WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :) I haven't participated in all the gratitude lists but I do write a short gratitude list every morning while I eat my breakfast. It helps me focus on all that is right with my world. Today I am reflecting on how grateful I am that reading is part of my life. I listen to audio books while I walk thus ensuring that I will walk much farther than I would otherwise. I read whenever I have an extra minute and read through all the times that would otherwise be excruciating like being confined to bed or hospital or lying awake in the middle of the night. Because I can be entertained by reading, I don't require that there be someone around to please or entertain me. I have a book by the bed and in the bathroom and both a kindle e book and an audio book on my phone. Who could ask for anything more.

:)Lanette, I love your lists. They resonate with me. Thank you for sharing them.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    I bought my husband a word search plaque that is in the bathroom downstairs here. I have my crosswords and sudoku, and he has his word searches.🤗💖. All the words are bathroom related.😂. I put my old magazine rack and put my huge jumble book to work on while I sit there.🙃. Now I am thinking I need so make our family names all scrabbled together with scrabble tiles!
    e19no8tfy79c.jpg
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    Lee wants to circle words but I explicitly forbid it!😂😂
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    Happy New Year!

I loved the Brady Bunch meme. Thanks for sharing.

I was late to the conversation in December, but I agree with everyone else, Betsy. I am usually very accepting of others’ faiths. It also takes a lot, and I mean a lot, for me to totally write off family members. In this case however, I would go no contact and never look back.

My word for 2023 is RENEW. It is time to renew my efforts to practice healthy habits. 2022 was a hot mess, but I am ready to renew, reset, take control!

My January habit is sleep. My goal is to be in the bed by 10 and lights out by 11. Then sleep until I naturally wake up, which is usually between 5:30 and 7:00.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,599 Member
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,027 Member
    edited January 2023
    Katla: So sorry your hubby is back in hospital. Sending 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 good thoughts and healing vibes your/his way! 💕💖💕

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    SueBDew it’s nice to see you! You’ll have to let us know what you have been up to!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,025 Member
    Hello ladies!

Suebdew welcome back!

I've been thinking more about goals for 2023, and being true to my intentions. I have a fitness program and a diet program and a meditation habit, but I get sidetracked. My word is diligence, and to me it means that I will follow my programs and not fall off the wagon. That doesn't mean zero skips, but it means not saying one thing and doing another. Not keeping my word is corrosive to me, and I have to work on that. Especially when I say I am done eating for the day, or that I will have a small portion of red meat.

Today was not the best start. I was up late, so I slept in instead of walking. Then I had a second helping of meat. I ended up four hundred calories over. There's work to be done.

Annie in Delaware

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Did Kristin Dowell Dressed Up Drills DVD. Work tomorrow and then bowling.

M – the reason you never eat fowl on New Years is because if you watch a pig, they always have their nose snorting forward and you want to go forward into the new year. A chicken scratches backwards and you don’t want to go back in the new year.

Karen – that movie “Monuments” sounds like a good movie. Which channel is it on? Have I told you what a wonderful sister you are?

Think I’ll go for a walk right now while a load of laundry is in the wash. When I get back I’ll put it in the dryer and then make myself breakfast. After working out, I very seldom feel hungry at first.

Ginny – I didn’t realize that having pork on New Year’s was a German tradition. But that’s OK, I still have my pork. I like sauerkraut, as you can guess Vince doesn’t. The only thing I think about is the amount of sodium in it. That’s one of the reasons I like to make my own when cabbage is on sale.

All the ladies here – I remember someone saying “a problem shared is a problem halved”, and that’s what we do.

Viv – glad you’re better and back here!

Slept in a bit today, but still got up around my usual time. I have to say, I’m not used to staying up so late and I was very tired during the day. I think I sat down to read and fell asleep for a bit

Debbie – if they want to clear out the church in record time, just have me sing. Actually, I have a hard time wearing a mask in church. I can’t even say prayers out loud. For the longest time, tho, I haven’t worn one in church

Rebecca – did you make up that word search list or did you buy it? I think it’s so cool. Hopefully, you got it online and I can get one, too

Lisa – sure hope Bella comes back. What a horrible way to start the new year. How does Cory feel about all this?

Debbie – my heart breaks for Destiny

Gonna go read a bit more, then bed. Work tomorrow.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Looking forward to some better sleep. Night before last was insomnia until about 3AM(and up at 6 for dr. appt.) then last night it was two asthma attacks. Slept on the couch because I didn't want to wake dh up with my coughing beings he had to be up at midnight to go to work and by that time, I was too tired and too comfy to go into the bed. Kind of getting used to sleeping in there now after two and a half weeks.

Happy New Years Ladies!

