From 288 to 169 seeing the pic really helps me to keep going

Dianedoessmiles1
Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 11,732 Member
edited September 2022 in Success Stories
Pictures say more than words.

My Before in 2010 and my picture just taken today

4q26d33edvgv.png

How did I do this? Like many of us when you are morbidly obese I had so many problems with my body, and I still do though different ones. At this time I am in congestive heart failure, a foot bone infection and other things.

Yet, My goal for the end of 2022 I had set back in December 2021 to be 163 by the end of the year. I ONLY have 6 more LBS to get there!! I had started at 180! So I am thrilled to be on my goal and should make it.

But, HOW you ask? Let me tell you. I can not do this alone at all. I need support. Don’t we all? As I go through the feeds here on MFP I see so many that say “Wanted friends” because we need to be accepted for who we are, as we are, with the goals of being healthy.

My success has been in large part (LOL NO PUN intended?) Well yes the pun IS intended, because I’ve lost 119 LBS which is an entire person!! I have had support through all of this time from being a member of the 5% Challenge. We started on Sparkpeople which had closed last year. We searched so many sites to decide which site we wanted to use. MYFITNESSPAL is the one we choose!! It's the easiest one to use that still has both a food and exercise tracker (many members pay to have this service) . It took us a lot of work to bring the 5% Challenge over, we’ve had a year of being here. In that time we’ve adjusted some small changes to help us to understand MFP and now we reap the benefits of inviting you on myfitnesspal to join in with this very successful group!!

What is the 2022 Fall 5% Challenge? Here’s the official description: Join this supportive team and let's have fun as we lose 5% of our weight, make new friends and improve our health! Race to Fascinating Places for 8 Weeks. JOIN us to write your own success story!

Not everyone loses their 5% in the 8 weeks, some do, many lose something. ALL of us acquire new healthy habits!! Would you like to work on drinking water? Tracking your food? Maybe we’ll work on a better night's sleep (WOW is this personally helping me! I was getting 2 to 4 hours a night now I average 6 a few times I hit 8 hours of sleep! I feel like this is a dream!) DIFFERNT ONES Each season! Perhaps you wish to improve your exercise? Even if one is not able to walk or hardly walk, we know how to still how do this, and in your capabilities!! If you are a marathon runner, WOOHOO come and join us, and all in between these!! If you do not have 5% of your weight to lose, COME AND JOIN us!! We’ll love to have you there’s a category for you too!!

Here’s your personal invite to the 2022 Fall 5% Challenge so you can be writing your own story as we are!! During the Spring Challenge I had foot surgery in which I got an infection. I was in the hospital for a week, still during that I lost 4 lbs.!!

Just click on the link below.
ONCE YOU HIT “JOIN” Please read the:
💡💡Start Here Team Choice - You Must Choose a Team💡💡

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143596-2022-fall-5-challenge-community-team-plz-join-us

CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU!!

Please leave a comment

It makes me more encouraged. THANKS!!
Diane
Tagged:

Replies

• Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,468 Member
    Oh WOW... I didn't read this because I thought it was the Success Story you posted earlier! Glad I decided to check it out... just in case!
    You have done a remarkable job of staying dedicated and focused on being as fit and healthy as your body allows you to be. You are an inspiration to us all!!
    BTW @Everyone the TODAY picture does not do Diane justice... although looking simply fabulous, she is much smaller than what she appears in this picture!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    Amazing!!! It sounds like a wonderful challenge, too, might be just what I need...
  • AngWBald
    AngWBald Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2022
    "I had foot surgery in which I got an infection. I was in the hospital for a week, still during that I lost 4 lbs.!!"

Congratulations! On not gaining your weight back during a health emergency!

WOW You've lost a whole person! That's pretty impressive!

I thought I was going to be one of those people never to get COVID. I tested positive on 09/14 after feeling bad for 24 hours and a fever coming on. I made up my mind I was not going to gain my weight back by eating Sugar. Let's face it. Sugar is my comfort food when I'm feeling sick. I decided I may not lose any weight by not exercising, but I haven't come this far just to get this far. I'm going all the way this time!

I've actually lost 4 pounds!

How is my recovery? I was sick for 5 days, I isolated myself for 5 days after my fever went down, and I'm almost done wearing a mask in public for 5 days. I'm feeling better every day! Hardly any cough left in my chest. Honestly, this Covid is not as bad as the other Flu viruses I've had in the past. During past Flu I've had it so bad I was out on the couch for a week and the kitchen timer was my best friend. I made myself get up every hour by setting a timer to get water. That was the only strength I had. I believe that saved my life

I'm feeling stronger every day, and I'm back to doing light exercising till I feel stronger.

