Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,592 Member
    Hibachi bowls are fantastic - Athijade - and kudos to you for finding the energy/inspiration for putting that together for dinner!

100% Yooly - that is exactly what I was thinking.

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    I have no meal plan yet for next week and I go to the grocery tomorrow morning. Ugh. Being sick has made me not want to do a dang thing.

Tonight is BLTs with an egg and mac and cheese. Like Kraft mac and cheese. Nothing fancy.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,540 Member
    edited December 2022
    Have made some egg/yogurt salad. Some mustard, some pickled vegetables, some onion and garlic powder as fresh wasn't handy! YES, you CAN burn boiled eggs... they explode like POPCORN.... ask me how I know?!?!?!?!? :blush:

vs92avj1bjqg.png

(No I didn't use THAT batch! Dog seems to be happy with them!)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,809 Member
    Oh and the smell of those HARD boiled burned eggs! I guess opening the windows wasn’t possible in cold and snowy Vancouver?

Easy method for hard boiled eggs 🥚. Put eggs in pan. Cover eggs with about 1-2 inches of water. Bring to boil. Turn OFF heat and cover pan. Let sit about 15 -20 minutes. The eggs can sit in the water a while even if you wander away - no exploding!
  • lauriekallis
    That looks a bit like the clay planter I baked in my oven....a christmas present for a friend....oh I burned it something fierce. The stench was (is) horrible. It was white polymer clay - not it ranges from mid brown to shiny black :p same colours as those spots on your popcorn egg, PAV.
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2022
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Easy method for hard boiled eggs 🥚. Put eggs in pan. Cover eggs with about 1-2 inches of water. Bring to boil. Turn OFF heat and cover pan. Let sit about 15 -20 minutes. The eggs can sit in the water a while even if you wander away - no exploding!

Well isn't it amazing how GREAT MINDS think alike?!?!?!? (see I can learn!)... oh, wait! That's EXACTLY what I was doing.... oh... but there was a minor MALFUNCTION since I was in another room listening to popping noises. Any guesses where things went sideways?!
  • PAV8888
    Was going to be dim sum before the plans took a snow day. green beans nuked (~160), baby potatoes err boiled without scorching (~280), a can of rio mare corn insalatissime (~300 Cal), some nice vinegar (~15), and a couple of slices of bread (~160).... A good quantity that could have been broken down into two meals... or a single large brunch.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,809 Member
    That Rio Mare insalatissime must be a Canadian thing. We don’t have it here and it sounds interesting.

Today was black bean, corn, green peppers salad with some smoked boudain sausage. Quick meal cause we had to get an early start making our annual cookie deliveries.
    Tomorrow it’s hot pork tamales we were gifted this afternoon. Homemade- which is a rarity nowadays.

My guess is you didn’t stay and watch the pot boil so you could turn it off? Yup that’s how you get explosive eggs! Ask me how I know .....
  • lauriekallis
    I'd never heard of Rio Mare insalatissime until this moment. Seems like a pretty nice meal in a can.

• lauriekallis
    This egg dish. Sounds like a perfect movie snack :D
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2022
    Don't trust the ads: it's a scam to use less tuna and more cheapie ingredients that they put together in a meal to sell for MORE!!!! :wink:

That said... i did fluff up the corn one (which was the least amount of calories) with some extra salad-ey ingredients and it was far from terrible!

Of course you could do the same yourself with a plain can of tuna... but hey, where would be the fun of paying more for less then!?!?!? :blush:

https://www.riomare.ca/products/insalatissime-en/
  • lauriekallis
    edited December 2022
    Supper for me tonight is three things that I had completely cut from my diet: Toasted English muffin with crunchy just peanuts peanut butter and slices of banana.
    So far just one.
    Will definitely have one more. Hopefully it will stop there. Still at the trying not to apply restrictions stage of my return to healthier eating. It's a pretty hit and miss endeavour. But one major accomplishment is that these English muffins have been in the house for hours. Six hours to be exact :)
    Might sound silly - but for me that is significant.
  • PAV8888
    six hours is a good start! I hope it went well laurie!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    Might sound silly - but for me that is significant.

It's not silly at all. Every step forward is a step in the right direction. Sure, you may take a step back here and there, but if you keep pushing forward you will eventually get to where you need to go.

While I have never used that thinking for diet (though maybe I should), I have used it when I was trying to get out of a depressive episode a time or two.

And every step forward should be celebrated.

And every step back should be used as a learning opportunity.

Look at me all full of positive thinking this morning. Who is this person?

• PAV8888
    edited December 2022
    Hello there Ms Positivity! :love:
  • lauriekallis
    Thank you for your well wishes! And...it is very good to know you, Ms Positivity. Your words are very wise, as well as positive.

I ended up staying up until 6 this morning. Perhaps needless to say the package of 6 English muffins were retired before I retired myself. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. But I was on a roll...perhaps a muffin fueld roll?....so I kept going. I'm working on a painting that I donated to a Cat Rescue fundraising auction. The winning bidder wants it for a Christmas present. So perhaps it was a win. Occasional muffin-fueled all-nighters I can accept. OCCASIONAL. It is a cute pup so it is a win-win situation...maybe. :)

It was 16 hours before all 6 were gone. And I stayed productive. So it was a step forward. Habit of late would have seen me eat all six at once with something sweet on top...plus something else....then a nap to get through the sugar crash.
  • PAV8888
    Well.... an all nighter requires SOME fuel. So it sounds better than before for sure. Now... cat rescue is getting a puppy? That seems... backwards!
  • lauriekallis
    Cat rescue is getting the money - bidder wants me to paint a puppy - I'm obedient :)
    I'll post a pic when I'm done - he is the funniest looking pup - and he happens to share the same name as The Boy, so I have a soft spot for him.
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2022
    But but but DOG rescue should get puppies!
    CAT rescue should get cats!
    It is... like...
    cognitive dissonance
    alarm
    alarm
    meltdown anticipated...
    :confounded:
    :cold_sweat:

next thing you know you'll go to a bunny rescue and paint vegetables!!!!!!! :lol:
  • PAV8888
    Let's see.... let's see.... (br)lunch was 191g spiral zucchini and 205g spiral beats with the last 33g of the pistachio pesto jar someone brought into the house back in late October. Let's see if I can manage to get in a couple of reasonable days (-250 to -500 real) before the "holiday cheer" starts cheering!