Barcode scanner

Answers

• Judyelaine1952
    Judyelaine1952 Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2022
    It’s all about the money. They received a grant from the government to give away a million free premium memberships. They don’t need us anymore. I’ve gone to Fitbit after 855 days straight of logging without missing. So goes life! I told them how I felt. They didn’t care.
  • efig18
    efig18 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    you have got to be kidding me. barcode scan now a premium feature.... 👎🏼
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited October 2022
    glassyo wrote: »
    Wait. Did you both actually try it? There are conflicting stories now.

I just tried it, I still have access.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    edited October 2022
    glassyo wrote: »
    Wait. Did you both actually try it? There are conflicting stories now.

I just tried it, I still have access.

Maybe you have to have a certain amount of posts for it to work.

That would also be funny. :)
  • EricaFunk
    EricaFunk Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    So you seriously took the free bar code away from all of us non payers. You have probably lost a lot of customers by now and will continue to as my clients will probably be switching soon too. That’s a shame.
  • OCNY44
    OCNY44 Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2022
    No it's not----the same icon is there in the diary but when you click it on you get the offers for premium membership.
    I thought the same thing at first when I saw that the icon was still there but nope, the bar code scanner is now pay-for-play.
  • _Dan1985
    _Dan1985 Posts: 310 Member
    edited October 2022
    OCNY44 wrote: »
    No it's not----the same icon is there in the diary but when you click it on you get the offers for premium membership.
    I thought the same thing at first when I saw that the icon was still there but nope, the bar code scanner is now pay-for-play.

I am currently able to scan food barcodes and add them to my diary.

This could be a regional thing, but it's absolutely working for me. For now.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited October 2022
    Don't worry about it - you can enter all your foods manually and if you don't want to there are other apps with a free barcode scanner - don't sweat the small stuff 😁

Honestly, this move is going to wreak absolute havoc on the database. If I can't type in the exact brand name and description and quickly find the correct entry, I'm making a new one. Good luck dealing with that mess, MFP.

That mess is the way MFP has always worked 😆 Remember when verified entries first became a thing? They got rid of the single MFP verified entries, and instead 28 different “verified” entries come up when you do a search. We’ve always just thrown any ol trash in the database. Heck, bring back the single MFP checked entries and I’ll consider supporting MFP premium for at least a year.

• OCNY44
    MFP was bought out by a private equity firm. A private equity firm's ONLY goal is to make money and sell at a future date for a profit.
    I think we are going to see them chip away at the free features, one by one.
    I am transferring all my recipes over to my Healthi app, which costs me a whopping $2 per month and has a great app. The free Healthi app includes a bar code scanner, BTW.
    Adios and aloha, MFP.
  • meboes69
    meboes69 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    I've been using myfitnesspal for many years, and just now when I tried to scan a barcode it takes me to the membership signup page. Did they really just take that away from free members?
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    edited October 2022
    meboes69 wrote: »
    I've been using myfitnesspal for many years, and just now when I tried to scan a barcode it takes me to the membership signup page. Did they really just take that away from free members?

Yeah. There was an email about it back in August, I think. You need to upgrade to a Premium membership to use it now. If you were signed up recently, it was taken from you in September. If you've been here a while, you got a month more. It's incredibly greedy and I don't know any member here who has been okay with this move.

I also know there are quite a few members who have left MFP and are now using other fitness apps. From a business sense, this is one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen. There's nothing at all to warrant anybody paying what they want.
  • OCNY44
    1baddogman wrote: »
    Barcode scanner is not premium but is now on the right side of the app - left side is meal scanner which is premium

Nope---bar code scanner is now Premium.
  • OCNY44
    can111 wrote: »
    SAME. Money grab. They announced this past week they were giving away premium memberships to “underserved” people. Guess they have to make up the money somewhere.

Tax incentive. It truly is all about the Benjamins.
    MFP is owned by a private equity group now. The SOLE purpose of a private equity group is to squeeze all the profit they can out of a venture and then sell it. Private equity groups typically hold a company for three to five years and then sell when they can realize a profit from the sale.
    We can expect to see a lot of changes now---loss of the recipe builder, daily nutrition counts?
    Buh-bye, MFP.
  • scoutmom414
    scoutmom414 Posts: 2 Member
    This is ridiculous, why charge now for something that's been free for years. Not like it costs them any more all of a sudden. Loyal customers/users are obviously NOT important anymore. If everybody drops the app, maybe their advertisers will lose money and make some noise. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • dryomamadel
    dryomamadel Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    I use the free version and am no longer able to scan bar codes. Just want to verify this is the case before I make a decision ablut continuing to use the app.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    Ok, someone said long timers have another month so that explains that.

Probably.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited October 2022
    Granted, I don’t use it that much but was appalled when I tried to use it today and could not.

Not going to make me pay for Premium.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    edited October 2022
    Or how did you miss the dozen or so threads about it already? :D

Won't be making me pay for premium either and I think will just result in less people using MFP.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    edited October 2022
    I just checked, and it's still working for me. Maybe because I've not updated the app? Not that I ever used it as the database entries I get tend to be *kitten* and then I can't simply chose a different one as with searching by typing.
  • FeastRepeat
    FeastRepeat Posts: 1,113 Member
    TulsaDavid wrote: »
    Having the barcode scanner available on the free app for so long, then disabling it, is very distasteful. I used the barcode scanner often and refined with better matches to improve it for the community. No doubt others did to. That contribution obviously means nothing.

If if the standard schtick reply is, "Go premium", then no! Premium is a bit overpriced, but that koolaid was more appealing before this coercive tactic.

Removing the scanning feature is distasteful. I have been on and off MFP for a decade. Perhaps this will shed a bit of light on the company… MFP has not cared about its users for many years. The lack of simple features and the constant issues with the site/app speak to this.
This discussion has been closed.