60 yrs and up

Replies

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited September 2022
    Hey all, so much quiet! Have a great weekend and check in anytime 😊
    How are all the newbies doing?

My food is slowly coming back under control and my vacation gain slowly leaving...which I am super grateful for.
    But still up about 5 lbs from vacation a month ago, and I leave in 2 weeks for Hawaii!! Which I am delighted to do, of course, but on the weight front is a little troubling. Would be nice to at least be back to my prior vacation starting point...1st world problems I realize 🙃

Keep on keeping on folks!
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    Hey all, so much quiet! Have a great weekend and check in anytime 😊
    How are all the newbies doing?

My food is slowly coming back under control and my vacation gain slowly leaving...which I am super grateful for.
    But still up about 5 lbs from vacation a month ago, and I leave in 2 weeks for Hawaii!! Which I am delighted to do, of course, but on the weight front is a little troubling. Would be nice to at least be back to my prior vacation starting point...1st world problems I realize 🙃

Keep on keeping on folks!

Enjoy your upcoming vacation. Hope to get back to Hawaii one day. What island you visiting?

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,179 Member
    We love Kauai and it is our normal go-to island, but this time we're doing it a bit differently as we are taking a repositioning cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver, BC and will visit Maui & Oahu from the ship, then stay an extra few days in Maui & renting a car to check it out properly before flying home.

Whereabouts in Hawaii do you like to go?
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    Happy Sunday! Cruise sounds really nice way to visit the islands. We like Kauai too. Poipu area. Maui is nice too, but really built up. Like the Kona area on the Big Island.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @BCLadybug888 Have fun in Hawaii. It's one of our favorite places to vacation as well and we're heading to the Big Island in mid October. The Cruise idea sounds wonderful! Please report back to us how you liked it.
  • Pdc654
    @alteredsteve175 Good to hear from you. The California trip sounds like a welcome change to your normal routine as well as your wife getting to spend time with her sister. Glad you've been able to get back to logging and exercise.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Great deer photo, @AnnPT77. Very rare to get that close. I usually just see the white tail flagging me from a distance. 😁
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    It's been a very busy and hectic summer for me. I think that after two years of relatively quiet COVID summers, once things opened up, I jumped in with both feet and ended up doing too much. We had a few days away in May and then again in August but the rest of the time its been go, go, go. For the most part I was doing things I wanted to do. And it was totally my own fault. But in retrospect, it was just too much. Lesson learned.

And so as the last day of summer approaches (tomorrow) it's time for a re-boot. When the weather cools (it's only 2C/35F this morning) I switch from salads to soups for my lunch. I have a small bag of beets that I'll make into borsht today and I have several containers of both cauliflower and broccoli soups in the freezer that I made over the summer. I had nearly 16,000 steps yesterday so that was a good start. My daily exercise goal is to walk the dogs plus something else. The "something else" is usually yoga, weights, paddling, or another walk with my girlfriends. Other things have interfered with the yoga and weights over the past couple of months but I'm back in the game now. Bring on Fall!!!!
  • ridiculous59
    edited September 2022
    Hello all. I’m struggling to negotiate the site. Couldnt find you all!
    I’m doing ok, despite a weekend away. Also contemplating a shift from salad to soup. I love making soup. I’ve been logging for 3 weeks and I have lost over 3 kilos, which is about 7 lbs. Got to be happy with that, although I can also see where I could have done better. starting to weigh food properly instead of guesstimating, and of course now I know what 1 oz of cheese looks like. Getting to understand that basing all meals around carbs has led me to 230lbs. Even the little I’ve lost has helped me feel better, I had awful rashes under my belly and breasts and that’s gone. I don’t know if this is the same for others, but I have remembered that failure at lifestyle change isn’t about getting so hungry I go and bust my gut in Macdonalds, it’s about letting little bad habits creep back in, like the biscuits with my tea or the late night toast. I am enjoying eating more mindfully. And I’m really happy that my darling husband who does a lot of the shopping and cooking has taken m my need to lose weight on board.

There's a thing that looks like a little ribbon on the top right corner of threads (conversations). If you touch or click on that it will turn blue. Now the conversation is "bookmarked" so at a later time you can look at your "Quick Links", and then "My Bookmarks". The conversation should be in there. I use MFP on my phone most of the time and my Quick Links are at the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure where they are if you use a computer, but they'll be on your screen somewhere. Hope that helps 🙂

