Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 4

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    anyone still out there doing keto? i had great success a few years ago, covid, being lazy and busy have added a good 25 lbs. I would love to connect with others who are in the same boat as me. My biggest issue is meal planning. I'm a working mom who is also in nursing school so needless to say most of my meals are last minute. I would love to have help coming up with a routine and meals that can be my go to every week where I don't have to do alot of calculating and cooking. My time is very minimal. I need help.

I have been doing it since 2016. I lost over 100 lbs and stayed on keto for maintenance.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    anyone still out there doing keto? i had great success a few years ago, covid, being lazy and busy have added a good 25 lbs. I would love to connect with others who are in the same boat as me. My biggest issue is meal planning. I'm a working mom who is also in nursing school so needless to say most of my meals are last minute. I would love to have help coming up with a routine and meals that can be my go to every week where I don't have to do alot of calculating and cooking. My time is very minimal. I need help.

yeah I'm here. I'm just busy, and crazy, as heck.
    @erinparkermiller Try googling "keto meal prep ideas" and see if any of those might help
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 836 Member
    Howdy folks!

I have done lower carb eating for years now, and have been gluten free since 2012. My high weight was 345 and currently, I am 222.

I think keto works for so many, as you naturally become gluten free, which was a good thing for me as it is the only way I take off weight and keep it off. Gluten kept my body in an inflammatory state.

I tried to take off weight for ten years before hoing gluten free, and couldn't get much below 300. I lean towards the keto diet as it helps to keep my blood glucose under control.

My main goal these days is to control my blood glucose. If I continue to lose weight, it would be great.
  • beccaboo1276414
    My blood glucose is doing fine these days. I've cut out any processed food, including gluten free toast, and eat some berries when I want a treat. My continous glucose monitor has really helped me!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    My blood glucose is doing fine these days. I've cut out any processed food, including gluten free toast, and eat some berries when I want a treat. My continous glucose monitor has really helped me!

I have always been curious about the continuous meters because of the quick feedback. I wonder how much it would help the recently diagnosed get the diet sorted?
  • beccaboo1276414
    It would help a lot! I've had diabetes for ten years, and the finger pricks don't tell you how one's blood glucose is trending.

• Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Hi, I've been on keto before and I did very well with it. However, 6 months ago I developed an extremely painful brachial neuropathy. I laid in bed for 6 weeks barely able to move then a couple of months of recovery. I was unable to move my arm or lift anything. So, no ability to cook, no keto. I've gained back all the weight. I'm now back on keto. It's my first week and I'm doing well, no cheating and just soldiering through any cravings. I'm so determined to get my weight down, my blood sugar under control and the awful pain in my knees from the weight and the inflammation.

I just moved and started a new job. This job requires a fair amount of walking so my knees have been super painful, sometimes waking me up in the night. I'm so determined to get some weight off and with keto the inflammation goes down significantly. I absolutely love my new job and the thought of not being able to continue is a massive motivator for me.

Anyway, glad to see all of you. I'll be happy to offer some encouragement as well.
  • Fongpei
    Fongpei Posts: 5 Member
    Im on the Keto rebound now after packing on 20 lbs. Just getting serious about it now and looking for a group to keep me inspired. I taught cooking classes before COVID hit and was integrating cuisines from around the world to the Keto lifestyle. Hope to loose some weight and get back to what I love to do.

Would love to hear this groups favorites.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Good luck!!!!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,679 Member
    @beccaboo1276414 I noticed that a low-carb diet made me gluten free too and wondered if that helped. But testing says I'm not gluten intolerant, so not inflammatory. Less carbs helps stay away from high-glycemic foods though and thus avoid insulin's vicious cycle.

