WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited November 2022
    I've ordered some warm slipper-booties from Amazon. My feet get cold, even when the rest of me is warm. I wear light socks in bed almost all year. Almost never go sockless. It has to be about 85°. :p
    I hope they do the trick. They were on Black Friday offer. Arriving Wednesday.

I ordered some new Christmas table artificial flowers last week and they arrived today. I'm relieved to see they look pretty good as they are expensive! I will post a photo tomorrow as the white colour doesn't come out well in artificial light. I wanted something Christmassy, but not gaudy. I like this. It can stay on my dining table after the New Year until my snowdrops come out of the garage. :D I do have an amaryllis for the windowsill, which comes out of storage in December when my chrysanthemums go away.

Frittata was terrific. AF beer. It was so huge that we only ate half, so I have the other half for a really quick dinner tomorrow when we get back from picking up Bea.

I'm fed up with all the sports disrupting my TV. We've had loads of World Cups of every kind, even snooker, and now it is the soccer. Grrrr! At least England won their first game. Nothing decent on. On Mondays DH likes to watch the quizzes. I humour him and join in.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Rita- yup there not fun,but here I am as this is where my kids are...
    I was up most of the night in the bathroom..so Miles and I took a morning nap and I am going to take a little one now.. then I will be dropping Alfie off at Tom and Elenas so he has vacation time over there..he loves it..
    I am mostly packed for the trip i just have to get gas and vacuum the car.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,295 Member
    I made biscuits from scratch for the first time today. This was after I made cornbread from scratch. Boiled an already cooked turkey breast in a large post of water until all the meat fell off the bone. This was all done to get ready to make Southern Cornbread/Biscuit dressing for TD. :) I've decided I don't even like turkey but I love the dressing.

Carol in GA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,780 Member
    Tracey--Sorry to hear of your DSIL's grandmother. Sounds like she left some great memories.
    Machka--Thanks for the youtube on peeling a mango.
    Margaret--Sending lots of big HUGS!! Glad you are ok.
    Beth--WOW!! Please be careful.
    It was a nice weekend. The funeral for my cousin was nice. Then we went into Lincoln and I did a quick stop and picked up some Christmas gifts.
    Diane, the lady staying with us, is getting already to move tomorrow. I sure hope this place works out for her. After she is all moved out I plan to take a day and clean the basement and rearrange things. Move my sewing and crafts down there.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE where our temps are back in the 50's this week. <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Heather, Oh, golly, I am just thinking about what your posts would be like if you had a living daughter. Makes me a little teary. xoxo Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Worked then had bowling. The manager who was out (that’s why I was in Tues and Thurs of last week) is back so, being a nice guy, I said “I won’t be here tomorrow unless you want me”. In the back of my mind I’m thinking “please don’t want me. I want to go to the gym”. So what does she say to me? “Come in tomorrow”. Crap! I have to go for my prolia so I won’t even be able to get to the gym after work. Oh well….. I do hope they are still wanting me to go back to Mon, Wed. Fri and Sat. I liked 4 days, 6 was getting to be a lot

And Jess should be here tomorrow. Not sure what time, tho. Well, if it’s dinner time, I do have something in the freezer that she and Colby can have (and I will make room in the freezer)

Katie – how wonderful! Pretty soon Dave will be right behind you

Lanette – I’ve used that no fire glitter on a dolphin that I made. After it was fired, I used that to make it look like the water. When I told Jess one time “I’m not old enough to have a 38 year old”, she didn’t believe me….imagine that.

Barbara – my dermatologist told me to use this stuff “Aquafor” on the wound and not to use Neosporin. Not sure why. I would think Neosporin would be better to use. It’s still itchy, but not at all like yesterday

Today I put on a shirt that I hadn’t worn in a long time. Vince was there and I said “I just don’t like the way this looks”. He said “is that your way of saying that you’re gaining weight”. I told him “no, it’s my way of saying that the weight is being redistributed”. Mother nature at her finest…….

