JUST FOR TODAY... One day at a time .. Daily Commitment for 2023!

mytime6630
mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member
edited January 2023 in Motivation and Support
A new year ... a fresh start. New Beginnings .. new goals!
I've been doing this thread for a number of years. And many of you might be thinking, if this thread works, why are you still trying to lose weight; still struggling to control habits.
Because habits are hard to change. And losing weight, for so many, is a lifelong battle. Even if a person is at goal weight ... it is work to maintain that weight, and old habits can come back so quickly. So that is why I keep starting this thread. While it may not always give us the results we want weight-wise... it keeps us going. It keeps us from giving up after just a few months, and not even trying. It keeps us mindful. It is encouragement from each other. It is a online community .. of friends that truly care, and understand.
It is sharing our struggles, along with our wins. After all, losing weight and getting healthy is so much more than a number on the scale. And... you are not alone in this struggle.
It is a way to be accountable!
If we can set goals for ourselves for JUST ONE DAY, maybe that one day will lead to another day, an entire week, an entire month, and this will help us to develop better habits for life, taking this one day at a time. Your goals can be as few as just one goal, or many goals for the day. You can post once a week, or once a day.. whatever works for you.
So if anyone wants to join us this year, we would love to have you.
2023 can be the best year ever!!
To bookmark this new thread and help you find it each day, just click on the little yellow star. That bookmarks it, so you can find it easy. When you go to post again, to the right at the top of your page is a bell, a star, and a little flower. Click on the star, and it will show your book marked threads.
fqpyikrijod9.jpg

Replies

• cgottschlich
    cgottschlich Posts: 57 Member
    @mytime6630
    I just saw that WW has *another* sale! :hushed:
    This time its three months free + a free bluetooth smart scale. :hushed::hushed:
    Is Weight Watchers okay? :#:p
  • mytime6630
    @mytime6630
    I just saw that WW has *another* sale! :hushed:
    This time its three months free + a free bluetooth smart scale. :hushed::hushed:
    Is Weight Watchers okay? :#:p

I think they do these sales this time of year. Did you get in on the 10 months for $10? I kinda wish I got in on that sale .. mine is $10 for just 6 months. So I have to work hard to lose at least 20 pounds in those 6 months .. I just don't want to pay $23 a month.
    I didn't do so well last nite... and not off to a good start today either. But I will get back on track tomorrow (eating up leftover crab rangoon and egg rolls, and hubby wants pizza tonite!).
    It does work if you follow the plan, but you are right .. you have to still be careful with the zero point foods. They still have calories. It just makes a person more mindful on what we eat!
    Best of luck to you .. we're going to do this!!!
  • more_freggies76
    more_freggies76 Posts: 2,504 Member
    Hour commitment - After I finish my yogurt, I won't eat again until dinner with DH. Can still have my dose of metamusal.
  • mytime6630
    These are some helpful links ... the 1st 2 are podcasts that I like to listen to when I walk. There are tons of good podcasts out there for motivation, suggestions, etc.
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/losing-100-pounds-with-corinne/id1233384453
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/half-size-me/id502334416
    This is a website I like ... this girl lost 134 pounds, and has lots of really good recipes, (She also has a youtube channel .. see below)
    https://www.jennswwjourney.com/
    You tube:
    Jenns weight loss journey
    https://www.youtube.com/@JennsWWJourney
    Prep Whisper
    https://www.youtube.com/@PrepWhisperer

I would love to hear of suggestions from you guys .. who you listen to, or follow, etc.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    Happy New Year!!! I'm so excited to start another new thread with you, Joan! Thank you for getting us going.

About Me: My name is Tracie. I've been doing the Just For Today thread for years now. I love the accountability and the people are so supportive...my JFT friends. My starting weight today is 182.8 lbs. My goal weight is 140. I'm 5'4 1/2". I'm in my early 60's and my "Why's" for wanting to lose weight are: (1) Healthy & Active. Reverse cardiac issues. Reverse autoimmune disease. Better lab results. Feel good! (2) Kids/grandkids/great-grands for a good long while yet (3) Less joint pain (4) Clarity. Less brain fog. (5) Fewer chins, a defined waistline and more fitted clothing...no more tunics

I started out the year by attending a Losing Weight in 2023 workshop, and it was so good. I'm focused and ready to drop some mental and physical weight! It's all about small doable changes and habits. I will not strive for perfection, like you said @mytime6630 ...the 80/20 rule. If I can just follow my goals 80% of the time, I know I will succeed! No more saying "F-it" when I eat off plan or overeat. Instead, I will be looking for my next best decision. Progress, not perfection.

