Low Carb Diet

Any good recipe recommendations for a low carb diet? I'm trying to only take 100g of carbs a day....and it is HARD!!!
Tagged:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    Tons of recipes online :)

Also, here is the "Low Carbers Daily Forum" for the focused Group on low carb:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,866 Member
    edited October 2022
    100g's isn't so low really and if someone is on a 1200 calorie diet would represent about 33%. Your protein requirements should trump all other macro's and should represent a static number regardless of how you adjust your carb and fat intake.

From there and if you're not mostly plant based or vegan to get most of your protein from animal sources which leaves the 100g's of carbs to come from actual starchy carbs, which would more than likely make the transition much easier and your still able to eat pretty much, as many above ground vegetable as you want. I would also suggest that you spread out the 100g's of starchy carbs/sugars with a good amount of a protein and vegetables in each meal to lower the glycemic affect and in turn the insulin response, which I'm sure that's why you're thinking of going low carb. Cheers.
  • ginamyrmel
    ginamyrmel Posts: 70 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    You write it's hard. Why do you do low carb then? has your doctor told you to reduce carbs or do you hope for some magic to happen? Do you enjoy eating low carb to start with? Medical reasons aside, there's no reason to eat less carbs when it comes to weightloss. Some people feel happier and fuller on low carbs, others will gnaw the wallpapers off the walls.

Hard? Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Low carb worked for me. It FELT like magic. Currently, I follow a modified Keto lifestyle. You do you. I'll do me.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    edited October 2022
    ginamyrmel wrote: »
    You write it's hard. Why do you do low carb then? has your doctor told you to reduce carbs or do you hope for some magic to happen? Do you enjoy eating low carb to start with? Medical reasons aside, there's no reason to eat less carbs when it comes to weightloss. Some people feel happier and fuller on low carbs, others will gnaw the wallpapers off the walls.

Hard? Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Low carb worked for me. It FELT like magic. Currently, I follow a modified Keto lifestyle. You do you. I'll do me.

“You think this is hard, try being water boarded! That’s hard!"

- Sue Sylvester

Well, *that* was dramatic. LOL. Those questions were valid since so many people new to dieting think there are magic bullets.

Yeah, losing weight can be hard so why torture yourself more by eating low carb if you don't have to or grapefruits or cabbage or doing exercises you don't enjoy?

Also, being fat wasn't especially hard for me. I watched more tv, didn't worry about how much food I was putting in my mouth, and I definitely got injured less. My UC didn't rear it's ugly head until I lost weight either. :)

Edited for Sue Sylvester.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    As @Neanderthin said, a macro-balanced meal is important, in part because it balances the load on various organs. If your plate is half full of non-starchy vegetables (or even fruit, if you lean toward berries) then you can have protein and a small but satisfying starchy serving (potatoes, beans, etc.) and stay within 30 carbs or so per meal. You can. One exception to the above-ground vegetable rule is carrots. They are a fairly low-carb root vegetable, and a filling snack.

If you eat a sweet snack, try to keep added sugars at 5 carbs or less. I like protein bars, which have about 7, but the protein makes it worth it to me.

In general:
    Bananas are high-carb, that is, a medium banana is about 30 carbs.
    Apples and pears are denser in carbs than berries. But about 4 ounces keeps you near 15 carbs or so. And they are filling, which matters.
    Most meat has almost no carbohydrates until you start adding breading. Fried chicken is dismaying. But watch anything marinated that might have honey or a sweet element.
    Read every label and pay attention to serving size.
    Cheese and eggs also have few carbs.
    Greek yogurt gives you lots of bang for your nutritional buck. It was an acquired taste for me, but I've learned to appreciate it. I love a yogurt parfait with layers of yogurt, fruit, and just a drizzle of honey. And granola, but that's high carb, so just a teaspoon. I find yogurt provides the best satiety for me.
    Oatmeal is worth it. But a serving of 40 grams is small.
    Jordan's skinny syrups!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    edited October 2022
    ginamyrmel wrote: »

Ehm.. TO wrote it is and I quote "HARD" without any reference to losing weight but to eating keto. As this is a public forum I'm allowed to ask why. Of course you may also answer but this was not directed towards you as you clearly enjoy this style of eating.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    Google Cambodian beef lok lak. It doesn't need the optional rice. Traditionally served with a fried egg. Pictured here made with chicken breast instead of beef, and served with Cambodian grilled baby corn, but it doesn't neeed the carby side.
    l8779hdb76p9.jpeg
  • StarryNight37
    StarryNight37 Posts: 26 Member
    Hi :)

Everyone is on their own journey, some people don't mind low carb, others struggle. Also, the reason for going low carb is very individual. Do I want to go low carb, not really. Do I have to, yes. (medical)

If you're used to eating carbs freely, cutting back to 100gr a day is tough..but totally doable.
    I think the main thing is to just really pay attention to the counts. Once you get into the groove, you learn what you can swap around to feel more satisfied.

You will likely also decide "what's worth it". I had 6 mini shredded wheat yesterday. For the amount of carb in that, I regretted having it. Pushed my numbers way up and was not very satisfying :(

Hope you're hanging in there. Best of luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    Here's beef lok lak served traditionally, but I forgot to make the standard accompaniment of khymer lime and pepper sauce.
    l0ltcexre20o.jpeg
  • YvonneLaRose
    YvonneLaRose Posts: 9 Member
    Looks very nice and so simple.
    Thank you