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca

Have you considered twin beds for you and your husband? Ours are in the same room, but our heads are in opposite corners so that we don't disturb each other too much. We also have different mattresses, pillows, etc. so that we can sleep as we like.

You asked about tea.

I drink teas with chamomile.

26wm3992dpf3.pngq4ulw6xr432u.pngwbkg7uay2m4x.png5jmfmnju8nrq.png

This one has chamomile and valerian.
    20zs0sjbb52b.png

I used this one the night before my surgery and the morning of my surgery. I think it helped me sleep and then keep me calm and relaxed during the surgery. It's got chamomile and valerian.
    https://www.redseal.global/au/our-products/tea-brews-blends/relaxing/

As for pills, I take a combination of Melatonin and Valerian at night and Ashwagandha in the morning although I may try it at night too.

Even though I am usually very tired, I find I don't sleep without the extra help.

Machka in Oz

Our room isn't big enough for two beds and a twin would not be big enough for him.
    What wakes me up is him getting ready(bathroom is attached to the bedroom).
    I need to start using the mask and ear plugs again. Didn't need them while in the living room.

Do you find yourself a bit drowsy from the melatonin? It works pretty well for me but I am just so tired most of the next day that it isn't worth it. The stuff I take doesn't leave me drowsy at all the next day.

My doctor said no herbals for the week before or the two weeks after. He was concerned about anything that might be a blood thinner.

I am the same with as you- I go to bed so tired but then can't get to sleep or sleep 10 min then awake for a few hours.

I have always been a gardener. Started as a very little kid- don't remember not helping in our garden. Growing up, we had and acre of garden. I have had at least a small one every year except one since I moved out(we moved to Mobile,AL the end of June so no time to get one in)
    I love spending time in it. DH complains about the cost of the water but that is my one hobby and spend a lot less on water compared to the many hobbies he spends a lot more on.

Happy New Year!!

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca

Pulled out the old calendar and the new one. I am down 12pounds since 1/1/22.
    Wish it was more but glad I lost at least that much.
    I am a lot more active(well, will be again in another week), than I was at the beginning of 22.

Melatonin doesn't make me drowsy. In fact, I'm debating if it is worth continuing because it doesn't seem to do much at all. Although, I just read I am actually supposed to take it 1-2 hours before bed, so maybe I'll try that this week.

What's in your biochemic phosphates - the ingredients or active ingredients? Is it magnesium?

My grandmother always had a big garden but my mother didn't and I followed in my mother's footsteps. Now I feel like various portions of my garden might be similar to my grandmother's. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    I’m not doing any daily/monthly/yearly goals, although they’ve served me well in the past. Wise Barbie says “every day is the best day” and that’s so true. I'm no longer looking to the future for accomplishments or satisfaction. It's here right now. I can make it so if I choose.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka I love your goals. Your organization is amazing. I am beginning to realize that goal setting is like organizing. It is not one size fits all. The things I have learned from all of you wonderful ladies make me a better person. My goals are less specific, but will be progressive as I incorporate more habits.

Love,
    Kylia in Ohio feeling a little more rested and energized.
    Progression - small steps to a better outcome

I think goals vary between us depending where we are in life and what we're doing.

For example, we have quite a large age range here - everyone is scattered between 50 and 80 (I think).

I'm at the younger end (55) and still working pretty much full-time, so my goals are going to be different from someone who is retired. Hence some of my career/learning-related goals. :)

I've also found that I won't do something on my ToDo list unless there is a specific step I can take.

My dry stream project might be a good example. If I put "Create Dry Stream" on my ToDo list, that item will stay on the list and no dry stream will appear.

But if I break it down into steps, I might eventually finish the dry stream, and while I'm working on it, I feel a sense of accomplishment each time I complete a step. :)

Dry Stream
    • Dig out and lay out the stream route
    • Start laying the plastic layer
    • Hold the plastic layer down with larger rocks to edge the stream
    • Install pools at various locations along the way
    • Start filling the stream with smaller rocks as a base layer
    • Top with a thin layer of river rock from our favourite rock source & scatter with the fancier rock I’ve got
    • Plant seeds around the stream

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    latest update on Destiny- my friend's niece who has been battling cancer for a few years now.
    She was on a new trial drug but it didn't work.

Update: Destiny had to go to the er.. we knew that he bone that her metal leg was starting to become weak do tot he fact they think that she has a new tumor there.. she has been using her crutches but today as she was going to the bathroom. She heard a pop then a lot of pain. We believe that she broke her leg again..
    I wish she would get a break.. she deserves it.. not sure why this keeps happening to her. We do not know the plan God has.. but please be in pray for her..
    she will be transferred to Uscf and not sure what will happen then. What they will do.

esqbdp206ftc.png

Praying