@mytime6630 Thanks for sharing the podcasts, websites and YouTube channels! I also listen to Losing 100 Pounds with Corinne and Half Size Me. Love them both! Good luck with the WW membership! I know you really did well and enjoyed it last time. :smile:

@more_freggies76 Sorry to hear you've got covid. I hope you are feeling better soon!

@cgottschlich Good luck on WW!

I'm late posting my goals but want to start the year out right, so here's what I had planned in my head...

JFT, 1/1/2023
    • Make 24H Plan & Assess yesterday's :)
    • Weekly plan and assess last week's plan. What worked? What can I do differently?
    • Monthly plan
    • Weigh In :)-1.2 lbs from last week. Woo Hoo!
    • Attend Lose Weight in 2023 virtual workshop :)
    • Self-Development (Simple Abundance) / Spiritual Journey (Devotional & Bible) / Daily Dialog & Prayer Journal
    • 64 oz water
    • Packer vs Vikings game. Don't mindlessly chuff through the entire game. :)
    • Log food and close Food Diary
    • Close Activity Rings on my watch
    • Lights out on time. 7 hours of sleep tonight.

My WOTY for 2023 is subject to change, but for now I'm going with Balance. Balance in all things..Body, Mind & Spirit.
  • mytime6630
    edited January 2023
    I am one that usually posts in the evenings .. if I don't, the day gets away from me. So I post my goals for the next day on the evening before

JFT, Sunday, January 1st, 2023
    1. Log all my food :) And .. it is not pretty! We had so much leftover .. from xmas cookies, to crab rangoon, egg rolls, potato chips, etc.. that it seemed like all I did today was eat. Its as if I just figured I'd eat all this crap up so tomorrow I can start fresh. Well... after eating about 5 cookies... I threw the rest in the trash! Yes .. in the trash. Hubby does not want them... my daughter got a whole tin of cookies so she does not need them.. and well.. that would mean me eating all of them. So I "pretended" I ate them. Tonite, I am drinking water to try and flush out all this sugar
    2. mindful eating :s Not really, or I would not have eaten all this crap
    3. dinner today will be homemade deep dish pizza .. so eat light for lunch :) Yes.. I ate lite for lunch; yogurt and fruit. And I ate just one piece of pizza. Its what I ate in between that is the worse today.
    4. go out for a walk or to the gym :) Did not get to the gym, but got in a 3 mile walk. But my back is bothering me a lot .. I think from digging and getting boxes, etc to put away xmas stuff. As I get older, I have to just do a little at a time. Hate getting older LOL, but, I guess it beats the alternative.
    JFt, Monday, Jan 2
    1. log all food.... watch points and calories. Concentrate on low cal, zero point food today
    2. concentrate on water .. aim for 64 ounces
    3. go to the gym
    4. put away 2 more xmas trees (I put up 5 trees.... 3 are already down). Organize xmas stuff ... this year, I need to get rid of a lot of xmas decorations that I no longer use
    5. read success stories to stay motivated
    6. get back on here .. be accountable!
    Weekly weigh-in... I will weigh myself every Monday. I choose that day because it will help me over the weekends, which is usually my worse time.
    Monday, Jan 2:

