What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,883 Member
    Pull day: pullups, BB rows, BB shrugs, machine rows, preacher curls, DB side bends, side planks
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Getting down to the last 3 days of the 7 week gym challenge. Its been a grind, so I'm ready for it to end. Five days of strength work planned with my trainer this week to finish the challenge, but I switched up my cardio routine yesterday and substituted a couple hours of chasing pheasants for my normal boring treadmill runs. (score: Game Birds= 1, Dave= 0)

After Saturday's contest end, I'll return to easy off season base work in the pool, plus indoor Zwift sessions and easy runs.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2022
    Today was the first cardio in roughly 3 weeks. Had the ten days off for vacation and 12 more for the flu. Started easy -- 30 minutes on the treadmill at an easy pace @ 15% incline. Then just did a really easy 30 minutes on the Assault Bike.

I have my energy back but a residual cough. Other than that, I feel fine finally.

I'm going to lift tonight, but not nearly my normal lift. I might do 3 sets of 30 (times 3 body parts) instead of my normal 5 sets. Going to be sore, I'm sure.
  • nossmf
    Work got called off early due to a snow storm, so I got to do a double workout:
    Cardio: 5km elliptical hills
    Strength: Push day, featuring bench press
  • MikePfirrman
    Rowed around 6K out on the deck. Absolutely gorgeous day. Was easy paced, but my HR didn't act at all like it was. HR hit 172. HR should have been maxed out around 145 for the pace I was going, but that's what you get going on vacation and then getting the flu!

Didn't feel as hard as the HR said it was. And I really enjoyed the beautiful day. So did my dogs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD) on the rowing machine, intentionally backing off the pace a little to aim for somewhere in the 2:30s. Ended up with 2:33.8@21spm, 2:32.6@18, 2:31.5@18.

Working on various technical details, and watching the force curve (my favorite display); ended up reducing the spm to keep the intensity down as some technical adjustments improved output a tiny bit. Garmin thinks 660 total strokes (including the row in/out and CD) which seems OK. Mostly Z3, couple minutes Z4 (drift, mostly), HR topped out at about 82% HRmax.

Then I ran through a couple sets of very light dumbbell stuff, just to go through the motions and see how it felt. OK, just to start talking myself into the necessity of Winter lifting. ;) Bench press, overhead press, tricep extension, bicep curls, and some horrific form woodchoppers (must review instructions!). I think that was all. Some annoying hints of returning shoulder nerve impingement, need to pull out my PT exercises. 😐
  • AnnPT77
    Stationary bike, 10k (at moderate pace, peak at 78% HRmax, 101W avg) plus 3' CD (down to about 64% HRmax, 66W avg); plus a couple of sets of 25 x light kettlebell swings, just getting the feel back.

Negligibly successful attempt at chin-ups: Can do hangs, don't have much pull. Ugh.

Still just playing at starting some strength work, unlikely to do much until after Christmas.
  • pmileader2
    pmileader2 Posts: 11 Member
    69 yrs young started at 205 lbs and now at 178 lbs. Goal for me is 170 lbs. For a very large bone frame. 48 minute cross country hike upend down hills and narrow trails. Then another 35 minute walk in the neighborhood. Both at about 3.5 mph with dog on lead.
  • mrsxspook
    mrsxspook Posts: 5 Member
    I usually do Shaun T's T 25 workout, but today I just played Just Dance with my 8 year old daughter.
  • nossmf
    Full Body Saturday!

5km elliptical hills
    Weights featuring deadlifts
    30 minute walk with dog
    30 minutes shovel snow / chip ice
  • MikePfirrman
    Tried to go back to my "normal" Monday today. 5 sets of 3 body part compound exercises -- 30 reps. Got to four and was happy with that.

Then, it's harder interval day, so I did a 2K, rested 2 minutes and did another 1.5K. Goal was don't be stupid and don't die! I accomplished both!

Finished with 30 minutes easy on the Assault Bike.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 978 Member
    edited November 2022
    Tuesday last week I went climbing. I went to City Bouldering, which is the nearest to my office, and got two v4s. It's pretty solid by my (admittedly low) standards.

Thursday I went climbing, back to my usual gym. It was good, I got a couple of 6Cs, and fell off the final move of quite a few.

Saturday and Sunday I went scuba diving this weekend. It was good; we were learning to use a stage bottle of rich gas to lower decompression times. We nearly finished the course, but have one dive left. It's a slightly odd course, allowing to put 50% or 80% oxygen in the stage, but only allowing switching onto it from 10m or higher. (More standard is 21m if you're using 50%, as that gives a PPO2 of 1.6 bar, which is considered safe. 10m is a PPO2 of 1 bar on 50%, which is way below the safe maximum, so safe, but means you spend longer in the water).

Monday Climbing, 2 hours. A decent session, I got some reasonably hard climbs.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Finished the gym challenge on Saturday, so now back to the typical off season stuff. Lots of brush busting hikes following the dog as we search for pheasants. So far, the birds are winning. ;) I'll enjoy a deep tissue massage as a birthday gift today, then an outdoor bike ride tomorrow if temps go as expected.

I've signed up for two races next year: First is the Escape The Cape Olympic triathlon in Cape May next June, then the Ironman Musselman 70.3 race in July. I'm not planning to do a full IM next year, so there's no need to start my base building phase until January. The next six weeks will be a stretch of casual exercise only.
  • lingior123
    lingior123 Posts: 1 Member
    sydney cummings on youtube provides a great workout every day.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited November 2022
    Did an hour of Steady State yesterday -- 30 on the LateralX and then 30 (easier) on the Assault Bike. Just easing back into the routine, listening to the body.

Told my rowing group this might be the first month I miss the monthly challenges in quite a while. A few of them are joking around, accusing me of getting the flu to avoid doing the timed workouts, LOL.
  • AnnPT77
    Squeezed in an easy-ish stationary bike ride, the usual sort of thing, just before my osteopath appointment. I don't like to do workouts after those appointments on the same day, so I'm done for today. 90W average in the 10k piece, 80W in the 3' CD, all Z3 and below.

Concept 2 Holiday Challenge starts tomorrow. We'll see.
  • seatomfly
    seatomfly Posts: 13 Member
    4.1 mile run at a 9:17 mile pace.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 978 Member
    edited November 2022
    I went climbing for 2 hours. It 2as really good fun, I got around three of my projects. I was climbing pretty well.

Some of the beginners asked me for the beta on sone if their projects. I did my best (I went up them all) but I'm not sure I found the easiest routes. One involved a dyno to a hard mantle followed by a knee bar. I'm pretty sure there should have been an easy way up.
  • AnnPT77
    Increasing duration a little now going forward, plus looking ahead to repetition for the next month (maybe), so keeping things pretty easy intensity.

Today, 8147m rowing machine, structured as 1k on + 2' off, 2 x (2k on + 2' off), 2k on + 3' CD.

In the first piece, just tried to settle on a combination of factors (spm, split, m/stroke) that would keep HR around 140 bpm (around 78% max, under 70% reserve), and at 10m/stroke or more. After the first 1k (experimenting), that turned out to be about 19-20 spm, 2:32-2:35 split. Average over all the pieces was 2:33.6/20spm. The 1147m was row in/out and CD.

Tentatively planning to alternate RowErg, BikeErg for the next month. I'll see how it goes.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    edited November 2022
    Today was leg day.

Started with cardio as I do every day.
    32 minutes on the spin bike, 9.7 miles
    21 minutes walking on the treadmill.

Super Set, 5 sets
    Goblet squats, with a drop set for the last set
    Landmine twists

Super Set, 5 sets
    Sumo Deadlifts