Replies

• 3rdtimelosesit
    3rdtimelosesit Posts: 280 Member
    Starting a few days late but giving this a shot:

October Start Weight: 218 lbs
    October Goal Weight: 213 lbs
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 175 lbs

October 4: 218 lbs
    October 10: 216.1 lbs - I think I like weighing every week as opposed to every day. Less stress about the fluctuations.

I wouldn't weigh every day or every other day. We all know about daily flucuations so why stress ourselves out needlessly. Although I do get upset when I weigh myself the day before official weighin day out of curiousity and find I'm down 2 lbs and then the day of I've gone back up into the gain zone. So frustrating. But it's all part of the journey. We do the best with what the scale gives us.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    Starting a few days late but giving this a shot:

October Start Weight: 218 lbs
    October Goal Weight: 213 lbs
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 175 lbs

October 4: 218 lbs
    October 10: 216.1 lbs - I think I like weighing every week as opposed to every day. Less stress about the fluctuations.

I wouldn't weigh every day or every other day. We all know about daily flucuations so why stress ourselves out needlessly. Although I do get upset when I weigh myself the day before official weighin day out of curiousity and find I'm down 2 lbs and then the day of I've gone back up into the gain zone. So frustrating. But it's all part of the journey. We do the best with what the scale gives us.

If daily weighing causes stress, maybe don't do it. On the other hand, if you understand that there will be daily fluctuations, you can do what I do - I use a spreadsheet and pay more attention to a ten-day rolling average. Better than that, you can use a resource that uses a "weighted moving average" that gives more importance to the most recent weight but also considers the last several days - often ten days.

I can gain or lose many pounds in one day. It goes up and down. Well, lately it's gone up, but I ignore the wild fluctuations to see the real trend. As an example, if I only weighed in one day a week, and if my weigh-in day was Sunday, the last two weeks my daily weight would have been one to three pounds higher than my ten-day average weight.

You can learn more about this in The Hackers Diet, especially the section on "Signal and Noise."

If you can train your brain to ignore the daily number and instead focus on the trend, you'll have better information to work from. With that in mind, weighing multiple times per day is probably NOT a good idea. That's why I weigh first thing in the morning, well second thing in the morning, wearing the same thing - nothing.