JUST FOR TODAY--One Day at a Time--Daily Commitment Thread for 2022

Replies

• more_freggies76
    more_freggies76 Posts: 2,550 Member
    Hour commitment - After my pecans, I won't eat again until after 5pm. None of the same foods at dinner as at lunch. Can still have my dose of metamusal.
  • more_freggies76

JFT for 12/21/2022 (today)✔️
    1) No desserts today unless I want sugarfree or no sugar added. (last 12/20)✔️
    2) None of DH's stash today, including the Mexican sweet breads.✔️
    3) No peanut butter today, 2.5 to 3 T (last 12/19)✔️
    4) Don't weigh again until next Thursday, 12/22 (last 12/19)✔️
    5) No hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/20). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.✔️
    6) No honey today(1-3 Tbsp.). (a little in honey mustard ok)✔️
    7) Nuts ok (22-26 g) or 12-14 in-the-shell nuts, but none of Gary's canned nuts.✔️
    8) No beef jerky today.✔️
    9) No chicken Vienna sausage ok today (last 10/19) (trying not to have higher sodium stuff everyday)✔️
    10) No sweet potato and/or pumpkin ok today. (last 12/20)✔️
    11) No tamales today✔️
    12) No leftover stuffing today✔️

JFT for 12/221/2022 (tomorrow)✔️
    1) Can have pumpkin or pumpkin pear pie with whipped cream. No other desserts today unless I want sugarfree or no sugar added. (last 12/20)
    2) None of DH's stash today, including the Mexican sweet breads.
    3) No peanut butter today, 2.5 to 3 T (last 12/19)
    4) Don't weigh again until next Thursday, 12/22 (last 12/19)
    5) Up to 1.5 oz hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/20). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.
    6) No honey today(1-3 Tbsp.). (a little in honey mustard ok)
    7) Nuts ok (22-26 g) or 12-14 in-the-shell nuts, but none of Gary's canned nuts.
    8) No beef jerky today.
    9) No chicken Vienna sausage ok today (last 10/19) (trying not to have higher sodium stuff everyday)
    10) Sweet potato and/or pumpkin ok today. (last 12/20)
    11) 1 tamale ok today

Hour commitment - I won't eat again until tomorrow.
    ================== 4DW started =============
    Since MFP is going to close the blogs soon, I have to move my 4DWs (4 Day Wins) here.
    Now in shared file:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zarlETHtkiVUD1O6BKpHA7GCNFJS8IdF/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=108259155343870939869&rtpof=true&sd=true

[/quote]

• more_freggies76
    edited December 2022

JFT for 12/221/2022 (tomorrow)✔️
    1) Can have pumpkin or pumpkin pear pie with whipped cream. No other desserts today unless I want sugarfree or no sugar added. (last 12/20)
    4) Don't weigh again until next Thursday, 12/22 (last 12/19)
    5) Up to 1.5 oz hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/20). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.
    7) Nuts ok (22-26 g) or 12-14 in-the-shell nuts, but none of Gary's canned nuts.
    8) No beef jerky today.
    9) No chicken Vienna sausage ok today (last 10/19) (trying not to have higher sodium stuff everyday)
    11) Up to 1 ear of corn ok
    12) 1 tamale ok today
    13) Can eat lunch early due to lunch meeting.

Hour commitment - I won't eat have my coffee stuff until 8 am.
    Since MFP is going to close the blogs soon, I have to move my 4DWs (4 Day Wins) here.
    Now in shared file:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zarlETHtkiVUD1O6BKpHA7GCNFJS8IdF/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=108259155343870939869&rtpof=true&sd=true

• more_freggies76
    Hour commitment - I won't eat again until after 5 pm. Can still have my dose of metamusal. None of the same foods at dinner as at lunch.
  • cgottschlich
    cgottschlich Posts: 57 Member
    Whew its been a while.
    A little too long; i'm struggling to remember all that happened.
    So for now i will say what's been on my mind recently.

Although ive known that my sleep hasnt been great, i havent seriously considered that i have not been getting *enough* sleep until today. I read an excellent article by Healthline that included a 3-day fixerupper routine for your body based around sleep and recovery. I have already started a rendition of it. I will try to remember to give my review on saturday night or sunday morning.

My weight loss has been slow, which i sort of expected. My changes to my diet are not huge in the calorie department i'm sure, since i'm not restricting the amount of calories consumed. Its not even been a week, so its hard to say what my progress is, but i'm sure most people would say i'm eating healthy and losing weight the healthy way. But i'm struggling. Poor sleep sucks, and i've been getting night panics again. Additionally, i think ive been letting too much fat into my diet. I would tell myself things like "there's not much fat in this" when i would have no idea and "fat is important to hormone health" even tho i'm getting plenty of fat through vegetables, nuts, and sauces on my TV dinners. The big offender has been restaurant & deli food. I love Whole Foods, but just because they are dedicated to "quality" and "health" doesnt mean their roasted vegetables and fish arent bathed in oil (there was even a layer of grease on the bottom of my togo container that i didnt see until i finished my food). I should be less afraid of getting too little fat and focus more on not eating too much, on getting good sleep, and on seeing a nutritionist (or at least my doc).

I read an interesting account by a historian about breakfast. As an adult, ive never been very hungry for breakfast and not the biggest fan. So reading that "hearty breakfasts" for sedentary people has been a recent fad, pushed by marketers, has been welcome and relaxing news. Skipping breakfast has been, for me, an easy way to drop food intake while maintaining energy and keeping my circadian rhythm tight (no post-bfast sleepiness in the morning). And my last weight loss was during a diet where i skipped a meal (lunch). So for now, no breakfast; eating just between noon and 8 PM. And i gotta be firm about that 8 PM. I'm confident its messing with my sleep.

That's it for now. Today i have no plans, really. Just gonna relax, enjoy my vacation. Maybe do a lil book-keeping, maybe a nice walk before the sun sets.
  • more_freggies76

JFT for 12/22/2022 (today)✔️
    1) Can have pumpkin or pumpkin pear pie with whipped cream. No other desserts today unless I want sugarfree or no sugar added. (last 12/20)✔️
    4) Don't weigh again until next Thursday, 12/22 (last 12/19)✔️
    5) Up to 1.5 oz hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/20). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.✔️
    7) Nuts ok (22-26 g) or 12-14 in-the-shell nuts, but none of Gary's canned nuts.✔️
    9) No chicken Vienna sausage ok today (last 10/19) (trying not to have higher sodium stuff everyday)✔️
    10) Sweet potato and/or pumpkin ok today. (last 12/20)✔️Didn't eat today
    11) Up to 1 ear of corn ok✔️
    12) 1 tamale ok today✔️Didn't eat today
    13) Can eat lunch early due to lunch meeting.✔️

JFT for 12/23/2022 (tomorrow)✔️
    1) No desserts today unless I want sugarfree or no sugar added. (last 12/22)
    4) Don't weigh again until next Monday, 12/26 (last 12/22)
    5) No hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/20). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.
    8) No beef jerky today.
    11) No corn today
    12) 1 tamale ok today

Now in shared file:

• cgottschlich
    Its currently 8 PM, which is the cut-off i decided for eating.
    Im hungry, unsurprisingly. Ive been eating a lot late at night.
    Part of me, an emotional part, is worried i wont be able to sleep.
    But i know from experience and from science that isnt true. I will be okay.
    Posting this here right now so it clicks in my head that this is what will be happening. And so i feel accountable to yall.
    Ive enjoyed participating in this thread. This is a nice community.
    I will drink water, some miralax, and soon get off the computer since i dont have a bluelight filter installed.
    Talk to yall later.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,057 Member
    Whew its been a while.
    A little too long; i'm struggling to remember all that happened.
    So for now i will say what's been on my mind recently.

Although ive known that my sleep hasnt been great, i havent seriously considered that i have not been getting *enough* sleep until today. I read an excellent article by Healthline that included a 3-day fixerupper routine for your body based around sleep and recovery. I have already started a rendition of it. I will try to remember to give my review on saturday night or sunday morning.

My weight loss has been slow, which i sort of expected. My changes to my diet are not huge in the calorie department i'm sure, since i'm not restricting the amount of calories consumed. Its not even been a week, so its hard to say what my progress is, but i'm sure most people would say i'm eating healthy and losing weight the healthy way. But i'm struggling. Poor sleep sucks, and i've been getting night panics again. Additionally, i think ive been letting too much fat into my diet. I would tell myself things like "there's not much fat in this" when i would have no idea and "fat is important to hormone health" even tho i'm getting plenty of fat through vegetables, nuts, and sauces on my TV dinners. The big offender has been restaurant & deli food. I love Whole Foods, but just because they are dedicated to "quality" and "health" doesnt mean their roasted vegetables and fish arent bathed in oil (there was even a layer of grease on the bottom of my togo container that i didnt see until i finished my food). I should be less afraid of getting too little fat and focus more on not eating too much, on getting good sleep, and on seeing a nutritionist (or at least my doc).

I read an interesting account by a historian about breakfast. As an adult, ive never been very hungry for breakfast and not the biggest fan. So reading that "hearty breakfasts" for sedentary people has been a recent fad, pushed by marketers, has been welcome and relaxing news. Skipping breakfast has been, for me, an easy way to drop food intake while maintaining energy and keeping my circadian rhythm tight (no post-bfast sleepiness in the morning). And my last weight loss was during a diet where i skipped a meal (lunch). So for now, no breakfast; eating just between noon and 8 PM. And i gotta be firm about that 8 PM. I'm confident its messing with my sleep.

That's it for now. Today i have no plans, really. Just gonna relax, enjoy my vacation. Maybe do a lil book-keeping, maybe a nice walk before the sun sets.

I'm far from being an expert and can't remember alot of what I've read over the years.
    But obviously there's "good fats" and "bad fats" ... For example avocado being a good one and bacon fat being a bad one etc.
    But I can't remember how they affect the body differently, maybe ones harder to break down or something.. maybe worth looking in to!
    But I'd still say there's a limit to the amount of fat you can eat a day whether it's good or bad but again

But the what's worse than fat is sugar.
    Sugar and fat are your body's fuel sources. Fat is stored for long term. But when there's sugar in your diet, that's (for lack of a better term) quick fuel. Your body will always use the sugar first as energy. But if you cut the sugar.. the body then HAS to use the fat that's stored for fuel. And that's when you start burning the fat off your body.

Personally I find it hard to cut sugar out. I do try but always come back to it, I have kind of self diagnosed myself with ADHD. Something I'm hoping to get officially diagnosed in the new year but that's another story. But typically we crave sugar fixes.

Anyways, I know you're doing your own research, I like doing things like that too. Hopefully what I've said is helpful and can help you with your own research. I've always figured my best chance is to learn how my body actually works, things make a lot more sense when I know how what I'm eating actually affects the body.

The sugar/fat one got me. I always thought that I had to eat low fat foods to reduce my fat intake but when they take out the fat out of the produce (like low fat yoghurt or something), they actually replace it with sugars and sweeteners, which means your body's gonna burn that first and not the fat thats stored! So it's kind of counter productive!
  • more_freggies76
    JFT for 12/23/2022 (today)✔️
    1) No desserts today unless I want sugarfree or no sugar added. (last 12/22)
    5) No hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/20). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.
    8) No beef jerky today.
    11) No corn today
    12) 1 tamale ok today
    Hour commitment - I won't eat again until after 12 pm.
    Now in shared file:

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,018 Member
    edited December 2022
    🐳🐬🐙🐬🐳🐬🐙🐬🐳
    🐳🐬DECEMBER 2022🐬🐳
    🐳🐬🐙🐬🐳🐬🐙🐬🐳
    Yay!!! Over the worst!!!
    2 negative tests and sinuses clearing

Just watching BBC coverage of the storms raging across America. Please take care dear friends.
    • November was a good month for me, and I achieved my goal of dropping a couple of lbs in anticipation of moderate indulgences over the festive season.
    • I am continuing with my present routine in December.
    Focus for December:
    • Enjoy moderate treats, while staying under calorie goal
    • Exercise to augment calories available
    • Adhere to Daily Solid Habits

Eat under goal!

🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗
    🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗
    🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗
    🥗🥗
    Active hours > 6 [/color]
    💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
    💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
    💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
    💃🏼💃🏼
    Current Solid Habits
    👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
    👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
    👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
    👌🏻👌🏻
    The festive season was always a minefield for me. It’s taken 7 difficult years and much soul-searching to change my previous habits to ones which are more advantageous to health and fitness.

I am worth the effort. And the payoffs are significant.

You are worth the effort!!!

🦄 Terri

• more_freggies76
    Hour commitment - I won't eat again until after 5 pm. None of the same foods at dinner as at lunch. Can still have my dose of metamusal.
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    It’s 5:30 pm, so a bit late for posting goals. But tonight my goals are to wrap presents, make some snickerdoodle cookies, and try not to freeze my butt off. 27 degrees (Fahrenheit) but the wind chill makes it feel like 13 🥶
  • more_freggies76
    Hour commitment - After I finish my cranberries, I won't eat again until tomorrow.
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    It’s 5:30 pm, so a bit late for posting goals. But tonight my goals are to wrap presents, make some snickerdoodle cookies, and try not to freeze my butt off. 27 degrees (Fahrenheit) but the wind chill makes it feel like 13 🥶

Most of the wrapping is done, the cookies have been made and passed the “quality inspection” I put them through (I ate one. It was yummy). The temperature is now 20 degrees F with a wind chill of 4, but I have power and heat so I’m definitely grateful for that.
  • cgottschlich
    Good morning yall.
    Last night was fitfull sleep. A change from the night before, when i went to bed early and slept well.
    I was just as hungry around 8 PM as last time. I dont know what was different.
    Even at 12 PM, i felt too stressed to sleep.
    I felt strange these last two night too.
    Both hot and cold at the same time.
    But at least it seems like my extremeties are getting good circulation for once!
    I'm not sure if its the stress hormones or the lack of blood draw going to my gut.
    But its nice.
    Strangely, although my sleep seems more fitful and i feel more tense at night, i feel less stiff in the morning than usual.
    Cant tell if its diet related or therapy related.

I woke up around 7 AM, a good time to get up.
    I broke my fast with some mandarin slices and half a hard boiled egg.
    Feeling great, albeit a bit cold (my normal jammies are in the wash, only a t-*kitten* and boxers last night so i'm wrapped in two throws right now).
    I love watching the sunrise.

Lately ive been having vivid, profound dreams.
    I dont remember my dream the night before yesternight, but i remember it helping me with something.
    This night's dream was about an old flame ive struggled to let go.
    We talked and hanged all through the night.
    It was very therapeutic, and i'm confident ive let him go now.
    Whew! That only took twenty years!
    I wonder if the dieting has been causing this dream, or its me being on an overdue vacation.

Tonight i think i will plan supper instead of winging it.
    Although i can clearly weather the night hungry, it may be helpful to have a good last meal later in the evening instead of a rice crispie at 3 PM.
    Yesterday for bfast i had a hearty spread.
    Then wasnt hungry much until 1 PM, when i had a small sandwich.
    But boy that made me hungry!
    I was on the road, and in the middle of errands, and really wanted to finish up before heading back.
    But on my way to the recycling center (and getting quite lost), i felt my energy drop once again, and got a modified power bowl from taco bell.
    It really hit the spot, but then i was too sleepy to drive!
    Luckily the parking lot was near empty and the taco bell was drive-thru only. I easily squeezed in a nap.
    Got up, resumed my lovely drive, but found myself still sleepy and low energy after a while.
    So i grabbed a matcha latte and a rice crispy.
    Bing! I was alive again. Maybe i shouldnt have eaten so low calorie throughout the day if i was going to to so many errands.... now that i'm not eating at night. One life change at a time!
    But that meal kept me full all the way until 8 PM.
    And of course, right after 8, i become ravenous lol.
    Today, i will make an effort to be home for dinner instead of having a quick lunch. I love my naps!
    And try to eat a wholesome supper around 5 or 6 PM, when my afternoon work is done.

Bex953172 wrote: »
    I've always figured my best chance is to learn how my body actually works, things make a lot more sense when I know how what I'm eating actually affects the body.

I used to agree, but now my stance is that weight loss is best done when you focus on what you know works on your body, experimenting, and not overcomplicating things with "knowledge". Researching the biomechanics should only be done for fun. If you're researching that stuff for aiding weight loss, then you must learn A LOT and from high quality sources (university and such), else you run into the "broscience" domain, where you feel like you know how the body works, preach to others your "knowledge", and distract others and yourself from the most efficient path.

For example, you said that the body burns sugar first for fuel. Theres some truth to that. The body converts all ingested carbohydrates into glycogen, a saccharide, and preferentially burns those over fatty acids. This is likely because sugar can affect the chemistry of blood dramatically; too much or too little will kill you instantly. So its levels are tightly regulated by insulin and glucagon. But high fat in your bloodstream, although it may harm you and kill you over years and years, not immediately. But your body doesnt put sugar and fat in a queue for burning. You are constantly burning sugar AND fat in your body all the time. This is why, even when people eat high carb and low fat, as long as they eat less calories than they expend, they lose body fat mass.

If eating low carb and moderate to high fat helps you lose weight, thats great, i'm happy that you figured that out. But some people lose weight easier on a high carb, moderate to low fat diet. If they were to take what you just said as fact, they would be compelled to stay away from the diet that would help them the most. But if everyone simply experiments and logs what works for them, then they will all find diets that work. Therefore internet Fun Facts should be taken as inspiration only.

Also
    The sugar/fat one got me. I always thought that I had to eat low fat foods to reduce my fat intake but when they take out the fat out of the produce (like low fat yoghurt or something), they actually replace it with sugars and sweeteners, which means your body's gonna burn that first and not the fat thats stored! So it's kind of counter productive!
    this
    but when they take out the fat out of the produce (like low fat yoghurt or something), they actually replace it with sugars and sweeteners
    is an illusion. When low fat became hip, big companies, who regularly change their marketing and labeling for maximizing profits, who sold products like were already low fat, or easy to make fat free, like fat free yogurt, simply started advertising that they sell low/no fat products. Its a really cheap way to cash in on a fad. But this doesnt change the fact that fat people prefer to eat a high amount of calories, and will choose foods accordingly. Ones who follow fads instead and dont calorie count will find themselves liable to eat the same fattening diet, only now its 100 kcal of fat free yogurt instead of 100 kcal of cheese etc. When they fail to lose weight, it must be because of something hidden in the food -- the sugar! All the snacks have sugar in them! *Thats* the answer. And the cycle continues. And the obesity curve stays pointing upwards.

This is why i love participating in this thread. You have to write down what youve been doing, and be really conscious of it. Hard to run from your mistakes when they stare at you from the page!
  • more_freggies76
    edited December 2022
    JFT for 12/23/2022 (yesterday)✔️
    1) No desserts today unless I want sugarfree or no sugar added. (last 12/22)✔️
    4) Don't weigh again until next Monday, 12/26 (last 12/22)✔️
    5) No hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/20). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.✔️
    10) Sweet potato and/or pumpkin ok today. (last 12/20)✔️
    11) No corn today✔️
    12) 1 tamale ok today✔️
    JFT for 12/24/2022 (today)✔️
    1) Can have 1 piece of pie with whipped cream. No other desserts today unless I want sugarfree or no sugar added. (last 12/22)
    8) No beef jerky today.
    10) No sweet potato and/or pumpkin ok today. (last 12/24)
    11) Can finish corn today
    12) No tamales ok today

Hour commitment - I won't eat again until after 12 pm.
    Now in shared file:

• more_freggies76
    Hour commitment - I won't eat again until after 5 pm. None of the same foods at dinner as at lunch. Can still have my dose of metamusal.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,185 Member
    For all my online friends here ... a very blessed and happy holidays!
    I'll probably be starting a new thread for 2023 .. so watch for the link!
  • more_freggies76
    edited December 2022

@mytime6630 -- you too!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,057 Member
    🎄🎁⛄🎅MERRY CHRISTMAS🎅⛄🎁🎄

Have a lovely Christmas everyone!!
    Love Bex x