WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Replies

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Carol, so glad to hear the good news about your sister.

Karen, I wish I had your brother's talent.

I'm like you Lisa! I often answer, "GREAT! If I was any better I'd be twins!

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Sun is shining. Sky is blue. Leaves are GORGEOUS! And I am playing with paper again.

Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,444 Member
    pvj68u5t0d0x.jpeg

Ha! That's kinda how I clean sometimes! Poor Lee comes down and asks "what happened"?? I like the look of chaos then clean! When I was a little girl I used to open all the cabinets and drawers a bit in the kitchen (first I asked my mother), then I would lay down and look at everything upside down. The lamp floating, etc. I know odd, but then I would jump up and as quickly as I could, shut every drawer and close (not slam) every cabinet. Silly Becky!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    I don't ask questions much, but I'm really interested in the answer to this one. For a little bit of background, I'm from the South, and I was raised that you greet folks politely whether you know them or not, especially if they greet you first. One of the things I realized the other day is that I have a (possibly annoying) habit of answering when people ask me how I am or how I'm doing with a joke. For instance, the gal at the drive-thru window asked me how I was on Thursday, and I said, "Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!" She didn't know whether to smile or not, so I followed that with, "But then, most people are..." and she handed me my bag and I motored on.

I'm honestly aware that when they say "How are you doing?" they think I will say, "Fine, how are you?" as that's the cultural expectation. I like violating cultural expectations (in a kind and/or funny way) and I do it regularly. In places of business where there's more time, I tend to say, "Well, if I was any better, I'd be twins!" and my personal favorite, "If I was any better, I'd have to sit on my hands to keep from waving at people!" Followed of course, by "How about you?"

So, the question is... How do you respond to people (whether strangers or not) who say, "How are you doing?" Or do people even greet each other that way in your culture/region/area?

Just curious.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa

I often reply with adequate, and you?

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :) How am I?
    If things were any better I couldn't stand it.🌞
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    I don't ask questions much, but I'm really interested in the answer to this one. For a little bit of background, I'm from the South, and I was raised that you greet folks politely whether you know them or not, especially if they greet you first. One of the things I realized the other day is that I have a (possibly annoying) habit of answering when people ask me how I am or how I'm doing with a joke. For instance, the gal at the drive-thru window asked me how I was on Thursday, and I said, "Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!" She didn't know whether to smile or not, so I followed that with, "But then, most people are..." and she handed me my bag and I motored on.

I'm honestly aware that when they say "How are you doing?" they think I will say, "Fine, how are you?" as that's the cultural expectation. I like violating cultural expectations (in a kind and/or funny way) and I do it regularly. In places of business where there's more time, I tend to say, "Well, if I was any better, I'd be twins!" and my personal favorite, "If I was any better, I'd have to sit on my hands to keep from waving at people!" Followed of course, by "How about you?"

So, the question is... How do you respond to people (whether strangers or not) who say, "How are you doing?" Or do people even greet each other that way in your culture/region/area?

Just curious.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa

I rarely respond to questions when they are asked in this group unless someone is asking me specifically. However, I will answer this one. I would LOVE it if someone responded to me like that if I asked them how they were. For whatever reason I rarely ask someone how they are doing, I don’t know why. When someone asks me, I rarely if ever respond with the, fine how are you. A lot of times I say, alive, or sweaty if I ran there.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,326 Member
    "How are you doing?"

"Fine. You?"

B)
  • pipcd34
    Stats for the day-

Walk/slow jog w/yogi- 1hr 28min 46sec, 72elev, 4.13ap, 113ahr, 153mhr, 6.09mi= 616c
    Strava app = 747c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 17.02min, 184elev, 108aw, 17.9amph, 101ahr, 130mhr, 5.07mi= 123c
    Zwift stats- 17.04min, 187elev, 107aw, 44arpm, 17.86amph, 5.08mi= 106c

739 total cal
  • Whidislander
    Excuse the fuzziness but I wanted to respect his privacy and others that I don't have permission to post here.👍🏻
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    Oh Rebecca how wonderful..
    At least you got to see him if not physically, but a picture and know he is ok.. why he hasn't contacted you is beyond me..
    I just hung out here with Alfie today .. will do laundry tomorrow and maybe run over to the mall and return a few things.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    edited October 2022
    Just worked. Found out that one of the managers is leaving, today is her last day. For some reason, and I really don’t know why, she was never my favorite. Maybe it’s because, to me, she always had to be right. Not exactly the brightest crayon in the box.

Also, she was hot and cold. One day, as nice as can be. The next day, on the warpath.

The leak at BK wasn’t bad at all today. Well, that’s because I was prepared. Whenever you’re prepared, nothing happens. Like if I take an umbrella somewhere, I can usually be guaranteed that it won’t rain….lol Cheap insurance….lol The manager who is leaving said that she talked to the store manager and that I can’t do the prep in the other sink because of cross contamination. The store manager told me that she’d like for me to do the prep at the prep sink, but if water is getting into the food, she was OK with me doing it elsewhere. I didn’t tell that manager this, tho. Cross contamination has to do with food, but I didn’t tell her that. I told her “there’s water on the floor”, she told me that was because she just spilled some water over there. I know that wasn’t the fact. So I just said “well, maybe it’s fixed”. I bet any amount of money it’s coming from the a/c and since they probably don’t have the a/c on today, the drip wasn’t bad at all. I did wish her well in all she does. I don’t know why she rubbed me the wrong way.

Rebecca – I never thought of putting Old Bay in with tuna but I bet it tastes really good. Gotta try it next time I have tuna

Making rice in the IP right now for Vince for dinner either tonight or tomorrow (or Monday).

Jess said she’s coming but she has to leave tonight because she has something to do at the school tomorrow. Personally, I can’t see why she would drive 5 hrs to be here for a little over 5 hrs. But if she wants to, so be it. Update: seems that Colby needed to use Vince’s mitre box (is that what it’s called?) and I bet they came for today so he could use it. That’s fine

Lanette – “the health inspector having a field day”. My thought exactly. If the health inspector ever saw that, we’d be closed faster than you can say BK. But, fortunately, it subsided quite a bit today. I think I only felt a few drops on me today and mostly in the morning.

How I miss my water aerobics class! The gym I go to now doesn’t have a pool, unfortunately. See, the water class was at another gym. I knew the gal who is in charge of the gym and she let me take it for free. But since Covid I haven’t been able to go and then they had sign ups and all that. So I don’t think I’ll ever go back (boo)

M – when we first moved to NC and I found out the Y opened at 1 on Sundays (I was used to the Y in PA that opened at something like 7) so I started my collection of exercise DVD’s mainly because I didn’t want to have to wait until 1 to use the gym. When Covid hit I was so grateful that I had those DVD’s.

Lisa – when someone asks me “how are you doing”, I usually answer “fine, thank you. Thanks for asking. How are you today”

Well, Jess came while I was on my walk. Looks like we’re going to Red Lobster for dinner

Went to dinner at Red Lobster. I had the salmon, flounder (both broiled, I forgot to get the flounder blackened), plain baked potato and broccoli, just water to drink.

No work tomorrow so I get to exercise (yea). The plan is to do a Firm Cardio Sculpt Blaster and a Jackie Xtreme Toning DVDs. Hopefully, then I can go for a walk

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    Oo
  • Whidislander
    exermom wrote: »
    Just worked. Found out that one of the managers is leaving, today is her last day. For some reason, and I really don’t know why, she was never my favorite. Maybe it’s because, to me, she always had to be right. Not exactly the brightest crayon in the box.

Also, she was hot and cold. One day, as nice as can be. The next day, on the warpath.

The leak at BK wasn’t bad at all today. Well, that’s because I was prepared. Whenever you’re prepared, nothing happens. Like if I take an umbrella somewhere, I can usually be guaranteed that it won’t rain….lol Cheap insurance….lol The manager who is leaving said that she talked to the store manager and that I can’t do the prep in the other sink because of cross contamination. The store manager told me that she’d like for me to do the prep at the prep sink, but if water is getting into the food, she was OK with me doing it elsewhere. I didn’t tell that manager this, tho. Cross contamination has to do with food, but I didn’t tell her that. I told her “there’s water on the floor”, she told me that was because she just spilled some water over there. I know that wasn’t the fact. So I just said “well, maybe it’s fixed”. I bet any amount of money it’s coming from the a/c and since they probably don’t have the a/c on today, the drip wasn’t bad at all. I did wish her well in all she does. I don’t know why she rubbed me the wrong way.

Rebecca – I never thought of putting Old Bay in with tuna but I bet it tastes really good. Gotta try it next time I have tuna

Making rice in the IP right now for Vince for dinner either tonight or tomorrow (or Monday).

Jess said she’s coming but she has to leave tonight because she has something to do at the school tomorrow. Personally, I can’t see why she would drive 5 hrs to be here for a little over 5 hrs. But if she wants to, so be it. Update: seems that Colby needed to use Vince’s mitre box (is that what it’s called?) and I bet they came for today so he could use it. That’s fine

Lanette – “the health inspector having a field day”. My thought exactly. If the health inspector ever saw that, we’d be closed faster than you can say BK. But, fortunately, it subsided quite a bit today. I think I only felt a few drops on me today and mostly in the morning.

How I miss my water aerobics class! The gym I go to now doesn’t have a pool, unfortunately. See, the water class was at another gym. I knew the gal who is in charge of the gym and she let me take it for free. But since Covid I haven’t been able to go and then they had sign ups and all that. So I don’t think I’ll ever go back (boo)

M – when we first moved to NC and I found out the Y opened at 1 on Sundays (I was used to the Y in PA that opened at something like 7) so I started my collection of exercise DVD’s mainly because I didn’t want to have to wait until 1 to use the gym. When Covid hit I was so grateful that I had those DVD’s.

Lisa – when someone asks me “how are you doing”, I usually answer “fine, thank you. Thanks for asking. How are you today”

Well, Jess came while I was on my walk. Looks like we’re going to Red Lobster for dinner

Went to dinner at Red Lobster. I had the salmon, flounder (both broiled, I forgot to get the flounder blackened), plain baked potato and broccoli, just water to drink.

No work tomorrow so I get to exercise (yea). The plan is to do a Firm Cardio Sculpt Blaster and a Jackie Xtreme Toning DVDs. Hopefully, then I can go for a walk

Michele NC

Its devine! I also sprinkle it on top of the cheese, it gives it a nice flavor as it melts.😁
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I am watching Halloween Town on TV. My grandson is enjoying the movie.

👻 🎃 👻 🎃
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member

Just curious.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa

First ... here in Australia people don't usually ask, "How are you doing?". Instead, it's "How are you going?" and sounds (to my ear) something like "Hay ya going".

Second ... people in shops, restaurants, etc., ... people I don't know ... don't usually say that. It's usually, "Good morning/afternoon ... would you like to purchase a bag?" or "Good evening, can I bring over some water for the table?"

If someone does happen to say, "Hay ya going", the answer is usually something along the lines of "Yah, good. You?"

For me personally, the Australian exchange works because if I had to say more than about 2-3 words, I'd get them all mixed up ... plus the person would have moved on and be talking to someone else.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    edited October 2022
    Machka good luck with your bees! Hope your neighbors will enjoy them.

Annie in Delaware

There are heaps of bees around this area already. We suspect that there's a natural hive in one or more of the trees in the reserve next to us.

Plus there are so many flowers in bloom. Everybody seems to have flowers and they're always humming. Places in this particular area tend to have gardens rather than lawns, growing flowers, fruit and veggies, so the bees are important for that.

It's great ... and the more bees the better. :)

We haven't got ours yet ... little problem with the queen but it should get sorted this week.

M in Oz