Heather – HUG

Annie – thanks for the reminder to take my phone off the charger and put it in my pocketbook. Last week, they were playing Christmas music on the radio. I’m so not ready for Christmas music, it isn’t even Thanksgiving for heaven’s sake! So if they have it on tonight and others want to listen, that’s OK. I’ll bring my headphones and listen to Sirius XM

Rita- Oh, how I remember those snows! Glad I moved to NC

Well, ceramics tonight.

Michele NC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    Carol, you made biscuits from scratch for the first time ever today? Are you sure you were raised in Georgia?

I am just kidding you. I said that like I make biscuits from scratch all the time. I do not! My mama and my grandma, on the other hand, had the biscuits in the oven before they got out of their nightgowns in the morning. I cheat with my dressing. I mix equal parts of corn meal and flour with six eggs, oil and buttermilk and bake it like cornbread. Then all I have to do is crumble it, pour in the sauteed onion and celery, and use enough broth to mix it all together.

I battled Kroger today to grocery shop for the first time in 3 weeks and for Thanksgiving. Needless to say I had no trouble using the $20 off if you spend $200 coupon. We are only expecting the kids for Thanksgiving so it will be low key. The rest of the family is afraid we may still be contagious.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,435 Member
    Rebecca, that is so sad about your sister. My mom also has to have bed baths, so I know there are good products out there. Does she have mobility in her space? How does she receive medical care? Does her treatment necessitate a call to social services? In Washington state, I know there is a division for elder abuse. They came to investigate my mother's previous facility. We were traumatized by that place, but she is in a safe place now.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

Yes she has a walker (but she can't stand yet), and a wheelchair, though her place is pretty crowded with things I am not sure how she navigates. She has her son in law carry her to the car for appointments. She is in Oregon state but sometimes I am tempted to call elder abuse. She needs to be at a place that's one story, access to a full bath and kitchen. If she sold her home she could use those funds for a facility where she had her own place, transportation to places, and socially better for her. She will never do that because it would put her eldest daughter, her husband and three kids out on the street. Sadly they are under the illusion that when she passes, they get the house, but the bank will take it.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,435 Member
    1948CWB wrote: »
    I made biscuits from scratch for the first time today. This was after I made cornbread from scratch. Boiled an already cooked turkey breast in a large post of water until all the meat fell off the bone. This was all done to get ready to make Southern Cornbread/Biscuit dressing for TD. :) I've decided I don't even like turkey but I love the dressing.

Carol in GA

Yum! Sounds great! I had to learn how to make biscuits for Lee's Biscuits and gravy meal that his momma made for him. Gravy was interesting as its made from flour. Over the years I stopped making my rue' from flour and butter, and use bacon drippings and flour. Plus I toss my fried up sausage bits in flour and add them to the gravy at the last bit, so it helps to thicken up. Now Lee is happy with a canned gravy mix, but I still have to make the biscuits.👍🏻
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk home to gym- 10.05min, .54mi= 52c
    Strava app = 66c
    PT shoulder exercises at gym- 35.33min, 10 different exercises, 3 sets of 10 each, some ith 5# weights, some with resistance band= 108c
    Walk gym to store then home- 17.56min, .86mi= 98c
    Strava app = 106c
    Walk w/all kids- 1hr 54min 57sec, 23elev, 3.16ap, 100ahr, 136mhr. Chispas walked her 4miles at her fastest pace yet, she went over 3.0 ap, this walk was 3.08ap! Lucy was in the cart. 6.16mi= 658c
    Strava app = 754c

Total cal 916

Tried something different. Haven’t been going to the gym. Instead of going to the gym after walking the kids, we are going to the gym 1st then walk the kids, this way it warms up a bit for them. Lucy is such a champ, she stays in the cart while we walk and doesn’t fight it or try to jump out. Also is so good about allowing me to soak her paw for 15min 2x daily.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Karen - I believe that's why I'm so attached to Edie. When I heard she was a girl I could hardly believe it. Reading my poems today she seems like the embodiment of my projections for Kate's life. If Kate had not died, I would never have had my younger son, and my three grandchildren. I can’t imagine that. <3

