60 yrs and up

Replies

• Thegle
    Thegle Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2022
    ... But last week I had my first cold since retirement in 2019 and it definitely floored me. It got me thinking though, I guess that one good thing to come out of the pandemic is that it's no longer considered acceptable for us to just casually spread our germs around at work or in social settings.

I too had a cold last week along with a body wracking cough. I think it's been even longer for me. Sadly, one never forgets what a cold is like and how miserable I get. I too retired (sort of) in 2020 then started working this year but only 13 hours a week from home. I'm pretty sure the one time I went out to a public market - mask and all - those germies got me!!
    ...My personal cutoff temp is -32C. Why -32? Because that's the temp that the local school district cancels all school busses. ...

My personal cutoff is -20c (including windchill) unless I'm snowshoeing with a balaklave on which I haven't done in a long while. We don't walk fast enough for my dachshund to keep warm and booties don't stay on his stubby little legs very well - he's very much a fair weather dog anyway.

Beautiful photo by the way. I love walking in the forests in the winter when I can.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    On the issue of having colds: I'm understanding from things in the news recently that RSV (respiratory syncytial virus), which is sort of on the more severe end of varied diseases informally called "the common cold", is more severe and widespread than usual this year.

Earlier - here at least - I'd been seeing that framed as severe in young children (who haven't gradually developed some immunity during the pandemic isolation), with childrens' hospitals being at/near capacity in many areas (from a combination of RSV, flu, and other conditions). Now, I'm hearing that RSV's also hitting 65+ folks harder than most years, too, statistically speaking, including some people unfortunately needing to be hospitalized.

Overwhelmingly, most adults - including us older ones - generally experience this only as a persistent and miserable cold. This may be a factor in what some of us experience this season, in addition to maybe some effect of just being a bit older, or with slightly depressed immunity because we've been isolating these last couple of years, too.

Regardless of causes, sympathies to those fighting with a cold!
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Hey all - busy, busy time if year! Hope everyone is thriving, or at least coping 😘

I'm hanging in but holiday treats have made it onto the menu, so scale us on a slow creep up. But it's a very slow creep, so could be worse right?
    No eating with abandon!!
    And I have a contract with myself that if I eat it - I log it onto diary, which means there has to be some measure to it, even if I decide to have 2 helpings - I am checking labels and
    weighing so that I can record it - good, bad and the ugly!

Keep on keeping on folks, for everything there is a season.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,810 Member
    edited December 2022
    I’m also just trying to get through the holidays without too much damage. At my age though I just refuse to deny myself some treats and celebrating. I try to keep it in control but I know January 1 will show an uptick on the scale. But hopefully it won’t be awful. And I’ll have lots of company because EVERYONE is going to be frantically dieting and exercising - at least for a few weeks. And diet foods will be on sale.
    I’ll just have to return to mindful sensible eating.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Hey all - busy, busy time if year! Hope everyone is thriving, or at least coping 😘

I'm hanging in but holiday treats have made it onto the menu, so scale us on a slow creep up. But it's a very slow creep, so could be worse right?
    No eating with abandon!!
    And I have a contract with myself that if I eat it - I log it onto diary, which means there has to be some measure to it, even if I decide to have 2 helpings - I am checking labels and
    weighing so that I can record it - good, bad and the ugly!

Keep on keeping on folks, for everything there is a season.

Same here!

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,819 Member
    Lorrainell wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 74 and would like to be part of this group of encouragement. I get stuck every now and then, and feel if I have company on my journey, it will help me stay on track. ps The picture is not of me, although that is what I looked like when I was 21 and crazy in love with Elvis Presley. ha

Welcome! The only prequisite is that you're over 60 and have the desire to be at a healthy weight. There are many paths to accomplish that, but it needs to be done in a healthy manner. And to quote Red Green "We're all in this together" 🙂
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,810 Member
    Had to look up Red Green! We apparently never had this show in the US but I do recall seeing the comedian in other things.
  • AnnPT77
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Had to look up Red Green! We apparently never had this show in the US but I do recall seeing the comedian in other things.

Actually, some US public television stations aired the Red Green show. I'm not sure where you live, but it may've been more popular in states where there's some hunting/fishing culture, because it sort of lampoons that sort of thing in a non-hostile way. I'm in mid-Michigan: It was quite popular here.

I loved Red Green!
  • AnnPT77
    Hello, and welcome to the new folks!
    momzilla11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Holiday check-in here.

December has been, unsurprisingly I guess, a rough month. Today I returned to my previous-low December 1 weight, after various challenges and what felt like a bad game of Whack-a-Mole.

