What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Decent rowing weather, so the usual just under 7k, in 2 seat of the quad, with some power 10 (intense interval) segments in there.

The new Garmin setup (VA4 + chest belt) is giving me rational-looking HR graphs. This was a Z2/Z3 day. Rate starts a steep climb when we do a power piece, but drops equally fast at the start of the moderate steady-state rowing in between, so even with decent effort today it didn't go above 80% max. I can clearly see the power pieces (and the water breaks ;) ) in the HR graph.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    easy 30 min walk today, to be followed by an easy paced social ride on the bike path tonight.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Got home from Europe a day late on Saturday (missed a connecting flight on Friday). I dodged being sick the entire cruise but managed to catch the common flu on the way home. I got the flu shot (and the Covid booster) but got cocky on the flight home and didn't wear my mask the entire time. I hate flying!

I'll likely take off until next week. Even though I'm starting to feel better, this is a bad flu. I tested twice (negative) for Covid, but thought I had Covid because I felt so miserable. Take precautions this Fall/Winter!
  • Djproulx
    @Mike, wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope your trip was great!

Rode with some friends on a local bike path last night after dark. Big mistake. Temp was around 42 degrees. Froze my butt off, even with hat/gloves and shoe covers. Will be much better today. Sunny afternoon ride with temps in mid 60s will be more fun.

Last ten days of the gym challenge. Thank goodness. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    Mid-70s F temps and sunny this afternoon, so couldn't resist a casual 21 mile bike ride (10.7mph moving average, mostly Z2, just 7:24 Z3. So lovely! (Next week's forecast, snow and low temps down to 20s F!)

I've declared an end to my group's regularly-scheduled 4x per week rowing for the season, after this week. We might get a rare good day later this month, and get a boat together, but that'll be the exception. Sigh.

@Djproulx, your comments about biking in the 40s seems to validate my choice of stationary biking a couple of times already recently! I admit I'm a weather wimp about biking. Since I don't hit it as hard, and it moves faster even so, it's experientially colder for me than on-water rowing. Safety in the cold is a bigger deal with rowing, though, IMO.

@MikePfirrman: That flu sounds very unpleasant. Feel better soon!
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Kudos! It's nice to have a goal for yourself, just be careful about using those goals to define your self-perception. I'm not as strong as I was ten years ago, but I look better and my joints feel good (most of the time lol). My preferred comparison is who I was a week ago; am I working harder / lifting heavier than a week ago?

I never implied my college era was my goal. I don’t have goals. I only have progress.
  • Djproulx
    @Ann, I agree about the water safety focus in cold water rowing. I used to do quite a bit of Dec/January open water duck hunting, so a similar concern there.

Yesterday, however, was a nice treat. My regular riding partner and I got out for perhaps our last outdoor ride of the season in great conditions. We hit a favorite short ride loop that has some great sections for pushing the pace. Unfortunately, a local law enforcement officer thought we needed to slow down on one stretch and pulled us over when I rolled through a stop sign. (No cars around, but I DID roll through without stopping.) Its safe to say that we won't be riding in summer kit any more this fall.

Last nine days of the gym challenge, so no time to let down my focus on workouts.

aaixn1psuk9n.jpg

drajdu85d4m2.jpeg

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    @Djproulx

I was quite happy when Oregon finally passed the "Idaho Stop" law a few years ago. Cyclists can treat stop signs like yield signs. It's because of our better field of view and generally slow enough speed to react if we have to yield right of way. Some motorists don't think it's fair, and some cyclists don't actually yield. Those cyclists should be cited and fined, but it's such a pleasure to not have to stop when there's nobody there.

I look forward to getting over my fear of cycling again. A motorist failed to yield right of way to ME a couple months ago, and he hit me with his car sending me off the bike and into the street. I'm mostly recovered physically, but I'm still reticent to ride. I'm actually still scared to cross the dang street in a crosswalk.
  • Djproulx
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @Djproulx

I was quite happy when Oregon finally passed the "Idaho Stop" law a few years ago. Cyclists can treat stop signs like yield signs. It's because of our better field of view and generally slow enough speed to react if we have to yield right of way. Some motorists don't think it's fair, and some cyclists don't actually yield. Those cyclists should be cited and fined, but it's such a pleasure to not have to stop when there's nobody there.

I look forward to getting over my fear of cycling again. A motorist failed to yield right of way to ME a couple months ago, and he hit me with his car sending me off the bike and into the street. I'm mostly recovered physically, but I'm still reticent to ride. I'm actually still scared to cross the dang street in a crosswalk.

@mtaratoot - Yikes! That's scary stuff! I'd be very skittish if that happened to me. I've had a couple friends who've had narrow misses, as well as knowing of two deaths among our local cycling community, so I don't take this lightly.

