Share your Numbers

Replies

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I've never seen a doctor report chart like the one Dante shared. It's got great info on it that I wish was also available from our doctors here in the USA. ... Of course, I could not make out most of it except for the BM! part!

No numbers to share from me right now. I have been remiss in stepping on that danged scale the past few days. ... I'm such a creature of habit that if I break one little routine, it seems to be like a domino effect on a whole bunch of others! ... Will have to focus on getting back on track with a slightly different schedule ... and that means creating new habits.

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,594 Member
    Congratulations, Dante!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    Man oh man these are AWESOME results! Awesome you lithe little 27 year old metabolic babe!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Thanks for the kind words guys..<3
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    I've never seen a doctor report chart like the one Dante shared. It's got great info on it that I wish was also available from our doctors here in the USA. ... Of course, I could not make out most of it except for the BM! part!

This is a readout page from a BIA I did at my doctors'. It is very useful (together with DEXA scans) for getting a ballpark figure about your body composition, and more importantly to compare results across time.

I'm very lucky because I work in health and have free access to this stuff.

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,810 Member
    You are certainly fortunate to have this kind of analysis Dante. I’m sure this would be in the tens of thousands dollars here - IF you could get anyone to do this. This kind of in depth information is mainly saved for high dollar professional athletes! The rest of us mortals muddle along with a bathroom scale and some routine blood work once in a while.
  • PAV8888
    @nsk1951 and @Yoolypr my friend depending on where you're located a body composition dexa scan probably can be had near the $100 level. One of the first google hits seems to confirm this: https://dexascan.com/locations/

Now, Dante has had several scans in a row showing his wonderful progression. They appear to have been done on a multipoint bia machine as opposed to being dxa scans. You would expect bia to be less expensive but the sales pitch 🙀by the gym or weight management provider may make it less so 🤷🏻‍♂️ and multiple scans = multiple Ben Franklins 😬🤣

To your benefit body composition changes would be slow while weight stable so it could be a not too expensive thing to run through one or two. Mind you, though neat it won't drastically improve your life! 😹 Bonus points on a dexa scan by adjusting their settings they can easily plus sell a gold standard bone density scan as a twofer.... if the operator is sufficiently qualified to do so in that jurisdiction (where I'm at she would have had to be a radiologist for the one but not the other)

@Dante_80, a reminder, because it took me a while to figure this out, that the scan differentiates bone, fat tissue and non fat tissue. non fat tissue, of course, includes much more than just muscle and is expected to go down with weight loss. You've actually done an amazing job minimizing non fat mass loss. Tbh unless counteracted by active strength training I would expect some further lean mass to be lost while weight stable as your insides continue to re-adjust to the disappearance of excess fat reserves while slowly getting rid of now useless supporting stuff 😜
  • Yoolypr
    edited December 2022
    At my age doing intensive body analysis is kind of pointless. The law of diminishing returns! If I were Dante’s age it would be a valuable tool for reaching fitness goals. At 75 - meh 😒
    My bone density is fine now but there are ongoing aging losses along with loss of muscle/strength. I can slow it down a bit but it’s gonna happen anyhow!
    So rather than find out that my body is metabolic 110 years old, I’ll muddle along with the bathroom scale. I’d really like to at least move those “found” three pounds.
  • nsk1951
    I had a Dexa scan back when I was 64 years old at a gym. I also had one this past summer that was strictly to see what my bone density was. That one was done at the radiology clinic.
  • PAV8888
    I had a Dexa scan back when I was 64 years old at a gym. I also had one this past summer that was strictly to see what my bone density was. That one was done at the radiology clinic.

Sounds about right/as expected :smiley: They ARE interesting to look at. But beyond that... I am not sure that they do add much... and that's coming from someone who paid for a good six or seven!
  • nsk1951
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Sounds about right/as expected :smiley: They ARE interesting to look at. But beyond that... I am not sure that they do add much... and that's coming from someone who paid for a good six or seven!

Well .. the Dexa Scan I got 13 years ago was because the gym was doing it as part of their fitness program at a reduced rate to measure your body lean vs fat content. They were big into hi-intensity exercise and weight training. I didn't go with them because they were too expensive. The one I had this past year was my doctors desire to see the bone density in my major joints ... the ones that old women often break if their bones are weak from osteoporosis that often times makes them bed bound. Fortunately, my bones are strong.
  • PAV8888
    Yeah, my comment was not 100% clear I do admit! Of course the bone-density scans are a necessity. The lean mass etc ones, especially as a progression when nothing dire was happening are the ones I am calling more of an interesting curiosity as opposed to a necessity!
  • nsk1951
    Oh, for sure, I agree that it's interesting to know what the fat/lean composition is, but it's not a necessity at all. When I had mine done, I knew I was too much fat and not enough lean on my body ... the mirror and my clothes size, measurements told me that. And, back when I was a slender woman, all I ever needed to use to know if there was getting to be too much padding was the age-old pinch method. But still ... it was, as I told myself back then, an investment in myself to know where I stood. I was just then getting into all the TDEE, BMI, RMD stuff and thought that this was new technology that might help me to continue eating closer to how much I wanted to and still shed some excess weight. Ta-Da .. I'm still trying!
  • PAV8888
    agreed: a nice "pamper" session to keep one in the science experiment game! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    So post holiday reckoning today! I’m up a few pounds but luckily not as bad as I feared. Back to logging everything and not touching the leftover Christmas treats. Hubby will take care of everything that isn’t nailed down.
  • Yoolypr
    Making some progress. Time will tell if it’s going to last. But the three pounds of cookies were gone this morning 👍. I’m concentrating on being mindful and not grab&go snacking.
    So I’m back to losing that final 20 pounds. I would really like to hit that goal by September when we’re going to Hawaii.
  • lauriekallis
    Good for you, Yooly. Being mindful is on my mind also. I'm going to apply a schedule to my eating - going to go by the clock.
  • Yoolypr
    We went to the local Vietnamese restaurant for a bowl of vegetarian tofu pho. It was wonderful! The unfortunate consequence is a sudden overnight two pound weight gain from salt. I know it will be gone in a day or two. But it’s just sad that you can’t enjoy a fairly low cal lunch without some payback!
  • lauriekallis
    That is a shame, Yooly. Hope it doesn't weigh your spirits down too much today.

That is one benefit to not weighing yourself :) Which is where I'm at these days. Thinking I might do a weigh in February 1. What I'm doing now feels like it is mostly working. Some stressful days lately - but NO binging. A few days over my desired calorie count, but nothing crazy. So I won't mess with that by throwing the scale into the mix.
  • Yoolypr
    For me, daily weigh-ins are a necessary evil. Good, bad, or ugly - I need to know where I am each morning. I know sudden upticks aren’t a crisis but several days above the line are. It keeps me honest and not pretending I’m doing okay when I’m not.

I know this is not for everyone and produces anxiety and unhappiness for some people. But for me it’s part of the morning routine.

Not to say I don’t get hacked off or fail to follow a sensible plan daily!
  • Yoolypr
    Trying to get a grip on the slowly creeping uptick in weight. Much of this is driven by a slowed metabolism induced by meds that also cause fatigue.

I’m going to work on trying to eat on a stricter schedule when possible. Obviously there will be days when that isn’t possible.

I want to try to have a twelve hour non-eating period daily. The point is to give my body a food free rest. This is based on NO scientific study or medical advice. Just a gut feeling that I might get more in touch with “real” hunger.

I’m good with regimentation and routine. So who knows?