Holiday scheduling stresses, simmering work drama around year-end tasks, OPD (other people's drama), and my very own special problem I created for myself: choosing right before the holidays to push myself to complete a project I've been dragging around for years, sorting through family photographs (my son's childhood with ex-trauma, plus all those close to me who have passed) and my mother's estate documents. I stopped this unwise plan a couple of days ago.

Meanwhile I recorded my CICO, and it tells the tale. Late night eating, eating when I wasn't hungry, drinking wine late at night, dropping from 5 days a week at 5 miles/12,000 steps to 3. Also a brief resurgence of my most destructive habit: eating off-plan (lunch with my son at a new pizza place) and then feeling that I may as well add a soft drink and then follow with dessert and then...

Anyway, continuing to record and trying to stick to even a reduced activity level daily has worked as I hoped. 2 1/2 weeks after this rough spell began, today I've re-set and re-committed to seeing where this journey can take me for reclaiming health, fitness, and movement.

@momzilla11, I have found consistent logging to be helpful and insightful in that way, too. Being honest with myself is a big deal. Those off days IMO aren't any kind of personal failure, but - once logged - are an opportunity to assess what's going on with me, what's triggering behaviors that don't support my long term goals, finding strategies or solutions for handling those triggers in more forward-thinking ways.

You're a great example: Thank you for that!
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Hallo mon, checking in from the Caribbean!

Travelling to Miami and then onto the ship was a long drawn out affair, but nothing much untoward happened - no delays, baggage made it, just a far way to go! And apparently got out of town just before a major Arctic blast and dump of snow, brrr.

We had 2 sea days to settle onto the ship, and visited our first port yesterday (Tortola, part of the British Virgin Islands) and cruising towards our next port in Antigua now. We go to 7 islands in 7 days before enjoying a sea day on the way back. What fun! I love cruising 🛳 😍. 78F/26C, blue sky with puffs of white clouds, silky sand and gorgeous tourqoise ocean - what's not to love?

Food is delish & plentiful, sigh. Logging everything and sticking pretty close to maintenance calories and getting in lots of walking/stairs so we will see how that turns out 🤔. Hoping for the best!

'Talk' soon 🙂
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 279 Member
    Hallo mon, checking in from the Caribbean!

Travelling to Miami and then onto the ship was a long drawn out affair, but nothing much untoward happened - no delays, baggage made it, just a far way to go! And apparently got out of town just before a major Arctic blast and dump of snow, brrr.

We had 2 sea days to settle onto the ship, and visited our first port yesterday (Tortola, part of the British Virgin Islands) and cruising towards our next port in Antigua now. We go to 7 islands in 7 days before enjoying a sea day on the way back. What fun! I love cruising 🛳 😍. 78F/26C, blue sky with puffs of white clouds, silky sand and gorgeous tourqoise ocean - what's not to love?

Food is delish & plentiful, sigh. Logging everything and sticking pretty close to maintenance calories and getting in lots of walking/stairs so we will see how that turns out 🤔. Hoping for the best!

'Talk' soon 🙂

Lucky you! Took my granddaughter on a Caribbean cruise for her 18th birthday 4 years ago and had such a nice time. Wonderful memories. Enjoy your time (minus 32C here in Alberta this morning).
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited December 2022
    @BCLadybug888 You got out just before the snowy chaos. Timing couldn't have been better! haha Have fun 🙂

Happy winter solstice!! To those of you who live further south, it might not be a big deal. But for those of us who live in northern latitudes, it's a big deal. Not like a big celebration.....more like a collective sigh of relief. 🌞

Not a great step day for me yesterday. Only 8000 because it was cold (low -30's) and the dogs didn't get their usual walk. My golden retriever is pretty tough, but the border collie stands there lifting his paws, with the most accusatory look in his eyes. Like the weather is my fault. Instead I did some yoga, and played with them for a bit in the backyard. Woke up today to -40C (which just so happens to be the same in F) so it will pretty much be a repeat of yesterday. Maybe do weights instead of yoga though.

A recent study shows that exercise alone isn't enough. Neither is just healthy eating. To truly help ward of desease we must eat a healthy diet AND exercise. I know that, but its always nice to be reminded.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/13/well/move/exercise-diet-disease.html

Hope everyone is staying warm, logging what they eat (yes, even the extra treats haha) and finding a way to keep moving 🙂
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Happy Solstice everyone! Stay warm. Summer is just around great corner!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Stay warm everyone. This morning it was the coldest wind chill ever recorded for our city! Brrrr!

@BCLadybug888 I envy you right now on that cruise. Have fun!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @momzilla11 Thank you! I do wonder if 126 is attainable and sustainable for me. But it is a goal to shoot for. If along the way I decide I'm happy where I'm at then so be it! What is important is to be as healthy as possible for me, and to have the best quality of life I can have.