Confused

well im probably one of the youngest people on here.I'm 17 and 5'1 and 113.5 pounds.Now i am not overweight but i use to be 105 pounds and just seeing the scale go up and me having a eating out of boredum problem is quite the downer.Ive had a depression disorder most of my life and have no motivation to work out or do anything ...but at one point in time i was working out everyday and eating nothing but healthy foods and i was 105 and very happy at that weight.Im very obsessive with my weight,most likely because i grew up with my mother constantly dieting and worrying about her weight.And i know its the last 10 pounds thats always the hardest to come off.and im stuck here.Anyone have any motivational words or tips how to get these last few pounds off!?

Replies

• well im probably one of the youngest people on here.I'm 17 and 5'1 and 113.5 pounds.Now i am not overweight but i use to be 105 pounds and just seeing the scale go up and me having a eating out of boredum problem is quite the downer.Ive had a depression disorder most of my life and have no motivation to work out or do anything ...but at one point in time i was working out everyday and eating nothing but healthy foods and i was 105 and very happy at that weight.Im very obsessive with my weight,most likely because i grew up with my mother constantly dieting and worrying about her weight.And i know its the last 10 pounds thats always the hardest to come off.and im stuck here.Anyone have any motivational words or tips how to get these last few pounds off!?
  • hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    Start now.

8.5 pounds is a lot easier to lose than 28.5.

What do you want to look like and feel like a year from now?

You have two choices.
  • Hey take a look at this website

http://healingfoodreference.com/index.html

If you're suffering from a form of depression and are looking to get yourself back to the happy-go-lucky person you used to be, try eating the types of food that won't bring you down. On this site you'll find the foods, herb, etc that will help "cure" your depression.

Give it a try...what do you have to lose???
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Once you start workingout again, you will feel so much better.

Start by taking walks when you can... you might have to force yourself but once you begin your walk, you will feel motivated to continue walking.

I hope you take my advice b/c it works for me.

I have 2 little ones so I'm pretty busy but my walks give me so much energy.
  • SugarBearRetired
    SugarBearRetired Posts: 76 Member
    Um, at 17 you might actually still be growing. Don't get too obsessed with it- that's how eating disorders start.
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    I agree that at 17 it is important to learn how to eat properly and regular excersise but don't obess over it I was a compettive figure skater for many years. I had to weigh in every week i became obessed with being thin and i made myself very sick, Once you learn that behaviour it is very hard to unlearn it. It will forever stick in your head. Forget about loosing 1lb or 2lbs right now just focus on being healthy. Your body will thank-you for it when your older.
  • SugarBearRetired
    melissac- I'm glad you posted. I was a competitive gymnast beginning at age 11 through 18. I have been obsessed with my weight my entire life because of it. When it gets ingrained early in life, it's hard to change the thought patterns.
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    SugarBear

I am all for the encouragement that everyone gives each other but i am very disapointed with the many posts of "I lost one pound and gained it back the next day" I don't think it is healthy to be that obsessed with weight. Water retention changes day to day and that effects the numbers on the scale I Think a once a week weigh in is enough to see progress not everyday. Loosing weight is important if you are obese or just plain unhappy with your how you feel in your skin but it shouldn't consume your life.
  • SugarBearRetired
    I agree. I am making sure my daughters both have healthy eating habits and body images. Lucky for them they both got their Dad's "thin" genes!
  • thank you for your replies..yes i am already very obsessed with my weight.And i was diagnosed with depression at a very young age so i don't really know anything other than that.But i refuse to take meds and do want to naturally try curing myself.so i will take a look at some herbs and what not and try to find an affordable one.Another question...does anyone know a good work out plan for someone my age?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here...

Judging by your screen name, I'm going to assume that you're a moderately goth young lady? I have taken up bellydancing over the past few years, and it's done amazing things for both my body (hello....muscular midsection.) and the way I feel about my body. There are some great videos on the market if there's not a class near you. (I could recommend some if you have an interest)

Also, walking is good for everyone, and free.

(please excuse me if I seem like a belly dance missionary).
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Fresh from the grave:
    Here's a book that may be a good reference for you: "Molecules of Emotion" by Candace Pert. This book is awesome and explains a lot about how our physical and chemical makeup can influence or perturb emotions, especially depression. The book is about a lot more topics than that, but it might be helpful.

The other book I am readlng rigt now is called "The Balance Within: the science of connecting health and emotions" by Esther Sternberg. The first part of this book is really technical (and I have a pretty heavy science background). But now I'm in the good part now where I am learning about stress and depression - how the chemistry of your body make those emotions trigger and how we can get the support and change we need to work through it. I have never experienced depression myself, but unfortunately have several people I really love and care for that do have depression. This has helped me a lot.

In everything, be gentle with yourself.
  • I have been belly dancing for years actually...not professionally..but i too classes and have video lessons and do enjoy it. But lately ive been to the point to not wanting to live.But i relize i have to start somewhere.And should most likely force myself to start belly dancing again.And as for the book.It sounds very interesting and like something i would like.Only problem...can't get a job to afford it,due to the multipule piercings and personality disorders i have:P..But i have moving to the city in 3 months for college.I'm hoping to make a fresh start up there.Thank you for your replies
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    FreshFTG:
    Maybe you should see if a local library carries it??? If so, you can check it out for free. Also, Candace Pert has a website that might be helpful: http://www.candacepert.com/. I'm glad I checked on this because it looks like she has a new book that I would like to read.

Hopefully your planned move will be a fresh start for you. Try to focus on the good stuff - whether it be a bird singing, beautiful sunrise or a cold glass of clean pure water. And in all things, be gentle with yourself..... Hugs, Julie