WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Lanette, I have several friends who prefer Messenger to texting or Email. I am most responsive to Text (iPhone), then Messenger, then Email, then Voicemail. For whatever reason! ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    edited October 2022
    Heather: πŸ₯° The birthday photos. I hope you bet your 🐁 sorted out quickly.
    Viv: I’m not a fan of dark evenings either.
    Machka: Both these spots have been healing up and recurring for a couple of years now. Like you I just thought they were pimples, but your post made me wonder otherwise.

πŸ₯³πŸŽ‰ Cheers to all those celebrating.

Virtual (((hugs))) and πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ» for those who need them.

πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈ Miele failte to the newbies.

Probably a good idea to get them checked!

For quite some time, I assumed that skin cancer would look like a misshapen mole. That's the image which is shown around here all the time. Turns out the misshapen mole is Melanoma, the most serious form of skin cancer.

But there are several different kinds of skin cancer. Actinic Keratosis is a precancer, Basal Cell Carcinoma is most likely what I've got, Squamous Cell Carcinoma a somewhat more serious version of BCC, and of course Melanoma.
    https://www.health.com/condition/melanoma/is-it-a-mole-or-skin-cancer

So of course, thankfully, none of mine look like the Melanoma pictures I've seen. The one that is the closest to that may just be a pigment-less mole.

This site shows pictures of 5 different types of BCC:
    https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/basal-cell-carcinoma/

I also see that this site (link below) says of BCC:
    "What it is: Caused by sun damage and typically found on the face, this type of cancer is treatable if it's caught early.
    Looks Like: It normally appears as a pinkish or reddish patch that may bleed or scab. "Picture a pimple that seems to heal, only to return again," Dr. Ostad said."

https://www.health.com/condition/melanoma/is-it-a-mole-or-skin-cancer

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member

Facebook Messenger question: I'm curious. How many of you use Facebook Messenger as a primary way of communicating with people? I like that I can open it on my tablet and not have to also open FB and be bombarded with their ads. Seems like 99% of my friends prefer Messenger over texting and email.

That's a wrap. New gals - pop in!

Make it a fabulous Wednesday <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I use it for some people in my life. :)

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Heather, Bea makes a beautiful Queen! Your hubs is such a trooper.

Oh Annie! You dad reminds me of my mom. She regularly BLOCKS me on her phone. She also has trouble with turning it on airplane mode. Sometimes I think they make these functions too easy (for us) and then they get turned on by mistake.

Pip, just had a regular eye exam yesterday and my doc was saying how easy those surgeries are. Prayers for you. You're going to be so happy tomorrow!

Not much new or different here except that I came home SO EXHAUSTED yesterday that I went to be at 730 last night and slept ELEVEN HOURS straight through! Must have needed that! WHEW!

Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Morning ladies
    I scheduled i guess my second pneumonia vaccine. I had my first 1 in 2008 and its a 2 phase vaccine
    So i scheduled it a couple weeks out to give my arm a while to bounce back lol.
    Ordered a couple toys for Miles for Christmas. And right now he he is snoozing here on the couch..
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,297 Member
    Pip ~ Good luck on your upcoming surgery. It is great to be able to see without glasses/contacts.

Karen ~ I had the cataract surgery and I recently got floaters. Dr. said there was nothing to do about it. I will have to go back in 6 wks for a recheck to make sure there is an unknown as of yet problem.

Please

Carol in GA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2022
    Carol, The doctor I consulted about the floaters (vitreous detachments) said they are so big that it warrants vitrectomy to be done at the same time as cataract surgery, taking care of both problems. Bigger procedure, but should leave me with crystal clear vision. I look forward to it, despite how radical it sounds. Of course, in 10 years I may be a little more nervous about it.

Karen in Virginia
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    Sue in WA - I am so sorry the smoke is still lingering in your area. The air here in SW WA doesn't smell smokey but you can see a haze, and those of us with allergies are having a heck of a time.

It's unnaturally warm for early October. On one hand, I'm glad the daytime temperature is warm enough to not kick on the heater, but on the other hand, it's too warm to sleep unless I open the windows at night - then the house gets too cool, heater comes on, etc. etc. Being cautious, keeping the electric bill down. A little fan running in the bedroom helps.

Kim - how is your Mom's move coming along? I think about her sometimes and what her life will be like living closer to you if and when that happens.

Allie - Miles is too cute! Thank you for posting pix of him. :)

Debbie - so sorry to hear about Destiny. Sending prayers. Your mom's roommate situation is worrisome, hope that gal takes off with minimal hassle. I wonder what my life will be like in, say, ten years. Will I still be here and able to afford to live by myself? Would I be willing to share my house and give up my quiet space? Rori's solution sounds good with a roommate who has his own interests and is used to sharing a home. It's still early days, I'm not worried. Still keeping traveling nurses in the back of my mind.