I never had a whole person to lose. My weight does go up and down as much as 20 to 30 pounds. At the most I've lost a quarter of a person. I'm 4 foot 11 inches tall. My highest weight was 196. I'm 148.6 today. According to my BMI my weight should be 123. I feel that weight goal is so far away. But I keep going. I can't gain all this weight back. Looking at my pictures I was a very ROUND person. I had no curves, just one big curve in the front! I looked like a had a beach ball under my shirt!
  • PoodleParent
    PoodleParent Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks Diane. Congrats of your great progress and you are still at it! You and the gang are wonderful. Hope to be able to join you.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Amazing!!! It sounds like a wonderful challenge, too, might be just what I need...

Come and join us!! We are just starting a practice week, which is a great time to join. We're happy to have you!

@AngWBald ,,, WOW So glad you are near the end of covid and mask wearing!! You've done AMAZING!!GREAT JOB on not resorting to sugary things while not well!! What a GREAT example!! Will you be joining us for the 2022 Fall 5% Challenge? With your spirit any team would LOVE to have you with us!! You've been there and can help so many others, as you also work on yourself. It's such a supportive , wonderful group of people.
    @Poodleparent,, Oh many members on the 5% are animal lovers!! LOVE your name!!! THANKS for the compliment ,, @Catwmncat is also a member on the team I am on with the 5% (Positively Strong 4 life we are full at this time, but the other 7 teams within the 5% have openings) its so much fun!! We'd LOVE to have you with us!! Please do join.
  • Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 72 Member
    BEAUTIFUL! Way to take action and charge of your health!
  • MaggieTor3
    MaggieTor3 Posts: 49 Member
    Congratulations, Diane, and thank you very much for sharing this good news! Keep it up!
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,141 Member
    You are such an inspiration to so many..proud of you and so glad to call you my friend!! Keep on keeping on Diane!! And yes post these stories they give so much encouragement to so many!!
  • Imnotstoppin
    Imnotstoppin Posts: 877 Member
    Nice to see your updated picture. You look great and keep up the good work!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    @Latrellis,,, Come and join us!! You'll be able to add onto your own success!! Its a great challenge. We love having new and returning members. It'll start on Saturday so you'll have time to look around.
    @Maggietor3 ,, Awww TY TY TY TY!! Come and join us! We all need support. The holidays are coming up, why should one gain? Nahhhh no need to, because we'll help you all to focus not so much on the food (but allowing some of the yummiest stuff in moderation) making it about the people you love.
    @Katiecondy1 ,, Oh Katie, PLEASE POST YOURS ALSO!!! Just click on the blue + sign in the lower right hand corner. Your writing style and all you've been through and STILL SUCCESS ALSO ,, WOW! Please include about the 5% in it too. You know my friend I am so happy we've met on the 5% years ago. For those reading this, many people you'll meet,, you'll become friends with for a very long time if that's your desire. Katie and I have "known" each other,, hmm 7 ,, 8 years? We've not met in person though we've talked on the phone, I LOVE her southern accent, mine is the North East one, ,, think Boston (I am in Maine).
    @Imnotstoppin ,,, HI TONI!! How are you? Yes I know Toni also from being on the 5% Challenge!! How are you Toni? THANKS!!! So much physically going on, so GLAD I've lost the weight I did!! One Dr recent told me if I hadn't I may of not made it, and if I had, I'd not be able to live alone. WE NEVER KNOW What will happen in life, but we are on control. GREAT TO SEE YOU Toni!! On the 5% Team there are 8 smaller teams that some love to compete, others not as much, it's always fun. Toni was on the same team as Katie and I. She was able to step up for a bit as a leader to help her team. TY TY TY Toni for that! I heard how PAWSOME you were!!!
  • Imnotstoppin
    Imnotstoppin Posts: 877 Member
    @Dianedoessmiles1 - wow, losing the weight saved your life and helped you stay independent. So awesome. I've joined a gym and work out with a group of women led by a Personal Trainer. Love it! Spending lots of time with grandkids and children and attending church. Thanks for asking. Keep up your enthusiasm. The 5%ers are great!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    We are open on the 2022 Fall 5% Challenge for new and returning members at all times. If you'd like a team please do hit the link above then after you hit JOIN Please post under the: 🟢Post Only Here for a Team Seat Request!🟢New members will be added throughout the challenge Here's the link to make that easier: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10872393/🟢post-only-here-for-a-team-seat-request-🟢new-members-will-be-added-throughout-the-challenge#latest

