WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Love the grateful list but knew I had to make it easier than going back and forth…
    Grateful:
    1 smell. Damp redwoods
    2 technology. electricity
    3 color. Yellow – the sun
    4 food. Soup
    5 sound. Birds
    6 nature. Ilove it all, gardening, walking, feeling far enough away from the hurry hurry of the city

7 memory. My dad, he died in 1977 and he had a huge impact on me
    8 book. Poems by Robert Service
    9 place. Gualala, CA I love camping there
    10 taste. Sweet – especially ice cream on warm berry pie
    11 holiday. Christmas but sometimes my birthday - I can be in charge of my B-day and Christmas includes potential for too much drama
    12 texture. Cashmere – soft fuzzy
    13 abilities. I am thankful I am resourceful and persistent
    14 sight. My vision has improved as I have aged and I am very grateful
    15 season. Fall is my favorite followed by spring, then winter and last is summer
    16 about your body. I like my hair, it is thick, and is pretty easy to manage.
    17 knowledge.
    18 piece of art.
    19 touch.
    20 who.
    21 song.
    22 story.
    23 tradition.
    24 challenge.
    25 moment this week.
    26 form of expression.
    27 daily use item.
    28 what happen today.
    29 friend/family member.
    30 talent or skill
    So it is interesting to hear different cultural takes on tipping and Christmas giving to trades/service folks. And I appreciate everyone to jumped in to share their ways of gift giving.
    However I also feel sad that no one really read my post and understood I was celebrating getting the cookie giving controlled a bit so it would be more fun, more appropriate. Instead there was a lot of negative talk about giving baked goods, and even making any homemade food to share.
    This is not the first time lately I have felt sad about my interactions here. We have talked about less sharing for reasons of privacy but I am going to do much less sharing as I am feeling that we are losing our attitude of support of one another, and are feeling too comfortable in negative judging.
    Kim in N. California

Kim- I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I totally understood your post and appreciated it. Yes, a few of the comments did come off as a bit rude.
    Please don't stop sharing. A few may not agree but others of us might really enjoy or get something special out of those posts.

For me, making all the candy is not just about the actual candy. No, it isn't good for you but moderation is good- A nice treat once in a while. Shoot- even my dentist office was totally thrilled to get a tray of the treats(I usually don't give to them but I had appointments around when I was making and when I mentioned what we were making, they said to bring some in). My Zumba class was thrilled with the bags last year- a treat after an hour long work out.
    This will be a long weekend spending it with my mom, just her and I, doing something we both love to do, it is about giving something that can't be bought and neither of us has had anyone tell us ,oh, no thanks. They all look forward to it. Yes, each year is more work for me as she slows down but any time with her, no matter how exhausted I am when I go home, it is worth it. I have lowered my expectations on how much she can help and that has helped. I have lowered my expectations with SOOOO many things in my life and that has brought peace to me.
    Yes, I could just do generic gifts but that isn't me.

My zumba class got a small box of treats with one of my home made ornaments on top(left over from the craft fair). They were so happy to get it. Loved the smiles and the thank you's- that is what it is for.

Debbie
    Napa Valley

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    <3Kim I regret anything I said that made you feel bad. You and your mom express your love with homemade goodies. <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,080 Member
    💕
  • dlfk202000
    Rita- yes, that is what mom was on. I never saw the list and didn't realize how much more was on it until you posted. Thank you!!

