Low carb and sugar, high protein meals!

mp_2022
mp_2022 Posts: 1 Member
I am really in need of low carb and sugar meals....breakfast and dinner mostly. Just started tracking and found even though I don't eat too much....my carbs and sugar are too high.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Nothing wrong with carbs or sugar in moderation. Boneless skinless chicken breast or other lean meat. Eggs. Salad. Veggies. Sheet tray bakes with protein and veggies of your choice. Greek yogurts.
  • annmarieb00
    annmarieb00 Posts: 3 Member
    fish and seafood if you like it ...its quick and easy
    For lunch I sometimes make a prawn salad or prawn cocktail
    Breakfast thin bagels are lower in carbs make a bacon sandwich
    with 1 slice lean bacon and some tomatoe just ideas good luck

• vlw80
    vlw80 Posts: 12 Member
    Sugar is VERY hard to keep low when you are actually tracking it! I learned that awhile back when I was trying to do low sugar. It is in so many things - things you wouldn't even expect!
    1 easy way to cut down sugar is to read the labels. Seriously. 1 serving of something like a marinara sauce can have as much to 9 grams of sugar per serving. Same with sauces, dressings, things like that. The ketchup in my fridge has 4 gms per 1 tablespoon. That is nuts!

My go-to breakfast is 2 eggs, whatever veggie on hand, and a piece of toast. I am not a huge sweet-for-breakfast person, so I don't have much fruit that time of day, so my breakfast is high protein and decent carb. But I am picky and do not like a lot of things and am able to eat things over and over without getting too bored.

They are getting harder to find now, but the Body for Life recipes are great for high protein, low carb and sugar recipes. They have a turkey meatloaf that is awesome!!
  • vlw80
    vlw80 Posts: 12 Member
    I just looked at what I had logged for breakfast, and it had 15 gm of carbs and only 2 of sugar! Protein was 16 gms. Yay!
    Oh, and if you can't find the meatloaf recipe, let me know. :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    BF: eggs and avocado or spinach, light(no sugar added) or greek yogurt and berries
    Lunch: salad greens, tomato, cucumber with protein(chicken, lunch meat,cottage cheese, etc)
    Dinner: meat, veg(cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, squash, onion, peppers, etc)
  • kermitch
    kermitch Posts: 53 Member
    Yes, they sneak in very easily. I do my very best to avoid white bread, and limit potatoes. I’m sure if I could cut out most of the flour and added sugar, I’d be making good progress.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    vlw80 wrote: »
    Sugar is VERY hard to keep low when you are actually tracking it! I learned that awhile back when I was trying to do low sugar. It is in so many things - things you wouldn't even expect!
    1 easy way to cut down sugar is to read the labels. Seriously. 1 serving of something like a marinara sauce can have as much to 9 grams of sugar per serving. Same with sauces, dressings, things like that. The ketchup in my fridge has 4 gms per 1 tablespoon. That is nuts!

My go-to breakfast is 2 eggs, whatever veggie on hand, and a piece of toast. I am not a huge sweet-for-breakfast person, so I don't have much fruit that time of day, so my breakfast is high protein and decent carb. But I am picky and do not like a lot of things and am able to eat things over and over without getting too bored.

They are getting harder to find now, but the Body for Life recipes are great for high protein, low carb and sugar recipes. They have a turkey meatloaf that is awesome!!

Most nutritional authorities are going to draw a distinction between added sugar and inherent sugar. MFP tracks all types in one total. It's added sugars that mainstream nutritional authorities suggest we limit.

Yes, read labels.

My ketchup has 1g sugar, zero added. (It's from the tomatoes.) My brand of marinara has 6g sugar, zero added (mostly the tomatoes, maybe some from onions). Heck, plain skim milk has 12g of sugar, zero added . . . the cow put it in there.

If someone has a relevant health condition (such as diabetes), then managing total carbs/sugars may matter (there's some nuance). For those without a relevant health condition, it may be of concern if eating so much carbs/sugar that it drives out needed protein or fats, since we need a certain minimum of those latter two.

Other than that, though, there's no great worry IMO if over the MFP sugar goal. I was over the MFP default sugar goal pretty much every day during weight loss, while eating well under 10g added sugars most day (but getting adequate protein and fats). I lost weight at a good clip, my high blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides went down pretty rapidly, etc. Even some added sugar is not the devil, in the context of good overall nutrition and appropriate calories.

For an otherwise generally healthy person, even an overweight one, getting good overall nutrition is more about making sure the good things are in one's eating (protein; fats; plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits), less about driving out theoretically bad ones; and about cutting calories enough to lose weight, but not so far that nutrition suffers (we need minimum grams of protein/fats, not just minimum percentages).

• iharitan
    iharitan Posts: 2 Member
    Egg white omelette, shrimps or prawns, tuna fillets!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I keep it really simple, choose my protein, choose a variety of non-starchy veg and some seasoning, dressing or sauce and just go with that.

I do meal prep for lunches - this week is pork meatball, eggplant and zucchini curry. I winged it but basically pork mince mixed with various spices, rolled into balls and browned, then taken out of the pan, browned a whole chopped onion, some garlic, then mixed through some curry powder, added in chopped eggplant and zucchini (and the last of the mushrooms, just to use them up), a tin of chopped tomatoes and a cup of passata, added back the meatballs, covered and cooked until the veg was cooked.
  • MrsEddie2611
    MrsEddie2611 Posts: 7 Member
    Omelette with veggies and some kind of added meat like ham.
    Chicken tray bake with and olive oil, chilli, garlic, smoked paprika rub and mixed veggies is delicious.
    Pasta free lasagne using leeks as your lasagne sheets works really well.
    Cabbage wrapped burritos
    Lettuce tacos