A little about me:
    My name is Joan, I will be 72 years old this summer. I am very tall, 5'11", and hope to lose 25-30 pounds. I have 2 grown children, have been married to my husband for 46 years; love to garden, love to walk and exercise, and love to sew.
    My weight history:
    SW Year 2017: 220-217
    SW Year 2018: 195.5
    SW Year 2019 : 206 -- met my goal weight of 178 on December, 2019
    SW Year 2020: 182.6 -- gained 15 pounds through the pandemic
    SW Year 2021: 195
    SW Year 2022: 190 - reached 182 in August. But weight on a slow increase the rest of
    2029. SW Year 2023: 207.8
    Weight Goals:
    SW, Jan 1st, 2023: 207.8
    1st goal weight: 199 - reach this by March
    2nd goal weight: 180 - reach this by July
    Ultimate goal weight: 170-175 - reach this by October
    Monthly Goals:
    Feb: 202
    March: 198
    April: 194 (Hubby and my 46 wedding anniversary)
    May: 190
    June: 186
    July: 182 (my birthday)
    August: 178
    Sept: 174
    October: 170--- Ultimate goal weight
    November: learn to maintain 170
    December: learn to maintain 170
    Personal Goals
    8. To have a better relationship with food. To not think I have to be perfect, and to realize that if I have a bad day .. that is OK. Get right back on track. To give it 80/20 --- meaning if I can stay on track 80% of the time, that is OK. It does not have to be 100%
    9. To keep exercising, and do more strength training
    10. To learn how to plan meals and snacks better.
    11. To listen to podcasts and watch youtubers.. improve my way of thinking about food
    12. To sew at least 20 lap quilts for nursing homes; make at least 25 fidget quilts; make 100 more bears for hospital.
    13. To declutter our house.. keep only what I use!
    My word of the year for 2023: Transformation. I want to "transform" my thoughts about my food relationship. I want to transform my body in how I feel and move.

• mytime6630
    edited January 2023
    @PackerFanInGB : Great job ... -1.2!!! WOO HOO!!! You are off to a great start!!
    Did you do the Corrine workshop? I listened to her podcast while walking today.. about how we "say" our goals.. setting realistic goals, with time tables, etc. I would love to do one of her workshops, but going to give WW a try since that did work for me before. This time I am not doing the workshops though.. doing online only, but it gives me a guideline of what to eat, and hoping to at least kickstart myself.
    We are all going to do great this year!! So happy you are joining again!!
    @more_freggies76 -- I must have missed your post about having covid! I hope you are doing better!

• cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,450 Member
    edited January 2023
    @mytime6620 Thanks Joan for this new thread for this year! Can't wait to see positive things happen.

I decided to keep my Word of the Year, tenacity. I liked it last year, and when I re-read the definition, it causes me to reflect on my goals vs. my temporary "wants". And to reconsider my "excuses".

Recap 12/31 Sat. ~ no logging food: evening at home with sushi, snacks & adult beverage :p
    1) Month end w-i & measurements / log on MFP = 2x :neutral: not crazy about the numbers but it's for my accountability at the start of a new year
    2) Move hourly / >7,500 steps / maybe PT exercises :smiley: 7.7K 18 floors 10/14
    3) Market on Military / Sam's Club / shop online (discount code) ~ decided I didn't need to waste the money / 5:00 church service :smiley:

JFT 1/1 Sunday
    1) Move hourly
    2) Walked dog 4.44 miles ~ took advantage of clear roads & temps in the 30s, saw pileated woodpecker and other dog walkers, jogger, walkers :smiley: happy dog & happy me
    3) Leftover homemade pizza for lunch / pesto whitefish & leftover potato/leek soup for supper / net calories zero / >64 oz. water
    4) Anything productive?
    5) Floss / retainers / pray

About me:
    I'm Carmela
    Height 5'4"
    65 yrs old
    Reside in Green Bay, WI, USA