Good luck.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    way to get back on track @PaulaKro

i'm in week 2. it's been much easier/better than week 1. I was a little cranky, lol
  • LifeChangz
    i feel like a thread killer, lol

anyone else pretty much doing this right now? bet this forum will be busy come new years!

i don't know about other people - most of my family & friends are treating sweets right now - and I would agree - what we eat should be fun & enjoyable.

found a little snack sized food tree I think is adorable - string cheese rounds for the snow. there are frozen veggie blends with roasted corn & peppers which is what I think they used here to decorate the green beans tree. her website has some adorable ideas.

e4r1804mukpd.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 865 Member
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    i feel like a thread killer, lol

anyone else pretty much doing this right now? bet this forum will be busy come new years!

i don't know about other people - most of my family & friends are treating sweets right now - and I would agree - what we eat should be fun & enjoyable.

found a little snack sized food tree I think is adorable - string cheese rounds for the snow. there are frozen veggie blends with roasted corn & peppers which is what I think they used here to decorate the green beans tree. her website has some adorable ideas.

e4r1804mukpd.jpg

@lifechangez that’s adorable!!

I’m in the same boat… co workers etc everyone piling on the sweets, alcohol, you name it..

I would agree// I would say I eat healthy yet I find it enjoyable.
  • LifeChangz
    nods - on steroids this week.

iw6wwlhbtf1k.jpg
  • LifeChangz
    lol, i am not on steroids - the holiday feasting & treating is on steroids all around us!

found a capresi platter to do for the feast ~ mozarella & tomato sliced rounds ~ thinking will do beef & smoked turkey breast for meats, marinated artichoke hearts, mushrooms, pickled asparagus spears, other cheeses, olives and a ranch dip in center

ucrtf0v37m2t.jpg

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,679 Member
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    lol, i am not on steroids - the holiday feasting & treating is on steroids all around us!

found a capresi platter to do for the feast ~ mozarella & tomato sliced rounds ~ thinking will do beef & smoked turkey breast for meats, marinated artichoke hearts, mushrooms, pickled asparagus spears, other cheeses, olives and a ranch dip in center

ucrtf0v37m2t.jpg

@LifeChangz

That looks delish! You're making me hungry!

Paula
  • pamlorbieski
    pamlorbieski Posts: 187 Member
    Hi..I'm Pam :) I have tried keto twice before and as much as I really loved it, I developed a keto rash both times so bad that I literally wanted to peel my skin off! Who knew that there was actually such a thing?!? Well I am starting again and this time I have gone very lo carb. Hoping I can slide my way into keto without my stupid skin noticing. Anyone have any experience with this and some some words of advice? Thanks in advance!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Hi first day of keto. I haven’t eaten so much dairy in a long time. I’ve been eating my parents food for two weeks and chips etc and really bad skin on myself and children, not sure why. I’m going to give oranges to my kids and back to their normal diet of persian food, but not sure what is best for skin on a keto diet.
  • LifeChangz
    edited January 2023
    wow @pamlorbieski ~ had never heard of a keto rash. sounds painful. maybe if you get established at a lower carb with a higher amount of non-starchy veggies and then you could step back down into keto? but, if that rash came on, not sure about doing keto - sounds like your body is not liking it at all... good luck - let us know how you do.

@12Sarah2015 ~ WTG on day 1! I also added dairy with it... it's a real shift away from other foods for sure!

I've fresh started end of November through year end on keto (<50g carbs a day). I wanted to break a voracious appetite and it helped... really took a good 3 weeks to stablize. I'm going to experiment with the carb threshhold and transition to a lo-carb (<100g carbs a day) and see how my appetite does. I eat 4 meals a day, so this will up my non-starchy veggies from <12g carbs to <25g carbs per meal or so, and be a bit more emotionally satisfying. Will see if it re-ignites that crazy appetite. Hope not!

Cardio doc recommended a mediterranean diet food choices after a keto jumpstart so will see where those foods are that intersect. did a little searching and appears there's info on a keto-mediterranean food approach.... will explore that this month. tbh, it all gets a little confusing - mostly, need to find foods that #1) help nourish the body that #2) I also like - and #3) eat enough but stop at too much.... when that #4) crazy appetite gets going it gets hard to stop at enough, so these factors remain top priority