Motivation for walking more

M4r3z
M4r3z Posts: 20 Member
I posted in getting started b/c I have been trying to do daily walks. I wish there was a MFP walking group in my area, but I’ll take the next best thing and looking for some support and encouraging people to join me in my weight loss and fitness journey. Please feel free to send me a friend request and together we can walk, jog, swim, lift etc. our way to better health and fitness! Join me and my next summer we can walk around without our shirts with confidence.

Replies

• 1017Rebecca
    1017Rebecca Posts: 5 Member
    Total encouragement at you!!! Hoping for 3 workouts this week and at least a daily dog walk!! What’s your goal??
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,970 Member
    Have you checked out possible groups/threads in the Challenges area?

There are different ones, general things where you set your own goal, or for hours of exercise, plus some that are more specific to activities including walking, such as:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10872856/september-2022-walk-jog-run-bike-steps-miles-challenge#latest
  • z6jv4rrmdy
    z6jv4rrmdy Posts: 18 Member
    I sent you a friend request! I walk daily and definitely will help support you and your goals
  • Greytdaze
    Greytdaze Posts: 3 Member
    What motivates me to walk is using my Fitbit to count my steps and music downloaded from Podrunner to keep me at a consistent pace.

Previously, I would find walking boring and tedious but the music really helps.

What also helps is that I live a couple blocks from a rail trail so i have a nice place to walk..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited September 2022
    I need to get my motivation up to walk more on work from home days. In the office days aren';t a problem, I love to walk on my lunchbreak and am lucky to be driectly across from some gorgeous parklands. On WFH days I walk the dog, but he's lazy and likes to sniff (and I like to let him) so it's hardly a walk, more like an amble. But then he gets *SUPER SAD* if I put my runners on and got for another walk without him, and I feel guilty, so I end up not doing it - isn't that dumb?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited September 2022
    You could look at buying a Garmin watch. Doesn't need to be an expensive one. You can earn badges if you walk a certain number of steps, miles walked, other workouts, and you can also work on a step goal that gets autoadjusted every month based on previous month. There's one badge you get when doing 20 at least 20 minute acitivities per month. Maybe that motivates you.

Or try to find something you'd like to do during walking. Start photo projects, maybe some kind of 20 minute from home blog, visit museums, set yourself a goal to visit all communities or whatever small subdivisions on foot you have in your country/state/whatever. Train for a hike up a mountain in your area. Go geocaching. So much you can do to keep yourself motivated.
  • bbandme
    bbandme Posts: 90 Member
    I did virtual challenges as motivation - so I walked the equivalent of Lands End to John OGroats and I walked 2021 miles in 2021 (almost coast to coast in America). I found a map of each route and plotted where I was at, so even though I just walked locally I plotted the mileage from Lands End until I “arrived” in John OGroats. It kept me focussed on a weekly basis x
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    I walk the dog, but he's lazy and likes to sniff (and I like to let him) so it's hardly a walk, more like an amble. But then he gets *SUPER SAD* if I put my runners on and got for another walk without him, and I feel guilty, so I end up not doing it - isn't that dumb?

Amen. This is my life in a nutshell.

I tell Bean,”I could put the cat on a leash and go faster than this.” but it doesn’t motivate him to do anything except look happy and sniff even more.

And yet, moments later, he’s ready for another walk and lays a complete guilt trip if it doesn’t include him.

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Apple Watch user here. I really like being able to see the numbers, make goals, and see myself hit those goals. I have a small ladies walking group that meets every other Wednesday night at 8:30pm, and I run/walk in the mornings 2-3 days per week, sometimes by myself, sometimes with one of my sisters. It definitely helps to have someone to be accountable to.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Good luck to you.

You can start trying to park farther away from wherever you are going (grocery store, big box store, restaurant, etc.) so that you get more steps in in general.

Also, while there may not be a MFP specific walking group or something near you - you can look and see if there is a local running/walking group to you and join up. Even if something is called a 'running' group...sometimes they also have many members who walk as well.