2023 Goals: mainly updates from prior years
    1) Ultimate goal weight 150#... I'll be satisfied if I can get back down to 160# this year
    • Post weekly weigh-in on MFP for accountability. Saturday a.m. is my "official" weigh-in day, and I track daily on a separate app (for the visual). My digital scale only shows half pound increments & I'm too cheap to buy a fancier scale.
    • Take measurements & log on MFP every month end
    2) Plan meals most days & prelog meals/snacks whenever possible on MFP
    • Try new recipes now that I have the time
    3) Exercise 5-6x per week (minimum 4x) ~ mostly walking dog, treadmill when necessary in winter, and include weights/my home version of circuit & other x-training
    • Continue PT (physical therapy) exercises to strengthen arthritic knees & hip flexor
    4) MapMyWalk app You Vs. the Year 1,023km challenge started on Jan. 1
    • In 2022 I logged 500.4 miles, or 805km. Not the full challenge, but with knee issues early in year, I was happy to get this far.
    5) At least 7,500 steps per day
    • I can earn $10 every month on my Medicare Advantage Plan with 10+ days of 7,500 steps
    6) Participate in my favorite area race events
    • register for Seroogy's Valentine 5K on 2.4.23 ~ I had to cancel in 2022 due to inflammation in knees from overuse & arthritis (medico advised)
    • register for Bellin 10K on 6.10.23 ~ 2022 first time in person since 2019 & not as large of turnout, still 1,000s of participants
    • register for Packers 5K ~ date TBD
    • register for Bellin Women's 5K ~ date TBD (1,000+ for all races in 2022)
    • watch for other events to possibly add
    7) Be considerate and loving to hubby and have fun together
    • Excellent goal previous years, to be continued
    8) Make efforts to keep in touch with parents, siblings and friends (most live in other towns or states)
    • Keeping this goal as well
    • Monthly contact with former colleagues/others in town, now that I'm retired
    9) Continue to declutterbedroom, home office, basement, books in living room
    • Made great progress on first floor of house in 2022, keep going
    Word for 2022-23: Tenacity ~ persistent determination; the mental strength to resist opposition, danger or hardship
  • mytime6630
    1noknsfxt6la.jpg
  • more_freggies76
    JFT for 1/1/2023 (today)✔️
    1) No dessert today unless I want sugarfree or no-sugar added.✔️
    2) None of DH's stash today, including the Mexican sweet breads.✔️
    3) No peanut butter today, 2.5 to 3 T (last 12/28)✔️
    4) Don't weigh again until Monday 1/2 (last 12/22)✔️
    5) No hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/31). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.✔️
    6) No honey today(1-3 Tbsp.). (a little in honey mustard ok)✔️
    7) Nuts ok (22-26 g) or 12-14 in-the-shell nuts, but none of Gary's canned nuts.✔️
    8) No beef jerky today.✔️
    9) Chicken Vienna sausage ok today (last 10/19) (trying not to have higher sodium stuff everyday)✔️Didn't eat today.
    10) Sweet potato and/or pumpkin ok today.✔️Didn't eat today.
    11) Tamale ok today✔️Didn't eat today.
    Hour commitment - I won't eat again until tomorrow.

JFT for 1/2/2023 (tomorrow)✔️
    1) Can have dessert today.
    2) None of DH's stash today, including the Mexican sweet breads.
    3) No peanut butter today, 2.5 to 3 T (last 12/28)
    4) Don't weigh again until Monday 1/2 (last 12/22)
    5) Up to 1.5 oz hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/31). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.
    6) No honey today(1-3 Tbsp.). (a little in honey mustard ok)
    7) Nuts ok (22-26 g) or 12-14 in-the-shell nuts, but none of Gary's canned nuts.
    8) No beef jerky today.
    9) Chicken Vienna sausage ok today (last 10/19) (trying not to have higher sodium stuff everyday)
    10) Sweet potato and/or pumpkin ok today.
    11) Tamale ok today
    ================== 4DW started =============
    Since MFP is going to close the blogs soon, I have to move my 4DWs (4 Day Wins) here.
    Now in shared file:

***Starting again, but slowly

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zarlETHtkiVUD1O6BKpHA7GCNFJS8IdF/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=108259155343870939869&rtpof=true&sd=true

• emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    About me:
    - I’m Emily. 5’4, 31 years old, joined this app and this thread to get into healthier habits and try to gain some weight. I also want to improve my mental health (get my anxiety under better control). In addition to goals I’m going to try to post one good thing that happened to me every day, to help me focus more on the positives.

Goals for 1/2:
    - Log all food and water
    - Yoga
    - Crochet

Daily gratitude: Visited with my parents today which is always nice. And their dog just about lost her mind when she saw me, which is always entertaining.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    @mytime6630 - Thank you for starting off another year.

My commitment to myself this year is to be consistent. I’m going to log my food, the good - the bad and the ugly.
    I’m also going to start my excel sheet for tracking my weight loss and log in here daily.

I know this thread works and I know tracking my food works. I did lose 4lbs in the 5lb challenge for the end of the year. Well I think I did anyway, my scale is all over the place!