DH did not watch his quizzes, he watched Wales play the US in his study. I watched Marie Kondo on Netflix. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    Rebecca, that is so sad about your sister. My mom also has to have bed baths, so I know there are good products out there. Does she have mobility in her space? How does she receive medical care? Does her treatment necessitate a call to social services? In Washington state, I know there is a division for elder abuse. They came to investigate my mother's previous facility. We were traumatized by that place, but she is in a safe place now.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

Yes she has a walker (but she can't stand yet), and a wheelchair, though her place is pretty crowded with things I am not sure how she navigates. She has her son in law carry her to the car for appointments. She is in Oregon state but sometimes I am tempted to call elder abuse. She needs to be at a place that's one story, access to a full bath and kitchen. If she sold her home she could use those funds for a facility where she had her own place, transportation to places, and socially better for her. She will never do that because it would put her eldest daughter, her husband and three kids out on the street. Sadly they are under the illusion that when she passes, they get the house, but the bank will take it.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

That is heartbreaking. Such a complicated situation for all of them.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    edited November 2022
    Well im tucked in and packed sure is lonely without Alfie..but he is enjoying being at Tom and Elenas..
    My kidneys are bothering me so i have the heating pad on ,might pack that to take with.. I did talk to Doris tonight she is giddy as a school girl..and we will have a blast..

hope you feel better and you have a wonderful trip. Take the heating pad- better to have it there and not need it than to get there and really wish you had brought it.- It doesn't take up that much space.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Jess called while we were at ceramics. Yea! She is thinking she’ll have dinner here. More out of my freezer.

I’m thinking that I’ll ask them at BK tomorrow if I can take one of their chicken bags. It’s big and a heavy plastic. I’m thinking that they will let me. I’d like to brine the turkey and I’ve read that there’s something called a brining bag. Well, looking online it’s something like $30. I bet this would work. Am I cheap or am I cheap? About some things I am

Allie – have a blast. I’m with Debbie, take the heating pad.

Michele NC
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 432 Member
    Grandmallie: I hope you have a great time at the Cape! You are pretty active. You do take care of Miles quite a bit!

Heather: Slim and Strong sounds good to me! I am holding my weight but not losing any. I am also not eating vegetables. I think I will start to drink some V-8 vegetable juice in the mornings. I have no appetite really and am not doing much food preparation.

Margaret: Glad you can get out and enjoy lunch with a friend and a cousin!

Viv: Hope your Mom's nosebleeds are better. Car prices really are high!

Lisa: I feel the elliptical helps with balance!

Karen: I hope your brother meets some good folks at his new apartment.

Michele: I hope you get the food processor from your xmas list. It sounds like something you have a track record of using!

Machka9: I hope your able to do your walks!

Ginny: Sounds like Thanksgiving is going to be a nice family time!

Lanette: Right now I am using the elliptical that is standing and I am using the arms. I do take breaks.

Katla: I know you miss Oregon and the hummingbirds! I hope you make some friends at the apartment where you are living and that you are able to be with your DH soon.

Tracey: Good of you to go into work on a day off for the Xmas Party!

I had a to do list printed out for today and tomorrow. Well it was cold and the caregiver had trouble getting his car started so I didn't get out. I had the food for Thanksgiving delivered. There are of course items missing from what I requested. I hope he comes tomorrow and I hope my own car starts as I will be running errands much of the day. I had hoped to go to the gym both Monday and Tuesday but probably will not make it tomorrow either! I am counting carbs now and my DH purchased some protein chips to eat. They are pretty good! I am still drinking coca cola in the mornings! Doing better this evening than I was this morning.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia