Barcode scanner

Answers

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2022
    The barcode scanner just brings you to the same wrong entries you'd find if you searched manually. Then you have go match the correct one, fix it, make a new one, whatever. I'm not paying to do all that work. I won't miss it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2022
    Don't worry about it - you can enter all your foods manually and if you don't want to there are other apps with a free barcode scanner - don't sweat the small stuff 😁

Honestly, this move is going to wreak absolute havoc on the database. If I can't type in the exact brand name and description and quickly find the correct entry, I'm making a new one. Good luck dealing with that mess, MFP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited October 2022
    Sageyoku wrote: »
    So, I think this is more about principle.
    Whether you use the barcode scanner or not, think about the fact that the owners of MFP are willing to take away functionality for people who are trying to be healthy and lose weight.
    What does that say about their priorities?
    Do you want to keep supporting a company like that?
    If MFP needed more people to subscribe or pay for features, there are SO many other great ways to make it happen. For example, if the food database were streamlined to ONLY include foods with accurate calorie counts and accurate barcodes at the subscription level, I would ABSOLUTELY pay for that!!

It's owned by an investment firm...the only thing an investment firm cares about is revenues coming in. A private-equity firm doesn't care about your health and well-being. It's just one of many asset holdings in a portfolio. It hasn't been privately owned since 2015 when Mike Lee sold it to UA and then UA sold it to this private-equity firm at a massive loss to UA in 2020.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    edited October 2022
    I laughed so hard this morning when I read the e-mail. It's interesting that so many of you are upset by this move because you've found the function to be so helpful but aren't willing to pay for it.

I, on the other hand, won't be paying for it for the opposite reason. There is SO MUCH WORK that goes into using the barcode scanner on the user end, getting wrong entries, then fixing the wrong entries, searching for correct entries in the database to match them to the barcode, or creating new entries altogether. That's what makes the app so unique. It really takes all users working together to update the database so it's easier to use for the next person. But it's like digging in sand. You never really get ahead. You can only fix what you get your hands on, but the bad entries just keep coming. It was barely worth using the barcode scanner FOR FREE. I can't imagine any seasoned user paying for the inconvenience. You'll probably get a lot of new users who think "wow that's such a cool and helpful feature" and shell out the money, only to find out how frustrating it really is, and either move on to something else, or just not renew.

Also, have fun with how even more bloated and redundant the database will become. If I search something manually with all the correct words and can't find the right one within a few swipes, I'm just creating a new one. Sorry not sorry.

Personally, my whole weight journey is chronicled in the MFP app and I'm pretty attached to it at this point. I will do just fine without the barcode scanner. Peace.

I'll be completely honest. When I first got the email, my first instinct was to leave. Find another app. But man, when I tried to log my foods in another app, I quickly realized that everything that I've done (losing 140lbs) is here, in mfp. all my recipes, all my foods, everything. It's so much harder to leave, so honestly I started thinking maybe I should pay for the scanner. But like you, I find almost everything I try to look up is incorrect and I end up creating new items anyway.
    I am thinking I am staying here, unless something magical comes along. LOL
  • jr0ch
    jr0ch Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Add to this that we are now being advertised to in a manner reminiscent of when I used to illegally watch soccer games online. A different place to close the ad every time. So f’ing juvenile.
  • marygrb
    marygrb Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Deleting your app since ypu want to charge for barcode. There's lots of other apps put there, cya
  • joeyvivona
    joeyvivona Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2022
    This is how you lose people and get bad reviews. People get greedy for money now they’re charging $80 a year just so you can scan a barcode. Totally unfair for people who have been using the app for a long time. Maybe someone sees this and changes there new rule or a lot of people will change apps that doesn’t charge. It shouldn’t be an added feature to be paying for.
  • Minton31
    Minton31 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    On October 1, I will be leaving MFP for another calorie counter. It’s pretty frustrating that they want to take away things in the lure to get you to pay for premium. You should be offering more to your loyal customers. I’ve been using MFP for over 4100 days. I wish everyone the best of luck with your journey, the latest weight loss I’m enjoying has come from tracking my macros more than my calories. I hope MFP decides taking a scanner, a useful tool away, may drive folks away rather than getting them to pay.
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    ElMeroKeeQue Posts: 540 Member
    edited October 2022
    What program?
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    edited October 2022
    Good luck! In case anyone still cares I track my calories and other things using LoseIt. Their free version still has a barcode scanner

That's what I use to track everything too
  • TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    edited October 2022
    Good luck! In case anyone still cares I track my calories and other things using LoseIt. Their free version still has a barcode scanner

It really works! Too bad I can’t get a date there
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    edited October 2022

😂

That's why we are still here. 🤣
  • piggy_smalls
    piggy_smalls Posts: 1,600 Member
    edited October 2022

😂

I just use it to try and recruit people to my Discord. 😈
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    edited October 2022

😂

That sounds like trouble
    I like it 🤣😂
  • piggy_smalls
    piggy_smalls Posts: 1,600 Member
    edited October 2022

😂

That sounds like trouble
    I like it 🤣😂

ehg67bx3kkbo.gif
  • FeastRepeat
    FeastRepeat Posts: 1,113 Member
    edited October 2022

I track calories on Tinder and date here.
This discussion has been closed.