WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2022
    Machka —

DH is in the hospital and seems to be doing better. I hope he will be able to move into our apartment so that we can be together.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    zuwbzw8c6ehq.png

Thanks for your comments. They are helpful.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    Kk
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    I’ve struggled terribly keeping up this month. On the plus side my screen time was down 11% last week.

Kelly - One of the suggestions made for us to raise more money for our non-profit nursing home was to open a daycare and have integrated activities.

Burials- Cremations - My parents had a baby a year before me. My paternal grandparents had already bought burial plots so gave those to my parents so they could be buried with their daughter when it was their time.
    When my Dad knew his time was coming he asked us how we felt about cremation. He didn’t feel it was right to put wood in the ground to rot. We agreed as it was his choice. When he passed we couldn’t find an urn that spoke to us that wasn’t wood. We settled on one that was built similar to the jewelry boxes he made my SIL and I. We then buried the urn with our sister. Mom will be cremated and buried their as well.

Dad told us that he didn’t want a funeral or anything, but we discussed it and I finally told him that the funeral is for the living and the loved ones left behind, he could just lay there and we would do everything. He agreed.
    His sisters family was completely destroyed after their deaths and part of it, in my opinion, and at least 3 of their six children was that they didn’t come together as a family to reminisce and say good bye. I didn’t want that to happen to our family.

I haven’t given it a lot of thought yet, I do know I don’t want to be worn, or displayed if I decide to be cremated, but so far I’m leaning towards burial. I like the celebration of Life idea. Currently there is a new thing where the person has an end of life party while they’re still here apparently. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Heather - I was close with my grandparents both sides right up until they passed. My maternal grandmother and I were incredibly close. When used to write letters and talk frequently when I lived away, when I was close we visited 2-3 times a week and talked daily.
    My goal in life is to be half the grandmother she was. My husband told me a bit ago that he was sure she is very proud of the grandmother I am. There may have been tears.

Rebecca - I hope you get relief soon. That’s sounds similar to what my husband has been dealing with off and on for 3 years now. He won’t be pushy to find out what’s wrong though.

Katla - I hope your husband gets to join you soon.

Karen - I am speechless! What a mess, you’re brother is so blessed to have you.

Up to page 43

I’ll try again tomorrow
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    :) P40
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Wednesday -- beautiful day with sea mist in the air.

I was very happy to spend about 3 hours in my garden with bees buzzing round this afternoon. The trench I'm digging is getting closer to being complete. I think the next step will be to fit the "pools".

I'm creating a dry stream. :)

Then we went for a bicycle ride.

31dx7i94m28j.png

Machka in Oz

• Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 424 Member
    Grandmallie: I opened this website and a picture of your dog popped up and then Miles and I such a smile came over me! Really enjoyed the pictures.

Lisa and BarbieCat: As soon as I finish posting, I am going to find the Dan Harris Ted Talk.

Heather: I lose sleep over my son and DIL as well. I hope your son and DIL make the right decision regarding housing. I would hate for them to be house poor and I think you mentioned you don't have a mortgage and they must know this. So think how great it would be if they didn't have one once they retired. My DIL...still in her 20's has grand plans for further schooling and I fear she will get into great debt doing this. I try and stay quiet but I know my son senses my worry.

PipCD34: Hoping the shoulder improves for you with the PT.

DLFK: Praying that this clinical trial helps Destiny.

I have been reading a book for book club that is depressing me. I am almost done and will be relieved when it is finished. I will be caretaking today but am planning a walking/step video for exercise and will cook some ground turkey and put it in cabbage soup to try and lose weight. I started some Christmas shopping yesterday. I have never shopped for a DIL before. I got her a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant and will find 2 more little gifts. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them. My son I got a gift certificate to 2 rounds of golf and I need 2 more little gifts for him. Any ideas for him would be appreciated as well. They are in their 20s and live in a small apartment.

• Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 424 Member
    Wow Karen so much happening! That is sad that your employer paid $500 for a gift that you can't use rather than make a donation. I am glad your brother is doing well as a guest at your house. I hope that birth certificate comes through soon. Emerson and Michelle sound busy, as would be expected at their age and with a young family. I hope your able to help them move the furniture they want, but it may be too much. Your right....you will find a way to do all this....hopefully without spending a fortune. Getting the paints for your brother is great! I arranged a paint night for my son and DIL and myself and I spent around $75 getting the supplies. It was a fun night....but certainly not something I could do regularly!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Morning ladies
    Im over with Miles
    Geesh it goes from good to bad at this house.. Miles woke up at 3:30 this morning and Tracy had to get up with Him and he wouldn't go back in his crib.And then Kyle didn't take Carmine to school so Tracy had to take him down to the bus stop. And come back with a very cranky baby.. Miles is stopped up so he is uncomfortable ,so its prunes for him today...
    He is sleeping now.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    Telemed appointment with the hematologist this morning regarding my iron issues. At least I don't have to go anywhere. I accessed my results online, and they show a number of issues with iron-related tests, such as hemoglobin. I'm not surprised, and I don't think she will be either. I REALLY don't want to have to get three- to four-hour IV iron infusions, but will, of course, if I must. Here's the other late complication of gastric bypass - half of the women who have the surgery become anemic after menopause. I was anemic before I had the surgery, and have struggled with it ever since.

Rosemarie - I'm listening to that TED talk again right now.

Rebecca - woke up thinking about you. Hope it was a better night last night. Please let us know what the doctor has to say when you can.

Katla - thank you for keeping us posted. You and your DH are ever on my mind and in my heart.

Karen - Box breathing helps me a lot when I'm getting wound up.

I see a nap in my future today...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,267 Member
    <3
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 614 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I hope to visit DH today. I am sorry that I was too tired to go with our daughter yesterday.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I hope to visit DH today. I am sorry that I was too tired to go with our daughter yesterday.

I am very glad that your daughter is there to take care of you. Don't forget to take care of yourself and your health as well.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    Ll
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,284 Member
    Allie - I got a chill when I saw that recent photo of Alfie. He looks so much like our wonderful schnoodle Sophie who passed in February, I got teary eyed. He's a special little guy. As is Miles ;)

Karen - what is it with these retirement gift purchasers? I thought your choice of a donation to the Richmond Animal League was a great idea! Hope DB can get his birth certificate no problem.

Rebecca - sending good thoughts your way on your doc visit today. Hope they can find the problem and it's easily fixed. Sure sounds like they need to do more serious testing and I'm sure they will.

Rosemarie - the "low tire" warning light is on permanently in the Subaru. The tire guys said it needs to be replaced to the tune of something like $300 or more. So I put a cat sticker over it so it wouldn't glare at me, lol. I told the tire guys I have another method of checking for low tires - I look at them before I drive the car! The old fashioned way. :D I can tell when a front tire is low from the way the car steers. And I've driven cars with sudden blow outs before. A warning light doesn't help me steer when that happens.

Another bad air quality day today. I planned to get a few things done outside before the monsoons start on Friday, but after a few minutes my eyes and nose start to burn. It seems worse in the afternoon.

Yesterday was the bone density scan/DEXA. While waiting to be called, an older gent - true curmudgeon - came in to get something X-rayed. The receptionist told him he had to wear a mask and he said he didn't want to. She pointed him to some on a table. He got one, said it reminded him of toilet paper, and hooked it over his ears and under his nose, lol.

When I was finished, he also was and we stood out in the parking lot and gabbed for a few minutes. He told me he used to work as a service tech on nuclear imaging equipment in hospitals before he retired. As he told about the job, I envisioned him troubleshooting an outlet that didn't work anymore in DH's shop. And changing out a fluorescent lighting fixture... you know, stuff my DH could do easily. Then he mentioned his wife did this or that and burst my bubble. :p

Anyhow, the x-ray tech remeasured my height. 5' 8 1/2", only down 1/2" from 5'9" height in my 20's. My DH not only lost weight but also lost a few inches in height during his last couple years of life. He started out at 6'2" and we were almost eye to eye as time went on.

Guess it's time to roll.

Make it a wonderful day, ladies!

Lanette B)
    Foggy, smoggy SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Miles slept until 10:15 and I made apple and cinnamon oatmeal for myself,I snuck some to Miles boy did he love that.. I didn't give him to much because he is already stopped up ,dont want to do anymore damage.. he is a happy camper .. had some milk,oatmeal and now is very vocal and be boppin around..