Come and write your very own story! IMAGINE as the holidays hit and they are very soon your being able to say "Oh I LOST X amount of weight this year." YOU CAN DO THIS!! WOW imagine the look on some of your loved ones faces of being proud (or surprised!) coworkers and friends!! LOVING THAT!! In the past in the fall I'd GAIN because if it was pumpkin flavored I ATE IT!! This year I'm going for a loss!! I WANT my end of the year goal and I WANT IT BAD!! Sounds familiar?
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Congratulations. Your loss is similar to mine. I started at around 127 kg and am now down to 69. I have no idea what my goal weight is, but it is rather obvious that I am not there yet. Probably around 10 kg to go, give or take a kg or two. What is most remarkable to me, is that I recently shaved off another 200 kcal of my daily intake because my weight loss had stalled and I am actually a bit less hungry than a few weeks ago, so there seems to be no doubt that I'll get to the end goal eventually, most likely some time in the first half of 2023.
    Keep up the good work. The more success stories there are, the more people will understand that weight loss is possible. For everybody.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    @BartBVanBockstaele ,, WOW I'd say they are very close!! CONGRATS on how AMAZING you are doing!! Come and join us on the 5% Challenge because members like you help others out so much!! Once you hit maintenance that's where the really hard work comes into play. I've done it a few times to see how I'd do when I do reach goal, I struggled the first time the 2nd time was easier. BUT I'll stay with the 5% until I know I am okay,,, that'll be awhile!!

We'd like to see you with us, once one hits JOIN they'll need to put up a post on the feed: 🟢Post Only Here for a Team Seat Request!🟢New members will be added throughout the challenge
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Thank you for the encouragement. I am not sure I should enter any challenge or any group really, because I am not a wise example to follow. In order to still lose weight (and I have to), I have had to reduce my calorie intake to a ridiculously low number and I do not want to give anyone any ideas they should not have in the first place. To make things worse, I have to combine this with long walks (just 10 mins shy of four hours today) and that is not sustainable, because I have to work for a living, and not forget to sleep every now and then.
    That said, I wish you a lot of success on your journey. Weight loss really is possible for everybody and it is very simple, just not very easy. All it takes is a tiny little bit of elementary knowledge, a larger bit (how big is a bit? ^_^) of self-discipline and a lot of time, depending on how far you have/want to go. You can do it, really.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    @BartBVanBockstaele ,, We all know our own bodies the best. Hopefully you are able to work with a Dr on the goals. I am a most HORRIBLE EATER,, if a freggie (FRuit/vEGGIE) touches my lips in my mind,, LOL I'll SIMPLY DIE!! Of course we know that's not true, but I am a very horrid eater!! But I am way better than I used to be. I've blocked my food tracker from anyone else seeing it (learned that a LONG TIME AGO ,, under settings). As for your exercise, with this challenge we can report up to 120 mins a day. I am so sorry that you have to do so much exercise. That'd be so hard. Have you worked with a nutritionist or a nurse on the balance? Is it something that may off within your body? If you prefer to use the mail on this that's fine. And if you prefer to not answer that's fine too. It really is. If you'd like to keep us in mind at some point we'd be happy to have you.

I'm going for a breathing test today,,, I HOPE they find an answer to why I am short of breath, but yet my heart isn't the cause (I'm in heart failure, but it's not enough to cause this) and my lung xrays are great, with 97 to 100% oxygen. Yet, going for a walk, and many times just sitting here, it's not as I was 2 years ago when I never thought about my breathing, I just did it.

WE CAN DO THIS!! TY TY TY TY for being here!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Thank you for your understanding and encouragement. My problem is that I have no problems sharing my experience and what I know works for me and might well work for other people, but I want to avoid encouraging or even suggesting potentially dangerous behaviour to people, because if the treatment is more dangerous than the condition it treats, it is not advisable. That said, this is not what I am doing, but it is paramount to play it as safe as possible. Despite claims to the contrary, being overweight is not a healthy situation and the appearance of health is a temporary one. That is not a secret, it is nothing new. We learned that in med school forty years ago and it was rock-solid long-established science even then. The message has changed somewhat in order to cater to people who do not want to hear the truth, but not liking what is true, does not change reality.

It is too bad that you don't like freggies. I happen to love them. I am currently avoiding fruit, because of the calories. A 2 kg bag of berries or mangos or apples... bring it on. Go to the washroom. The bag will be gone by the time you come back. They are trigger foods for me. I love them, but then, I love most everything. My doctor giggled when I said that. I usually giggle myself when I say it.

