Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    Yooly I'm not sure I need to find extra things to eat! 🙀
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,813 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yooly I'm not sure I need to find extra things to eat! 🙀
    Perhaps consider it NEW things to eat that are better? Life is a learning experience after all.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    Sirloin Steak. Rare, pan-seared. Cauliflower mash with butter, sour cream and chives. Probably a Jello (black cherry or lime) for dessert.
  • Tonight my partners are having enchiladas filled with pulled beef and beans. I don't know yet what I am having. It will depend on what happens at the dentist this afternoon regarding my upper left second molar, which has a hole in it. Worst case scenario, I'm having a slurry of pureed pot roast and bread roll soaked in beef broth. Best case I'm having a taco salad. We'll see.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    I like the sound of that cauliflower mash, Nic!

Hope it goes well at the dentist, Alexandra.
  • lauriekallis
    Here's to some quick healing, Alexandra. Chewing is indeed very satisfying.
  • PAV8888
    Yikes! I'm running away and heading to the bathromm brush my teeth... not sure why!!!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    First time I encounter cheese manicotti. Could you share the recipe, it sounds delicious!!

Grilled some chicken today, and threw in some veggies for good measure.

0K1nFvr.jpg

MagNqgX.jpg

• Yoolypr
    I don’t know- your meal looks better and less fussy than cheese spinach manicotti. But sometimes the Italian hubby needs a pasta fix.

Light and Easy Manicotti Recipe
    5vjxab3sh9hy.jpeg
    This tubular stuffed pasta is cooked al dente and filled with a light ricotta, mozzarella, and spinach filling.

Ingredients
    1 1.2 cups light pasta sauce
    12 manicotti noodles, dry
    1 3/4 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
    1 10-oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    1 egg white
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese

Instructions

*Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Pour ½ cup of the sauce on the bottom of the dish and set aside.
    *Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the manicotti according to package directions to al dente.
    *In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese, egg white, garlic powder, dried basil, and dried oregano.
    *Scoop the cheese mixture into a gallon-sized resealable bag and cut the tip off the corner to easily fill the manicotti noodles.
    *Gently fill each manicotti noodle evenly with the cheese mixture. This is easily done by filling one end of each manicotti halfway, then filling the other end. Line them in the prepared baking dish.
    *Cover the filled manicotti with the remaining 1 cup of pasta sauce. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
    *Uncover and top with the mozzarella cheese, then bake until the cheese is melted, an additional 5 minutes.

Nutrition
    Calories: 257kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 452mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g

Sent from my iPad
  • Dante_80
    edited December 2022
    Many, many thanks for sharing! Will give this a try sometime and let you know..I can easily find Cannelloni and Paccheri here in Athens, but will have to hunt down some Manicotti, since I don't see them anywhere. <3
  • Yoolypr
    Manicotti shells are slightly larger than cannelloni. I’ve used this filling for jumbo pasta shells. An alternative is to simply layer the filling with regular par boiled lasagna.
    Certainly cannelloni shells would work.
  • PAV8888
    Nothing as exciting over here! Loads of veggies (yellow and orange carrots and green beans... 770g) and a jar of classico sauce (garlic onion) so far eaten with a pouch of betty crocker garlic mash (plus extra garlic powder and a bit of curry powder why not)... possibly with rice or cauli rice or ??? later for the rest of it! Greek yogurt + cereal or apple for crunch + cinnamon powder + sweetener has also been in play!
  • Dante_80
    So...since my Uncle slaughtered a ram last week...he was kind enough to give me about 4kg of it too. Should last me for quite some time, I portioned the meat and packed it in my freezer.

So..I tried to make a pot roast batch myself today. Sadly, it did not come out as good as my Aunt's. Well, in my defense I had forgotten to get some star anise and I was also out of cinnamon sticks (they both do wonders for the sauce). Today being Sunday, twas impossible to get some.

I had some whole wheat pasta lying around (two types, small amounts), so I combined them to accompany the meat. They soaked up all the sauce in the process too.

WoeOZpT.jpg

crU9QE9.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it's still very tasty. But nowhere as fragrant or flavorful as last week. I've got a lot to learn.

• lauriekallis
    I always think it is a good sign that I still have much to learn. Otherwise, maybe there would be no point in continuing living.
  • PAV8888
    You kids amaze! :wink: Made the "attempt" to not over-eat at a brunch get together. Thwarted by portion sizing! Sure I ordered my three eggs poached soft and two slices of sourdough toast dry. But I caved and ordered oatmeal too. And do you think the oatmeal was a "single" portion like McDonald's, Starbucks, or the little oatmeal quick to prepare envelopes? Of course not. We had an eyeball discussion with users of the little envelopes. One guess was FIVE. Another was EIGHT. Personally, I'm eyeballing it at about FOUR possibly FIVE Starbuck portions. I'm crying for the Calories! RAM LOOKS BETTER!!!! :blush:
  • Yoolypr
    An embarrassment of bad choices today. Life was disrupted by having painters about all day. Mostly outside except for work on exterior doors etc. which required opening and allowing time to dry.
    So no formal meal which I could have done. But I copped out and had pimento cheese and crackers, popcorn, a few cookies and so forth all day.
    Tomorrow should be much calmer.......?
  • PAV8888
    discombobulation sucks!
  • lauriekallis
    I pulled some pasta sauce from the freezer today - going to have it over either French cut green beans - or maybe I'll use up some of the alphabet pasta I have from The Boy - extra calories but will be good to have them off the shelf.
  • PAV8888
    Hmmm.... If alphabet not open... maybe food bank?