I understand what you are talking about with the holidays. I sure miss the big family get togethers. At my grandparents house. The house was full of all the cousins, aunts, uncles, and adopted(not legally) family-Anyone that wanted to come over were welcome.
    This year, it looks like I will be at my mom's on Christmas eve. Just her and I. One cousin may come down from Oregon on his way moving back to Wisconsin. Not sure yet.
    Dh will be at his mom's. He will go over to her house Christmas morning and afternoon like he does every single day for the past 5 months. I will be with mom and cook a meal for us.
    My son and his girlfriend may come up. They were going to come up Christmas eve but not sure about that beings there will be no place for them to sleep(room mate is still there and doesn't look like she will be out by then :( )
    Dh said he will come up to see mom the following week, that won't happen beings it is New Years but if he does, it has to be after he goes to his mom's and rush back to go back to her. She is fully capable of getting her own meal once in a while but he chooses to do this.
    I won't see him until I come home Christmas evening. If he is going to be with her all day, I am not planning on going over there after I get back.
    Two years ago she called as we were driving to my parents house- complaining because we were going up, saying we shouldn't go, we should spend it with her because she is older(we usually go to her house first then head up and then go to her again the next evening). That Christmas was the last day I saw my dad. He passed away just days later.
    For the past 30 yrs, Christmas has been the only actual holiday I spent with my parents because of dh/his work/his parents. I refused to give that day up.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,773 Member
    Kim in N California--I enjoyed reading how you are working on the baking gifts for Christmas. I used to do a lot more as the DGC would help. Now I just do for my block and several friends. I understand you not wanting it to be a job, but something you enjoy. I personally feel sad that some people thinks it is ole fashion, doing it brings back lots of positive memories. And long as I enjoy it, I don't care what they do with them, but know they were made with love and enjoyment of the hoildays.
    My back is better, still have pain. Going back to chiropactor this afternoon after work again. It sure helped Monday when I went.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) One of the secrets of adulthood for me is recognizing that what is fun and important for me isn't necessarily fun and important for others and vice versa. When I was going to line dance classes, the only thing that would have kept me away from class was emergency vehicles at my house. I had to recognize that others would skip class because of a need to clean house for company, travel to see a family member, or go to a social event. We are often so different from each other in what we value.

<3 Barbie
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,930 Member
    edited November 2022
    Kim: I did read your post, and admire your expertise as a baker. You do you, and I’m sure the recipients love your personal touch with the cookies, toffee and fudges.
    Christmas cookies are just not a thing in UK. I do think many of us find the temptations of festive food daunting, but please don’t take that as a criticism of your generous soul, which we love and appreciate.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    When is he due for leave, Rebecca? I certainly hope he visits you and apologizes for his lack of communication. Your oldest son though. . . He is so precious and attentive, and your middle son keeps you updated on that darling granddaughter, so you raised them right.

I hope the heat situation gets straightened out.

Its my understanding that he extended so he could ride the ship statewide sometime next year. I wish he would inform me of his plans. I am pretty much guessing at this point. He is an adult and doesn't HAVE to inform me of anything, but still. Once he leaves the ship, he's off the grid so to speak, and that is my fear.😢🙏
    I am blessed to have all three of my sons, but my older two, well I get misty eyed just pondering their caring personalities.💖🙏👍🏻
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,960 Member
    Hello ladies!
    I went to the bank, the Library and the grocery store, so that's done. Now I have a pork loin with carrots to make for dinner. And I have some medical phone calls to make.

I did half my yoga this morning, and my marching. I can't do much yoga on a full belly. I might try more tonight. I really have to stop eating so much.

Annie in Delaware
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    Kim in N. California. I am sorry, I completely sidestepped all cookie conversations, since I don't really do cookies. I will be baking some Christmasy candies or bars, because I am doing it with the new friend met this past month. If its stuff I know I won't eat, it will be sent to sons. My friend has a food sealer so that will be handy! Hugs to you (((🤗🤗🤗))))) because I love ya!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Love the grateful list but knew I had to make it easier than going back and forth…
    Grateful:
    1 smell. Damp redwoods
    2 technology. electricity
    3 color. Yellow – the sun
    4 food. Soup
    5 sound. Birds
    6 nature. Ilove it all, gardening, walking, feeling far enough away from the hurry hurry of the city

7 memory. My dad, he died in 1977 and he had a huge impact on me
    8 book. Poems by Robert Service
    9 place. Gualala, CA I love camping there
    10 taste. Sweet – especially ice cream on warm berry pie
    11 holiday. Christmas but sometimes my birthday - I can be in charge of my B-day and Christmas includes potential for too much drama
    12 texture. Cashmere – soft fuzzy
    13 abilities. I am thankful I am resourceful and persistent
    14 sight. My vision has improved as I have aged and I am very grateful
    15 season. Fall is my favorite followed by spring, then winter and last is summer
    16 about your body. I like my hair, it is thick, and is pretty easy to manage.
    17 knowledge.
    18 piece of art.
    19 touch.
    20 who.
    21 song.
    22 story.
    23 tradition.
    24 challenge.
    25 moment this week.
    26 form of expression.
    27 daily use item.
    28 what happen today.
    29 friend/family member.
    30 talent or skill
    So it is interesting to hear different cultural takes on tipping and Christmas giving to trades/service folks. And I appreciate everyone to jumped in to share their ways of gift giving.
    However I also feel sad that no one really read my post and understood I was celebrating getting the cookie giving controlled a bit so it would be more fun, more appropriate. Instead there was a lot of negative talk about giving baked goods, and even making any homemade food to share.
    This is not the first time lately I have felt sad about my interactions here. We have talked about less sharing for reasons of privacy but I am going to do much less sharing as I am feeling that we are losing our attitude of support of one another, and are feeling too comfortable in negative judging.
    Kim in N. California

