WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,778 Member
    Tracey-- Love what you did outside for chirstmas.
    Kimberly--Welcome, you have some to the right place for friendship and support.
    Lanette--Have you tried painting the ear pieces with clear nail polish. I have done that with watches that I would get a rash from wearing and it worked.
    Karen--Glad things are moving ahead for your brother. Pray all goes well with his new place.
    Heather--Good to hear you made it home safe and settlng back in. Seems I always get sad at the end of the trip, but once home and settle I am fine. Also I am a picture taker and so enjoy them.
    I am really having a tough time with the steriods the doctor gave me for my back. It went out Saturday. Yesterday I did go see the chiroprator and that helped.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,292 Member
    edited November 2022
    Flea ~ I feel so mad at the person who exposed you to Covid. I am sure that your co-workers know what you have been dealing with this past couple of years and I cannot believe how they could be so unthoughtful/uncaring.

Katla ~ Very happy to hear that your husband seem to be on his way to be with you again.

Karen ~ How great that your brother’s situation seems to be turning around and hope it continues to go smoothly. Also, you are to be admired for wisely figuring out what to do with those treats you are given during the holidays. I know this makes the givers and recipients happy. When I was teaching, my son loved all the goodies from students that I brought home during the holidays.

Barbara ~ Your dog training has paid off.

Margaret ~ Prayers for your husband. And, prayers for you as you deal with his moods. I am slowly learning that when my husband gets in one of his “snits” that it is best to just get away from him until he settles down.

Carol in GA
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Flea - I wish I was nearby to bring you soup and take the dog out for you!!! at $25 a pop - I would be out $250, for the 10 folks I do trays for - that is more than the budget for all 34 trays... That is out of my slim budget.

Kim

Well, through a series of crazy events at work, I ended up with a stash of Amazon gift cards, so it was a simple choice this year. I might not do that every year.

And soup sounds amazing. He has to go out in a couple hours, and I requested a medium chai latte. He looked annoyed because that is not his thing, and he's probably worried he'll screw the order up, but really, anything hot at this point would be very nice.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Ok Ladies,

I was a bit shocked at some of your reactions to a gift that takes so much time and love and is given with care.... reject the gift, throw it in the trash, ask the gift giver to not give.... wow. regifting or bringing it to share with the office, neighbors, freezing and eating over time... those make sense to me.

So my question is what do you give to neighbors, friends, and service providers? All my neighbors bring me gifts, and when I was a gardener all my clients gave me a Christmas gift or tip, and even now some of my more regular embroidery clients give me Christmas gifts/tips. If I did not do cookies, I would be out spending far more on gifts to these folks. Last year I ended up with 4 beautiful poinsettias, a couple of starbucks cards, and 6 (ish) bottles of wine. Any one of those cost more than a single tray of cookies, and like Debbie I do customize the trays if I know what one family really likes.

Confused in California - Kim

Kim- I was surprised at that too.
    I have not had anyone tell me no. In fact, I have more people asking for more or even for the recipes on some of them. One friend wants me to come over so I can show her how to make them.

It is like my MIL- we would give her gifts and she would say "You stupid" and I politely said, "No, You say Thank You!!" I was so tired of being called stupid for thinking about her and getting her a gift that I thought she would like.. Now, she does say thank you but says she told us not to buy her anything(ohhh, that is a big trap- don't buy her anything like she said and then she tells everyone that will listen that she didn't get anything)

I am very frugal so shop around for deals- LOVE getting bargains and giving people things they really like but not paying full price for it. Shop all year round-fuzzy socks, cozy blankets, wind chimes for a friend who loves them but get them after summer so on great sale..... I am thinking about these people all year long, finding just the right gift.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Ok Ladies,

I was a bit shocked at some of your reactions to a gift that takes so much time and love and is given with care.... reject the gift, throw it in the trash, ask the gift giver to not give.... wow. regifting or bringing it to share with the office, neighbors, freezing and eating over time... those make sense to me.

So my question is what do you give to neighbors, friends, and service providers? All my neighbors bring me gifts, and when I was a gardener all my clients gave me a Christmas gift or tip, and even now some of my more regular embroidery clients give me Christmas gifts/tips. If I did not do cookies, I would be out spending far more on gifts to these folks. Last year I ended up with 4 beautiful poinsettias, a couple of starbucks cards, and 6 (ish) bottles of wine. Any one of those cost more than a single tray of cookies, and like Debbie I do customize the trays if I know what one family really likes.

Same, Kim. All that work.

I don't bake much, but this year, I am giving everyone $25 Amazon gift cards. Not as personal as a plate of treats, but I don't make anything that special. I do appreciate when others give us things, but it doesn't happen often. When they do, they are eaten over time.

