Share Your Day

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    Maybe we are on to something, Yooly. I'm really relieved to read your post because I was thinking that maybe I'm just copping out and looking for excuses. Which maybe I am. But there might be some truth there too.

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Today started with a 5 am gym trip. Luckily it’s only a couple of miles away. It was very foggy this morning!
    There’s all kinds of action around the exterior of our house with painters. House is mostly brick but the eaves, chimney, garage door and trim will get a fresh coat. I know you northerners must be wondering about painting in December but we’re having a week of 80 degree temperatures. Should be all pretty in two three days!
  • Had the problematic tooth pulled, and I feel way much better. I always am surprised when a chronic pain I was just living with eases how very much energy was being sucked up by coping with it.

So today I did Under and Behind in the kitchen, which included moving the fridge out enough to sweep behind it. It's more awkward than anything, and in a U-shaped kitchen, if it's out of its cubbyhole it blocks things off. Also cleaned both bathrooms, and changed the sheets on our bed and washed my light blanket.
    My eldest son unexpectedly stopped by, and he and I settled out some stuff about Christmas plans between us, and I'll email my mom as well. (Email, cause then I have proof of what I said....grr....) He also helped me get the Christmas tree box in, as well as the box of general stuff (stockings, tree skirt, large ornaments stored boxed, etc.) and the ornament box. So now it's all in and when everything settles down tonight or tomorrow I can start to put up the tree.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I had a great time yesterday at the "Senior Center" lunch program ... after the simple and nutritious small lunch we had an activity that was a craft. I learned how to make a yarn 'gnome' ... using a half inch slice of toilet paper roll, a bunch of yarn folded over and tied to create a messy beard, and the toilet roll wrapped in yarn with the loose ends tied up to make a hat, all topped with a small pompom and a pipe cleaner hanger. We used white glue to hold the beard to the hat and also to glue on a big nose made from a round wood bead. I used two tiny beads to make eyes on mine as well. .. so much fun! ...
    ... When I got home I pulled out some yarn and tried my hand at making one without using any glue or pipe cleaner and mine came out cute as well. ... Now I want to make more, but am not really certain what I would do with them ... they are not the sort of decorations my family would display. But I like mine!
    The purple hat is the one I made at home. The other one we just put together from already made hats and beards.
    Sorry .. the pics came out huge, and I don't know how to make them smaller for the page.
    ed0cll671fxk.jpg
    jcmmk1yyf775.jpg

• lauriekallis
    Wow! Look at you guys go :)

Bet your place is looking pretty snazzy, Yooly! It is warm enough to paint outside here today too (42) - not that I am :)

Alexandra - sure sounds as if you have rebounded well from living under the shadow of pain! I've had that sort of experience the past few days myself - but am tied to my desk so am not getting as much from it as you have!

NSK - I LOVE these little guys <3 They are perfect Christmas ornaments. So much better than store bought common as all get out ones (can't say dime a dozen anymore because nothing is a dime a dozen these days!)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Wow crafty lot you lot. And they're good looking ornaments!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I am back among the living!….I am here!….updates to come!
  • Yoolypr
    We missed you Connie! Can’t wait to hear about your latest adventures.

Nsk- I love those little gnomes. Are there any craft fairs in your area? You could surely sell these and make a little extra income next year.
  • nsk1951
    edited December 2022
    Another week with no Scrabble game with my neighbor... this week she's the one who is definitely sick. Last week I called it off because I thought I might be getting sick. There are a lot of bad cold type of symptoms in the apartment building. Better we all stay in and remember to use hand sanitizers, sanitize out door handles, etc. .. of the 36 apartments here on the 4 floors, the majority of us are are in our late 70's through mid 90's. ... and still independent, more or less.

A good day, I think, to practice making bread.
  • lauriekallis
    Smart thinking, NSK. Except the making bread would probably not be smart for me :)
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2022
    Big Hugz to Connie.

I still think the Gnomes are cute.
    AND probably a lot safer to make than fresh bread.
    Baked in the house.
    Where you live.
    While you breathe in the "scent" for hours!

You may want to consider "donating" the bread to other people on your floor... or better yet: people on a different floor.

Pick ones who are LESS able to run around looking for your apartment to retaliate reciprocate!!!!

:lol::love:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I got through another day….I rested up today and got myself psyched up for another round of shopping tomorrow….Sat. I take grandaughter shopping for the day and lunch out ( her choice ) …she said we could “ go slow “….( thank God )….Sun. is football day and then next week I will take grandson and his g/f shopping and to lunch one day….husband was on the phone talking to more doctors and insurance rep. for hours today…the only doctor we can’t decide on is the cardiologist…his body is tired of being in so much pain….I hope everything can be done in Jan. and Feb….

It is amazing how much better I feel after eating healthy only a few days…I think my body is in shock lol…getting the extra sugar out of my system does wonders…I got up earlier and felt like getting dressed, etc….depression is a horrible non motivator ( is that a word ? )… I have been sleepwalking on auto pilot for months….time to get back to the living again…
  • Yoolypr
    We’re thrilled to have you back! Missed your wit and feistiness.
  • nsk1951
    Yeah, I get it ... the dangers of fresh bread in the house. I'm not expert enough at it to want to share my loaves with anyone. I haven't baked in years and had never mastered bread even back then. My thinking is if I have it around more often then maybe I would not over eat on it when it is here.

Yesterday's loaf was kind of thrown together without following any specific recipe and it turned out the best of what I can remember trying to make in the past. It's just flour, water, a little salt, a little yeast. Kind of on the very wet side of things and barely handled at all. I tend to let nature take it's course with developing the strands. Will I be able to duplicate it or improve on it? Next week's loaf will tell me. ... I don't dare make more than one a week or I would be in trouble. Half the loaf I made yesterday is going into the freezer today so I have some a few days from now.
  • Yoolypr
    edited December 2022
    NSK - have you ever tried making Irish soda bread? No yeast and can be made into very small loaves. Or raisin breads.

Had my cardiologist visit today. I found out the meds I’ve been taking for 18 months substantially depress my metabolism! Possibly by 50-100 calories. And causes lethargy. No wonder I’m not making any progress. I guess I should be grateful to have maintainability. New meds start tomorrow but will still depress metabolism but hopefully less so. It would have been nice to know about that quirky little side effect from the start. 😤. Oy!!
  • PAV8888
    Sounds like you have a plan! Dare I mention experiments with alternative flours and flatbreads... Or maybe not? Had some interesting experiments with chick pea flour and even almond flour and egg white in the past. Bread making, smelling, waiting for it to rise seems like it would be a potential problem for me. Admittedly, over handling DOES, eventually, work. There was a time where I didn't eat fish and chips for a good five or more years after spending summers working--and eating--at a fish and chip shop. But that would be like trying to overload me with cookies. There's a bit of danger in that strategy... a "tiny" bit! :innocent:

Yoolie this is excellent information to know! And yes, can have an effect.
  • nsk1951
    Yes, there is a whole world of possibilities when making bread.
    Soda bread was one of the first loaves I made many generations ago. It goes stale too fast for me to want it now-a-days where I limit my intake to one serving a day. But there was nothing better of a meal partner on many nights!

Yeast breads (either fermented or commercial) are what I’d not mastered in the days when I cooked a lot, so it’s what I am pursuing now with a weekly loaf.
    The present loaf has yielded wonderful French toast and bread slice pizza meals as well as other ways to enjoy it. The next loaf has bread pudding labeled on it in my imagination. I have a variety of fruit to use so that pasty hasn’t been decided yet.
  • PAV8888
    Bread pudding is up there with cookies in the evil category.

Just shoot me now.
  • lauriekallis
    BANG BANG

:D

One for you, one for me.