And yes, there is something off, unfortunately: I have a slow thyroid. All that does, is making it harder to lose weight. Not impossible as is still often claimed. You just have to go a bit/lot lower on the intake scale, and a bit/lot higher on the output scale. Going lower on the input scale is, in principle, easy to do: it means less work and less time to prepare food, less storage space needed, less money to spend, less time needed to work for that money, less work and time to eat it... what's there not to love, except for the hunger? And that, of course, happens to be the real problem. Ouch!

As for exercise, I loathe exercise. I see it as a total waste of time, even with an exercise bike just behind the desk chair at my desk. However, I found a good compromise by combining my observations in nature, with learning a new language and taking longer walks to compensate for the lower efficiency by combining them. So I get three positive actions in one go. Which is not too shabby. Of course, because it takes so much time, I do not do it all the time, only if and when I can. Yesterday, for example, 18,821 steps in 3h50m. I saw a group of deer along the walk, and listened to almost four hours of Japanese. All great. I may even have spent an extra 200 calories on that. Also great.

Success with your breathing test. I hope you can find a solution. I used to be very short of breath myself. It turned out there was nothing wrong with anything... except my weight. While I still have some way to go, the shortness of breath is essentially gone, except for situations where you would actually expect it to be there. Not saying this will be the case for you, but you never know. Maybe, perhaps, it could/may/might possibly potentially be that way.

Success!

• Dianedoessmiles1
    @BartBVanBockstaele ,, LOVE LOVE LOVE how you took something miserable for you and turned it around to ME TIME!! That's so cool!! WOW what a great way of taking something that is dreaded and turning it into a WOOHOO!! Now that's the fighting spirit you have showing so well!! You've done remarkable!! With my breathing, when I was heavier that certainly came into play. Many who are quite large and I certainly was, my lungs couldn't expand as they needed to. Once I hit around 195 suddenly I was able to do so much more as far as breathing, ,,, LOL everything else improved so much. Life was better than GREAT!! I even after decades returned to work. My weight was down to 163 when I first felt the shortness of breath. At work though it hit so hard I thought at first "FLU" but, it wasn't. It was diastolic heart failure. But the DHF isn't enough they say for me to be so short of breath. Hopefully the tests will help. Keep on doing so well!! Indeed you are AMAZING!! VERY much so. TY TY TY for sharing with us how you are doing, and how you've reached this fantastic point.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited October 2022
    It is not all feast, unfortunately. Because I am so slow, it takes me hours. Hours I most often do not have. That said, I had my longest walk today I had in years. My mobile says I did 21.2 km. I have serious doubts about that, but regardless, it was quite a bit. The steps are more accurate and it was 31,172. That said, it took me 05h14m not including preparing and unwinding and I am beyond pooped. Needless to say, I am really slow in comparison to what people usually call "exercise". Nevertheless, it should shave a few grams of my energy stores and it'll arguably/hopefully be less than bad for my general condition ^_^.
    I do not do strength training though. I find it boring beyond belief and very inconvenient because it does not allow me to do something else at the same time to take my mind of it.
    However, I certainly also have reasons to be happy. This morning, I found that I had lost exactly 1 kg in comparison to September 24, which means I lost precisely 100 g a day.
    Screening tools are not useful at an individual level, but since I am now below my normal weight according to the Broca index, and inching closer to my Broca ideal weight, I can't help but looking forward to get past it. After that, there is the BMI of 21, which is often used as an ideal-weight standard in Germany.
    My excessive walking is partly to thank for that. This will not be possible very often, but when it is, I'll take it. I have to learn to adapt to the changing temperatures though. Today was really unpleasant but I kept going regardless. One does not have much choice when one is in the woods ^_^. It took me half an hour or so to return to a comfortable state tonight.
    I hope your tests will lead to a solution. While it is not always the case, just knowing something can often be helpful and anyway, in my opinion, knowing is always better than not knowing. Ignorance is a condition to be corrected, not one to revel in.
    Keep up the good work. The results on your photos speak for themselves. It's as if you changed from a caterpillar into a butterfly. It is just great.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    You have also changed from a caterpillar to a butterfly!!! You've done remarkable!! Brrr on the temps, but yeah I live in Maine (US on the Atlantic Ocean, as far as you can be for a state, so it gets quite cold. Like many northern areas). We'll hit our goals because we are determined. I d wish it weren't do difficult for you as it is. I enjoy walking, it hurts my feet so badly, but I enjoy it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!