A couple days ago I ran to town after lunch to deal with a Credit Union error (another case of a little bitty IRA CD being rolled into a non-IRA CD = taxable distribution. Their boo-boo and they fixed it!). I ran into one of my former favorite supervisors there, who has also since retired. We stood in the shade outside the building and yakked and reminisced for probably half an hour. He's a kick - we'll meet one of these days for coffee or lunch. NOT romantic! Just a friend. :) Another benefit of getting back out in the world and being able to do spontaneous things. :)

Facebook Messenger question: I'm curious. How many of you use Facebook Messenger as a primary way of communicating with people? I like that I can open it on my tablet and not have to also open FB and be bombarded with their ads. Seems like 99% of my friends prefer Messenger over texting and email.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I like Messenger. Its my primary way to communicate with my eldest sailor overseas. He leaves me videos, and I critique them! He is also a fan of the most obscure music so I am always listening to a Russian rock band, or Mongolian throat singing, or Jazz from the 30's. He is like me, can find beauty in most any music.πŸ’–. Our family also has a chat group, where we're all listed and if anyone wants to get info out to everyone, we use that. Right now its just our veteran son in Vancouver WA, his wife, our eldest son and husband & I. Youngest hasn't communicated since June 2020 on my personal Messenger chat, and longer maybe 2019 on the group one. We all miss him, but he knows where we live, our phone number, he's an adult.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    Tt
    Sue in WA - I am so sorry the smoke is still lingering in your area. The air here in SW WA doesn't smell smokey but you can see a haze, and those of us with allergies are having a heck of a time.

It's unnaturally warm for early October. On one hand, I'm glad the daytime temperature is warm enough to not kick on the heater, but on the other hand, it's too warm to sleep unless I open the windows at night - then the house gets too cool, heater comes on, etc. etc. Being cautious, keeping the electric bill down. A little fan running in the bedroom helps.

Kim - how is your Mom's move coming along? I think about her sometimes and what her life will be like living closer to you if and when that happens.

Allie - Miles is too cute! Thank you for posting pix of him. :)

Debbie - so sorry to hear about Destiny. Sending prayers. Your mom's roommate situation is worrisome, hope that gal takes off with minimal hassle. I wonder what my life will be like in, say, ten years. Will I still be here and able to afford to live by myself? Would I be willing to share my house and give up my quiet space? Rori's solution sounds good with a roommate who has his own interests and is used to sharing a home. It's still early days, I'm not worried. Still keeping traveling nurses in the back of my mind.

A couple days ago I ran to town after lunch to deal with a Credit Union error (another case of a little bitty IRA CD being rolled into a non-IRA CD = taxable distribution. Their boo-boo and they fixed it!). I ran into one of my former favorite supervisors there, who has also since retired. We stood in the shade outside the building and yakked and reminisced for probably half an hour. He's a kick - we'll meet one of these days for coffee or lunch. NOT romantic! Just a friend. :) Another benefit of getting back out in the world and being able to do spontaneous things. :)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

If someone sends me a message, I reply. I haven’t thought that much about it

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Two of my friends use only Facebook messenger and the others text or email. I like both messenger and texts.
    Betsy in NW WA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,297 Member
    I love Messenger and email. Hate texting but can't contact Son/DnL any other way most of the time! I hate talking on the phone.

Carol in GA

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Good morning ladies!

I don't use Messenger. I don't trust Facebook, although I couldn't say exactly what I suspect them of doing. I look at other people's posts but I rarely post anything myself.

Time to go buy groceries! I kept putting it off due to rain. Ciao!

Annie in Delaware
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Miles cranky,down for his second nap... he skiddadles so fast all over he wears himself out.. but he has 2 more teeth cutting through,the way he is going he will have a full set by the time he is a year and a 1/2 lol
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Thank you for your prayers for Destiny- she needs all she can get. When they first found it in her leg, they thought they were going to have to amputate but they were able to save it. They have found spots on her lungs, did chemo and they either shrunk dramatically or were gone, then, they did new scans and found new spots and they are also doing more tests because of a lot of pain in her stomach.
    She has been so strong in her faith this whole time. Stronger than most adults I know.

as for FB Messenger-I use it all the time. Actually use that to communicate with dh more than actual talking most of the time(he is either at his mother's or back in his room and he will message me instead of coming into the living room to talk to me.
    That is the only way I communicate with my older sister and most of the time with my younger sister, unless she wants to vent to someone and she calls me.
    I only have one person I text with (former hubby) . We did use messenger but until he stopped using FB because he was being stalked. I told him he could use just messenger but not FB but he chooses texting-I am fine, as long as we are chatting, I don't care how, BUT- it would be easier for me if it was FB- because I can type really fast on my keyboard compared to on my phone.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    <3B)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    I'm another one trying to tolerate floaters in my eyes. Another reason to avoid driving at night.

Annie in Delaware