Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,594 Member
    Tried the crustless pumpkin pie and am so tickled with it!!!

1 12oz tin evaporated milk
    1 28oz tin pureed pumpkin (my store only had the large tins)
    4 eggs
    2 tbsp cornstarch
    1/2 c maple syrup
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1.5 tsp garam masala (didn't have nutmeg/ginger/ground cloves but this tastes very similar)

Divided it between 7 little ramekins and baked for maybe 1/2 hour at a low temperature...not sure what it is in real world numbers because my oven doesn't follow those rules.

Came out firm and delicious and made 7 decent sized servings (181calories each or 1350 for the all (for PAV (and me)))
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,810 Member
    edited November 2022
    Good work on the pumpkin recipe! You and PAV are brave bakers! I’ll bet it works just as well with canned or fresh cooked sweet potatoes.

Using nonfat evaporated milk works just fine and saves some calories. Nonfat evaporated milk is 200 cals per 1 cup (256 grams) while regular evaporated milk is 338 cals for same amount.
  • Yoolypr
    So today is Thanksgiving dinner redux. Only less of it and definitely no cheesy green bean casserole. Too many calories there. And, maybe I’ll get a taste 👅of the pumpkin pie. Hubby has obliterated half of it all by himself.
  • lauriekallis
    He is a man after my heart....sounds like he gets away with this kinda of nonsense though! Lucky devil.
  • Yoolypr
    He is a man after my heart....sounds like he gets away with this kinda of nonsense though! Lucky devil.

Finally tasted 👅 my pumpkin pie today. Hubby had another chunk as did son. It was pretty darn good. And all gone now.
    Hubby is a championship eater. Lock it up or it’s gone which honestly is helpful for me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited November 2022
    Hey this sounds in the awesome category! Same here... we only do the large cans of pumpkin... and not cheap either. no pumpkin for a few days. hopefully I will remember to try again when the time is there. I mean it only takes a few minutes... but still. it is the whole "mindset". and a bit of cleanup because I'm mr neat :lol: oh-m-gee :lol: with an extra :lol: *

*if anyone knows me in real life... I'm so so sorry for hurting you with the outrageousness of my "neat" statement!
  • lauriekallis
    PAV you are just "neat" as in cool...you don't need to be "neat" as in tidy. One man cannot be everything!
  • PAV8888
    Laurie (and I do wonder how Garfield in coping out in England)... I have a Garfield postcard on my fridge that says: "I am not messy, I am organisationally challenged"
  • Yoolypr
    As long as messy isn’t part of hoarding.... Hubby has quite a messy streak for a scientist. His excuse is if it’s in a file or drawer he can’t find it. All pertinent things must be on permanent visible display - tables, shelves, the floor. This is why his mess is confined to one room, his office. Outside that room, I’ll clean and toss freely. Oh and part of the deal is I don’t go there and won’t do any maintenance cleaning. It’s all his! The rest of the house is tidy and organized! Although he likes neat and clean his brain doesn’t function that way when he’s working.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited November 2022
    Hello gang, hope you are doing all ok!
    Went to the village this weekend, and came back...five pounds heavier!

The culprit (together with our new wine which is incredible this year) is this:

O5sDUDu.jpg

Slow cooked ram with fries, salad and fresh goat cheese.
    Man, that was something!
  • PAV8888
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    His excuse is if it’s in a file or drawer he can’t find it. All pertinent things must be on permanent visible display - tables, shelves, the floor.

You know... the more I head about this sainted man, the more I am impressed:
    --shops for sales! :love:
    --eats and doesn't gain weight! :astonished:
    --AND recognizes that if it is not visible it ain't there!!! :love:
  • PAV8888
    @Dante_80 you are an almost evil man and your village a terrible terrible jealousy generator! :heartbreak:
  • Yoolypr
    Dante is indeed evil. 😈 At least he didn’t escape without retribution. I see him dipping those fries into the gravy!

One day PAV, you will get to meet your other father.

I’m still struggling with the whole thanksgiving damage. Lots of salt - and food too. I need to reel it in because there’s cookie baking and holiday parties waiting in the future. Today I think it’s some Costco salmon Pattie’s and salad.
  • lauriekallis
    Your picture and post made me smile, Dante. It is all so very real and extraordinary. Every food image you post is of real food. I look at it and understand the ingredients and how they come together.

Sometimes living in this world I'm uncertain about what is the original/what is the imitation.

Slow cooked ram. Love it (despite being a vegetarian :) ) In today's world where the reality of gender is in question (and I'm not concerned with anyone choosing to live in any way they desire - so long as no one is hurt and I am not persecuted for letting a pronoun slip) it really helps bring me back to the solid ground to read this description.
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2022
    I don't know about real vs fake... but I do know about eggs! :smiley:

About 500 Cal...
    eggs (about 150g -- can lighten cal by subbing in egg whites for whole eggs)
    unsweetened almond milk equal to eggs in weight
    small amount of sharp cheese (18g gorgonzola for example)
    cubed bread-like substance to the tune of about 100g
    spray small non stick pan or ceramic oven square thingy that I like :lol: with one or two grams!

Mix and match and let sit for a bit for the bread to absorb. Then either bake in oven uncovered at about 350F, or pan fry covered with lid, starting at a mid-high temp and then lowering for most of the cook time.

Quite tasty and filling!
  • lauriekallis
    Sounds good - I like doing something similar but with tortilla chips - and perhaps frying rather than baking so they still have a bit of crispness and because I don't have a ceramic oven square thingy that you like :). And sometimes add some black beans just for some extra fibre and protein.

Might just have that today!
  • Yoolypr
    Basically what you’re making PAV is a strata. Kind of like a bread pudding but also can be savory. Take a look at these recipes
    https://www.myrecipes.com/course/breakfast-and-brunch-recipes/best-strata-recipes

You certainly could use egg whites and nut/oat milks. The key is proportion of bread to milk-egg custard mix. Also better if left to soak overnight. And definitely stale or dry bread I’ve used baguettes, challah, even Wonder white bread.
  • PAV8888
    Hey: you're right!!!! :smile: AND I bet you could even go "sweet" and use a bit of pumpkin and pumpking mix!!!! :wink: Gonna have to buy pumpkin again!
  • Yoolypr
    Yup - it’s basically crustless pumpkin pie over bread cubes! Like this https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/pumpkin-bread-pudding/
  • Yoolypr
    Today we’re having cheese manicotti. I defatted it as much as possible. A nice green salad to accompany.

Later today will be some soup and crackers. Or maybe yogurt and cereal. It’s cold today so soup is probably the better option.