Protein shakes and nausea

Do you guys have any recommendations on protein shakes? I’ve tried several different brands and they all make my stomach very upset. I’ve tried drinking in different portions, drinking at different times of the day, bit by bit but it always makes me sick. I’ve noticed great improvement with adding protein shakes to my diet (because realistically I struggle with eating enough and not a meat eater and struggle with certain textures of foods) I don’t want to give it up and lose the progress I’ve made but I’m so tired of being sick. I’ve tried GHOST protein, optimum nutrition gold standard, body fortress, GNC whey protein, GNC sustained protein blend, and iso1000 by dymatize. Any tips? I think I just have a sensitive stomach. It just causes a lot of stomach pain and nausea.

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2022
    Have you tried plant based yet? I believe GHOST makes a vegan one but they also make a whey one. It could be the whey. Also, protein powders have a lot of fillers. Many have Xanthan Gum, which makes me sick. I avoid Xanthan Gum.

Try some SunWarrior -- it's plant based, they limit the fillers in it and it's either Paleo or from fermented grains (easier on your stomach and digestion). And all of SunWarriors are Vegan. Don't do any Vegan, cause some of them are loaded with Xanthan Gum (Vega is one that comes to mind -- makes me very sick). SunWarrior has Guar Gum, but that doesn't make me sick (and it doesn't most people). It is a thickener but not nearly as bad as Xanthan Gum.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    You might also find the sugar alcohols are what’s upsetting you, try to find an unflavoured powder if you can and experiment with that. I’ve heard some people can tolerate pea protein better than whey, and I went through a few brands before I found one I can digest easily. Same with protein bars.
  • Rickimariefit
    Rickimariefit Posts: 64 Member
    Have you tried plant based yet? I believe GHOST makes a vegan one but they also make a whey one. It could be the whey. Also, protein powders have a lot of fillers. Many have Xanthan Gum, which makes me sick. I avoid Xanthan Gum.

Try some SunWarrior -- it's plant based, they limit the fillers in it and it's either Paleo or from fermented grains (easier on your stomach and digestion). And all of SunWarriors are Vegan. Don't do any Vegan, cause some of them are loaded with Xanthan Gum (Vega is one that comes to mind -- makes me very sick). SunWarrior has Guar Gum, but that doesn't make me sick (and it doesn't most people). It is a thickener but not nearly as bad as Xanthan Gum.
    I haven’t tried a plant based one! That was gonna be my next attempt. I think GHOST does too. I’m not too much of a fan of GHOST because they make most of their protein chunky. Like chunks of cookie and I couldn’t do it. The texture messed me up! It also hurt my belly but I mainly couldn’t get past the chunks!
  • Rickimariefit
    You might also find the sugar alcohols are what’s upsetting you, try to find an unflavoured powder if you can and experiment with that. I’ve heard some people can tolerate pea protein better than whey, and I went through a few brands before I found one I can digest easily. Same with protein bars.

Thank you so much! I’ve been battling everyday feeling completely terrible because I just assumed this is how protein was gonna make me feel because I had tried so many brands and have spent the last month or so feeling like complete garbage. I’m like something has to give. There’s no way people normally feel like this after drinking this. I’m very glad I looked into it instead of just assuming it was normal side effects.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    Have you tried adding protein powder to food instead of a shake? I have been nauseous from protein shakes, but I feel fine when adding protein powder to oatmeal and yogurt.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Ditto @MikePfirrman's suggestion to look into plant-based options. I have a dairy sensitivity to begin with, and really have trouble with whey-based products.

I like hemp-based protein powders-- I've tried Nutiva, SunWarrior, and HempYeah!--which are all fine (I don't really have a favorite.)

I've also determined that I prefer savory protein drinks over sweet ones. So I make my own using Bob's Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder and then veggies like like spinach, butternut squash, cucumber, beet root, carrot, & tomato with Bob's Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder. A little curry and cayenne powder or a shake or two of soy sauce and I'm good to go. It's more of a cool soup experience (think gazpacho!) than a "shake" experience but it works for me :-)
  • Rickimariefit
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Have you tried adding protein powder to food instead of a shake? I have been nauseous from protein shakes, but I feel fine when adding protein powder to oatmeal and yogurt.

I haven’t! Maybe I should try that! I never have because I never really know what to put it in because I never really eat any sweets. I’m more of a veggie/pasta type of person. I’m unfortunately very picky. Not that I want to be I just have certain safe foods and I can’t do certain textures. It’s more of a sensory thing!
  • Rickimariefit
    Ditto @MikePfirrman's suggestion to look into plant-based options. I have a dairy sensitivity to begin with, and really have trouble with whey-based products.

I like hemp-based protein powders-- I've tried Nutiva, SunWarrior, and HempYeah!--which are all fine (I don't really have a favorite.)

I've also determined that I prefer savory protein drinks over sweet ones. So I make my own using Bob's Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder and then veggies like like spinach, butternut squash, cucumber, beet root, carrot, & tomato with Bob's Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder. A little curry and cayenne powder or a shake or two of soy sauce and I'm good to go. It's more of a cool soup experience (think gazpacho!) than a "shake" experience but it works for me :-)

Hmmm never heard of a savory one! That’s new wand interesting!! 🥳 I’ve never had gazpacho!
  • Lietchi

I haven’t! Maybe I should try that! I never have because I never really know what to put it in because I never really eat any sweets. I’m more of a veggie/pasta type of person. I’m unfortunately very picky. Not that I want to be I just have certain safe foods and I can’t do certain textures. It’s more of a sensory thing!

My breakfast for a long time was simply unflavored skyr with protein powder and fruit (usually blueberries) and occasionally some cacao nibs for a bitter chocolatey touch. But if course preferences are very personal 🙂
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    Is it mostly a texture thing? Or just a texture thing with some brands? When I use protein, I prefer the Syntrax Nectar line. They're more juice-y than milkshake-y. Kind of like protein kool-aid. It's a whey isolate, which I also think is better tolerated by some people.
  • Rickimariefit
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Is it mostly a texture thing? Or just a texture thing with some brands? When I use protein, I prefer the Syntrax Nectar line. They're more juice-y than milkshake-y. Kind of like protein kool-aid. It's a whey isolate, which I also think is better tolerated by some people.

I can’t do certain textures or they will make me sick and/or puke. But that’s not why I can’t do protein but it is why my diet is very limited.

Protein just upsets my belly a lot. There is some protein with textures I cannot stand such as GHOST protein with the cookie bits (Oreo, chocolate chip cookie). The chunks in the protein shake got me for those ones 🤢
  • Rickimariefit

My breakfast for a long time was simply unflavored skyr with protein powder and fruit (usually blueberries) and occasionally some cacao nibs for a bitter chocolatey touch. But if course preferences are very personal 🙂

Thank you! I’ll have to look into different recipes! Things like oatmeal I can’t do the texture 😮‍💨 I really wanna like oatmeal because it’s versatile and you can put so much into it but the texture 😭
  • Lietchi
    I'm not a huge fan of the texture of skyr, personally, but adding a bit of water to make it less dense is something I do occasionally, to make it more like regular yogurt texture.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Maybe it's whey that causes the problems? Lots of suggestions for non-dairy proteins above.

When I was put on a low FODMAP diet for a month I had to switch to a different protein and ended up with Gaspari Nutrition egg protein. It was decent but spendy. As I recall it was an unusually fine powder so probably won't trigger texture problems.

On that diet I discovered I have issues with stevia because it was a permitted sweetener so I was using a lot more products that contained it than I normally do, and got wicked stomach pains. As soon as I cut out all the stevia products I was fine.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Do you typically have any problems with dairy? If not then I'd recommend a high quality, unflavored, whey isolate.
  • iggy93
    iggy93 Posts: 90 Member
    I had the same problem of becoming nauseaious when taking a protein shake. I swapped to vegan protein and it's working better for my stomach. I recommend Vegasport. Hope this helps!
  • tigrig
    tigrig Posts: 658 Member
    I have that problem every now and then. The only way I've found to fix it is to have something solid with it. I usually have a oikos triple zero greek yogurt with my shake and it has stopped any nausea ive had
  • I used to have the same problem until I started having all my shakes with a meal or with a piece of bread or something. Now it's pretty much fine. You should try that if you haven't already.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Sensitivity to certain types, ingredients, & frequency of protein supplementation is not uncommon. I would first look on how frequent you are consuming the shakes and go from there. Most of my clients I advice to take two maximum a day.
  • Andy_does_stuff
    Andy_does_stuff Posts: 2 Member
    I take this one: SCI-MX Nutrition Pro V-Gain https://amzn.eu/d/449Hrao
    Ive got IBS so struggle with a lot.
    I add water instead of milk and have it room temperature.
    Also peel an apple and pair and chuck them in without skin.. again IBS
    Then I also throw in some peas, ginger avocado and crack n egg in there as well with some almond butter or peanut butter.