Downsizers Team Chat - DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• lartishs
    lartishs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I'm new to this challenge.
    I'm from New Zealand (down at the bottom of the world).
    I'm here because I'm so near to goal I can smell it but I've found it's been alot slower losses that you nearly want to chuck the towel in. This is traditionally been a hard month for me with keeping on track with all the sugar about.
    I'm very active with tennis, hill walking the dog and being a massage therapist.
    I have tendencies to binge eat if I'm overly stressed which have been better of late.
    My goals this week
    To stay off sugar crap food.
    Drink 2 litres water
    Be kind to myself ( no nasty girl self talk)

• rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Good evening all.
    Check in:
    Steps - 7902
    Calories - 2700
    Exercise - nope. Back problems. Couldn't even attempt pickleball.

I didn't take food to bed but did eat late and stayed up late. I am counting it as a fail for the night. I am going to bedright after this post tonight so I should refrain from eating.
  • Bigjuicy2point0
    Bigjuicy2point0 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Bigjuicy2point0

PW 293.4
    CW 292.2
    12/5/22
  • jimboden3
    jimboden3 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    JimBoden3
    Weigh-in Day: Monday (Dec 5, 2022)
    PW: 226.8
    CW: 228.8
    SW: 240

Apologies for being a day late - yesterday was a 14 hour workday and everything else fell off the to do list. Not a good week for weight loss but I'm at least a pound lighter today than yesterday so it seems some of this is a temporary blip.

A brief intro ...

1. Tell us a little about yourself? My name is Jim (54) and live in St. Louis, Missouri with my wife Susan - we've been married 26 years and have two adult daughters living in Columbus, OH and Indianapolis, IN with one son in college (The Ohio State University) and our 6' 1" (baby boy) that's a junior in High School. I'm an IT Director with a very large health care company which keeps me very busy. I've suffered from insomnia for most of my life which would be less of an issue if I worked out more but I usually get on the laptop so my goal is to exercise more. We're also big travelers and have taken the kids to all 50 states and DC to visit the capitals and National Parks (40+) along with a few Canadian provinces and Caribbean islands. I've been to Europe and India a dozen+ times for work and hope to go back for vacation some day

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? I wasn't happy with my appearance in in family pictures and got my 'wake up' call after hearing about someone else passing away early due an unhealthy lifestyle. I'm on track to retire early (~ 4 years) and I want to be around for a long time to enjoy retirement and eventually be a grandparent.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? Pizza, Nachos, and Moose Tracks ice cream. I never buy the stuff but my wife does so I try to make sure I eat some fruit or vegetables first to mitigate the risk of eating too much.

4. Do you have a favorite diet you go by? No specific or regimented approach - I just try to eat healthy when I can, and treat myself every now and then. No one is perfect and life is short so eating food shouldn't just be about survival or losing weight all the time.

5. What is your favorite way to workout? Walking, Hiking, weight lifting, rowing machine but I'm still recovering from COVID which finally caught up to me a few weeks ago

6. What are some of your goals this month? Lose 2-3 lbs / month - which I've not achieved (I'm more or less keeping within a range)

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? It's been inspiring to hear about the challenges others are taking on and it helps me realize that I can do this if I put my mind and effort into it.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,485 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    lartishs wrote: »
    @lartishs
    Tuesday
    Pw 63.70kg
    Cw 63.15kg

Fantastic loss!
    tahm42 wrote: »
    @lindamtuck2018
    tahm42
    pw 230.2
    cw 229

Coming back down. Could I move my weigh in to Thursday for the rest of the month starting next week? I am trying to limit my weighing. My trainer thinks getting on the scale daily is too much and I sabotage myself. So my check in with her is Thurs this month. Actually 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, then I start again on the 1st of the month. So in January I will be back on Sunday... I know it is a pain.

Great loss! It’s not a problem at all. Just remind me the end of December to move you back. I have moved away from daily weighing. I have been weighing about 3 times per week.

Weekly weigh in

Morethanjustanumber
    Weigh in day Monday 125

PW 233.8
    CW 234.7

Are you still doing intermittent fasting? I am trying to get back to it myself.

red1185 wrote: »
    Good evening everyone.

PW: 174
    CW: 175.2

The end of the semester is so hard and so stressful…counting down the days and having no energy to do anything. It wreaks havoc on my diet.

Add that stress to me officially looking for a way out of education, so I’m looking for a new job, and dealing with homeowner issues. I’m incredibly stressed. My diet is not good, to put it mildly.

I’ve started a very small part-time job with a vet clinic (I was a vet tech for more than 10 years and started missing it terribly). I reached out to a former coworker who owns her own clinic now with her veterinarian husband. It’s been nice to get back in that environment and earn some money at the same time.

I’ve just got A LOT going on at the moment - which is not doing great things for my diet.

About 2 weeks until Christmas break! Thank goodness!

Boy you do have a lot going on. I totally understand stress and bad diet.

Good evening all...

Steps: 5,323 hit goal today!!

Joyce, you are inspiring me to increase the length of my mini walks.

JaysFan82 wrote: »
    Running is going fantastic. My Runner's Knee has completely disappeared. Been increasing my speed on the treadmill by 0.2 every 2 weeks. I'm up at 5.1 MPH on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I'm gonna top out at 5.5 MPH and then increase my time gradually up to 40 minutes. Should be in fantastic shape to start 5km race season in the spring which is so *kitten* crazy to even think about. Especially this time last year at almost weighing 400 pounds.

This is awesome! Are you still swimming?
  • lindamtuck2018
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hi All
    I'm new to this challenge.
    I'm from New Zealand (down at the bottom of the world).
    I'm here because I'm so near to goal I can smell it but I've found it's been alot slower losses that you nearly want to chuck the towel in. This is traditionally been a hard month for me with keeping on track with all the sugar about.
    I'm very active with tennis, hill walking the dog and being a massage therapist.
    I have tendencies to binge eat if I'm overly stressed which have been better of late.
    My goals this week
    To stay off sugar crap food.
    Drink 2 litres water
    Be kind to myself ( no nasty girl self talk)

I also struggle with binge eating. Stress is one of my biggest triggers along with not sleeping properly. Great goals!

rwood566 wrote: »
    Good evening all.
    Check in:
    Steps - 7902
    Calories - 2700
    Exercise - nope. Back problems. Couldn't even attempt pickleball.

I didn't take food to bed but did eat late and stayed up late. I am counting it as a fail for the night. I am going to bedright after this post tonight so I should refrain from eating.

Late night eating is a hard habit to break. You overall are doing great so you do deserve a pat on the back. Sorry about your back.
    Bigjuicy2point0

PW 293.4
    CW 292.2
    12/5/22

Nice loss!
    jimboden3 wrote: »
    JimBoden3
    Weigh-in Day: Monday (Dec 5, 2022)
    PW: 226.8
    CW: 228.8
    SW: 240

Apologies for being a day late - yesterday was a 14 hour workday and everything else fell off the to do list. Not a good week for weight loss but I'm at least a pound lighter today than yesterday so it seems some of this is a temporary blip.

A brief intro ...

1. Tell us a little about yourself? My name is Jim (54) and live in St. Louis, Missouri with my wife Susan - we've been married 26 years and have two adult daughters living in Columbus, OH and Indianapolis, IN with one son in college (The Ohio State University) and our 6' 1" (baby boy) that's a junior in High School. I'm an IT Director with a very large health care company which keeps me very busy. I've suffered from insomnia for most of my life which would be less of an issue if I worked out more but I usually get on the laptop so my goal is to exercise more. We're also big travelers and have taken the kids to all 50 states and DC to visit the capitals and National Parks (40+) along with a few Canadian provinces and Caribbean islands. I've been to Europe and India a dozen+ times for work and hope to go back for vacation some day

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? I wasn't happy with my appearance in in family pictures and got my 'wake up' call after hearing about someone else passing away early due an unhealthy lifestyle. I'm on track to retire early (~ 4 years) and I want to be around for a long time to enjoy retirement and eventually be a grandparent.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? Pizza, Nachos, and Moose Tracks ice cream. I never buy the stuff but my wife does so I try to make sure I eat some fruit or vegetables first to mitigate the risk of eating too much.

4. Do you have a favorite diet you go by? No specific or regimented approach - I just try to eat healthy when I can, and treat myself every now and then. No one is perfect and life is short so eating food shouldn't just be about survival or losing weight all the time.

5. What is your favorite way to workout? Walking, Hiking, weight lifting, rowing machine but I'm still recovering from COVID which finally caught up to me a few weeks ago

6. What are some of your goals this month? Lose 2-3 lbs / month - which I've not achieved (I'm more or less keeping within a range)

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? It's been inspiring to hear about the challenges others are taking on and it helps me realize that I can do this if I put my mind and effort into it.

Great attitude about dieting.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps: 5.087
    Sleep: ✔️✔️
    Log food: ❌✔️
    Exercise: ✔️

Smashed my step goal. My diabetic check was good in that my A1C is still in the non diabetic range but my cholesterol is still high. I am doing mini walks again today. I am planning on going to the pool Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Thankfully, today I get my injections at noon.

My goals this week are:
    Log food at least 5 days
    Sleep 6.5 hours minimum
    Exercise 3 to 4 days

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,071 Member
    Options
    ywc1ns4p79ar.jpg

Here is my 2nd reminder of the people's steps I need for November week 5 ... Please have them in no later than this evening 12/6 so I can post the results and the Grand Finale in the morning ... Thanks :)

@Jpedno 11/30 - 12/3
    @Bluetail6 11/30 - 12/3
    @chrissyinbloom 11/28 - 12/3
    @MissGYST 11/27 - 12/3
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    @lartishs
    Tuesday
    Pw 63.70kg
    Cw 63.15kg

Fantastic loss!
    tahm42 wrote: »
    @lindamtuck2018
    tahm42
    pw 230.2
    cw 229

Coming back down. Could I move my weigh in to Thursday for the rest of the month starting next week? I am trying to limit my weighing. My trainer thinks getting on the scale daily is too much and I sabotage myself. So my check in with her is Thurs this month. Actually 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, then I start again on the 1st of the month. So in January I will be back on Sunday... I know it is a pain.

Great loss! It’s not a problem at all. Just remind me the end of December to move you back. I have moved away from daily weighing. I have been weighing about 3 times per week.

Weekly weigh in

Morethanjustanumber
    Weigh in day Monday 125

PW 233.8
    CW 234.7

Are you still doing intermittent fasting? I am trying to get back to it myself.

red1185 wrote: »
    Good evening everyone.

PW: 174
    CW: 175.2

The end of the semester is so hard and so stressful…counting down the days and having no energy to do anything. It wreaks havoc on my diet.

Add that stress to me officially looking for a way out of education, so I’m looking for a new job, and dealing with homeowner issues. I’m incredibly stressed. My diet is not good, to put it mildly.

I’ve started a very small part-time job with a vet clinic (I was a vet tech for more than 10 years and started missing it terribly). I reached out to a former coworker who owns her own clinic now with her veterinarian husband. It’s been nice to get back in that environment and earn some money at the same time.

I’ve just got A LOT going on at the moment - which is not doing great things for my diet.

About 2 weeks until Christmas break! Thank goodness!

Boy you do have a lot going on. I totally understand stress and bad diet.

Good evening all...

Steps: 5,323 hit goal today!!

Joyce, you are inspiring me to increase the length of my mini walks.

JaysFan82 wrote: »
    Running is going fantastic. My Runner's Knee has completely disappeared. Been increasing my speed on the treadmill by 0.2 every 2 weeks. I'm up at 5.1 MPH on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I'm gonna top out at 5.5 MPH and then increase my time gradually up to 40 minutes. Should be in fantastic shape to start 5km race season in the spring which is so *kitten* crazy to even think about. Especially this time last year at almost weighing 400 pounds.

This is awesome! Are you still swimming?

Haven't in a while. Once I lost enough weight to handle running I moved to the treadmill
  • chrissyinbloom
    chrissyinbloom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Late Friday weigh in!

Chrissyinbloom
    PW 217.8
    CW 218.0

Now the flu is in my house... Hopefully, we are done with these viruses for the year!
  • chrissyinbloom
    chrissyinbloom Posts: 64 Member
    Options

@Megan_smartiepants1970

Steps

11/28 4162
    11/29 4924
    11/30 4847
    12/1 4530
    12/2 5052
    12/3 3445
    12/4 4002
  • MSWarrior7088
    MSWarrior7088 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good evening all,

Check in:
    Steps - 5,692 ✅
    50 squats ✅

Currently I'm eating low carb keeping my carbs under 50...

Not very hopeful my numbers will drop this week, I'm retaining a little fluid 🙄

• Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    ywc1ns4p79ar.jpg

Here is my 2nd reminder of the people's steps I need for November week 5 ... Please have them in no later than this evening 12/6 so I can post the results and the Grand Finale in the morning ... Thanks :)

@Jpedno 11/30 - 12/3
    @Bluetail6 11/30 - 12/3
    @MissGYST 11/27 - 12/3

11/30 4399
    12/1 8044
    12/2 6024
    12/3 6238
    12/4 5461

Definitely fallen behind on my step goals. Hope next week will be better. Recovering from food poisoning - been a rough two days. My advice— be wary of holiday potlucks!!

• Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

1. Tell us a little about yourself? Where are you from? What are some of your hobbies? Etc.
    I am Jen in beautiful New Mexico. My hobbies are gardening (vegetables and native plants and flowers), exercise classes (bodypump-weights, spin), road-trips with my hubby, hanging out with my cat, archaeology and history. Oh and travel in general and baking (ok, eating).

3. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    So many reasons. My own health issues, and trying to be healthy so I can support my hubby (he had some major health issues last year). But also I just want to look better, feel better about myself, fit in my clothes again!

4. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?
    Road-trips. I know there are ways to deal with it by packing food etc but I’m terrible at it. I love candy and snacks on the road! Also holidays and weekends are hard.

5. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb
    No. Just count calories. I don’t want to feel like I can’t have something in moderation. However, I am vegetarian

6. What is your favourite way to workout?
    I enjoy group workout. Bodypump, spin. But also yoga and I’ve done many half marathons… slowly. Really want to focus on yoga in the coming months.

7. What are some of your goals this month? Year?
    Thinking about 2023… nothing solid yet but I love setting goals…

8. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?
    Just motivation and inspiration

9. Share some words of wisdom with your teammates.
    I never regret working out. When I don’t want to go to the gym I try to remind myself I won’t regret it but if I don’t go I will probably regret that…

• rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Good evening.
    Check in:
    Steps - 9683
    Calories - 2835
    Exercise - none. Back.
    My back is a bit better but still balky. Played 1 game of pickleball, slowly shopped most of the day.
  • Slimmersixties
    Slimmersixties Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hello team, have we had any nsv's lately?
    I'll share mine, after losing 90lb I finally went shopping ! The assistant in the clothes store must of thought I was mad! I started with uk size 20 and kept asking for a smaller size until I got to size 14! The assistant was obviously getting a little irate with me .... until I explained why I didn't know my size, then she was really really helpful! With 11lb to target, that's my new wardrobe started :)
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Late Friday weigh in!

Chrissyinbloom
    PW 217.8
    CW 218.0

Now the flu is in my house... Hopefully, we are done with these viruses for the year!

It feels like the colds, flus, etc. are never ending this year.

Jpedno wrote: »
    ywc1ns4p79ar.jpg

@Jpedno 11/30 - 12/3
    @Bluetail6 11/30 - 12/3
    @MissGYST 11/27 - 12/3

11/30 4399
    12/1 8044
    12/2 6024
    12/3 6238
    12/4 5461

Definitely fallen behind on my step goals. Hope next week will be better. Recovering from food poisoning - been a rough two days. My advice— be wary of holiday potlucks!!

Hope you feel better soon.
    fatfifties wrote: »
    Hello team, have we had any nsv's lately?
    I'll share mine, after losing 90lb I finally went shopping ! The assistant in the clothes store must of thought I was mad! I started with uk size 20 and kept asking for a smaller size until I got to size 14! The assistant was obviously getting a little irate with me .... until I explained why I didn't know my size, then she was really really helpful! With 11lb to target, that's my new wardrobe started :)

Mine is slowly getting back on track.

• lindamtuck2018
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Steps: 3,916
    Sleep: ✔️✔️✔️
    Log food: ❌✔️✔️
    Exercise: ✔️✔️

Steps not as good as Monday. Leg hurt too much to do many mini walks. I am getting nervous about my trip. I am just getting on track so I don’t want this to derail me. There is usually a good selection of food at these resorts. Now the alcohol is another storey.

Heading to the pool once I get the bathrooms clean and a couple of other things. I am going to start with laps and then do strength exercises.

Happy Hump Day!

My goals this week are:
    Log food at least 5 days
    Sleep 6.5 hours minimum
    Exercise 3 to 4 days
This discussion has been closed.