommended 7 to 8 hours at a time every night.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,793 Member
    👽❤️🌵
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Hi Gals;

Carol – I remember you have kids – instead of hanging on to those handbags, could you give them to a one of the kids or grandkids, and teach them how to sell on ebay (I would have no idea how to do that) and then split the profits with them? You would get rid of some items, free up some space and help the children learn a new skill and make a bit of cash. This might even be a way to eventually hook hubby into cleaning out if he was helping one of the kids or grands. It seems to me that this younger generation needs a good education, a career AND a side hustle you could be the side hustle… LOL

Lisa and Carol - I do have window coverings but ones that open beyond the window (right and left) for all the light possible, but with the new heat “normal” I am considering outdoor bamboo shades to hang from under the eves of the house, so they would block the sun at the window but allow light to come around. And then could be rolled up completely out of view under the eves.

6jldq74njc3u.png

Kim in cooler N. California