60 yrs and up

Replies

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited November 2022
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    About throwing away food. I think many of us here grew up with parents who lived through the depression. Throwing away anything was frowned upon. I can remember having to sit at the kitchen table until I had "cleaned my plate". So I can understand how hard it can be be to throw away food. It was ingrained since chilhood about how bad that was.
    Good point - my parents grew up in the depression followed by rationing & deprivation during WWII in Britain.

My plate is one thing - my fridge is another! Love to have variety in, but have to work hard to figure out how to use it all up sometimes...oh the woes of plenty 😅

I remember along my dieting journey something that stuck with me for those times - to paraphrase "will it go to waste, or go to my waist" and the thought that it's going to waste/waist either way helps me justify tossing.

Love how @AnnPT77 put it:
    Before anyone comments: Yes, I will throw away food in some of these cases (because I am not a trash can for all leftovers, and they are better off discarded or fed to the wild critters hereabouts than added to my hip circumference).
    I will try to remember that sentiment too - I am not a human trash can lol! 😂

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,221 Member
    BCLadybug888 you are right. I love an egg.
    Love your decorations. Will you get snow?

Here in the Vancouver suburbs we usually get a small amount of snow that comes & goes quickly (often overnight and melts/turns to rain the next day). Typically a green Christmas but can get snow in January some years that is more substantial & sticks around. This year I believe it is forecast to be colder & snowier in general - weather has not been typical this year at all so far, so don't know what to expect this winter!!
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    Love this discussion. We just ate a weird frittata hybrid with all the fridge leftovers. It was actually delicious. We dont have to eat our leftovers because we have a beagle, and they really are living dustbins, obviously we don’t give him sugar, alliums or cruciate veg. But he definitely should have had those pancakes and fritters on Saturday!
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    We live in the English Midlands. We typically get 1 or 2 snowy days a year. But fuel bills have gone up hugely here, so there is a gloomy expectation of really cold weather.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,817 Member
    @sandramarshall200 I have plain Greek yoghurt, frozen berries (thawed, of course), and a bit of stevia, just about every day for breakfast. My "treat" is porridge, also with berries, and a bit less yoghurt. Sometimes in the summer I'll make a smoothie with berries, some yoghurt, and almond milk. Do you sense a theme? haha My go-to breakfast if we're eating out is eggs Benny. I read the BBC News daily and feel terrible for the heating situation in the UK. Know that I'm sending warm thoughts your way. I won't send you my temps though.....it's -17C this morning with light snow falling.❄️☃️

I hear everyone on the food waste issue. My parents lived through the war in England and were horrified if anything was wasted. When my kids were growing up we had a dog with an absolute cast iron stomach. She ate every suitable leftover and lived a healthy life till she was 16. I have to be choosier with the leftovers that go to my current dogs so yes, I now struggle with throwing food away. To be honest, it doesn't happen very often though because I tend to cook either enough for just the two of us, or if it's something like chili, then I cook enough to put another meal in the freezer.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @ridiculous59. I hear you on cooking just enough or freezing food. I try to do the same thing.
  • Pdc654
    Great plan @momzilla11. With your planning and consistency I'm sure you'll get there!
  • ridiculous59
    edited November 2022
    @momzilla11 .....and when I get dressed I put on my walking shoes which for me sets my intention for the day and my commitment to my plan...

Good job!! In Chris Crowley's book Thinner This Year he basically says this exact same thing. He suggests that when you get dressed in the morning, put on your workout clothes. Then you're halfway there so chances are you will end up doing something. Of course, this only works for us retired folks! But it's what I do. I wear sweats or yoga pants, and a t-shirt around the house. Then I'm all set if I want to do some weights, hop on my elliptical, do a YouTube exercise video, or do some yoga. The decision to move is already half-made. And I get changed when I need to leave the house. See the difference? Instead of wearing "street clothes" and getting changed to exercise, I wear exercise clothes and get changed to go out. Oh, and if we haven't gone for a hike, walk, ski, or snowshoe by 1 o'clock, one of my dogs starts pawing at me. Another external cue to move!
  • momzilla11
    momzilla11 Posts: 50 Member
    "The decision to move is already half-made. And I get changed when I need to leave the house. See the difference? Instead of wearing "street clothes" and getting changed to exercise, I wear exercise clothes and get changed to go out."

Great way of saying it! For me it's a powerful way to reinforce what my priorities are.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,802 Member
    Yes! After being all things to all people, I finally have time to be good to myself. The surprise is that what goes around, comes around. People are kinder to me when I’m kinder to myself.
  • ridiculous59
    Oh my goodness!!! You have hit the nail on the head. We have "met all expectations". We have been good mothers/fathers, wives/husbands sisters/brothers, daughters/sons. We have cared for our families, volunteered for organizations that our kids were involved in, supported our spouses, and been good employees even when we had way too many things going on at home.

Don't get me wrong......I'd do most of it all over again and I dearly love my adult children and my husband. But finally, I can dedicate some time to ME. I can volunteer for things that are meaningful to ME. I have time to read books, have relaxed coffee with friends, and go for walks. I can even buy the groceries that I like! It's a whole new season in my life and I'm loving it.

So as for weightloss, exercise, and my health, it makes me think of that quote "If not now, when?".
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Yes! Yes! And Yes!!!!!
  • momzilla11
    momzilla11 Posts: 50 Member
    "So as for weightloss, exercise, and my health, it makes me think of that quote "If not now, when?". "

And relatedly, "If not me, then who?"

Because no one is coming along to rescue me from the accumulated health consequences of my actions/neglect. I have to do it for myself or it won't get done.

Which is why many times I say out loud to my dog as we gear up to go walk in the windy cold: these pounds aren't going to walk themselves off!
  • Pdc654
    I am so in agreement with all of you. I, too, have found weight loss easier now at age 70 than when I was younger! So true when you say retirement makes it easier. Less stress, no more long hours working. Caregiver responsibilities for children and then elderly parents no longer take up our time! Time to concentrate on my health and well-being now.