I am glad you are finding ways to make things simpler. That has been a goal for me too.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    Back home after my iron infusion. Usually, it's super easy, they set up an IV and it pumps iron glucose into my veins for 15 minutes. They take it all apart and I stay 15 minutes or so to make sure I don't have a reaction.

Unfortunately, every vein they touched rolled on them--it took three tries. Even the third one blew, but she was able to back out and go back in and caught it on the second try. I look like someone beat me with a hammer.

I was fine with the first two, but the last one was in the back of my left hand, and she must have landed on a nerve when it rolled. Burning pain with even the slightest movement. When she asked me if I wanted her to try again, I said, "Good God, no! If it will work, leave it alone." It worked, I survived, but it was seriously no fun.

Luckily, that was my last one for now.

I need a nap.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

I'm so sorry, Lisa. Have they considered putting in a port for you? I am so thankful for my port. Anytime I need an infusion or a heavy blood draw, they use the port.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    [

All the best on the biopsies. Having just gone through that part, I don't envy you!

M in Oz

After what you talked about/what you went through with yours, I didn't sleep well last night.
    Got there and he decided to just do two spots instead of four so he could stitch them. Not enough room to do four and stitch them the way he would like. The numbing shot was all I felt and it wasn't very bad at all. I am sure when that wears off that it will start hurting but, at least for now, it is not bad. Will take it easy for the evening. Go back Monday to get the stitches out.

I'm glad it went well.

I got two very painful numbing shots in my nose with mine. The first went in quite high up and WOW did that hurt. The second wasn't quite as bad. Once they took it was OK.

I got my stitches out after a week.

I think one of the worst parts was that my whole nose swelled up, and I wear glasses so I had headaches every day for the first week or 10 days.

Also the spot has taken ages to heal but that isn't surprising given that it is cancer and that is one of the symptoms. Same with my hip biopsy.

But my third biopsy which was the biggest one was not cancer and it is just about healed.

M in Oz
    What you have had to go through is so much worse than what I had yesterday.
    I am sorry and hope they get it all removed soon so you can totally heal.
    I had the two numbing shots- first one I felt but barely anything with the second.
    No swelling at all (I wear glasses too).
    He did the whole thing with my mask on, just moved it under my nose and some gauze around so they didn't get blood on my mask. Thirty minutes instead of forty-five beings they just did the two spots and not the four.
    This morning it hurts a little when I am up but not too bad.
    I haven't taken the bandage off yet so haven't seen it. I will this evening when I change it.
    I can take a shower tonight(couldn't last night)- just have to gently let the water run on it and pat dry. No rubbing

I was told to leave the bandage on for 48 hours and not to shower for 3 days.

I didn't notice the swelling for the first couple days but I really noticed it when I went back to work and had to stare at a computer screen all day. The headache I got was right between the eyes at the top of my nose.

They used a 4 mm punch on my nose which is a decent sized hole.

3 weeks later the spot is down to about 2 mm and I am still wearing a small bandage during the day at work.

I'm glad yours is going better!

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    Back home after my iron infusion. Usually, it's super easy, they set up an IV and it pumps iron glucose into my veins for 15 minutes. They take it all apart and I stay 15 minutes or so to make sure I don't have a reaction.

Unfortunately, every vein they touched rolled on them--it took three tries. Even the third one blew, but she was able to back out and go back in and caught it on the second try. I look like someone beat me with a hammer.

I was fine with the first two, but the last one was in the back of my left hand, and she must have landed on a nerve when it rolled. Burning pain with even the slightest movement. When she asked me if I wanted her to try again, I said, "Good God, no! If it will work, leave it alone." It worked, I survived, but it was seriously no fun.

Luckily, that was my last one for now.

I need a nap.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa- gentle hugs!!! I hope you don't have to go very often to get that done. Your veins were NOT in the mood to be poked and prodded.
    For me, IV's are the worst part of any procedure that one is needed.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Worked today. Monday the store manager asked me to work Tuesday since the other manager is sick. She said she’d tell me today if she needed me for tomorrow. Honestly, I think she forgot to find out so I’ll text her later to remind her. If I don’t work, the plan is to do Amy Dixon’s Breathless Body DVD

After work went to Aldi. Went to the MD and I’m still alive, then stopped at the Salvation Army.

At ceramics last night, on the radio they were playing Christmas songs. I also heard them in one of the stores. I’m beginning to hate the music. Actually, the next time we go to ceramics, I think I’ll take my headphones and listen to Sirius XM – at least they aren’t playing those Christmas songs….yet Update: even the Salvation Army is playing them! And not the religious ones, either.

Rebecca – that WAS nice of your sister do offer. But sounds like you made the best decision in staying put

Flea – ALWAYS wonderful to hear from you. Glad your breathing is better. Adorable kitty

Kim – personally, I prefer to give a gift that’s homemade (a craft or food). To me, there’s a secret ingredient – love, which is something that you just can’t buy. I’m sorry you are hesitant now to share. I’ll continue to share. I feel...what you see is what you get, if you don’t like what you see, don’t look. I don’t have the time or the inclination to try to looks things up about a person to verify what they said or find out more information about them. If I want to know something, I’ll ask. If someone doesn’t want me to know..they won’t tell me and I respect that. I may not respond to everyone, but I read

Lanette - I never thought about giving a gift card to the mail carrier! What a good suggestion!

I’ll probably go to WalMart Sunday since if you go early, the store is practically empty – everyone is in church. I go on Sat. night so I’m not a heathen….lol That’s also the time to buy gas since there’s usually a line later in the day.

Tina – I so hear you about the exhausting cooking especially when you love to cook. I like to “experiment” but Vince is such a pickey eater. Like for Thanksgiving I’m thinking that I’ll make a pumpkin pie. But only Colby and I will eat it so I’ll have to make an apple pie that Jess and Vince will eat. Then I’ll make M&M cookies (these are basically chocolate chip cookies but using M&M’s instead of the chips) since that’s something that Jess and Vince will eat. Otherwise, I’d have to make 2 different kinds of cookies. What a pain! So I’m stuck with the M&M cookies. I’d like to make gingerbread or snickerdoodles but I know that only Colby and I will eat them

Have to go to the dermatologist tomorrow. Going to have a skin tag removed. I think I’ll casually mention something about how it would be nice if Medicare would pay. Who knows? Maybe it’s big enough that he can get them to. If not, I want it removed since it is big and I’m always afraid it’ll rub up against something and start to bleed. So if I have to pay, I’ll pay

Baking – I know some people like to use that cookie roll stuff and make cookies that way or the cookie dough in a container. But I like to make them from scratch. I think they taste so much better, too. And at least I know what’s going into them, who knows what lab concoction you are putting in your body when you use that premade stuff? Same for buying something from a store...who knows what you’re putting in your body? You KNOW that they’re going to cut corners and use ingredients (like perhaps lard) that aren’t good for you, but are cheaper which increases their profits. To me, my health is more important than their profits.

Well, Newcomer bowling tonight.

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    edited November 2022
    Machka9

yours was a lot bigger than mine- two spots on my nose were each just 2mm is what he said. He doesn't think it is anything to worry about, just doing it to be sure, because it has come back twice after being froze off. Still haven't taken the bandage off to see it. Very little pain this afternoon. Did an hour walk at the wetlands at a good pace and no pain.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Evening ladies
    Well im home ,back from the pediatrician with Tracy and Miles..he has gained 3 1/2 lbs so he is 22 lbs 7 oz and 29 inches long.
    He got his flu shot,but we were smart and I had Ms Rachel on my phone ( childrens program on Youtube) so he started to tear up when he got the shot and then ,nothing amazing what distraction can do..
    Kim please keep posting..oh yes when i was working at the dental office we would get treats from all the suppliers and some paitents
    And I sure do miss the big family parties..
    Once the elders pass .it sort of takes the air out of the balloon and its never the way it was.. but boy do I have wonderful memories!!