KETO

Whose doing keto out here? This is my 9th day and keto flu has well and truly kicked in, main symptoms being not being able to sleep. Any tips advice success stories most welcome

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    Not from personal experience, but I've read that you should really increase your electrolyte intake, specifically salt, to combat keto flu.
  • Hotelsma
    Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
    @Lietchi thank you. I think that’s it. My salt intake has dropped quite a bit
  • Peachez2
    Peachez2 Posts: 11 Member
    I’m resorting Keto, definitely watch your electrolytes. Increase your water intake because the keto lifestyle can cause dehydration. Some people drink pickle juice and say it helps.
  • Hotelsma
    @Peachez2 pickle juice???? What the heck. Thank you lol
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    Well, pickle juice is high in salt as well, so we're back to the 'more electrolyte/salt' solution 🙂
  • brownfox001
    brownfox001 Posts: 2 Member
    Pickle juice definitely helps! :)
  • cosmiccurves
    cosmiccurves Posts: 356 Member
    Broth too!! You can make your own using bouillon cubes or you can buy it, whichever is best for you!
  • Pickle juice and broth? Sounds like torture. Just stick with it (defo up electrolytes) and it'll soon go. I've been keto since January and will never go back. I don't get enormous hanger pangs - like being fuelled on carbs - mental health improved, down 55lbs but now happy with weight and not returning to my old ways.

If you're looking to lose fat then walk. Perfect fat burning zone. Get a dog!

Also, if you're looking to do more resistance training then you can up your protein and still stay in ketosis.

Don't listen to those that keto cycle. I'm healthy as f***. Only thing I take is a multivit and extra Vit D.

Good luck!
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    I’ve been keto for 3 years. Everyone here is giving you great advice. Stick with it don’t give up. It’s the best thing I’ve done for my body.
  • Hotelsma
    @lillypade yup very greatful 🙂
  • janinemarie830
    janinemarie830 Posts: 17 Member
    I've been keto for just 2 weeks. I have resorted to Gatorade zero for my headaches. If anybody wants to be MFP friends to support each other I'd love that!
  • amandaatwork
    amandaatwork Posts: 6 Member
    Do y’all track calories as well as do Keto? Are you running a deficit?
  • Hotelsma
    @janinemarie830 good luck on your journey. Im coming up to 7 weeks with another week and half left.
  • Hotelsma
    @amandaatwork i don’t track them at all but I can say that I probably am in a calorie deficit as during keto I don’t really get hungry at all. Today I decided to test the boundaries of carbs and eat a 5 guys burger. Will test to see in i’m still in Keto, stay tuned lol
  • asugar1390
    asugar1390 Posts: 46 Member
    I have been low carb for one month. It has helped with some long standing health issues . I had popcorn and wine tonight so I’m obviously
    Not being super strict but I think it’s good to have a little fun sometimes too. Once you get that craving thing gone it’s much easier .
  • Hotelsma
    edited October 2022
    @asugar1390 100% with you, I believe it’s called cyclical keto so giving yourself one carb up day maybe can help in the long run as long as you don’t over do it.

I tested myself after my 5 Guys burger and still in keto but will try again in the morning.
  • Izzybella22
    Izzybella22 Posts: 17 Member
    Hi, I started Keto last week and I am down 6lbs. and feeling better. I have type 2 diabetes and my doctor suggested keto. My glucose numbers are improving, and I am hoping for a lower A1C my next checkup is in a month. I am no longer living on carbs; I am slowly making healthier choices. I hope by Christmas it will be a true lifestyle change. I have found great keto recipes on Pinterest and lots of healthy ideas

84103602.png
  • delillolauren
    delillolauren Posts: 35 Member
    I’m trying keto this time around because once I start with carbs, I have a very hard time controlling my eating so I won’t say it’s an *addiction*, but carbs definitely set off my BED.
    Today is day three, and so far so good. I do have an electrolyte supplement, but my salt/potassium seems in check right now.
    If anyone wants to look at my diary and give some pointers, it’s public.

I’m in light ketosis now according to my blood check this morning of 0.6

I do very well with repetitive breakfast/lunch and change it up for dinner.

I am counting calories to stay in deficit and counting total carbs not net.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hotelsma wrote: »
    @Lietchi thank you. I think that’s it. My salt intake has dropped quite a bit

Keto causes electrolyte imbalances due to a substantial flush of water from your body. You need to increase your electrolytes. I've never done, nor would I ever do keto, but you definitely have to up your electrolytes significantly.
  • Hotelsma
    edited October 2022
    @Izzybella22 hay, great start. Good luck in your journey. You can make pretty much make everything on low carb these days. Keep us updated on your progress