This occurred at a Y shaped rural intersection, where I could see half a mile in all directions, so I didn't feel like I was taking a risk. With that said, I did come out of the saddle as I rolled, then sped up to catch my friend, so I'd guess the officer felt I needed a reminder.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,907 Member
    Y'all make my hour on the elliptical the other day sound positively boring, lol. (It is, of course, but that's a different discussion...)
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    30 minutes of running on the treadmill and 30 minutes of strength training. Worked out chest today.
  • nossmf
    A half-hour 5km jaunt on the elliptical to get the blood flowing before a full-body session in the weight room, starting with deadlifts, always a crowd pleaser.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    My new rollerblades just arrived yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to go out and skate this afternoon but my boys are in a two day soccer tournament and if they win this morning they might be in the finals this afternoon so we'll see.
  • AnnPT77
    Nothing formal Friday or Saturday (though I did go watch a roller derby match in person for the first time ever, with a group of rowing buddies, one of whom is former competitor and current referee). Today, easy-pace stationary bike again, 10k+3' CD, though so-easy pace (about 65% HRmax, 80W) that the 3' was the same pace as the 10k piece. 😆

I recognize that I'm in Winter denial season, so just trying to get some kind of exercise activity in most days in the transition to Winter routine, rather than just sulking and slacking off altogether. We had snow last night when I was driving home, but it didn't stick.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    Saturday
    I booked some climbing training. It was fun, we concentrated on foot work and core tension on overhangs.

Sunday
    I did a 26 mile walk (the thee peaks of Surrey.) It was longer than normal as I decided to go up Box Hill again at the end, which meant I got got just over 3,000 feet ascent (according to Fitbit).

It was foggy at the start.
    368t27ewf3tg.jpg

By 1 or 2, it had cleared up and was quite nice.
    y2vpi28e0gcl.jpg

Sunset was nice.
    pkcne5d570p8.jpg

It was dark when I got to the top of Box Hill for the final time.
    ituq766mgcnr.jpg

• AnnPT77
    Test-drove a 15-minute bodyweight video someone here suggested, then did a short rowing machine workout just to start forcing my unwilling self into Winter, 2 x (2k on, 2' off/CD). As usual, "off" means row out 5 strokes, gulp some water, row easy for the remaining minute or so of the 2'; CD is just easy rowing to drop HR.

Shooting for around 2:30 average split. It took a shockingly high stroke rating (around 24-25 spm) to hit it on the first 2k, and correspondingly shockingly few meters per stroke (<10) . . . at shockingly high HR, too. Second piece was a little better, more like 20spm for a slightly faster split, and around 10-12 meters per stroke. In the last 10-12 strokes before the CD, picked up the pace to around 2:15 at lower-20s spm.

On water, I focus more on blade work and whole boat stuff (synchronization, loosely), and do try to get power on the strokes especially if I'm not in bow (steering takes up brain bandwidth in bow). Machine is technically simpler, focus more on that meters per stroke (faster splits for lower spm) and some basic stroke-cycle mechanics . . . while avoiding going too hard too often from a conditioning/fatigue standpoint.

Ended up with a 2:27.9 average pace for the 2k pieces at 22 spm average, HR hit about 87%, but averaged around 76% (including the row in/out and CD). Yeah, that's slow. What can I say but F 60-69 lwt? 😆
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Elliptical yesterday and today... both sessions 30-40min., at a slower pace. Followed today's session with strength training.

I'm clearly not where I was for stamina, but at least I didn't have a post-workout coughing fit today. Baby steps....
  • nossmf
    Leg Day in the weight room, featuring 20-rep squats for that extra special burn.
  • AnnPT77
    Stationary bike, the usual thing where I go steady state for 10k at whatever intensity seems OK/automatic while I play online games. 😆

Today, 100W average on the 10k, HR hit 83% of max, averaged about 71% max, mostly Z3. 3' CD at 78W to get HR down below 70%.
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 170 Member
    This was mine on Tuesday and my plan for tonight.

Tuesday:
    Warm up 1km run, speed 9km

Chest press, vs goblet squats vs plank.
    4 rounds, 10x 10kg chest press, 10x 15kg dumbbell for squat, 30 second plank.
    Leg press vs RDLs
    4 rounds, 20x 40kg leg press, 8 x 15 dumbbell for RDL

Plate to ceiling x 10 10kg plate
    Dumbbell carry x 2 widths of area (roughly 5m) with 15kg dumbbell
    Crunches x 20
    Leg raises x 15
    45 seconds active recovery on a cross trainer.

Thursday:
    Warm up 3minute row

Leg press v reverse goblet lunch
    4 rounds, 20 x 40kg leg press, 16x 12kg reverse lunge

Cable row
    3 rounds, 12 x 30kg

Leg extensions pairs with squats
    3 rounds, 12 x 20kg, 20 squats

Side raises v over head press
    3 rounds, 10x 5kg dumbbells, 1- x 5kg dumbells