I am starting the year at 193.6 this is lower than last year but not where I want to be. My hip injury from 2019 really set me back, I am feeling better 80% of the time now. Not tonight. I did too much taking Christmas down yesterday, then went and sat in a theatre for 3 hours! Today I took Michaela shopping for her birthday on Tuesday and malls really don’t help me. Hopefully I’ll feel better tomorrow again.

So JFT - Jan 1st
    Log all Food - 🙂
    Drink 2L Water - 1.5
    Visit JFT - 🙂

Jan 2nd
    Log all Food
    Drink 2L water
    Visit JFT

Happy New Year - I’ve missed you!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited January 2023
    Thanks for the new thread @mytime6630, always love a brand new thread!

This year.. I actually want to do this. Lose my weight. Not next year, not the year after that, THIS year.
    Last year or the year before, I lost 30lbs to stress. And despite losing the weight in an unhealthy (but unintentional) way, I still looked really good and wasn't even at goal weight. But I've gained all of it back now. Which in a good way means I'm happy again but also means I'm getting fat again which is making me unhappy.
    I've not really done the maths but I want to lose the 30lb again by the end of the year. I'm hoping that's doable? I'll do the maths later. It's not my forte.

My "Why" for this year is gonna be Why Not? I am the master of excuses. And I need to cut them out. But if my ask myself why not, why not eat healthy, why not exercise today. I can never come up with a reason as to why I shouldn't be doing it.
    Not a good enough one anyway, it all comes down to laziness, in a way.

Right now I'm self-diagnosed ADHD. But looking at going to the Dr to get an official diagnosis. That might take time but need to get the ball rolling at least. I think that's alot of where my struggles are coming from at the minute. Sometimes its really really hard to focus and to get myself in action to do the things I wanna do. It's more like procrastination than laziness. I want to do what I need to do but my brain is just like "nope" sometimes.

Anyway let's start with Stats.

Name: Bex
    SW: 177lbs
    GW: 150lbs
    UltimateGW: 140lbs

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Our year has started out a little inconvenient. The bank's froze for "fraud" but it was just a direct debit reattempting. So not an issue but is an issue because banks are closed on the bank holidays so won't be up an running til tomorrow when the fraud team can check and reactivate the account.
    So borrowed money off my dad to get some food shopping in but just had to get the essentials. So not really any healthy options. I can make it work. It's fine.

When we do the big food shop when the accounts free then we can get lots more healthy options.

Started my day with a sugar free cup of tea 😬 it's not great but not bad, I'll get used to it. Trying to cut out the sugar as much as I can. The girls chocolate has finally ran out! Yayyyy

Anyway im just droning on now..

JFT 2nd Jan 2023
    - Log all food
    - 6 waters
    - Get the house tidy
  • more_freggies76
    edited January 2023
    JFT for 1/2/2023 (today)✔️
    1) Can have dessert today.
    2) None of DH's stash today, including the Mexican sweet breads.
    3) No peanut butter today, 2.5 to 3 T (last 12/28)
    4) Don't weigh again until Monday 1/2 (last 12/22)
    5) Up to 1.5 oz hard cheese today (trying not to have cheese everyday) (last 12/31). Note: some grated parmigiana cheese has always been allowed and doesn't count towards hard cheese. Hard cheese at restaurant ok. Can have cheese with restaurant meals.
    6) No honey today(1-3 Tbsp.). (a little in honey mustard ok)
    7) Nuts ok (22-26 g) or 12-14 in-the-shell nuts, but none of Gary's canned nuts.
    8) No beef jerky today.
    9) Chicken Vienna sausage ok today (last 10/19) (trying not to have higher sodium stuff everyday)
    10) Sweet potato and/or pumpkin ok today.
    11) Tamale ok today

Hour commitment - After I finish my coffee, I won't eat again until after 12 pm.
    ================== 4DW started =============
    Since MFP is going to close the blogs soon, I have to move my 4DWs (4 Day Wins) here.
    Now in shared file:

***Starting again, but slowly

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zarlETHtkiVUD1O6BKpHA7GCNFJS8IdF/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=108259155343870939869&rtpof=true&sd=true