Plant Based Dilemma

I’m reading the book “How Not to Die” by Dr Michael Gregor. He promotes a plant-based diet. He provides a lot of research-based information to back up his argument.
I do know that I really need to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in my diet but I’m considering the benefits of a plant-based diet.
My dilemma is that I’m married and I believe that my wife wouldn’t be happy if I were to propose this change.
She actually is trying to follow the Wahl’s Protocol so she’s aware of the benefits of a healthy diet. I just don’t think she’d be willing to go all the way.
Any suggestions on what to do? Thank you.
Tagged:

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited September 2022
    I don't see it as that big of a challenge. These aren't competing interests, and are not at odds with one another. There's no need to push the boundaries of your framework onto her protocol. I think you can make it work.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    You don't both need to convert, there's a fair bit of overlap and where the ways of eating differ, you have tweak meals so hers fits hers and yours fits yours.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited September 2022
    I guess I don't understand why you both need to eat the same thing. You just load up on fruits and vegetables. You may need to learn to cook if you don't know how. Watch your protein levels. It's harder to hit on a vegetarian diet, but possible. There are experienced long time posters that make it work @AnnPT77 comes to mind. She'll help you.

There is also a thread running called "For the Love of Produce" that you may want to look at.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Self-snipping below for a correction (oops, sorry):
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Cooking the overlapped part in common, then having separate proteins, is the obvious option. The proteins needed be complicated cooking productions.

* needn't

Yikes.
  • kermitch
    kermitch Posts: 53 Member
    I really wanted to drop the meat, and at one time was ordering food parcels where the meals were delivered at the start of the week (all veges, meats, ingredients, depending on the menu) and it was rather nice for a time, as I was wanting some variety and not enjoying time at the supermarket! Anyway, I ordered four meals a week and just found the whole thing very interesting, getting different flavours and dishes I hadn't tried.
    So then, getting adventurous whilst I was still ordering this way, I switched over to the vegetarian menu for a few months. I was totally delighted at the flavours that came with it. Rather loved it actually.
    I'm married again now, and sadly hubby tends to like his meat, and it has become a lazy way to do dinner... meat and veges. Doesn't take much to think about it.
    So I'm doing my best to still reduce the meat, and hope to progress more to that when I'm not getting home late in the day.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    My gf and I eat completely different. We work opposite shifts so we only eat dinner together on the weekend but we collaborate on meals. We'll even have the same thing, just cooked differently (fried vs baked). It can work!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    edited October 2022
    When talking strictly mortality there is no science so far that can say which diet is better and that study will never ever be done, plus the fact that other lifestyle factors will contribute to overall mortality. I will say veganism would be pretty low or not even qualify as a diet for a thriving civilization given its shortcomings. imo.

What is based in hard science is replacing UPF (ultra processed foods) with either plant or animal whole foods improve most health markers, which is vital to reduce or help reduce our overall fasting insulin levels which higher levels are associated with increased overall mortality. again imo.

My partner and I eat different diets both are based in whole foods but I'm low carb so it's pretty easy for the most part for her where I on the other hand need to be vigil and resist the temptation. Today she made cinnamon buns and was a pastry chef so very tempting lol.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    There’s no law saying a married couple have to eat the same things. 🤷‍♀️

I’m a long time vegetarian - my husband emphatically is not! I just cook twice, he gets dinner around 5pm which is what he prefers, I clean up after that then do my own meal around 7pm.

I do tend to cook several portions where appropriate - think chilli, bolognese, curries etc and freeze extra portions - which gives me an easy option for days when I just can’t face cooking twice or days when one or other of us is having something complicated and time consuming. Works fine.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Vegan here and I agree with everyone who said that you don't both have to eat the same thing. Start doing it and then she will see what difference it makes in your health. Good luck!