Congrats on losing 3 kg! I was 232 pounds when I started on here so I hear you. Especially the part about basing meals on carbs. And those little bad habits can undermine all the good work a person has done in a day. See? You're figuring it out. Good job!
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    Thanks ridiculous, I love your name. Can I be personal and ask what you weigh now? I’ve just looked at my weight tracker and it’s a depressing series of sharp ups and downs, with a long rise in the middle whenI didn't track for a year. I started to say to myself that my body obviously sets to this weight and then stopped. There is no rule that I have to spend the rest of my life in the obese category. I am going to reset myself . First goal is under 200, also under 15 stone and less than 90 kgs!
    I went to a Scrabble tournament yesterday, and ate some millionaires shortbread. I don’t even like it! But I won’t eat something again just because it’s there. I was hungry though, and I had no healthy food with me. Lesson learned.I also had a small piece of cake, but I love that!
    Grand daughters birthday party today, so I’ll see if I negotiate better.
  • ridiculous59
    Thanks ridiculous, I love your name. Can I be personal and ask what you weigh now? I’ve just looked at my weight tracker and it’s a depressing series of sharp ups and downs, with a long rise in the middle whenI didn't track for a year. I started to say to myself that my body obviously sets to this weight and then stopped. There is no rule that I have to spend the rest of my life in the obese category. I am going to reset myself . First goal is under 200, also under 15 stone and less than 90 kgs!
    I went to a Scrabble tournament yesterday, and ate some millionaires shortbread. I don’t even like it! But I won’t eat something again just because it’s there. I was hungry though, and I had no healthy food with me. Lesson learned.I also had a small piece of cake, but I love that!
    Grand daughters birthday party today, so I’ll see if I negotiate better.

I lost 90 pounds and then settled into a "happy weight" of around 145. It took me three years to lose my weight because I continued to enjoy "life events" such as birthday cakes, Christmas, and a glass of wine with homemade pizza on a Friday night. To my way of thinking, I had to be able to lose weight while still participating in certain things, otherwise, how would I be able to maintain? It worked for me and I maintained my weight for about three years

And then I retired. My big challenge has been "free range" eating because this new life doesn't have the same structure as it did when I worked. Unfortunately I've allowed a bit of creep and am currently working on that. My clothes still all fit, just not as comfortably. It's a constant battle but I'll get it figured out......🙃
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Hi, and welcome, @sandramarshall200: Congratulations on the excellent start!

Seven pounds in 3 weeks is pretty fast. Maybe you already realize this, but it's normal for the first weeks to lose a little faster, especially if we're reducing carbs below our previous levels. (The body holds a little extra water to digest/metabolize carbs, so we see that water retention drop on the scale, in addition to whatever fat loss has been triggered by calorie reduction.) It's also normal to have some ups and downs on the scale from water retention shifts from day to day, so don't get discouraged by any short-run outcome that's not what you may've hoped. Averages over a month or so tell the true story.

I don't know about you, but I found food logging really helpful: It made it easy for me to see where I was "spending" calories on things that just weren't that important to my satiation, nutrition, or all-round happiness . . . kind of as you found with the millionaires shortbread. I did things like reduce the amount of pasta in my standard serving, increase veggies; eat fewer sandwiches, and the ones I did eat open face or on a lower-calorie bread/wrap; etc. Small changes in eating patterns really add up!

I hear you on the "eating things because they're there" habit: That was one of mine, for sure. Perhaps surprisingly, I find that I enjoy my food more now that I'm being more selective, choosing only things I enjoy and find beneficial, rather than just shoveling in mediocre foods I don't truly value, just because they were in front of me.

You're already having some great insights, and learning from things that didn't go as well as they could've, which is perfect. Weight loss (weight management, long term) is really about calm, effective analysis and problem solving, IMO, to change our normal eating patterns. I worry about folks who treat weight loss as a quick, extreme project with an end date after which things "go back to normal", or who seem more oriented to a guilt/anxiety approach to food and eating, and it sounds like you're avoiding those altogether: Good show.

I'm betting you'll also find more wins along the way even before getting to goal weight, things big and small that are similar to your finding that your rashes are gone. There's a great (huge!) thread about those "non scale victories" here, and it was really helpful/motivating to me while I was losing weight. In case you or others haven't seen it, it's here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv#latest

I hope you'll continue to stay in touch here, let us know how you're doing. Wishing you continuing success, all the way to your goals!
  • Pdc654
    Oh my gosh AnnPT77, I could probably be a case study for this condition! Years of on and off dieting with associated loss of muscle make me a very likely candidate for sarcopenia as I get older. I have never heard this term before now so something to be aware of. Thank you for providing this succinct summary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    Oh my gosh AnnPT77, I could probably be a case study for this condition! Years of on and off dieting with associated loss of muscle make me a very likely candidate for sarcopenia as I get older. I have never heard this term before now so something to be aware of. Thank you for providing this succinct summary.

The key thing is, now you're working to avoid/delay this. (I know this from this about you from this and other threads). That's huge.

I'm for sure in this picture, too . . . but also wanting to put the bus in reverse gear, to the extent feasible. It's possible, I believe. (I think the authors of the paper do, too - it feels like they're writing with some urgency because of that.)

If anyone has the science background - or the force of will - to read the actual research paper, there's good and insightful stuff in there - more nuance than my amateur summary. To read something like that, I need to look up terms as I read, and I know I don't catch all the subtleties, but I still think it's useful to try to take it on board.