Hubby bought me crackers when he picked up my meds. He is trying. And I agree that I shouldn't be a jerk about being sick, but he also needs to step up, and he thinks he is, but I still feel largely neglected. Or when the dog is ringing her bell to go out, and it is ignored because I'm usually the one to do it. Increases my stress level. A lot.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

HUGS- hope you get better soon. Totally understand about the dh. Mine actually asked me what I had planned for dinner one night when I was sick- seriously- told him he was on his own-he went and got food for himself and I went back to sleep, annoyed
  • dlfk202000
    edited November 2022
    Have my biopsies this afternoon- will be glad when it is over. Not sure if they will just do the four biopsies and take the spot off next time of if they might do all today-hoping for all today.

Son had his phone appointment with his doctor regarding his lab work- liver enzymes are elevated. They will do more tests , including an ultra sound. Trying to figure out why. He didn't mention to the doctor about the energy drinks(which he has now stopped. He was drinking one a day)-doctor only asked about Tylanol and alcohol which he uses rarely.
    Jona is 24yrs old
    Dh, the biggest pessimist goes straight to asking me if I am willing to donate to my son beings he is diabetic and can't. Seriously- they have done one blood test so far and he is going all the way to him needing a transplant. Of course, if he ends up needing one and I am a match(doubt I will be but possible). I commented on him going worse case scanerio(sp?P and he flipped on me because he says I am too optimistic about everything. He is just a realest.

Need to get a few things done then go for a long walk at the wetlands- time for some peace and quiet.
    DH just pulled in the driveway.
    All I have done since I got up was feed the cats(inside, back yard and front yard)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Yeah Karen! You have been a rock. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,099 Member
    edited November 2022
    Kim I also made homemade cookies and homemade items such as wreaths, jewelry, or a knickknack item. We do give our mailman a $25 gift card. He takes good care of us while we are gone from Arizona to Minnesota. Otherwise we only gift to our grandchildren. I also regift food items that I can’t eat because of my diet.

Heather I’m glad you made it back safely! Thanks for including us on your cruise. We had a fantastic time!!

Karen you are so good to your brother!! you will have to take pictures when he gets into his new place, I bet the look on his face will be priceless!

Flea I hope you feel better soon. I just think men are not given the compassion to being a caretaker as women naturally have the mothering instinct. My husband is the biggest baby when he is sick. He does take care of me, but I have to ask.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Thank you for all the kind words.

DH is not getting the medical care he did as before COVID. That is part of the problem. The other as some of you have eluded too is he is selective in the advice he is willing to hear. An example was yesterday when the nurse told him to drink more fluids. He reacted badly because she was telling him what to do. This is what I mean by irrational because she was telling him something that would help him. He treats me the same way when I suggest something because I am not a doctor. Again that is why my new mantra is it is your illness and you will have to figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Hopefully you will find a caregiver who you trust and will follow their advice. Hopefully it will be sound advice that does more good than harm.

The only reason I did not walk away yesterday is I was right in the middle of making my lunch, and I had an appointment to get my car fixed. If something like this happens again I will just drop everything and take myself out to lunch. I was lucky to get the appointment so promptly because we had a big change in weather, and that is when the car shops are inundated. It was a repair that if I continued to drive it without repair engine damage could occur. It was caught in time.

Took DrewB to vet today and her blood work was overall better. She still had one reading that was worrisome. The reading for immature blood cells were too high. Her anemic numbers did improve.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Worked then went to the gym (yea!), then stopped at the Salvation Army. Got this one shirt, not that I needed it but it was only $1.50 so I figured I’d give it a try.

The guy to look at the drain is supposed to be here later. Vince questioned if he might cancel since it’s raining out but I don’t think so. He was recommended by this one gal’s real estate agent, and evidently she would give him business in real well-to-do areas, and I don’t think he wants to lose her recommendations so I do think he’ll keep it

Flea – let’s hope that your bout with COVID is mild. That “friend” is unbelievable!

Heather – I think we had as great a time living your trip with you as you did on that boat! I know I did

Karen – you have done so much for your brother. He deserves it. What a wonderful sister you are!

Kim – if there’s a lot of cookies that I don’t like, I usually give them away. If it’s only a few, then I throw them out. I much prefer to give away something. Of course, I don’t tell the giver that I really don’t like what they made because I know they made it out of love. So I just say “thank you” and then give it away to someone else that’ll really enjoy it (or take it to some workers). To me, it would be rude to just reject the gift. I sort-of can understand asking someone not to give you the cookies, but that happens usually before they are made. We usually give service providers money. Like I am grateful to the mailman, but I really don’t know what he’s interested in and what he likes/doesn’t like. One bad thing is that there are some people (like the guy who delivers our paper) that I would like to give something to but have no idea how to do it. I really prefer to give people something that I made. Unfortunately, Denise doesn’t care at all for something handmade. To me, it is made with love and thoughts of that person as it’s being made.

Lisa – oh, yes, food at the loss of someone. You know that lady who was in hospice that we went to see? I brought her hubby and family a pumpkin gingerbread loaf. And the guy who was in the hospital with a broken hip that was on the Newcomer bowling league? I took him a banana pumpkin loaf. If someone moves into the neighborhood (on my street), they get something. When we first moved into this house, one neighbor brought us sourdough. I hope that infusion helps you

Mary – when Vince is sick, you’d think the world was coming to an end! He shuffles around the house moaning and groaning. But I do have to say that if I’m sick, he does take care of me. Fortunately, I don’t get sick a whole lot.

Got an MD appointment tomorrow. You know, one of those “I just wanted to be sure that you’re still breathing” types of appointments.

Michele NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Well, that guy's wife just called to say that he won't be able to make it since it's "too wet". Honestly, it's really not. In his defense, maybe he's thinking that it's bad.

Seems he can't come until next Mon or Tues. They say that it's hard to find someone to do work, yes it is.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,798 Member
    edited November 2022
    Ok Ladies,

Neighbours don't exchange gifts here. Maybe a card but most of the time not even that.

At my previous place of employment a small group of us who worked closely together would exchange a tiny gift. Maybe 2 or 3 pieces of baked goods or a tiny box of chocolates with 2 or 3 chocolates.

I suspect that where I work now they won't likely do that.

And people rarely bring in baked goods except if there is a Christmas lunch in the office.

Our bee-keeping group and brain injury group will likely have short Christmas get together and people will "bring a plate" (of something to eat), but just a small quantity.

If I have to bring something, I'll likely spend about $5 for a small container of baked goods acquired at the grocery store.

There isn't much exchanging of anything at Christmas.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,798 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Have my biopsies this afternoon- will be glad when it is over. Not sure if they will just do the four biopsies and take the spot off next time of if they might do all today-hoping for all today.

Son had his phone appointment with his doctor regarding his lab work- liver enzymes are elevated. They will do more tests , including an ultra sound. Trying to figure out why. He didn't mention to the doctor about the energy drinks(which he has now stopped. He was drinking one a day)-doctor only asked about Tylanol and alcohol which he uses rarely.
    Jona is 24yrs old
    Dh, the biggest pessimist goes straight to asking me if I am willing to donate to my son beings he is diabetic and can't. Seriously- they have done one blood test so far and he is going all the way to him needing a transplant. Of course, if he ends up needing one and I am a match(doubt I will be but possible). I commented on him going worse case scanerio(sp?P and he flipped on me because he says I am too optimistic about everything. He is just a realest.

Need to get a few things done then go for a long walk at the wetlands- time for some peace and quiet.
    DH just pulled in the driveway.
    All I have done since I got up was feed the cats(inside, back yard and front yard)

All the best on the biopsies. Having just gone through that part, I don't envy you!

M in Oz
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,789 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
  • dlfk202000
    Machka9 wrote: »
    [

All the best on the biopsies. Having just gone through that part, I don't envy you!

M in Oz

After what you talked about/what you went through with yours, I didn't sleep well last night.
    Got there and he decided to just do two spots instead of four so he could stitch them. Not enough room to do four and stitch them the way he would like. The numbing shot was all I felt and it wasn't very bad at all. I am sure when that wears off that it will start hurting but, at least for now, it is not bad. Will take it easy for the evening. Go back Monday to get the stitches out.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,324 Member
    Karen-wonderful news for your brother and you! Regarding the squatty potty video-it is amusing. I will admit physical therapy recommended them to me to help with some of the prolapse issues-they do work!

Lisa-it is too bad we have to jump through all of the hoops for medication, but they are worth it if the medications help.

Lanette-I so remember trying to take care of everything the first summer/fall/winter my husband died (he passed in early July). I swear I wore myself ragged but it was a very good feeling to be able to handle things. I mainly focused on getting things taken care of so things would be easier going forward. After I finished the jobs-I did get rid of some of the "just in case stuff"!

Kim-I buy gifts for my direct staff-usually an ornament of some sort. Sometimes I pass on small crafts I make, but I don't gift a lot of folks (I give hairdresser and larger tip in December). I have no problem regifting something I am given-from cookies to gift cards. When it is given to me, I find it is a good gift if I can pass it on to someone. My work group gave me a DSW gift card. Due to my feet issues, I am limited on what shoes I am getting. I am giving it to my DIL who is thrilled, and I am a happy MIL!

Margaret-my husband had different health issues but would also get very irrational. When he started with his mouth, I would pray to myself "Don't let me say anything unless it will help the situation." Most of the time, I had no thoughts that would help so I was silent. Without me commenting back, he ran out steam. Saved my sanity!

Busy day today but productive. Have fairly busy schedule the rest of the week but most of it is time I have set aside to get projects done.

Feeling a lot like winter this week. Looks like 50's next week. Will wait and cut back roses first week in December.

Gotta go clean up after supper then call and check on a friend.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio